Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 11-16-2017, 5:24 PM

One Second After - 1st in a series of 3; Going Home - 1st in a series of 8 by A. American.
Old 12-03-2017, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Another member posted this in a separate thread - reposting it here for you Deplorables. Starting today Dec 3rd and ending Dec 8th, you can download six of Matt Brackens great books for free on Amazon. http://ww.calguns.net/calgunforum/sh...id=6&styleid=6
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 12-31-2017, 7:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Book 9 of the Going Home series: Conflicted Home, released on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/099...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 01-17-2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam View Post
... The Hunger Games is actually a really good book. I couldn't put it down once I started.

Also pretty freakin' libertarian, especially if you read the whole series.
Agreed. I think anyone who only read the first book should read the entire trilogy. Book Two is "Catching Fire" and Book Three is "Mockingjay."
Old 03-06-2018, 8:22 AM

I just finished The Axis of Evil by Bobby Akart, which is the first book in his Lone Star Series.

Without revealing too much about the plot, suffice to say this is going to be a series about an EMP attack on America. The book takes place in the early 2020's. This first book basically ends at the time of the attack, so it's mostly laying out the background and developing the characters that I assume will end up playing predominant roles as the series develops.

The main characters in the book so far are an extended family that operates what sounds like a good sized ranch in Texas. According to the book the grid in Texas is largely independent of the rest of the country (I don't know if that's true in the real world), and I assume that will play prominently as the book develops. The parents of this family have been preppers for some time, and are well prepared, not just for themselves and their family but also to support their workers.

On the positive side, this first book does an admirable job of character development. It's well written and edited, with few of the grammatical errors that seem to plague so many books in this genre.

I don't have anything so negative to say that should keep people from reading this book, but I would just note that the EMP scenario is not an unusual one. My other comment is that I expect this will be one of those "best case" books that talks about how a family that finds itself in nearly ideal circumstances deals with the aftermath. Personally, I prefer the stories that deal with more realistic scenarios involving people that don't have either the forethought or the means for extensive preparations. Unfortunately, I do not have multiple underground bunkers with space and provisions to house 20-25 people for an extended period.

That said, I am looking forward to continuing to read the series. The second book is scheduled for release late this month (March 2018).

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Old 03-06-2018, 9:19 AM

Peoples republic was an entertaining read.
Old 03-12-2018, 8:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, this thread has kept me busy over the last three weeks.

First, I went through all 9 Survivalist books. Note that you can read some of the books as ebooks for free through your local library. Worth a look. Great story, somewhat upbeat but difficult life...but good support system in place. Luck plays a part in it too. You also learn about workarounds and "survival" a little bit. Easy read.

Second, I'm on the 3rd book of The Remaining series. Also reading them as ebook through the local library. They're all tough, difficult reads. Not so much from a grammar or comprehension perspective, but just a tough story. Seems like everything that can go wrong goes wrong...constantly. It seemed like it wasn't until the 3rd book that some good news came about. So a little depressing. The author though does a better job of describing emotions and environments relative to The Survivalist series.

Back to reading...
Old 03-12-2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonmike5 View Post
Second, I'm on the 3rd book of The Remaining series. Also reading them as ebook through the local library. They're all tough, difficult reads. Not so much from a grammar or comprehension perspective, but just a tough story. Seems like everything that can go wrong goes wrong...constantly. It seemed like it wasn't until the 3rd book that some good news came about. So a little depressing. The author though does a better job of describing emotions and environments relative to The Survivalist series.

Back to reading...
I'll tell you what....I have not read anything as good as The Remaining series since it came out. In fact, I might even say it may very well be the best series I have ever read.
Old 03-13-2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Well, this thread has kept me busy over the last three weeks.

First, I went through all 9 Survivalist books. Note that you can read some of the books as ebooks for free through your local library. Worth a look. Great story, somewhat upbeat but difficult life...but good support system in place. Luck plays a part in it too. You also learn about workarounds and "survival" a little bit. Easy read.

Back to reading...
The Remaining series was great and Mr. Murphy was along for a good portion of it. The most brutal book I read was Day Of Wrath by William Forstchen.
Old 03-13-2018, 5:18 PM

Try The Jakarta Pandemic. Realistic SHTF, no zombies. Or One Second After.

Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I
Old 03-13-2018, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Just finished the first installment in the Arisen series. Pretty good for Zombie Apocalypse fare - liking the heavy Military involvement.
Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
Quote:
"We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt
Old 03-13-2018, 6:24 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Pretty good book. I finished it last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
I just finished The Axis of Evil by Bobby Akart, which is the first book in his Lone Star Series.

Without revealing too much about the plot, suffice to say this is going to be a series about an EMP attack on America. The book takes place in the early 2020's. This first book basically ends at the time of the attack, so it's mostly laying out the background and developing the characters that I assume will end up playing predominant roles as the series develops.

The main characters in the book so far are an extended family that operates what sounds like a good sized ranch in Texas. According to the book the grid in Texas is largely independent of the rest of the country (I don't know if that's true in the real world), and I assume that will play prominently as the book develops. The parents of this family have been preppers for some time, and are well prepared, not just for themselves and their family but also to support their workers.

On the positive side, this first book does an admirable job of character development. It's well written and edited, with few of the grammatical errors that seem to plague so many books in this genre.

I don't have anything so negative to say that should keep people from reading this book, but I would just note that the EMP scenario is not an unusual one. My other comment is that I expect this will be one of those "best case" books that talks about how a family that finds itself in nearly ideal circumstances deals with the aftermath. Personally, I prefer the stories that deal with more realistic scenarios involving people that don't have either the forethought or the means for extensive preparations. Unfortunately, I do not have multiple underground bunkers with space and provisions to house 20-25 people for an extended period.

That said, I am looking forward to continuing to read the series. The second book is scheduled for release late this month (March 2018).

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 03-13-2018, 6:25 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatt511 View Post
Try The Jakarta Pandemic. Realistic SHTF, no zombies. Or One Second After.
Agreed, good book

Ps 25:4-5 NLT Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.
Old 03-13-2018, 6:26 PM
Arizona Ex-Pat

Read Alas Babylon great cold war book

Old 03-20-2018, 3:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
I'll tell you what....I have not read anything as good as The Remaining series since it came out. In fact, I might even say it may very well be the best series I have ever read.
I just finished The Remaining series. I'll stick to what I said, difficult read (emotionally). But yes, very good series. Well worth reading, you'll feel the ups and downs and frustrations. It does put things into perspective.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:26 AM

One Second After

I Am Legend (book is WAY better than the movie).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 6:28 PM

Just purchased a new-release, The Terminal List by Jack Carr. Heard an interview with the author (who is a former Navy Seal sniper) on a major radio show and everything about this book sounds intense. I can't seem to find a single negative review about it yet either. I haven't read one page however as I literally just picked it up today from the bookstore. Looking forward to it though as I have yet to read a book this year!

Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just read all three Day After books. Really good read as others had said. Very deep with a lot of history to boot. Arguably a framework type book if any event like this ever comes to pass.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Just purchased a new-release, The Terminal List by Jack Carr. Heard an interview with the author (who is a former Navy Seal sniper) on a major radio show and everything about this book sounds intense. I can't seem to find a single negative review about it yet either. I haven't read one page however as I literally just picked it up today from the bookstore. Looking forward to it though as I have yet to read a book this year!

Bought it when it came out and finished it in 3 days. Excellent read. He recently did an interview on Andy Stumpf’s podcast Cleared Hot I think episode 31.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 PM

Olivia Butler, "Parable of the Sower"
Old 04-11-2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAVOC5150 View Post
Bought it when it came out and finished it in 3 days. Excellent read. He recently did an interview on Andy Stumpf’s podcast Cleared Hot I think episode 31.
Been so busy I haven't had much time to read but I'm about 2/3 through The Terminal List and wow the praise and acclaim this book has been getting is well deserved! Definitely one of the most thrilling books I've read in a while.
Old 04-11-2018, 8:31 PM

Try A Borrowed World by Franklin Horton ... 1st of a series. Read it in a day ... couldn't put it down.
Old 04-11-2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Been so busy I haven't had much time to read but I'm about 2/3 through The Terminal List and wow the praise and acclaim this book has been getting is well deserved! Definitely one of the most thrilling books I've read in a while.
Yeah, it is a great book. Can’t wait to see what else he’s coming out with. Not really a SHTF read, but a great thriller to say the least.
Old 04-13-2018, 8:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just read True Allegiance from the library. Another good read. Another angle on how things can spiral out of control.
Old 04-13-2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Just read True Allegiance from the library. Another good read. Another angle on how things can spiral out of control.
Is that by political commentator Ben Shapiro? I love listening to him speak. How detailed and accurate are the military scenes in this novel? A lot of the reviews I read said the book felt really rushed...
Old 04-30-2018, 9:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Same author as commentator. I don't think there was a lot of military scenes.
Old 04-30-2018, 9:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just finished 299 days (all 10 books). Another good read. Arguably a little slow as it spends a lot time explaining things in simple terms as well as providing some blueprints. It is an easy read though.
Old 07-25-2018, 5:06 PM

These may have been already mentioned. I enjoyed these on Audible.

Commune series by Joshua Gayou

Mountain Man series by Keith C. Blackmore

After it happened series by Devon C. Ford
Old 08-20-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruwrx View Post
Parable of the sower. by Octavia Butler. Set in SoCal. Feels entirely possible and very realistic.

Just read this this weekend. My thoughts....meh. Better than some other books, and the scenario is believable and realistic, but the philosophy of a new “religion”was lost on me. The ebook included a substantial preview of the next, and while it held my attention, it didn’t make me want to purchase it.

The Terminal List was great. Held my attention all the way through. I also enjoyed Day of Wrath. Both of these books I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the next in the series, if there was one. However, both are stand-alone books.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 7:32 PM

Try Franklin Horton's novels ... I really enjoyed The Borrowed World series, just finished book 6. I just finished the first book in his Locker 9 series ... great read, especially if you have a kid near college age.
Old 08-21-2018, 8:18 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Wool.

Seriously.

One of the best books I've read in a long time. You'll like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-How...70_&dpSrc=srch

The Martian was the other.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 08-22-2018, 5:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Book 10 of the Going Home series: Home Coming, available on Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/Home-Coming...JRSAMK5J5K3QKJ
Old 08-26-2018, 7:06 PM

I didn't know it but the Terminal List has an actual trailer....

Old 08-29-2018, 1:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You will enjoy Molon Labe by Boston T Party. although its not exactly a SHTF book it contains many elements relating to liberty and the gun culture. It fits in the category like Unintended Consequences(Ross) Bracken trilogy, patriots,etc,etc.

As a side after reading comments here . I feel vindicated by not finishing the 2nd Rawles novel. It was the reference to zerogov nutcase that had me reject it .

If you haven't read Atlas Shugged by Ayn Rand,its a certainty you will thoroughly enjoy it and it does or could relate directly to SHTF!
Old 08-29-2018, 1:46 PM

The Windup Girl
Old 08-29-2018, 1:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Have you read The Stand by Steven King? I wasn't expecting him to write a book in this genre, but it was very good IMO.
I was just a kid when I read it, but it had me on the couch for 2 hours minimum every time I opened it. Great writers can paint scenes in your mind with the detail found in the brush of a great Renaissance painter. “Salem’s Lot” is still my favorite of his works. Far and away his most terrifying which unlike “The Stand,” was equally excellent in the television mini-series.
Old 09-17-2018, 5:41 PM

I read A LOT during deer season. I finished the four Mountain Man series of books and while I’m not usually super excited about zombie novels, these were good. I would recommend them.

Grace under fire I enjoyed. As well.

Homestead I might call unremarkable because I just opened my kindle library to refresh myself on what it was about, and I don’t really remember reading it. I know that I did, but I’ll probably read it again.....

Anyway, I need some new recommendations, I’ve got 5 days of hunting left.....

Old 09-17-2018, 5:50 PM

One Year After
Old 09-17-2018, 6:15 PM

The Final Day
Old 09-24-2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Wool.

Seriously.

One of the best books I've read in a long time. You'll like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Hugh-How...70_&dpSrc=srch

The Martian was the other.

Just finished Wool. Pretty good. Not SHTF but a dystopian novel. It kept me interested. Recommended.