Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-14-2012, 6:32 PM

Default Got a free one year membership in the mail to CRPA today.

I didn't see anything doing a few searches on this so sorry if this is duplicate.

Got a free one year membership to CRPA today in the mail with the NRA logo on it. I've heard a few mixed reviews over the years regarding the organization and was wondering what others opinions are regarding this?

Thanks!
-Greg
Old 11-14-2012, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

send it back

1A-2A = -1A
Old 11-14-2012, 6:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

CRPA is really looking hard for new members. I'm not surprised that it and NRA would try such an approach given the circumstances.
Old 11-14-2012, 6:45 PM

I received the same thing today also.
Old 11-14-2012, 7:14 PM
Veteran Member

As an NRA member I recieved the same! Given the few responses so far...is it a bad thing?
Old 11-14-2012, 7:32 PM
Gun Runner to The Stars
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I got the same thing, even though I let my NRA membership run out some time back. The free CPA membership offer went straight in the trash along with all the other stuff that NRA keeps sending me as if I'm still a member. When NRA decides to get back to lobbying for gun rights and stop backing legislation that infringes on peoples' other natural and constitutional rights... I'll reconsider.

Old 11-15-2012, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGuy View Post
I got the same thing, even though I let my NRA membership run out some time back. The free CPA membership offer went straight in the trash along with all the other stuff that NRA keeps sending me as if I'm still a member. When NRA decides to get back to lobbying for gun rights and stop backing legislation that infringes on peoples' other natural and constitutional rights... I'll reconsider.
Unless I read your post wrong and your link wrong, you are Ok with the question of firearms being asked by the DR.s and the documenting of such? If so I disagree and am all for that not being asked, it has nothing to do with health care IMO, my wife is in the health care profession and sees no need either! I do not want or need my health care provider to know if I have the ability to defend my own life!
Old 11-16-2012, 4:16 AM

After 35 years my wife and I let our CRPA memberships expire. Once we were informed of what the CRPA actually does, and where it spends our money, the decision was made for us. One of the final issues of the Firing Line we received mentioned planing for the Annual Gala - good old boys social club that has become a paper tiger in my opinion. There are better places to donate our money.
Old 11-16-2012, 4:47 AM

Straight into the Trash Mine went .....
Old 11-16-2012, 5:19 AM
Calguns Addict

So, how does an organization expect to fund its activities without paid memberships or donors? And how does an organization attract members/donors without effective campaigns?

People will not seperate themselves from their cash for just being a part of a 'gun club'... there has to be a compelling need filled by being a member of the group (besides having a bumper sticker and too late legislative updates).

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11-16-2012, 2:46 PM
=★= TRUMP 2024 =★=
CGN Contributor

I got one too and I'll be sending it back to CRPA with a letter of my reason for denying a free membership, based on what they have pulled over the last year.

The 2nd Amendment Explained
Old 11-16-2012, 6:58 PM
Banned

That free membership is worth less than you paid for it.
Old 11-16-2012, 7:11 PM
In Memoriam

I received mine also today and it was filed in the dead letter recycle bin.
-g
Old 11-16-2012, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Am I a bad person for keeping the "from" letter stickies and throwing the rest away???
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
Am I a bad person for keeping the "from" letter stickies and throwing the rest away???
Not at all. Just don't run any stickies through a paper shredder, the adhesive gums up the cutters eventually. Mrs. Wrangler had the shredder jam solid. When I disassembled it there was a free nickel coin that was included on a piece of junk mail, it was nearly cut in half - be careful it's a jungle out there.
Old 11-17-2012, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOEX FFF View Post
I got one too and I'll be sending it back to CRPA with a letter of my reason for denying a free membership, based on what they have pulled over the last year.
I just got mine in the mail today also. I was going to throw it away, but I like your idea better.
Old 11-17-2012, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Why the negitive attitude for CRPA?

Realy...I want to know! I am not a member but if they ar pro 2A...WTF happened to make all these negitive comments!
I do not want to misplace what little funds I have to support the 2A.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

like i said in post #2, send it back. What have they done to further our cause? I am not a member but I have read of the shenanigans within that organization and don't see why we should support it when there are worthier organizations.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't get the downside of accepting the membership - unless they have you set up for automatic renewal or somesuch.

If you are a member, maybe the opportunity will arise for you to do some good with the vote?

And it may be a good thing that the NRA is involved? They may be trying to resuscitate the CRPA? If so, and you choose not to accept the membership, why not send the free membership to the NRA? Tell the NRA why you don't want to be associated with the CRPA in a venue where it might help the NRA understand what the NRA shouldn't do - and what they need to pressure the CRPA to do?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Due to the issues with removing people from the board, others resigning and then someone posting a copy of their budget and then there was the "legal" letter about the use of the name from the group trying to save the group, I eliminated them as an organization which I considered to be a firearms rights organization, which I give a discount for.

Quite some time ago I received a letter for the free member, right after all that went down. It is my opinion that they are giving the free membership in order to keep the membership numbers up due to all the people who are no longer paying. Due to this, I trashed the "offer".

See also:

http://www.savecrpa.org/

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein