Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-08-2008, 8:25 AM

Default A1 uppers?

Thinking about doing an AR but if I do, I want to go old school. Anyone know where one could find an A1 upper with the old triangle forestock and birdcage flash hider?

Also, any issues with A1 uppers with lower fit? Do I need a special lower for an A1 upper? As you can tell, I'm currently AR stupid.
Old 05-08-2008, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuffPaws View Post
Thinking about doing an AR but if I do, I want to go old school. Anyone know where one could find an A1 upper with the old triangle forestock and birdcage flash hider?

Also, any issues with A1 uppers with lower fit? Do I need a special lower for an A1 upper? As you can tell, I'm currently AR stupid.
You can find the upper at the equipment exchange at ar15.com or gunbroker.....you may even to build it yourself or pay someone to do it (ar15barrels.com). The fit should be good unless you get an SP-1 upper (colt commercial), if you do happen to get an sp-1 upper there converting pins/screws that can convert it to the proper size
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Not everyone is so smart.
We need people who work at McDonalds too you know...
Old 05-08-2008, 8:35 AM

tag

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined, nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants. They serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1764
*Excerpts from "On Crimes and Punishment" by Cesare Beccaria
Old 05-08-2008, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

If you get a Colt SP1 upper it will have a large hole for the pivot pin, and your life will be considerably harder.

While the large hole lower to small hole upper conversion screw/pin works pretty well, I"m not as impressed with the bushing used to convert large hole uppers to small hole lowers. I"ve had difficulty getting the bushing to stay in the correct alignment and had excessive side to side play between the upper and lower.

If theres any tips on using the bushings Im all ears as I have a retro build I've been working on but am unhappy with the receiver fit.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:22 AM

I saw complete kits of used A1 surplus furniture at the last crossroads gun show, butt stock, pistol grip, and hand guards ( some had armory numbers stenciled 0n) You could put these on any OLL build to get the retro look. You can also get new aftermarket triangle handguards too. I think there are old posts on this topic.
Do you really want true original rifle configuration? Early uppers have no rear sight elevation adjustment knob (must screw the front sight post up and down) no forward assist and 1/12" twist barrels (55g and lower ammo).
Here is photo of an OLL build with A2 stock, grip, upper, but I replaced the hand guard with aftermarket "A1" triangles. Barrel has bird cage muzzle brake but it is 24" 1/9 twist.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM

If your looking for old school, but want new parts, you might want to look into CMMG. They make a 20" lightweight upper assembly with the option of using a A1/C7 upper, A1 flashider, and triangular handguards. But it's going to be costly.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/...104253&cat=61&

If this is out of your price range, your best bet is to check the classified on Calguns, AR15.com, etc. regularly. Nice used A1 upper assemblies pop up once in a while in the $250-$350 range.
Old 05-08-2008, 6:29 PM

Try NoDak Spud they are making retro Ar-15s! Look pretty good to me.
Old 05-08-2008, 6:46 PM

Smile

if you search the used section on ARF you can find things... (A1 upper on my reg'd Colt lower)

as you can see, I have a thing for A1 uppers with triangular handguards.. (HAR25 no gas tube)

Last edited by tiger222; 05-08-2008 at 6:48 PM..
Old 05-08-2008, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbercarry View Post
sorry thats not a true A-1.they don't have forward assists
M16A1's do have foward assists. M16's do not. Thats an A2 upper in the pic anyway.
Old 05-08-2008, 6:51 PM

Can't leave a retro thread without posting a pic.

Make sure you get the correct pin size. Colts have smaller pins (I believe). You can always buy an adaptor pin if you do have different sizes.
Calguns Addict

My friend's dad just bought an A1 upper from Ohio Ordnance. I believe they had a few in stock but did not list them on their website. I'd try giving them a call just to see.