Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 09-16-2021, 3:02 PM
WingDings HQ Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Glass for muh first 308 bolt rifle?

I'm picking up a Tikka T3 in 308, has a 20in heavy barrel. I am interested in suggestions on what is the range of optic I should be looking at, what power and objective size would be best for someone starting out in long distance shooting.

I'm a big proponent of buy once cry once, so anything up to $1,000 would be acceptable.

Off the bat I was looking at either the Vortex Viper, or Leopold 3 HD series. Or perhaps the Vortex Strike Eagle, seems to be similarly featured to the Viper.

Is there any truth to sticking with MOA if you are bored custom to imperial units? Otherwise I was planning to get something in milrad.
Old 09-16-2021, 3:12 PM
Banned

MOA vs. MRAD, doesn't matter. Pick whatever you prefer. I use MRAD because they are decimals and I don't like dividing fractions on the range with MOA.

Check out the Athlon scopes. They are amazing.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-...fle-scope.html

Nightforce:
https://www.opticsplanet.com/nightfo...-SHV41456-C522

Don't hesitate to buy a used scope too. Vortex, Nightforce, Athlon all have great warranties.

Last edited by Sir Toast; 09-16-2021 at 3:17 PM..
Old 09-16-2021, 3:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

a lot of the PRS shooters seem to like the Bushnell Elite

BUSHNELL????? yes- they make a high end scope with japanese glass

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescopes...T46305GZA.html

frequently on sale

Model: ET46305GZA
ELITE TACTICAL XRS II 4.5-30X50 RIFLESCOPE FLAT DARK EARTH

This is it. This is the scope that's been to the podium at the King of 2 Miles and countless precision rifle matches. The one that's used by top shooters across the world to make shots count. This is confidence.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 09-16-2021, 4:49 PM
WingDings HQ Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is a 25 power scope, like the Viper Gen 2 overkill for 308? What would be considered the ideal magnification range? The EBR reticle looks pretty sick.

Last edited by Caligula36; 09-16-2021 at 5:00 PM..
Old 09-16-2021, 5:08 PM

How far do you plan on shooting? I have a Chicom made Vortex Strike eagle 5-25x on a 6.5 creedmoor.. only purchased it because it was less than $500 w/ vortex MIL discount. My range only goes out to 600 yards and I never find myself needing to go above 20X.
Old 09-16-2021, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Here and here.

**** opticsplanet.

Leupold man myself.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...hunting-optics

https://cameralandny.com/

Last edited by FatCity67; 09-16-2021 at 5:25 PM..
Old 09-16-2021, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

mils is much more common now, so unless you're shooting with friends that are all moa, you want mils.

i would call doug at cameralandny.com
Old 09-16-2021, 7:41 PM

heres an option

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020648416?pid=872076
Old 09-16-2021, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Higher power- for me- is to spot for my buddy.

I can crank up to max on low mirage days and spot for others.

I like being able to see my impact / miss. too high of power and you can't or I can;t see where my round hit.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 09-17-2021, 5:12 AM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

For around 1k, you can find a used Vortex Razor 5-25x scope.
Old 09-17-2021, 6:03 AM

The reticle needs to be in the same units as the turrets. Mil dot reticle with MOA turrets made things way too complicated.

How much power is enough, think about how big your target is. 1000 yard ranges that have a target pit, the entire target and the number under the target are both 6 ft x 6 ft. That is 2 mil x 2 mil. A man size target is 0.5 mil wide and 2 mil tall. Just something to think about.
Old 09-17-2021, 8:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8vrmind View Post
How far do you plan on shooting? I have a Chicom made Vortex Strike eagle 5-25x on a 6.5 creedmoor.. only purchased it because it was less than $500 w/ vortex MIL discount. My range only goes out to 600 yards and I never find myself needing to go above 20X.
That question is actually a pretty big deal. If the OP is shooting out to 600 yards as you are, then a good 3-9 scope is really all he needs. Any used Leupold or Redfield meeting, say, 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 would do very well. So would a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical (made in Japan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula36 View Post
I'm picking up a Tikka T3 in 308, has a 20in heavy barrel. I am interested in suggestions on what is the range of optic I should be looking at, what power and objective size would be best for someone starting out in long distance shooting.

I'm a big proponent of buy once cry once, so anything up to $1,000 would be acceptable.

Off the bat I was looking at either the Vortex Viper, or Leopold 3 HD series. Or perhaps the Vortex Strike Eagle, seems to be similarly featured to the Viper.

Is there any truth to sticking with MOA if you are bored custom to imperial units? Otherwise I was planning to get something in milrad.
"Buy once cry once" works if you're already a good marksman. If you're not, then buying a $1,000 scope is like learning how to drive on a Porsche 911. You can, of course, but you're better off learning on a Honda Civic/Accord or Toyota Corolla/Camry. Since I don't know your experience level, it's kinda tough to advise you on this.

Vortex Vipers are good. Any Leupold is also good.

Regarding MOA or milrad, either system works just fine. It's simply, "do you want to work with inches or in metric?" That's all. What matters far, far more is whether your reticle and your turrets are the same. There are some scopes that were made (e. g. certain Leupold Mark 4's) where the turrets are MOA, but the reticle is milrad. One can make this work, and plenty have, but it's another calculation step.

I have a Redfield Revolution TAC-MOA which has both turrets and reticle in (as you might've guessed) MOA. It's very easy to shoot with. Also got a Leupold and a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical, both in milrad (turret and reticle), and both of *them* are also easy to shoot with. Just make sure turret and reticle are in the same measurements, and you'll be fine.

I would also advise you to avoid anything "Made In China" for several reasons, only one of which is spotty quality.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:21 AM
WingDings HQ Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
That question is actually a pretty big deal. If the OP is shooting out to 600 yards as you are, then a good 3-9 scope is really all he needs. Any used Leupold or Redfield meeting, say, 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 would do very well. So would a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical (made in Japan).

"Buy once cry once" works if you're already a good marksman. If you're not, then buying a $1,000 scope is like learning how to drive on a Porsche 911. You can, of course, but you're better off learning on a Honda Civic/Accord or Toyota Corolla/Camry. Since I don't know your experience level, it's kinda tough to advise you on this.

Vortex Vipers are good. Any Leupold is also good.

Regarding MOA or milrad, either system works just fine. It's simply, "do you want to work with inches or in metric?" That's all. What matters far, far more is whether your reticle and your turrets are the same. There are some scopes that were made (e. g. certain Leupold Mark 4's) where the turrets are MOA, but the reticle is milrad. One can make this work, and plenty have, but it's another calculation step.

I have a Redfield Revolution TAC-MOA which has both turrets and reticle in (as you might've guessed) MOA. It's very easy to shoot with. Also got a Leupold and a Weaver Grand Slam Tactical, both in milrad (turret and reticle), and both of *them* are also easy to shoot with. Just make sure turret and reticle are in the same measurements, and you'll be fine.

I would also advise you to avoid anything "Made In China" for several reasons, only one of which is spotty quality.
Thank you, great explanation! I noticed Leupolds have a much simpler reticule than the Vortex's EBR. I would like to have the option of having a high end scope to 'learn into', but i see what youre saying. Leupold 3HD seems to be a good price point. The 5HD seems to be on par with the Viper's price range.

This looks interesting, though it is MOA.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38438724153...EAAOSwRUJhO9SO
Old 09-17-2021, 11:05 AM

All the scopes mentioned so far would serve you well. I would definitely recommend going Mils over MOA (unless your shooting partners use MOA - then go with whatever your shooting buddies use). My SWFA 3-15x scope on my Grendel had me ringing steel out to 600 yards and it was boringly repeatable. I hope to take it farther soon, but the steel only went out to 600 at that range. 5-25x might be nice if you're shooting or spotting hits at longer ranges, but it definitely isn't necessary. I honestly prefer having 2~3x on the low end for occasional hunting use.

If you decide to go with the Vortex Viper Gen 2, the 3-15x is on clearance at EuroOptic for $599. I'm not sure you'll find a better value than that! If I wasn't already flush with scopes, I'd pick one up myself .

If you want to step up a bit in glass quality, the Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x is a very good deal at your budget of $1k. It bridges the gap between the Viper Gen 2 and the Razor HD Gen 2 in terms of features & price pretty nicely. I have an Ares BTR 2.5-15x (a step down from the ETR) and it compares pretty favorably to the Viper PST 3-15x. I haven't seen the ETR first hand but hear it's a nice step up in image resolution & clarity from the BTR and Viper.

The Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x is a pretty good deal at its discounted price of 899. The Bushy Elite series is known for its rock-solid build quality and durability. The glass is good for the price, and I really like the reticle in mine. I have it on my 6.5 Creedmoor AR and it suits the heavier rifle nicely. Might not be the best for a "hike around" gun.

Last edited by DrewTheBrave; 09-17-2021 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-17-2021, 3:26 PM

Mil or MOA is just preference- pick whichever you prefer. There really is no such thing as too much magnification for target shooting (hunting yes), so get something in the 3-15x or 5-25x range. You want something that dials reliably but weight doesn't matter much because it's a target rifle. I'd go with a Vortex Viper, Strike Eagle, or used Razor. Leupold makes fantastic scopes but they are designed more for hunting than target shooting. I'd look for a used Viper.
Old 09-18-2021, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post

frequently on sale

This is it. This is the scope that's been to the podium at the King of 2 Miles and countless precision rifle matches. The one that's used by top shooters across the world to make shots count. This is confidence.
Any data on that? I see Nightforce, Kahles, Vortex, and Tangent... Bushnell is way at the bottom for top 10. Also the people using Bushnell tend to finish last...
CZ Czechmate
Thompson Center T/CR22
CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S1 Carbine
Colt LE6920CMPS-B
Arsenal SAM7R-61
Masterpiece Arms 308BA
Mossberg 500 Tactical
Old 09-18-2021, 5:37 AM

I have a pretty cheap (sub $500) Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10x40 scope and have no complaints. Put it on a Model 70 Extreme Weather.

I have essentially no hunting experience (bought my setup for hunting, not target shooting), so take what I say with a grain of salt, but with that said nearly anyone I have spoken to has said that was a fine choice for my needs. Sure, I could have spent much, much more, but I have no aspirations for taking super long shots, especially as someone new to hunting, and I can always upgrade if I need to, but for someone new to hunting, as I said I wont be taking any long distance shots, and if I can't do what I set out to do (deer or boar) and miss my shots it's most likely due to my lack of experience/skill and NOT the fault oof the gear). With that said, seems like you'd easily see the benefit of putting money into the best you can buy when it comes to a scope for target shooting compared to a scope that someone wants to mount onto a rifle for run of the mill deer hunting.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 09-18-2021 at 5:42 AM..
Old 09-18-2021, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post

frequently on sale

Very very true.
Old 09-18-2021, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula36 View Post

Vortex Strike Eagle is a good choice for now.
Old 09-18-2021, 7:28 PM

For 308 a lot of people like the etched reticle. I used an SWF a super sniper fixed 10 power scope at about 225 bucks to 300 bucks depending on if you buy them new or used they are pretty amazing for the money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2021, 8:25 PM
WingDings HQ Contributor
CGN Contributor

Lots of good info in here, thank you!
Old 09-18-2021, 9:34 PM

That's Good Too Also I think it's worth it..
Old 09-20-2021, 12:11 PM

Vortex, leupold, nightforce, u.s optics, are all gtg. If you got the cash, nightforce, vortex razor 2, schmidt and bender are excellent and probably wont need another scope for a while or ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2021, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin11mee View Post
Mil or MOA is just preference- pick whichever you prefer. There really is no such thing as too much magnification for target shooting (hunting yes), so get something in the 3-15x or 5-25x range. You want something that dials reliably but weight doesn't matter much because it's a target rifle. I'd go with a Vortex Viper, Strike Eagle, or used Razor. Leupold makes fantastic scopes but they are designed more for hunting than target shooting. I'd look for a used Viper.
this is true if you shoot alone, but might suck if you get an MOA scope and all your buddies are making wind calls in MILS.
Old 09-27-2021, 8:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheBrave View Post
The Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x is a pretty good deal at its discounted price of 899. The Bushy Elite series is known for its rock-solid build quality and durability. The glass is good for the price, and I really like the reticle in mine. I have it on my 6.5 Creedmoor AR and it suits the heavier rifle nicely. Might not be the best for a "hike around" gun.
That one is just 1 step below the Bushnell XRS II posted above. Made in Japan. The only reason the DMR II is so cheap is because the DMR III came out last year. That scope with a Christmas tree reticle will probably do you fine on any long range rifle you end up with.
Old 09-27-2021, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That one is just 1 step below the Bushnell XRS II posted above. Made in Japan. The only reason the DMR II is so cheap is because the DMR III came out last year. That scope with a Christmas tree reticle will probably do you fine on any long range rifle you end up with.
Indeed. The XRS2 and DMR3 are excellent scopes in the $1500+ range. The DMR2 used to list for the same price, but now that it's on clearance under $900, it's REALLY hard to beat.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited by DrewTheBrave; 09-27-2021 at 8:55 AM..