Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-25-2008, 6:46 PM

Default How do you use the M1 Garand Sights?

...I've lost the PM where HighPowerShooter explains it. I've felt well enough(ankle injury) to clean my M1 and shoot it last Friday. At 50 yards, I raised the elevation knob 7 clicks from the bottom. How much do you adjust to known distances(75, 100)?

Old 05-25-2008, 6:58 PM

Old 05-25-2008, 7:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

well i normally make it so i am looking through the rear hole lining up the tip top of the front sight right in the middle

one nob adjusts for uppy downy

the other lefty righty

i adjust as needed
Old 05-25-2008, 7:18 PM

Love that reddish hue on the stock.
Old 05-25-2008, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

8 clicks of elevation should be zeroed in at 100 yards using a navy hold; that is the tip of the front post will be where the bullet goes. The other knob adjusts windage; the mark on the rear sight that moves should be lined up with the biggest line in the middle.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 05-27-2008, 5:35 PM
Calguns Addict

If you really want to be accurate, you need to unscrew the elevation knob and then zero at 100 yards. Next record your number of clicks or knob reading at distance at 200, 300, etc. Keep it on a small card so you can easily take it to the range.

I bet your rifle is very accurate by the looks of that crown.
Old 05-27-2008, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Adjust windage by centering the rear sight and get on target by sliding the front sight until you are in the X ring. Use the windage adjustment to adjust when the wind is blowing not to zero the rifle.
Old 05-27-2008, 6:59 PM

OK, here's a question. My garand shoots about 5 inches high at 100 yards with the rear sight completely bottomed out. What could possibly be the problem?
Old 05-27-2008, 7:21 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic View Post
OK, here's a question. My garand shoots about 5 inches high at 100 yards with the rear sight completely bottomed out. What could possibly be the problem?
It could be several things...

1.bent barrel
2.improper stock fit
3.too tight of a handguard fit (either front or rear)
4.Improper sight picture or aiming procedure.

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 05-27-2008, 7:42 PM

Quote:
It could be several things...

1.bent barrel
2.improper stock fit
3.too tight of a handguard fit (either front or rear)
4.Improper sight picture or aiming procedure.
What's also really odd to me is that at 50 yards, the zero is just fine, but at 100 the point of impact actually goes higher. I would expect at longer range for it to go lower.
Thanks for the info... is it possible that I just need a taller front post? I've heard this can be a problem, too.
TIA
-Nic

Last edited by nic; 05-27-2008 at 7:45 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 7:55 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic View Post
. is it possible that I just need a taller front post? I've heard this can be a problem, too.
TIA
-Nic
oppss!! That should have been my #5. Too short of a front sight.

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 05-27-2008, 7:59 PM

Quote:
oppss!! That should have been my #5. Too short of a front sight.
Whew! Numbers 2-5 seem to be relatively easy fixes, but BENT BARREL? You had me scared for a minute, there.
OK, so how can I check the items on your list?
Thanks so much for the help!
_Nic
Old 05-31-2008, 3:31 AM

IIRC here's what you can do. (keep in mind it's late, and I'm kinda tired, so I may be a bit wrong.) Anyways, that said, here goes:

You can check the barrel by putting a metal straightedge along it, if there's a gap, you've got a bent barrel. Kind of unlikely but definitely possible.

The stock should not touch the barrel at all, when the action is sitting in the stock, you should be able to slide a piece of paper around the barrel with ease.

Same as above for the rear handguard plus there should also be a gap between the rear handguard & receiver that you can slide a credit card into.

For the front handguard the barrel should only touch at the metal ferules and have a little bit of sideways wiggle. Wiggle up and down the barrel when the gas cylinder & rear handguard is attached is not good.

Sight picture I always go with the "baseball on a fence post" picture. Where whatever I'm aiming at sits on top of the front post. Kinda like an " i " but with no space between the dot and the upright.

Also ensure that the trigger group locks up nice and tight. It should take a bit of effort to close. Any wiggle room here is no good. You may have to bed the trigger group area w/ a little bit of epoxy if it doesn't lock up nice and snug.

Additionally, check to make sure the oprod moves smoothly. When connected to the bolt (but w/o the spring) and properly lubed (make sure there's not too much grease as this can cause friction) the action should move on its own when the rifle is tilted at a 45 degree.

Last but not least, make sure the rear sight aperture is nice and snug. If you can wiggle it up and down or left right, you'll want to take the cover off and bend it a little bit so as to put a bit more pressure on the aperture.

Hope that helps. I know it can be a bit of a pain in the butt getting everything situated, I'm currently diagnosing some issues with a buildup I'm doing of a Winchester receiver I put a criterion barrel on. My stock was just barely touching the barrel but it was enough to make it shoot to the left a good foot at 25 yards. It's worth the trouble though when you're shooting out the bullseye @ 100 yards.

Edit: OK, I lied. Last thing you want to check is when you're shooting, be it standing, sitting, prone or from a bench rest, make sure that the rifle is supported behind the front sling swivel. If you're laying the rifle on the front handguard, you're affecting the harmonics of the rifle which will affect the accuracy.

Last edited by Chach; 05-31-2008 at 3:59 AM..
Old 05-31-2008, 8:16 AM

Default Same Issue

I have the same issue with my M1, the elevation is cranked all the way down and I am striking high at 100yrds. I always assumed that my rifle was adjusted by the arsenal for 200yrd or 300yrd and now that I am mainly shooting at 100yrd I would have to get a new front Tall Sight.

Thanks for the great post above, I need to do more research. Also, below is a previous post on the impact point.

Previous Post Reply on Trajectory
While bullets certainly have a trajectory and arch, you're seeing the effect of the difference in height and angle between the sights and the bore.

When you line up the sights on a target at 50 yards, the barrel has to be pointed up to intersect your line of sight.

When you moved the target back to 100 yards your 50 yard zero caused the bullet to pass above the sight plane and strike the target high.

By doing a battlesight zero at 25 meters, you'll also be fairly closely zero'd at 300 meters. Bullet path and line of sight intersect at 25 meters, then the bullet climbs and arches down again to intersect your line of sight at 300 meters.

Last edited by plinker; 05-31-2008 at 8:21 AM..
Old 05-31-2008, 9:31 PM

You have an M1 Garand and want to learn how to uses the various sighting tools on the rifle, then go back in time and watch this W2 Training Movie. Note there is part2 on the same page; part 2 contains "elevation and windage"

WW2 Training Film
http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle...1_Rifle_Part_1

And also check out the W2 Training Manual (1943)
http://www.archive.org/details/How_t..._US_Army_Rifle

Last edited by davep; 05-31-2008 at 9:44 PM..