Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:04 AM

Default Rust on a Remington 700 PSS Barrel

Took my Remington 700 PSS out of the safe today and I noticed some light surface rust on the barrel. I wanted some advice and feedback before I attempted to do anything. I was think of getting some 0000 steel wool and a liberal amount of CLP or Rem Oil and attempt to remove the rust. Obviously I will use a light amount of pressure and inspecting thoroguhly as I go. Is this a good idea to remove the light rust? The Remington has the parkerized finish on the barrel.

Any feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2008, 6:16 AM

Hmm, mine looked rusty new right out of the box under a strong Maglight. Under sun light it seems fine - are you viewing under normal light or a flash-light? I ask because recall that the parked finish is a controlled rust.

If you are seeing true rust from moisture, true using a bronze brush and Hoppies #9. This will not harm the finish but should remove any rust. Wipe off the Hoppies/bronze marks after and oil well. Also suggest getting a dehumidifier for the safe and airing out weekly.
Old 05-14-2008, 6:22 AM
Calguns Addict

I'd go with the 0000 and oil. Don't rub lengthwise either or the "grain" of the
finish will change. ;-)
Old 05-14-2008, 5:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback . I appreciate your input.
Old 05-14-2008, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclepath View Post
Took my Remington 700 PSS out of the safe today and I noticed some light surface rust on the barrel. I wanted some advice and feedback before I attempted to do anything. I was think of getting some 0000 steel wool and a liberal amount of CLP or Rem Oil and attempt to remove the rust. Obviously I will use a light amount of pressure and inspecting thoroguhly as I go. Is this a good idea to remove the light rust? The Remington has the parkerized finish on the barrel.

Any feedback or experience would be greatly appreciated.
What your doing is fine, it's always a good idea to remove rust, as rust begets rust.

And just so ya know, that's not actually parkerizing, it's a special finish that remington puts on, and really can't be matched by anyone other than remington.
Old 05-14-2008, 5:38 PM

Thanks. Yes, I didn't think it was parkerizing. Just didnt know how to describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar View Post
What your doing is fine, it's always a good idea to remove rust, as rust begets rust.

And just so ya know, that's not actually parkerizing, it's a special finish that remington puts on, and really can't be matched by anyone other than remington.
Old 05-14-2008, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

A penny works pretty well too.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785