Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:30 PM

Default Which Mini-14 Strut is Better?

Hey everyone!
Need help deciding

Accu-Strut
or
Har-Bar
Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Ive only heard good reviews about the Accu-Strut but YMMV.
Old 05-22-2008, 5:30 AM

Accu-Strut. He is the one that came up with the idea and did a lot of testing, to get the product right. He had some medical problems and took a long time to get the strut to market. The other guy is just a copy cat.
Old 05-22-2008, 4:01 PM

Please forgive my ignorance but just what the hell are you guys talking about????
Old 05-22-2008, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Don't You Hate it When that Happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanski56 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance but just what the hell are you guys talking about????
Well, on this one I happen to know the answer but I've been in the same boat.

The Accustrut and copy is a device that attaches to a Mini 14 barrel with the intent of making it more rigid and more accurate - or making it "vibrate" more consistently for better accuracy. The Mini 14's whippy little barrel is notorious for iffy accuracy. Note that Ruger's newer Mini has a much stouter and shorter barrel.
Old 05-22-2008, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanski56 View Post
This: http://www.accu-strut.com/

Mini-14's are not that accurate 2-3" at 100 yds. This improves the accuracy by "50-75%" I wont know for sure until I get mine back out to the range.

AKA RAD-G27

Old 05-22-2008, 4:16 PM

2''-3'' ON A GOOD LUCKY DAY. IT'S MORE LIKE 4-5'' THEN THE PENCIL THIN BARREL HEATS UP AND YOUR GROUPS JUST OPEN UP TOO! CAN'T COMMENT ON THE NEW TARGET MODEL BUT IT BETTER BE AN IMPROVEMENT. I STILL LOVE TAKING THE MINI OUT JUST DON'T EXPECT TACK DRIVER RESULTS. FOR THAT....GOOD OLL REM 700P (308)
Old 05-22-2008, 4:17 PM

Accu-Strut all the way - unless you want to make your own. The other product is an imitation and not as well made from what I've seen.

Mind you, for Accu-Strut to do its stuff, you must have stock bedded as loose stock to receiver fit results in the worst accuracy... Barrel whip is mostly responsible for stringing, so Accu-Strut is not something you put onto a stock mini unless your stock fits snug...

Still, every review I've read seems to suggest that it does what it advertises.

"If we know, then we must fight for your life as though it were our own…. For if they take you in the morning, they will be coming for us that night." - James Baldwin
Old 05-22-2008, 4:19 PM

Oh I get it now, thanks gents. I attached a picture of my Mini-14 that I had a gunsmith in Oregon give a total once over. This thing shoots pretty damn near 1 MOA. On a very good day (meaning i'm actually doing my part) it will shoot 1 MOA.

You can't see it too well on this particular picture but I added an Amega Ranges Mini Scout Mount that actually clamps the barrel in two places. It replaces the top of the original gas block and clamps again a little ways back towards the receiver. Makes things very rigid. I also had the barrel cut to 16.25" and added a Smith muzzle brake. I also had the stock bedded, a trigger job, reduced orifice gas block bushing (spent cases basically drop at my feet with no cycling problems), olive drab Dura Coat. This is definitely not an off the shelf Mini and I just love this beast.

Have a nice day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00389.JPG (61.7 KB, 147 views)
Old 05-22-2008, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrich View Post
2''-3'' ON A GOOD LUCKY DAY. IT'S MORE LIKE 4-5'' THEN THE PENCIL THIN BARREL HEATS UP AND YOUR GROUPS JUST OPEN UP TOO! CAN'T COMMENT ON THE NEW TARGET MODEL BUT IT BETTER BE AN IMPROVEMENT. I STILL LOVE TAKING THE MINI OUT JUST DON'T EXPECT TACK DRIVER RESULTS. FOR THAT....GOOD OLL REM 700P (308)
I'm mainly a hand gun person, just a few of the long guns. I picked it up used (just a few hundred rounds) with a Leuopold scope for $600, figured a semi-auto .223 was a good thing to have if SHTF. If S does HTF, 4-5" at 100 Yds will work for me.

AKA RAD-G27