Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2008, 12:28 PM
devjunk762 devjunk762 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 341
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default WTK : Colt King Cobra Prices / Values?

What would you guys estimate the value of NIB Colt King Cobra in 4" and 8" lengths to be?
I have the opportunity to pick these up for $575 and $625, respectively. Good deal or no?

Thanks,

Will

(Yikes, based on these answers I need to pick these up today! So, exactly how does one gracefully excuse themselves from mothers' day celebrations to buy a handgun?)

Last edited by devjunk762; 05-11-2008 at 1:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2008, 12:34 PM
apbrian112's Avatar
apbrian112 apbrian112 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dodgertown
Posts: 3,016
iTrader: 84 / 100%
Default

i believe this belongs in the "handguns forum"... this is the FS forum... a good reference would be the various auction sites: gunbroker, guns america, etc. and then add a premium if the firearms are not on the CA list.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2008, 12:36 PM
TacFan's Avatar
TacFan TacFan is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern Cali
Posts: 2,732
iTrader: 140 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devjunk762 View Post
What would you guys estimate the value of NIB Colt King Cobra in 4" and 8" lengths to be?
I have the opportunity to pick these up for $575 and $625, respectively. Good deal or no?

Thanks,

Will
tell me where you found these and I will inspect them and let you know if it's a good deal
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2008, 12:39 PM
liketoshoot's Avatar
liketoshoot liketoshoot is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: in peace with my wife and dog
Posts: 3,828
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

No I think you should pass on these, but I'll gladly check them out also.
Are they in socal?
__________________

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2008, 1:10 PM
ivanimal's Avatar
ivanimal ivanimal is offline
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: East Bay
Posts: 13,777
iTrader: 176 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I bought a 6" blued for 475 and a 4" stainless for 400. I would pay what they are asking for yours in a minute. Remember the Cobra was the inexpensive brother of the Python and will be a less custom finish and product. Still a fine gun and very collectible.
__________________
"I would kill for a Nobel peace prize." Steven Wright"
Board Member CGSSA Donate now!
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-2008, 9:00 PM
devjunk762 devjunk762 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 341
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default

Guys- thanks on the price report.

Picked up the following today @ Markley's in Watsonville:
* Colt Python 4" (LNIB condition- no box, oh well)
* Colt Python 8" (LNIB condition- included old box and plastic wrapper)
* Colt Lawman 2" (LNIB condition- included old box and plastic wrapper)

I'm letting you guys know where I bought these because there's still a Colt Detective in LNIB condition ($525), Colt Lawman ($500'ish) in Satin finish, both of which were calling to me. Apparently, the got a run of REALLY nice guns because a big, old time collector passed away and his wife is putting ALL the firearms on consignment- at reasonable prices. Please, for the love of god, spare my VISA card and marriage and BUY these fine hand guns. You really won't be disappointed!

And, I've made a gun-pig of myself today!

Last edited by devjunk762; 05-11-2008 at 9:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-11-2008, 9:31 PM
bwiese's Avatar
bwiese bwiese is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 26,770
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I picked up a *nice* bliued King Cobra a few weeks ago for (can't remember) $450ish.

Gonna lose the Hogues and put wood grips on.
__________________

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 05-11-2008 at 9:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-2008, 9:49 PM
devjunk762 devjunk762 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 341
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default

I second the wood grips idea. The ponies need some wood!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 PM
JTROKS's Avatar
JTROKS JTROKS is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorCal - Bay Area
Posts: 9,204
iTrader: 126 / 100%
Default

Where do you find $500ish King Cobras? There was one in here that sold for $850 $" stainless about a month ago. I just don't get prices just going up when I'm out looking for them. Argghhhh...
__________________
The wise man said just find your place
In the eye of the storm
Seek the roses along the way
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-12-2008, 12:52 AM
PzKfW's Avatar
PzKfW PzKfW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 896
iTrader: 66 / 100%
Default

JTROKS, it's because they're down south.
__________________
The Right Stuff [tm]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-12-2008, 1:29 AM
5150Marcelo 5150Marcelo is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,848
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Default

Awwww man! I saw King Cobra so i thought there was a party going on in here! Chit! I was like... pass me a cold one! lol
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-12-2008, 8:12 AM
JTROKS's Avatar
JTROKS JTROKS is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorCal - Bay Area
Posts: 9,204
iTrader: 126 / 100%
Default

Well, I don't see Colt making any more revolvers. The King Cobra (not the beer) has always been in my list of revolvers. I have one so now my quest is for a 6" 686 (no dash preferred, certainly no lock/MIM) . I had one in my grasp and I let it go. Boooo hoo hoo.... Back to the subject. Here's my King Cobra:



__________________
The wise man said just find your place
In the eye of the storm
Seek the roses along the way
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine

Last edited by JTROKS; 05-12-2008 at 8:13 AM.. Reason: added pix
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-12-2008, 8:37 AM
bwiese's Avatar
bwiese bwiese is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Jose
Posts: 26,770
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS
...have one so now my quest is for a 6" 686 (no dash preferred, certainly no lock/MIM)
Why would you want a no-dash version? Those product improvements exist for a reason (!)

Unless you're a real collector, for a gun you shoot you're better off getting a modern 686 (or better yet, a 686Plus w/7 shot cylinder). MIM parts are more consistent, today's barrels are better. The lock can be disabled too.

My late 80s 686-2 isn't as good as buddy's 2005 model 686+. And I love my 2005 625 and wouldn't trade it for a 1980s no-lock/no-MIM version.
__________________

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-12-2008, 9:35 AM
JTROKS's Avatar
JTROKS JTROKS is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorCal - Bay Area
Posts: 9,204
iTrader: 126 / 100%
Default

A collection is what I'm after. During my younger years I couldn't afford all the revolvers I wanted. When I visit the magazine stand in our base BX, the revolvers that graced the covers of gun rags were 686, GP100, King Cobra and so on, but the 3 6" revolvers that caught my eye were those 3 mentioned. It looks like I have a bonifide King Cobra from the era, I know for a fact the GP100s are, so a 686 no dash or -1 will have to be it. I already have a 686P that I intend to shoot more than the 686 no dash.
__________________
The wise man said just find your place
In the eye of the storm
Seek the roses along the way
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:15 AM
jamesob's Avatar
jamesob jamesob is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: exeter
Posts: 4,763
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

i have a super polish king cobra with a 6" barrel and turned down 700.00 for it. look on gunbroker and you will see what they go for.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
JTROKS's Avatar
JTROKS JTROKS is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorCal - Bay Area
Posts: 9,204
iTrader: 126 / 100%
Default

Yeah! I had someone offer me $450 on a S&W revolver and when I said no, he said they weren't that uncommon. I smiled and said, "OK start looking". You know, the biggest thing I hate about it all is that the DOJ approved list prevents us from buying out of state. Grrrr... So, it all depends on how bad someone wants to sell it or buy it.
__________________
The wise man said just find your place
In the eye of the storm
Seek the roses along the way
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-13-2008, 2:15 PM
devjunk762 devjunk762 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 341
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Well, I don't see Colt making any more revolvers. The King Cobra (not the beer) has always been in my list of revolvers. I have one so now my quest is for a 6" 686 (no dash preferred, certainly no lock/MIM) . I had one in my grasp and I let it go. Boooo hoo hoo.... Back to the subject. Here's my King Cobra:



Is that an 8"? The reason I'm asking is because I just got an 8", but it's original box was styrofoam with a cardboardy wrapper. From the looks of the "box", I pegged the pistol to be from the late 1980's... By the way, really sweet pistol you got there! Have you ever thought about scoping it?

Last edited by devjunk762; 05-13-2008 at 2:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-13-2008, 2:29 PM
devjunk762 devjunk762 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 341
iTrader: 54 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Why would you want a no-dash version? Those product improvements exist for a reason (!)

Unless you're a real collector, for a gun you shoot you're better off getting a modern 686 (or better yet, a 686Plus w/7 shot cylinder). MIM parts are more consistent, today's barrels are better. The lock can be disabled too.

My late 80s 686-2 isn't as good as buddy's 2005 model 686+. And I love my 2005 625 and wouldn't trade it for a 1980s no-lock/no-MIM version.
I disagree with you...somewhat. If product improvements existed for a reason, then more people would be using Windows Vista... O.k., that was a low-blow. Personally, I like the older pre-lock S&W's myself- they have more character than some of the newer pistols I've seen.

However, I also find that when when I'm in the market for a semi-auto pistol, especially the polymer-pistols, I'm shopping for consistency and reliability. Revolvers, however, are a whole different class of handgun in my mind... I like character in my revolver.

For "war" situations, the new semi-autos have revolvers beat "hands-down"- better ergonomics, better ROF, better recoil management. But, I don't go looking at these old revolvers as the penultimate, SHTF weapon (although they could fling some S back)- I but these because of the looks, style, finish, and handling. Just my VERY biased 2 cents worth.

Oh, yeah, and these older revolvers aren't listed as "blessed" on the CA DOJ bible of "good handguns". You gotta' like a pistol that's on the "naughty" list.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-13-2008, 2:56 PM
PzKfW's Avatar
PzKfW PzKfW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 896
iTrader: 66 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devjunk762 View Post
You gotta' like a pistol that's on the "naughty" list.
You just know that Cobra wants you to spank it.
__________________
The Right Stuff [tm]
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-13-2008, 4:30 PM
Moonclip's Avatar
Moonclip Moonclip is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 4,423
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I think these are ok prices for out of CA and somewhat better than ok for CA. By no means a steal. I stupidly passed a Anaconda 6" .44mag for $500 recently though. I was broke though. Colt deals are out there still if you look and you are lucky. I saw a newer blued 2" Colt DS 95%+ for $400 recently.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:41 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.