Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-15-2014, 7:18 PM

Default My experience at Appleseed: Day 1

I just attended day 1 of my first Appleseed event, and man was it a blast! For only $60 you get 2 full days (7 hours each) of instruction on rifle marksmanship (interspersed with the occasional 5min speech about the beginnings of the Revolutionary War and the Patriots who fought so that we can enjoy the liberty we so often take for granted). Compared to most firearms training, that is an incredible deal to say the least.

The instructors are great and I really learned a lot the first day (especially about using a sling correctly). It's amazing how much a properly adjusted/positioned sling can improve your shooting... with that piece of wisdom and other tips given by instructors, my groups shrunk significantly throughout the day.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful: one of the instructors (Mike) let me use his shooting mat so I didn't have to use my thin beach towel, and another (Joe) gave me his USGI sling for the day since I haven't bought my own yet. Another shooter/student offered to sell me a coupe hundred rounds of his ammo in case I ran out. Overall, it's an event full of good people learning what every American should know how to do: accurately shoot a rifle up to 400 yards. I initially wanted to go to an event at a 100+ yard range, but even at 25 yards the drills are challenging with the right targets (which simulate longer ranges). I'm SO gladI didn't wait until Spring to attend a longer range event.

My first AQT score put me in the Marksman category, but after a few tweaks to my technique and strategy I scored 188 (Sharpshooter). Tomorrow, I hope to improve even more and earn the coveted "Rifleman" badge, and I'm confident the instructors will help me get there by the end of the day!

If you've never heard of Appleseed or the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, check them out. You'd be hard pressed to find a better or more affordable way of improving your skills with a rifle, and as a bonus you will learn about the events of April 19th, 1775 and be reminded of your duty as an American to become a Rifleman and honor those brave men who sacrificed so much so that we can enjoy the freedoms we have today.

Update on Day 2 coming soon!
Old 11-15-2014, 7:56 PM

Great report. Looking forward to day 2.

ratled
Old 11-15-2014, 7:56 PM

Sounds like you're doing great...keep us updated!
Old 11-15-2014, 8:39 PM

Sounds good, I'm planning on going to one this coming December. What rifle/caliber did you use? If you don't mind me asking?

I plan on using my .223/5.56 but not sure.... Might bring my 10/22 instead...
Old 11-15-2014, 9:02 PM

Great report! i would love to go to an Appleseed event. I'm also curious as to what you were shooting? I would be thinking either my carbine or M1A.
Old 11-15-2014, 9:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good for you OP, what we need is more riflemen

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 11-15-2014, 9:43 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
Good for you OP, what we need is more riflemen
Your avatar is hilarious.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Hobnobbin' with a Goblin
CGN Contributor

I need to do an Appleseed with my son this year.
Where's your class at?
-g
Old 11-16-2014, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lsmc7 View Post
Sounds good, I'm planning on going to one this coming December. What rifle/caliber did you use? If you don't mind me asking?

I plan on using my .223/5.56 but not sure.... Might bring my 10/22 instead...
I brought my new S&W M&P15 Sport (5.56) that I picked up on Friday. It's my first AR and so far it's run great, no malfunctions in roughly 200rds. Can't really comment on accuracy yet because I haven't benched it yet. I took it apart on Friday night and degreased it, then heated up the parts and applied FrogLube, and didn't have to do any extra lubing during the class yesterday. It ran like a champ! After today I will post pics with a separate range report specifically for my new rifle, I just wanted to do this review of Appleseed separately.

I would definitely bring your AR/M1A or other centerfire rifle as long a cost of ammo isn't an issue. You'll need roughly 400rds. Most people at the event had centerfire rifles, only a few brought rimfire. Either would work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
I need to do an Appleseed with my son this year.
Where's your class at?
-g
It's at Sac Valley Shooting Center, about 15mi off the Sunrise exit from highway 50. I HIGHLY recommend taking your son to one, there's another event at the same location in December I believe. If I don't make Rifleman today, I may attend that one as well.

Last edited by weaverftw; 11-16-2014 at 6:30 AM..
Old 11-16-2014, 6:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Your avatar is hilarious.
Makes you do a double take with my handle, doesn't it

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 11-16-2014, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverftw View Post
I brought my new S&W M&P15 Sport (5.56) that I picked up on Friday. It's my first AR and so far it's run great, no malfunctions in roughly 200rds. Can't really comment on accuracy yet because I haven't benched it yet. I took it apart on Friday night and degreased it, then heated up the parts and applied FrogLube, and didn't have to do any extra lubing during the class yesterday. It ran like a champ! After today I will post pics with a separate range report specifically for my new rifle, I just wanted to do this review of Appleseed separately.

I would definitely bring your AR/M1A or other centerfire rifle as long a cost of ammo isn't an issue. You'll need roughly 400rds. Most people at the event had centerfire rifles, only a few brought rimfire. Either would work though.

It's at Sac Valley Shooting Center, about 15mi off the Sunrise exit from highway 50. I HIGHLY recommend taking your son to one, there's another event at the same location in December I believe. If I don't make Rifleman today, I may attend that one as well.
Sounds good! That's the place/class I plan on attending. I have been trying to get a couple of my buddies to attend, so far only convinced one guy but that's better than none I suppose. Who knows maybe I'll see you there.

Waiting on day 2 results as well...
Old 11-16-2014, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Do you guys have any Winterseeds in CA?
Old 11-16-2014, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
I don't think there are ever any appleseed events in CA at any ranges where you could actually call it a winterseed. There are still appleseed shoots during the winter, but I don't think "oh no, it might be 50-something degrees with a chance of sprinkling" really qualifies as inclement weather.
Old 11-16-2014, 9:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You guys still have mountains with BLM land!
Old 11-16-2014, 6:09 PM

Day 2 was great! Total round count: 397. No failures of any kind, my AR ran flawlessly and I didn't even have to add lube (it was cleaned and lubed before starting obviously).

I scored a 204 on the AQT today, up from my first score on Sat of 144 and my last score on Sat of 188. Not quite the 210 I needed to get a Rifleman badge, but I think the steady increase in my scores speaks volumes about the quality of the instruction. I will definitely be attending another Appleseed event soon!

Thanks to all of the instructors for the excellent training and a great time! And if you guys reading this haven't gone to an Appleseed event yet, DO IT!

Last edited by weaverftw; 11-16-2014 at 6:15 PM..
Old 11-16-2014, 6:16 PM
Win win win win
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Thanks for the write up OP!

Great improvement over the course of the weekend. You're SO close!
Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted... -Mac

Old 11-16-2014, 9:29 PM
Corn-fed and Iowa-bred
CGN Contributor

Glad to hear about your experience. I'm really looking forward to getting out to one of these in the near future.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 11-16-2014, 9:42 PM

Thank you sharing, hopefully I could make to the one next month

Sent from my Inspiron 11 - 3147 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Hobnobbin' with a Goblin
CGN Contributor

Congrats on the improvement in score.
-g
Old 11-16-2014, 10:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Good job on your improvement
204 is darned close...
Old 11-17-2014, 5:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice OP! I love me some appleseed. It took me twice to get my rifleman patch, so hang in there! Also, take your kids if you feel they are safe around guns. The instructors are awesome and they will learn a ton about shooting and our history.

Old 11-17-2014, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

They're very good classes. That's where I learned to shoot rifles originally and I do it again every couple of years as a refresher.
Old 11-17-2014, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertjosh View Post
Nice OP! I love me some appleseed. It took me twice to get my rifleman patch, so hang in there! Also, take your kids if you feel they are safe around guns. The instructors are awesome and they will learn a ton about shooting and our history.
If I had kids, I'd take them in a heartbeat! No younguns for me (yet).
Old 11-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Pretty sure we don't have winter in CA.
Old 11-19-2014, 6:51 AM

Here is a link to the Appleseed forum where the Sacramento Appleseed for November is discussed and photos are uploaded: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.p...seen#msg308189

And the next NorCal Appleseed is this weekend Nov 22-23 in Red Bluff: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/red-bluf...ets-9112235943

Last edited by Rock6.3; 11-19-2014 at 7:30 AM..
Old 11-19-2014, 7:50 AM

Default Lodging

I appreciate the great write up on the event. The wife and I are looking into attending the December one.

My question:
For those of you who live close by, where would you stay if you were coming from out of town?

We have family north of Sac an hour + away (which we will drop the dog off with) but don't want to make the hour + drive both mornings.

Simple lodging is all we need, nothing fancy. No security risks please.

Any suggestions?
Regards,
Mike
Old 11-19-2014, 7:57 AM

I use the hotels at the south-east corner of Sunrise and Highway 50. They are clean and your car is not in jeopardy of being broken into. There are not many choices closer to the range unless you go all the way to Ione.

Holiday Inn Rancho Cordova
11269 Point East Dr Rancho Cordova CA
http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels...ail/directions

Last edited by Rock6.3; 11-19-2014 at 8:18 AM..
Old 11-19-2014, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

Congrats! And very nice groups.
I'm super excited to get out to one of these events. Unfortunately, winter is not a fun time of year to be out shooting (mid teens degrees with several inches of blowing snow and -5 degree windchill right now with gusts up to 30 mph). So I'll probably be waiting until Spring.
Old 11-19-2014, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Congrats! And very nice groups.
I'm super excited to get out to one of these events. Unfortunately, winter is not a fun time of year to be out shooting (mid teens degrees with several inches of blowing snow and -5 degree windchill right now with gusts up to 30 mph). So I'll probably be waiting until Spring.
Those conditions result in the awarding of the rare "WinterSeed" version of the Rifleman patch. Colors are changed to ice blue and white (ice version).
Old 11-19-2014, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
They are clean and your car is not in jeopardy of being broken into.
We're on the same page Rock.
Thanks again,
Mike
Old 11-19-2014, 8:22 AM

Nice to hear a report back from one of these events. I have been wanting to get to one for a while now, and this is pushing me over the top to get to one ASAP.

I have 2 questions - you mention a shooting mat, and I know the site says an old piece of carpet would work. Would a yoga mat be even better? Im not trying to be a wuss or anything, but I think the more comfortable I am, the more I would learn.

2nd. - I have a savage .22 and a Keltec SU16. I would rather use the SU16. Which do you all think would be better?

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2014, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Shooting mats have two primary purposes for me:

1. Gives my body contact points a good grip to the ground.

2. Keeps me off the dirt.

Cushioning between my body and ground is not much of a factor. Granted, a good thick mat does help with body contact points and grip, but the surface of the mat is probably more important to this regard.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 11-19-2014, 8:27 AM

Shooting mat: The ground is dirt and gravel. A piece of carpet works great, Midway sells a shooting mat that works great. I have also seen yoga mats, sleeping bag pads, and car floormats used very effectively.

Something with a bit of cushion helps keep the rocks out of the ribs. But whatever you use keep it thin so it is not bouncy.

Regarding rifle choices: almost any magazine fed rifle can do the job if the operator does his job. The program is suitable for rimfire or centerfire rifles, bolt or semi auto, iron sights or scopes.

Ideally your rifle will have a front sling stud and a USGI web sling.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:46 AM

I just signed up for the class this weekend - going to be a great time, I'm sure.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daringescape View Post
I just signed up for the class this weekend - going to be a great time, I'm sure.
Great! See you there!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
Those conditions result in the awarding of the rare "WinterSeed" version of the Rifleman patch. Colors are changed to ice blue and white (ice version).
That's awesome! Now I have to go... damn
Old 11-19-2014, 1:16 PM

I thought "psh, I don't need a mat" so I just brought a beach towel to keep my rifle from getting scratched/dirty. I'm glad that one of the instructors (Mike) lent me his mat, because the ground was covered in gravel and it wouldn't have been fun in the prone position!

Don't forget lunch and water, eye/ear protection, a sharpie for marking targets, and your 400rds! I used up all but 3 rounds of my ammo so don't skimp!
Old 11-19-2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
2nd. - I have a savage .22 and a Keltec SU16. I would rather use the SU16. Which do you all think would be better?
Thanks!
A comment on the SU16 (I own one):

Appleseed places a lot of emphasis on the use of a shooting sling. The out of box SU16 doesn't have a forward sling mount. Keltec sells a kit to add sling mounts, BUT the forward mount is pinned right through the gas block, and the SU16 has a rather light barrel. Result: When you tension up the sling, it deflects the barrel. In my case, by 12 MOA (6" @ 50 yards) downward! (I like a tight sling.) Hard to keep consistent and probably not good for the barrel.

Keltec also sells a forward rail kit, and you could put a sling mount on that, but it's not floated, so would likely have the same effect. There's also a 3d party rail that is floated - mounted to the barrel nut. Can't find the link right now, but I recall it as being mucho dinero $$.

I'd suggest starting with the Savage, and bring the SU16 along for fun.
Old 11-19-2014, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeople View Post
A comment on the SU16 (I own one):

Appleseed places a lot of emphasis on the use of a shooting sling. The out of box SU16 doesn't have a forward sling mount. Keltec sells a kit to add sling mounts, BUT the forward mount is pinned right through the gas block, and the SU16 has a rather light barrel. Result: When you tension up the sling, it deflects the barrel. In my case, by 12 MOA (6" @ 50 yards) downward! (I like a tight sling.) Hard to keep consistent and probably not good for the barrel.

Keltec also sells a forward rail kit, and you could put a sling mount on that, but it's not floated, so would likely have the same effect. There's also a 3d party rail that is floated - mounted to the barrel nut. Can't find the link right now, but I recall it as being mucho dinero $$.

I'd suggest starting with the Savage, and bring the SU16 along for fun.

What do you think of this method for mounting the sling? http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/su16sling.htm

I have one of the uncle mikes kits with the split band.
Old 11-20-2014, 2:02 PM

Quote:
What do you think of this method for mounting the sling? http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/su16sling.htm

I have one of the uncle mikes kits with the split band.
I suspect it'll have the same issue. It's also mounted to the barrel, even further forward, so it will have more leverage. Also, since it's mounted directly to the barrel, the amount of pressure on the sling will affect barrel resonance. (Not sure if you'd see much effect from that at 25m, but that's quite a light barrel on the SU16.)

OTOH, it looks like a cheap mod and the worst thing that happens is you've got yourself a decent carry sling.