Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Santa Margarita Gun Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Santa Margarita Gun Club Competitive Shooting Sports for Active and Retired Military, civilians and juniors

Old 06-05-2008, 7:49 PM

Default Vintage Rifle/Garand Match Weekend at SMGC

QUOTE=JHermsen;1257798]The Vintage Rifle Match, June 29 is the perfect place to bring out the old bolt action military rifles; Schmidt-Rubin, Moisin Nagant, Mauser, Krag, Lee, Lebel and Mannlicher as well as the venerable Springfield are all welcome at the Match.

Vintage Uniforms and apparel are greatly appreciated.

As I said it's the perfect place to take the old war horse out for a workout![/QUOTE]
Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 PM

I was looking at the schedule I printed off the club's website, and I'm a bit confused about what match is on each day. Are both days the same or are there different matches being held on each day? Are there going to be separate John C Garand and Vintage Rifle matches or are they going to be shot concurrently? I always thought that John C. Garand matches are limited to US military arms (1903, M1, etc) while Vintage Rifle matches are open to rifles from other countries. Am I correct, or am I mixing it up with something else?

Could someone please clear this up with me?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

The course of fire for games matches - Garand match, Springfield match, Vintage Military match - can be shot concurrently assuming a 30 round course of fire with 5 sighters.

The "Course A" match has 15 rounds in slow fire prone (5 sighters, 10 for record), 10 rounds in rapid fire prone, and 10 rounds in slow fire standing. Slow fire prone is 15 mins. Rapid fire prone is 70 seconds for Garand matches and 80 seconds for Springfield/Vintage. Slow fire standing is 10 mins. If you run Garand/Springfield/Vintage competitors on the line at the same time, then the only difference is rapid fire stage allots 80 seconds as opposed to only 70 seconds (so Garand shooters have the 'benefit' of the extra 10 seconds). Personally, 70 seconds is plenty of time to shoot either semi or bolt action in rapid fire prone. After all, you're shooting on an SR target @ 200 yards in the prone supported position. But I digress...

While I can't say for sure how it will be run, I'm pretty sure there will be only one match for each day, mixing whoever is there in the same match, whether it's Garand, Springfield, or Vintage. That's how the CMP Western Games are run.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 PM

Thanks for the clarification. If that's how the games are normally run, I assume that the match at SMGC won't be that much different.

Now I have to choose between Garand, Springfield, or Enfield....hmmmmmm
Old 06-30-2008, 8:18 PM

Default Many Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for putting on the vintage service rifle match. You all put on a great clinic and everyone there was more than helpful. Being my first time at a competitive rifle match, and only the second time I'd shot my M1, all involved made me feel welcome and provided a wealth of information for me. Thanks again and I'll see you all at the next practice.

~Kevin
Old 07-02-2008, 2:07 PM

Dear Sir,

I'm glad you had a good time as that is what we strive for! There were a lot of new shooters and some of our old timers that made for a great time with some fantastic scores and very close competition.

I would like to see more of the many different vintage rifles representing other countries; I was not disappointed however, when I saw an SMLE and several Moisin-Nagants as well as others being fired that weekend. Good for you guys!

I anticipate our next Vintage Rifle Match/J.C. Garand to be a larger event as we will have notice out much more in advance.

Dave Jordan gave an excellent class for the clinic portion after which we transitioned to live fire on Saturday. We started earlier for competition on Sunday, finishing firing at about 12:30 with fantastic conditions (good light, no wind).

Be sure to tell your friends and mark the calender for the next one 'cause they sure are a ton of fun.

Sincerely,

John Hermsen, COB
SMGC
Old 07-06-2008, 8:12 AM

I enjoyed the match as well; most of the participants were helpful and curteous.
A blowhorn or pa system would be helpful for hearing range commands.