Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-12-2012, 6:34 AM

Default What trends in hiring may we see in CA over the next couple years?

Will be headed to the academy in april, and was wondering what hiring trends we might see over say the next two or three years? I know SF is really hard pressed for officers now and will be needing 500+ over the next few years, due to the voters approving early retirement packages. Im wondering if theres other similar situations across the state, or if the recent election might effect anything in a positive, or even a negative manner for the next few years?
Old 11-12-2012, 6:46 AM

A lot of departments will be hiring or at least "wanting" to hire. You have quite a few baby boomer cops retiring/promoted over the next few years. However, if the economy doesn't make a sharp improvement hiring may be kept to a minimum.

I see the job outlook as good. The two departments I'm in the running with told me the exact same thing. A third, SD Sheriff has academies approved through the end of 2013. I just couldn't justify moving there for the amount of pay..
Old 11-12-2012, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

Given today’s economy and the penchant in Sacramento and some local government agencies to spend more that they can afford, I would do some serious research and make sure I knew which cities/counties take a more restrained/conservative approach to fiscal management (learn to read a budget). I know we all like the idea of 3% @50 and all of the other great benefit packages that some agencies were able to negotiate for over the past few years, but the well has run dry.

If I were just starting in LE today, I would seek out those communities that paid a decent salary, with a nice benefit package, but were a bit restrained in their overall fiscal approach. Keep in mind it is a 30 year career, and it does matter what happens over the long run.

There are a number of really great LE agencies to work for up and down the state. The one observation I would make is to stay away from the really small agencies. Oftentimes local political forces try to micro manage in the smaller agencies.

Last edited by 003; 11-12-2012 at 7:03 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 7:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post

There are a number of really great LE agencies to work for up and down the state. The one observation I would make is to stay away from the really small agencies. Oftentimes local political forces try to micro manage in the smaller agencies.
QFT x1000!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 7:29 AM

I really see any government hiring at a minimum to keep at workable operational levels. A lot of early buyouts, less specialized units, and more work for everyone else. Nationwide there will be a huge gap for routine vehicle maintenance and other essential items such as gas. It is going to be downright scary in the next few years for anyone in law enforcement. Like many of us on this board I am mid-career, and we might be seeing the return of the bad times of the late 60's an 70's where LEO's had to pay for bare essentials in order to go 10-8 and the level of violence increased. I have ten years left in order to be eligible for retirement (25 at 50 for Feds) and have to return to California next year for family reasons (parent's are getting old and want to enjoy my time with them)

Guys, I wish everyone on this board to come home safe after every shift, and for everyone starting a career, good luck with the process and hope you all make it to the finish line. If you want to stay in Cali, get hired with whatever agency gives you a job and see where you can go after you are past probation.
Old 11-12-2012, 7:44 AM

Thanks for all the insight so far. This has been a very long process for me so I'm going to put my best foot forward and hope god can guide me in the right direction. I feel like I've been through enough work related issues that ill be happy, or at least content with any department that's going to give me a chance. In my opinion there's going to be good and bad at all jobs, LE or not, and nine times out of ten the over all experience is what you make it. It would just be nice knowing there will be some job security after getting in.
Old 11-12-2012, 9:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You don't show a location but I know our academy has had bigger classes for the last couple academies. That tells me more agencies are hiring. I honestly don't think it will ever get back to the way it was just a few years ago where if you had a pulse and no drugs in your system at the time of the blood test you'd get hired but things around my neck of the woods seem to be improving a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 11-12-2012, 9:14 AM

I'm hoping things are better by the time I straighten out my finances & work history. Right now I wouldn't have a chance going up against straight-edge college graduates/veterans.

Then again, I may be living in Texas by then. Anyone know how things are over there?
Old 11-12-2012, 9:45 AM

I'm located in northern ca and will be attending the academy that's run through the Santa Rosa jc.