Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-11-2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one417 View Post
Is it superior out of the box or because of the Apex and the chopped beavertail?

"I" can shoot my stock 226R and 92F more accurately than the "stock" M&P9. However, I'm still planning on getting transitioned to the M&P to get the new gun. The county can keep my 1989 issue 92F with tens of thousands of rounds through it. It's an awesome gun and work horse....but not worth $370

The light, now THAT was a good decision....!
I found the stock M&P .40 cal was pretty good right out of the box. The beavertail on that gun in my opinion wasn't needed but S&W had designed it with that feature. The ergonomics on the M&P is outstanding. The ability to change out the backstraps to different sizes to accommodate different sized hands and the placement of the slide catch and the magazine release orientation can be changed in matter of 20 seconds. Can't do that easily with a P series Sig.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM

I CARRY AN M&P 40 SW AND OWN A SIG 226 (9MM) AND FRANKLY I LIKE THE ERGONOMICS OF THE M&P. hOWEVER I WOULD NOT FEEL LESS ARMED WITH THE 226.
Old 01-12-2012, 7:17 PM
Jonathan Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
You mean this Knott's Berry Farm badge?

I bit the bullet on one - it's now encased in a small block of acrylic or something like that and just sits around in my office at home not doing anything productive... lol
I bought my badge also. At $195, it was not cheap, but it was one of a kind.
Old 01-12-2012, 9:24 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Re the badge: For those who were on the dept. when that thing came out, there were several designs made and they were put out to the dept. members to vote on. IIRC, they were the same size as the duty badge. Rumor was, Baca liked the oversized one in the pic because it resembled either the original or at least one of the early badges, so guess which one "won" the vote.

There were several others IMHO that looked very nice, were less expensive by a goodly sum and still captured the idea of the 150th Anniversary. I don't recall which one I voted for, but it was not the least expensive one.

When the "winner" was announced, I immediately decided there was no way I was going to buy that oversized, ugly thing. I would have probably done it if it had been the regulation size. I wasn't about to wear something so large that it looked like it came out of an oversized Cracker Jack box.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

lmao, I almost forgot that there had been a vote - cause I didn't vote for the one we ended up with either...
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Just talked to someone at the department's equipment warehouse. He said the transition is a go but in the very infant stages. The dept would like to offset the cost with used Beretta sales to sworn. S&W is offering 6 mags per gun and new springs every 2 years with a very low per unit price.
Old 01-20-2012, 3:32 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

That's good info, thanks Rico. It's too bad if they gouge us on the price at $370 or so with 2 mags. LE pricing on a new 92F is sub $500 and my Beretta is beat all to hell.
Old 01-20-2012, 5:27 AM

I wish I would have been able to buy my Glock 19 after the transition to Sig. You guys are lucky that you are able to purchase your Beretta', even if it is beat to hell. The firearm could always be restored, but there is a sentimental value to having your old duty weapon.

Last edited by veeklog; 01-20-2012 at 7:23 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 7:51 PM

Count me as another one who wishes that they had bought their wheel gun. I only used my Mod 15 in the academy, because I bought a Mod 66 when I graduated. When I converted to the Beretta a few years later, I figured I would not buy my issued revolver because I did not have a sentimental attachment to it. I have since got a model 15 that was carried by a guy that came over from the RTD Police. I will not buy my issue Beretta though....it is in good shape, though. It is a brand new Italian made one, too. I will hold onto my personal 92FS Centurion that I carried for a long time. I will buy the M&P, if I ever see it. I already have a Mod 37.....
Old 02-02-2012, 7:55 PM
In Memoriam

Marc, buy your Beretta. You will regret it later if you don't.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-02-2012, 9:15 PM

Yeah, I probably will.

BTW, I had the honor of knowing and working with Dave Powell when I was at LKD. He was a hell of a guy and missed a lot by many.
Old 02-02-2012, 9:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Now that LASD is going polymer and "safe action", what's the chance they will allow the Dep's to carry compact Glocks off duty. After all the actions of the Glock and the M&P are virtually identical with the exception of the magazine safety???

We had five Deputies in the store today talking about the conversion. They were all rookie CJ workers chomping at the bit to go to a patrol station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 02-02-2012, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
Yeah, I probably will.

BTW, I had the honor of knowing and working with Dave Powell when I was at LKD. He was a hell of a guy and missed a lot by many.
Do it. I had the option to buy my badge from Sac County even though I only worked there for about a year... I regret it big time.
Old 02-02-2012, 9:50 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
Yeah, I probably will.

PM sent

Deputy: LKD 1981-1984, Sergeant: 1990-1997

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 02-02-2012 at 10:07 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
Now that LASD is going polymer and "safe action", what's the chance they will allow the Dep's to carry compact Glocks off duty. After all the actions of the Glock and the M&P are virtually identical with the exception of the magazine safety???

We had five Deputies in the store today talking about the conversion. They were all rookie CJ workers chomping at the bit to go to a patrol station.
I wouldn't say never, but the chances are 'slim' and 'none' and 'slim' saddled his horse and just left town.

The issue isn't the mag safety because the one authorized by LASD does not have one. The issue is in the take down. With the Glock, you have to pull the trigger to do the take down. Not so with the M&P. I have the M&P 9, 9c, and 45.

The .45 failed LASD's initial testing and an issue was identified. It has since been corrected and last I heard, it was being tested again. From what i was told, one of the tests requires 15,000 rounds thru the gun under certain conditions, which it hasn't finished yet. Since there are other .45's available to LASD personnel, they are not in any hurry. With all the budget issues, when the range staff isn't training, they are filling vacancies in custody, courts, and patrol. Usually once a week for sergeants and below. When iretired last year, lieutenants were reassigned twice a month. I did several shifts working s a bailiff deputy as a lieutenant.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-03-2012, 2:57 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I'd pass on Glocks even if authorized. The M&P FS and Compact versions are ideal 9mm pistols to me. I have both and have total confidence in them.

We worked the guns pretty hard during the training courses and mine ran like a champ. I don't like the light and adapter set up on the Beretta or the long DA first shot.

The M&P works great with a light and it is small enough that you can easily manipulate the light toggle without the need for a pressure switch.
Old 02-09-2012, 8:35 PM

Both are great guns. Ultimately you need to go with the firearm that you are more comfortable with and feels more natural in you hands. As for the 92FS, as an MP I have been subject to the horror of the M9 for eight years now. I would take a sling shot over that piece of ****....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
More people should have 'toilet guns'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otalps View Post
Imagine if he had stuck a 30 rounder in there on accident, God would have killed a kitten.
Old 02-09-2012, 9:55 PM

I'm still not holding my breath, waiting for the M&P 9. The County is notorious for the last minute 10-22. If it does happen, I will make the switch, and buy my Beretta, if allowed. Only reason is the lack of safety in M&P 9. I've taken several shooting courses, and they all seem to believe a safety has no business on a modern day combat handgun. Reasons given made sense to me.

However, I love my Beretta and am comfortable with it. Not to mention I pumped a boat load of minetly into it (Surefire X300, adaptor rail, pressure switch). I just don't get people who don't believe in the Beretta's proven reliability. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has ended a lot of criminals lives with the Beretta 92FS.

On a side note, how much trouble do you guys think I will get into if I switch the M&P stock trigger, with the Apex Duty/Carry action trigger? Just a hypothetical question of course...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 02-10-2012, 12:33 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

My inside source says altering the M&P trigger is a no-go. On a county owned gun I DEFINITELY wouldn't mess with it. I have my own personal M&P that I carry and I'm not going to install the Apex unless authorized.

The M&P is pretty stiff all around when new because they are built well. Once you put some rounds through them they loosen up a bit and the trigger improves on its own, IMHO.
Old 02-10-2012, 7:58 PM

Interesting enough, there is no policy on altering your personal County Approved handgun (HK, Sig Sauer, M&P). Just a funny little loophole.

Quote:
During Y2K my neighbor and I were talking and he said he had a basement full of water and canned food. He asked if I had stocked up and I said that I had. I told him I bought a 12 guage shotgun, a .308 rifle and several bricks of .22 ammo.

He is an anti-gun guy and he said. "Well, you can't eat ammunition". I replied with "When I'm starving to death with a case of ammunition, who's door do you think I am going to knock on?"
Old 02-10-2012, 9:46 PM

That's interesting - is the policy worded for "issued" firearm(s)? There might be an overall umbrella type policy on modifications to duty gear/equipment... ? I'll try to remember to check next week...
Old 02-11-2012, 3:15 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Both are great guns. Ultimately you need to go with the firearm that you are more comfortable with and feels more natural in you hands. As for the 92FS, as an MP I have been subject to the horror of the M9 for eight years now. I would take a sling shot over that piece of ****....
Have you had the gun since new or have a lot of other military personnel been issued this particular weapon. If the latter, perhaps that would account for your dislike of the gun if it wasn't maintained properly. Just wondering.

I was issued my 92f in Jan. of 1990. We were the largest station, but the last to have it issued. I worked patrol until 1997 and retired in 2003. I bought mine when I retired, still shoot it at the range and I have never had one malfunction since it was issued to me. I think it is a great firearm, but YVMV.
Old 02-12-2012, 2:55 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Have you had the gun since new or have a lot of other military personnel been issued this particular weapon. If the latter, perhaps that would account for your dislike of the gun if it wasn't maintained properly. Just wondering.

I was issued my 92f in Jan. of 1990. We were the largest station, but the last to have it issued. I worked patrol until 1997 and retired in 2003. I bought mine when I retired, still shoot it at the range and I have never had one malfunction since it was issued to me. I think it is a great firearm, but YVMV.
I'll chime in here that my dept issued Beretta (new) has digested thousands and thousands of rounds and never malfunctioned ever. I saw some M9's in the military that were poorly maintained and gummed up to the point where it took brute force to retract the slide. If Flipper had M9's jamming with ball ammo, then I'd say it was most likely a maintenance issue.
Old 02-15-2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Interesting enough, there is no policy on altering your personal County Approved handgun (HK, Sig Sauer, M&P). Just a funny little loophole.
Yes there is... look up MPP 3-03/210.05 under "Modifications". I don't know what sort of penalty results from a violation, but the M&P works well enough stock that I wouldn't chance it.
Old 02-18-2012, 4:43 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I was thinking how great it would be to cerakote my M&P with an OD green frame and FDE slide. Some serious department pride right there.
Old 03-05-2012, 9:01 AM

What holster is LASO going with for the M&P? My rides in an ALS.

Will you guys be able to use the DG-12 pressure switch with the X300?
Old 03-05-2012, 9:25 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
Yes there is... look up MPP 3-03/210.05 under "Modifications". I don't know what sort of penalty results from a violation, but the M&P works well enough stock that I wouldn't chance it.
Or a violation of this, they would get you under "Obedience to laws, regulations, and orders" (I don't remember the mpp section) which is a general "catch all" section. Discipline for that section, per the "Guidelines for Discipline" manual ranges from a written reprimand to discharge, so a lot depends on how bad someone above wants you.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Or a violation of this, they would get you under "Obedience to laws, regulations, and orders" (I don't remember the mpp section) which is a general "catch all" section. Discipline for that section, per the "Guidelines for Discipline" manual ranges from a written reprimand to discharge, so a lot depends on how bad someone above wants you.
I don't have one yet, so I'm not too worried. Wasn't planning on modding mine. Not even sure I am gonna transition over from my Beretta 92. Beretta is battle proven. M&P? Not so much.

However, I received this information from a supervisor with some time on. In fact, he is a lurker on Calguns. He has his personal M&P9 ninja'd out. Match grade barrel, red dot sight, and some other cool stuff. I specifically asked him about the policy on modding duty weapons, and he said he read it thoroughly. Apparently, his interpretation of it was that it only applied to Dept. issued duty weapons. He also did add, if the policy ever changes to include personal duty weapons, it would probably be his fault.

Quote:

Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 PM

To those of you thinking about not buying your old duty weapons: I balked at purchasing my issued Ruger Speed Six that I went through the academy with when I left the SF Sheriff's Department. Later, I was able to get in on a purchase from the dealer the SFSD sold the guns to. I wound up getting my revolver and it is the one gun I will never sell. It still has S.F.S.D. stamped on the side and served me well for a few years. I am glad that I was able to purchase it, even though I now work for a different department. When my current department converted from 92Fs to HK USP 45s, we were unable to purchase our duty pistols. My 92F was issued to a number of officers before me; it looked like it had been dragged down the road, yet I still miss its accuracy and reliability. When we convert, probably to M&P 45s, I will try to buy my USP 45 because it has been with me in some trying times. I have to pay $254 for the star I wore during our centennial year because it is silver and a sergeant badge, but I will do so. Maybe I am just getting old, but the nostalgia of 20 years of memories of this job makes me think that one should not be so quick to discard our faithful tools.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack and I wish all the hard-working deputies of LASD the best of luck with their new duty pistol.
Old 03-06-2012, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne View Post
....Sorry for the thread hi-jack and I wish all the hard-working deputies of LASD the best of luck with their new duty pistol.
Sorry, but I'm still not holding my breath about the M&Ps. I'll believe it when I have it in hand...

Quote:

Old 03-07-2012, 5:18 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Having made the transition already on my own time and own dime, it was well worth it. The department moves at the speed of a rusting car on these matters, but all indicators say it will happen, and they will be offsetting the cost of the M&P's with the sale of the used Berettas to their owners.

It has also been said that S&W offered the contract to LASD at a great price. It 's a good PR move. When the largest SD in the world changes guns, it is news. I'm sure it will spike the civilian sales of M&P's. I'll bet lots of Deps will also buy M&PC's as companion pieces to their new duty pistol. I already did.
Old 03-07-2012, 9:41 PM

S&W 9, 9 Compact and 342... love my combo!
Old 03-07-2012, 9:56 PM
In Memoriam

My M&P collection includes the 9, 9c, and .45. All came with factory night sights from All State Police Equipment in Pomona. Roughly $500 each after taxes and DROS, with three magazines.

No external safety or magazine disconnect. I got the last one the day I had to turn in my active LE credentials. Now I have to deal with the stupid roster.

I love them all, but the 9c is my favorite.

Thinking about one in .40SW to round out the set.......and one in .22LR just because. Not sure about one in .357 Sig.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 03-08-2012, 2:48 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

All State is a great place to buy guns. They have taken custody of a lot of my dinero.
Old 03-08-2012, 7:25 AM

Last rumor I heard is that the switch is still proceeding but they are still smoothing out some bumps. Looking like we may be going back to the 6280/6285 series holsters. They can't start purchasing until everything's been finalized...
Old 03-08-2012, 7:47 AM

If S&W had another rebate program for LE, I would have to give some serious thought to picking up my second M&P.
Old 03-09-2012, 1:55 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I love a rebate as much as the next guy, but sub-$500 out the door is a tremendous value for what is universally considered a GREAT handgun.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM

I also work for the department, in a uniformed, armed civilian position. When I went through the academy a few months ago, my class was issued refurbished Beretta 92FSs. However, the deputies going through the academy at the same time got the new M&Ps with the tactical lights. It seems we are lower priority and thus get to use up the older issue weapons. I do like the Beretta though, it's a very smooth firing weapon that has never given me any problems either during the academy, or when practicing after.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Talking

I'm not LEO, but last year bought a 92FS with LAPD medallions on Hogue grip. Was this a one-off deal? Just curious. BTW - that gun has the best trigger of any 92 I've ever shot...

Sell me your 92's...
Old 05-27-2012, 1:10 PM

First Post

I Bought my revolver when we switched to the 92F. I'll buy it as well as soon as they see fit to give me an M&P. I haven't shot it my revolver since I bought it, but it was in fairly good condition and I shot better with it than I've ever shot with the 92F. Even if it were the worst gun ever, I'll always have it for sentimental reasons. I have my Millenium Badge as well....I just hate that it's cased in acrylic.