Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Curio and Relic details for 03FFL

Now that I have my C&R, do I have to get any more licenses from Ca before I can buy through the on-line auctions or places like SAMCO, Aim Surplus, Classic Arms, and such?

Last edited by jmlivingston; 03-26-2008 at 7:12 AM.. Reason: Changed title
Old 10-22-2007, 6:48 PM
In Memoriam

No. The C&R is enough. Make LOTS of copies. Do NOT sign the original!
Old 10-23-2007, 6:26 AM

Here is a short synopsis of the California regulations concerning C&R firearms and licenses:

Quote:
There is a lot of confusion around concerning the California regulations on C&R Firearms. The first thing to remember is that California, with few exceptions, requires all firearms transfers in the state to be processed through a dealer [Penal Code 12072(d)]. There is no exception for C&R FFL holders. There is however, an exception to the dealer transfer requirement for C&R rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old. [PC 12078(t)(2)] This exception is available to anyone legally able to possess firearms. California doesn’t care if you are licensed or not, that’s a Federal matter. The 50 year rifle and shotgun exception is the reason that C&R FFL holders in California can receive these types of firearms directly from an out of state supplier.

The California definition for a C&R firearm is exactly the same as that used by BATF in 27CFR. California references both Title 18 and 27 CFR for the definition. If the Feds say a firearm is C&R, so does the California DOJ.

There are a couple of exceptions to the firearms laws that are available to C&R FFL holders. If the licensee also holds a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the California DOJ, they are exempt from the 10-day waiting period when buying C&R firearms from a dealer. [PC 12078(t)(1)] The same C&R FFL holder with a COE is also exempt from the one handgun a month law for both C&R and modern handguns. [PC 12072(a)(9)(B)] You also would not need a handgun safety certificate when purchasing C&R handguns. [PC 12807(a)(6)]

Where the C&R FFL comes in handy is when the holder is out of the state. They may purchase any C&R firearm and bring it back to California. The exceptions of course include those “evil” “assault weapons”. Also, magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds cannot be brought back. Any C&R handguns purchased must be registered with the California DOJ within 5 days and are reported on Form BCIA 4100A along with a $19.00 payment for each handgun. [PC 12072(f)(3)] The form is now on the California DOJ web site, forms section.
Old 10-23-2007, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Nope. As Pthfndr said, make a crapload of copies because you will need it.

P.S.

Don't max out your cards.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

In practice, most people follow the 50-year rule, which excludes all handguns. However, this exemption has nothing to do with an FFL-03, beyond sharing part of the definition for relic status. By the strictest interpretation, one might conclude that a C&R license is completely worthless in California.

I’ve debated this issue myself, favoring a more liberal interpretation of the law. For example, I’ve been unable to locate specific language in the penal code prohibiting an FFL-03 holder from “importing” an eligible rifle less than 50 years old. The code is dense and difficult to read, so I could well be wrong.

Thus most take the more conservative approach.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post
In practice, most people follow the 50-year rule, which excludes all handguns. However, this exemption has nothing to do with an FFL-03, beyond sharing part of the definition for relic status. By the strictest interpretation, one might conclude that a C&R license is completely worthless in California.

I’ve debated this issue myself, favoring a more liberal interpretation of the law. For example, I’ve been unable to locate specific language in the penal code prohibiting an FFL-03 holder from “importing” an eligible rifle less than 50 years old. The code is dense and difficult to read, so I could well be wrong.

Penal Code Section 12072 (d) requires that all firearms be transferred through a California dealer. There is no exception for Type 03 FFL holders.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
Penal Code Section 12072 (d) requires that all firearms be transferred through a California dealer. There is no exception for Type 03 FFL holders.
...err, no?

The fuzziness comes from what the Feds say qualifies as C&R (such as certain civilian and military models), and California law pertaining to firearms capable of being concealed on a person (Handguns). Those have to go through 01 FFLs, IIRC. Even when I was pointed out my errors a couple months ago the Federal/State law was mixed up.

Unless you mean to tell me that having a rifle shipped to you that is 50+ years old from another state (or in-state) to you when you have an 03 FFL is a crime, or face-to-face transactions with the same rifle status as previously mentioned, I believe you are mistaken.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

Last edited by Dr. Peter Venkman; 10-23-2007 at 12:20 PM..
Old 10-23-2007, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Well, that’s the conclusion I would draw from EOD Guy’s interpretation. It took me a while to get my FFL-03, because I was afraid it would be useless.

Even if you assume the 50-year exemption applies to out-of-state sellers, it only covers infrequent transfers, if I recall correctly. Are AIM, SOG, and the CMP criminals, or am I the criminal for buying their stuff?

Last edited by M. D. Van Norman; 10-23-2007 at 2:42 PM..
Old 10-24-2007, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
...err, no?

The fuzziness comes from what the Feds say qualifies as C&R (such as certain civilian and military models), and California law pertaining to firearms capable of being concealed on a person (Handguns). Those have to go through 01 FFLs, IIRC. Even when I was pointed out my errors a couple months ago the Federal/State law was mixed up.

Unless you mean to tell me that having a rifle shipped to you that is 50+ years old from another state (or in-state) to you when you have an 03 FFL is a crime, or face-to-face transactions with the same rifle status as previously mentioned, I believe you are mistaken.

No, one of the exceptions to the dealer transfer requirement is for C&R rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old. Possession of a C&R FFL has no bearing on that exception. Also, both Federal and California law have the same definition for C&R firearms. California defers to the Federal law.
Old 10-04-2009, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
yes there is. It says so on the CA DOJ website. you dont need to go through a DEALER, you need to go through an FFL holder...a C&R license is an FFL license. You can only purchase C&R items this way, otherwise, what would be the point of having a C&R license if you had to go through a dealer? think before you post

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
excludes all handguns?? are you sure? i never saw anything about that! i know for a fact Tula Takarev tt-33's are C&R eligable. I think you're the one confused buddy.
He's talking about the net effect of both California and Federal law. Yes the Fed's have qualified that there are C&R's less than 50 years old, both rifles and handguns. Problem is you still have to meet state laws, and CA says only firearms of 50 y.o. or greater can be PPT'd without going through a licensed dealer.

Quote:
yes there is. It says so on the CA DOJ website. you dont need to go through a DEALER, you need to go through an FFL holder...a C&R license is an FFL license. You can only purchase C&R items this way, otherwise, what would be the point of having a C&R license if you had to go through a dealer? think before you post

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12070.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12072(d)
Where neither party to the transaction holds a dealer's license issued pursuant to Section 12071, the parties to the transaction shall complete the sale, loan, or transfer of that firearm through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
Have you even read most of this thread? I suggest you heed your own advice and
Quote:
think before you post
You also might want to check your attitude at the door.....

John
Old 10-04-2009, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post

excludes all handguns?? are you sure? i never saw anything about that! i know for a fact Tula Takarev tt-33's are C&R eligable. I think you're the one confused buddy.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 10-23-2007, 3:01 PM

One other useful feature of an 03 FLL (C&R License) is that the holder can....with possession of a CA Certificate of Eligibility....avoid the one-handgun-purchase-every-30-days rule. Nice little side benefit. As for criminality, an 03 FFL may take delivery of any long gun deemed to be a Curio & Relic directly from an out-of-state source. This means an 03 FFL holder can purchase a rifle from Auction Arms and get it mailed direct to him as long as it's over 50 years old. No harm, no foul.
1518-B Los Angeles Avenue
Simi Valley, CA 93065
(805) 526-6563
www.fortcouragearmory.com
Old 10-23-2007, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortCourageArmory View Post
As for criminality, an 03 FFL may take delivery of any long gun deemed to be a Curio & Relic directly from an out-of-state source. This means an 03 FFL holder can purchase a rifle from Auction Arms and get it mailed direct to him as long as it's over 50 years old. No harm, no foul.
How about a California seller? Can a C&R holder purchase a >50 year old long gun from a Calif. seller without having to go through the typical transfer / 10 day wait through an 01 FFL? If so, does the seller have to be an C&R holder as well?
Old 10-24-2007, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf111 View Post
How about a California seller? Can a C&R holder purchase a >50 year old long gun from a Calif. seller without having to go through the typical transfer / 10 day wait through an 01 FFL? If so, does the seller have to be an C&R holder as well?
The 50 year long arm exception is applicable to anyone in California legally able to possess the firearm. A C&R FFL has nothing to do with it on either end of the transaction.
Old 10-24-2007, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

But can’t the exemption be exploited only infrequently? I seem to recall a definition of less than 10 sales per year, but I don’t feel like sifting through the code again just yet. Now, that provision may be unenforceable against out-of-state dealers, but wasn’t the DOJ able to choke off the flow of C&R handguns with the threat of lawsuits?
Old 10-24-2007, 9:46 AM

Quote:
The 50 year long arm exception is applicable to anyone in California legally able to possess the firearm. A C&R FFL has nothing to do with it on either end of the transaction.
So anyone legally able to possess a firearm can do cash & carry on a 50 year old or older long gun? I remember that was the case in the mid-90's but I thought that was changed?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Internet Dictator

Here's the deal guys:

Any california resident (excluding 01 FFL dealers if the long gun in question is part of his dealer inventory) can transfer a 50+ year old long gun to another california resident without any paperwork, background check, DROS, etc. This means I can sell my 56 year old mosin to anyone in the state without going through a dealer.

If you posses a 03 FFL, you can recieve 50+ long guns from out of state (mail order, internet, etc). The reason a person without a 03 FFL can not do this is federal law says you can't sell to residents of other states unless they have a FFL.

If you posses a 03 FFL, you can purchase any C&R eligible firearm while outside of the state. (all state and local laws for wherever you're visiting must be followed, so this probably won't work in NY) As long as the firearm is legal to posses in CA, you can bring it home with you (ie: no assault weapons, SBRs, etc). If you're bringing a handgun home, you must send a form + $19 (per gun) to the DOJ.

AS FOR SELLING STUFF:
There is no "you can only sell XX number of firearms per year" restrictions whatsoever.

However, if you have a 03 FFL, you may not engage in business. What does this mean? It's fuzzy. You are entitled to sell any of your guns, even at a profit. You just can't be making a living off buying and selling guns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 10-24-2007, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf111 View Post
if you have a c&r class 3 ffl, you can buy any long gun from a privit party in and out of the state of ca.
so long as said is over 50 years old. and on the c & r list

you can buy any pistol that is over 50 years old and on the c & r list out of state. and pay a tax along with a form to the doj here in ca. you get to keep the gun in your house, no 10 day wait.

to buy any pistol here in ca, if over 50 years old and on the c&r list cash and carry applys,

any long or short gun less than fifty years old, same old anti gun rules apply.

black powerd guns, ie push down the tube style, no wait for any long or short gun. the true cash and carry.

and all guns you buy using your c&r must be listed in you book. list who you bought it from and listed as to who you sold it to.
Old 10-24-2007, 8:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
to buy any pistol here in ca, if over 50 years old and on the c&r list cash and carry applys,
Um, you might want to check into that again. A C&R 03FFL does not allow you to cash-and-carry a handgun.

John
Old 10-24-2007, 8:20 PM
Internet Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by packnrat View Post
if you have a c&r class 3 ffl, you can buy any long gun from a privit party in and out of the state of ca.

you can buy any pistol that is over 50 years old and on the c & r list out of state. and pay a tax along with a form to the doj here in ca. you get to keep the gun in your house, no 10 day wait.

black powerd guns, ie push down the tube style, no wait for any long or short gun. the true cash and carry.

and all guns you buy using your c&r must be listed in you book. list who you bought it from and listed as to who you sold it to.
packnrat, allow me to correct you:

Quote:
The 50+ year old restriction is only a requirement if YOU are physically in the state. If YOU are out of the state buying guns, then you can purchase *ANY* C&R eligible firearm regardless of age

Quote:
Once again, if YOU are physically outside the state, you can purchase *ANY* C&R eligible firearm regardless of age.

Quote:
If YOU are physically INSIDE california and trying to purchase a handgun, it *MUST* go through a 01 FFL dealer. 10 day wait applies unless you have BOTH a C&R license and a COE.

Quote:
This is only true if YOU are physically inside california. Outside of california, age doesn't matter, only C&R status.

Quote:
*sigh* repeat after me:
I AM LICENSED, I DO NOT "USE" MY LICENSE.
you got the right idea. It's just a pet peeve of mine to hear people say they "use" their license....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 10-25-2007, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcrash View Post

The 50+ year old restriction is only a requirement if YOU are physically in the state. If YOU are out of the state buying guns, then you can purchase *ANY* C&R eligible firearm regardless of age

So to finally put this to bed for a non-C&R holder like me, I can sell a 50+ year old rifle to anyone inside Calif. w/o monkeying around w/ the DROS as long as that person can legally own guns. It's even better if that person is a C&R holder. Am I correct?
Old 06-09-2008, 5:12 PM

Default does the CA Certificate of eligibility cover new handguns also

Does the CA Certificate of eligibility cover new handguns also, could i walk into a gun store and walk out with a new pistol same day

( yes i did search but nothing came up )

Quote:
One other useful feature of an 03 FLL (C&R License) is that the holder can....with possession of a CA Certificate of Eligibility....avoid the one-handgun-purchase-every-30-days rule. Nice little side benefit. As for criminality, an 03 FFL may take delivery of any long gun deemed to be a Curio & Relic directly from an out-of-state source. This means an 03 FFL holder can purchase a rifle from Auction Arms and get it mailed direct to him as long as it's over 50 years old. No harm, no foul.
Old 09-13-2009, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Is a Yugo M48 considered a C&R, as it was not when I got my 03FFL in 03?

Thanx Dante'
Objects in mirror are closers than they appear:
DRIVE FASTER
Old 09-13-2009, 4:35 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearedum View Post
Is a Yugo M48 considered a C&R, as it was not when I got my 03FFL in 03?
Yes, they are listed by name on BATFE's C&R list...

Quote:
Yugoslavian M1948 (M48) bolt action rifles, 7.92 x 57mm caliber, produced at the Kragujevac Arsenal, original military configuration only.
They were C&R back in 2003 as well. I don't know exactly when they were added to the C&R list, but it was before 2001. Also, since production of the M48 started in 1950, some of them would have started becoming C&R in the year 2000 based solely on their age.

Military surplus firearms can't be imported into the U.S. unless they are C&R firearms. So the fact importers were bringing them in back then means that they were C&R back then.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 10-23-2007, 6:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Better than that - no license is required for the transfer of a longarm older than 50 years old.

John
Old 10-25-2007, 7:57 AM

So as I am reading these replies about Cal regs for 50+ long guns, if I buy a 50+ long gun from Auction Arms, Gun Broker, ect. I don't need to worry about California DROS, just enter in my book. Is this correct?
Old 10-25-2007, 8:00 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrtroughreg View Post
So as I am reading these replies about Cal regs for 50+ long guns, if I buy a 50+ long gun from Auction Arms, Gun Broker, ect. I don't need to worry about California DROS, just enter in my book. Is this correct?
Yes, that's correct.

Only other thing to add, just because I haven't seen it mentioned here, is you still have to comply with all the Assault Weapon (AW) laws. So be careful of SKS's with grenade launchers, and AW features.

John
Old 08-05-2008, 8:36 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.calgunlaws.com/article-122.html
Page not found

The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
- Click the Back button in your browser to try another link.
- Use a search engine like Google to look for information on the Internet. HTTP 404 - File not found

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? I wanted to read this.............
Old 08-06-2008, 2:12 AM

Default Broken Link

From the home page: http://www.calgunlaws.com/ under “MODULES” (top left hand pane) , there is a heading: “TOPICS”, click there and then scroll down to “Antiques, Curios and Relics.” The “Memorandum of Law” is there, for some reason the actual links from this site don’t work to copy/paste any longer. The page with the actual DOJ approval letter isn’t indexed properly, but I’m sure if you contact them they will be happy to provide it to you, it is archived. They recently changed their website, and it is somewhat difficult to navigate on. It is also a Trutanich - Michel Lawfirm website.

Last edited by pdangeruss; 08-06-2008 at 2:13 AM.. Reason: error
Old 08-22-2008, 3:44 PM

Ok. In the mail today I found brown envelope with my FFL 03 forms in it to fill out. I requested them last Friday and today is Thursday. Amazing!

So on to my questions. I live within 1000 feet of a school in El Cajon(San Diego) any special hoops I will have to jump through? I will be purchasing mainly longarms.
Are there any local laws that would prevent me from getting a 03? I am totally legal to own and purchase a longarm or handgun. Totally clean record.
Thanks for the help!! Really looking forward to my CMP purchases I plan on!

(Move this if it needs to please.)
Old 08-23-2008, 1:10 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular

You are good to go amurphy.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Thank you! Will fill it all out today and send it in. Hopefully this won't be to hard on my wallet. It already growls at me

Last edited by amurphy; 08-23-2008 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: removed a word
Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM

I’m a 03 licensee have been for 15 years, welcome to collectors license.
Having a 03 license in California rather then lets say Texas is your restricted to purchase AWB, guns with grenade launchers and 03 handguns. Here’s the kicker, an 03 license along with a COE certificate is you can purchase more then one 03 handgun from gun shows outside California, once you arrive in California ya’ll need to pay $15.00 and you’re set to go.
I attend the Las Vegas gun show and walked out with 03 qualified handguns without a hitch.
Also defined C&R longguns like the SKS 59/66 even though Calif knows they are not 50+ years old, rifles like these without printed dates are a grey area but appear to be qualified rifles for C&R sales in California (Without grenade launcher)
Just a footnote, most sellers outside California don’t care about our 03 handgun restriction, most of my friends buy them on line without a problem, your call on that one.

If YOU are physically INSIDE California and buying an 03 handgun, it doesn’t have go through a 01 FFL dealer. 10 day waiting period doesn’t apply as long as you have BOTH a C&R license and a COE, you can also buy more then one 03 handgun.

Last edited by Mark49; 10-21-2008 at 10:36 PM..
Old 10-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark49 View Post
I’m a 03 licensee have been for 15 years, welcome to collectors license.
Having a 03 license in California rather then lets say Texas is AWB, guns with grenade launcher and 03 handguns. Here’s the kicker, an 03 license along with a COE certificate is you can purchase more then one 03 handgun from gun shows outside California, once you arrive in California ya’ll need to pay $15.00 and you’re set to go.
I attend the Las Vegas gun show and walked out with 03 qualified handguns without a hitch.
Also defined C&R longguns like the SKS 59/66 even though Calif knows they are not 50+ years old, rifles like these without printed dates are a grey area but appear to be qualified rifles for C&R sales in California (Without grenade launcher)
Just a footnote, most sellers outside California don’t care about our 03 handgun restriction, most of my friends buy them on line without a problem, your call on that one.

If YOU are physically INSIDE California and buying an 03 handgun, it doesn’t have go through a 01 FFL dealer. 10 day waiting period doesn’t apply as long as you have BOTH a C&R license and a COE, you can also buy more then one 03 handgun.
I think this post might be the winner of the Most Wrong Information In A Post award. With the punctuation it's kind of hard to tell though. With all of the commas and periods in the right places it might only be the second most wrong post.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amendment II View Post
I think this post might be the winner of the Most Wrong Information In A Post award. With the punctuation it's kind of hard to tell though. With all of the commas and periods in the right places it might only be the second most wrong post.
100% correct, not sure what you're drinking tonight, but when you sober up do some research.... Not a flame "just need to get the facts"
Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
100% correct, not sure what you're drinking tonight, but when you sober up do some research.... Not a flame "just need to get the facts"
Oh jeeze, I just spit Wild Turkey 101 all over my keyboard!

Quote:
Here’s the kicker, an 03 license along with a COE certificate is you can purchase more then one 03 handgun from gun shows outside California
You do not need a COE to purchase C&R handguns while you are out of state. The COE is only needed when you purchase from a Dealer inside California. It's not even really needed, but having a C&R FFL and a COE allows you to skip the 10 day wait on C&R firearm purchased at a Dealer in California. It also allows you to skip the 1 handgun per 30 days restriction on C&R and modern handguns purchased at a Dealer in California.

Quote:
once you arrive in California ya’ll need to pay $15.00 and you’re set to go.
The C&R Handgun Report fee is $19 per handgun.

Quote:
If YOU are physically INSIDE California and buying an 03 handgun, it doesn’t have go through a 01 FFL dealer.
Yes it does. C&R handguns purchased while inside California must go through a California 01 FFL Dealer.

Old 10-22-2008, 5:46 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Here’s the kicker, an 03 license along with a COE certificate is you can purchase more then one 03 handgun from gun shows outside California, once you arrive in California ya’ll need to pay $15.00 and you’re set to go.
The COE is a California state thing, it has ZERO use outside of our state. All you need to purchase C&R handguns (when you are out of state to take physical possession of them) is your C&R license. Within 5 days of returning to the state you have to fill out this form and submit it along with $19 per handgun.

Quote:
Correct, but your COE had nothing to do with this.

Quote:
There's nothing grey about this. The rifle's not 50 years old so it has to go through an 01FFL if it's within the state. If you're taking physical posession outside of the state, then it doesn't matter.

Quote:
That does not make it legal however, and suggesting/advocating such illegal activity will get you removed from the forum.

Quote:
If YOU are physically INSIDE California and buying an 03 handgun, it doesn’t have go through a 01 FFL dealer.
Wrong, wrong, wrong!!!!! All handgun sales in CA must go through a dealer.

You seriously need to spend some time reviewing the applicable firearms law. Especially the 12070 stuff, it's available right here.

John
Old 11-17-2008, 2:50 PM

I just want to clarify with the experts here. Most I read in this thread is either buying out of state or private party, but I might have missed what I was looking for. If I buy a C&R rifle (lets say a Mosin Nagant) from a local store/FFL, I take it that I still need to pay DROS and wait 10 days. I have C&R license but i dont have a COE.
Old 11-19-2008, 7:15 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
...If I buy a C&R rifle (lets say a Mosin Nagant) from a local store/FFL, I take it that I still need to pay DROS and wait 10 days. I have C&R license but i dont have a COE.
Yes, you are correct.

If you had the COE as well then you could skip the 10 day waiting period, but you'd still have to pay the DROS.