Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-15-2017, 4:39 PM

Default Hog hunting spots recommendation?

Hi,
I was told that some farmers in central California would like invite hunters to hunt hog in their farms.

Can Anybody provide contract info about that?
or any other hog spot info.

Thank u so.much in advance.
Old 10-15-2017, 4:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tagged because, this is going to be good.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 10-15-2017, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

You were told wrong
Pigs are a cash crop now days.
Old 10-15-2017, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

Be prepared to pay anywhere from $600 to $1k for the privilege to hunt California pig.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:00 PM

Farmers invite hunters to pay them a bunch of money to take care of the farmers problem.
Kind of like used motor oil. Years ago a guy would come by the shop and buy the used oil from oil changes. Now the shop has to pay for hazmat removal.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 5:59 PM

heres the deal.... certain farmers invite certain folks to kill hogs on their places. very rare to find anyone who will let strangers hunt their place. as was said in this post already, if a ranch has a consistant hog population it usually is then used for income thru a guided hog hunting operation.
Old 10-15-2017, 5:59 PM

#popcorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2017, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

List looks like this:

1) Joe No One

His number is (916) 123-4567.

Seriously, you have to pay
Old 10-15-2017, 6:23 PM

Lake Sonoma archery pig hunt program. Look it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofmayhem View Post
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 10-15-2017, 7:30 PM
Banned

Boys, be serious.
The OP asked for a good place to get him a pig. Why not to help?
You need to help new guys who is not able to search the forum for available info.
Give him your spots. here is one of mine in Sacramento area.
Exact coordinated to park the car and go from there. I hope he has and can use a GPS.
If not, Google maps is good too.
38.568014, -121.486238
Old 10-15-2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
Boys, be serious.
The OP asked for a good place to get him a pig. Why not to help?
You need to help new guys who is not able to search the forum for available info.
Give him your spots. here is one of mine in Sacramento area.
Exact coordinated to park the car and go from there. I hope he has and can use a GPS.
If not, Google maps is good too.
38.568014, -121.486238
Mmmm. Ramen pork....
Old 10-15-2017, 9:55 PM

Not Central CA, but here's a farmer that would be willing to help out:

34.0069° N, 118.2180° W
Im going to be heading on a road trip out to lake tahoe and was wondering if i hit a deer driving at night and it doesnt die can i shoot it or leave it on the road till it dies then drag it to the side ?
Old 10-16-2017, 5:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You heard wrong. Hunting hogs on private land is a cash business. Probably heard it from a cop their info is almost always wrong if it involves gun laws or hunting\.
Old 10-16-2017, 6:04 AM
Veteran Member

20-30 years ago it wasn't uncommon for farmers to pay people to come and cull pigs from their property so they could keep their crops profitable.

However, now days, the farmer can make more money letting his crops die, getting a check from .gov for that, and then charging hunters their left testicles to hunt pigs on his property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 10-16-2017, 7:32 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I hunted a place over run with pigs this weekend, it's a pay to play world OP. Either pay, offer "favors", or make friends with somebody.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-16-2017, 7:38 AM

Thank you guys.
I am willing to pay for hog hunting. I am in Sacramento area, Please recommend spots not too far from Sacramento with reasonable price and relatively easier for hunting beginner.
Thank you so much guys.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Hog hunts cost $750.

The guides consider that reasonable. You are free to disagree, but money talks.

You can pay less, but you won't be on ag land with a high success rate.

Try Fort Hunter Ligget and Tejon Ranch.

Both are better than public land, but neither comes close to guided farm or ranch land.

Last edited by God Bless America; 10-16-2017 at 9:30 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 9:49 AM

Thank you!
I will hunt with my friends, 3 or 4 people in total.
$750 is for per person, per team, or per hog?

As my understanding, Fort Hunter Ligget and Tejon Ranch will not provide guide, right?
How much would they charge? where can i find their contact info?

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Hog hunts cost $750.

The guides consider that reasonable. You are free to disagree, but money talks.

You can pay less, but you won't be on ag land with a high success rate.

Try Fort Hunter Ligget and Tejon Ranch.

Both are better than public land, but neither comes close to guided farm or ranch land.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:51 AM

Practically speaking, such farmers are mythological. When farming was small business (less than 160 acres by law), small farmers used community resources to deal with their problem hogs. In the 70's, farming changed to allow farms to grow to monstrous sizes. But you have to understand farming.
Often, the farming company isn't even the same person as the landowner. Many times, the landowner outsources the farming operations or leases the land to a farming company for a share of the profit, revenues, etc. (lots of different arragements). The farming company may subcontract with a professional guide service for depredation hunts to limit crop losses or the landowner may further lease the hunting rights to a larger guiding company. The net result is that, very often, the landowner couldn't legally let you hunt if he wanted to because he's contractually obligated to the guiding company for exclusive rights on his land. That all helps the landowner or farming company maximize the return on their investment.

More often than that, there are some retirees I've met who have buddies who bought a couple hundred acres somewhere and allow them to hunt a couple times a year. They don't farm in any seriousness -- mostly just plop some cattle nearby to take advantage of some write-offs to offset the new property taxes. But it's more just for the fun of hunting with friends than any serious need to address a threat to their little hobby "business." I've met a few at the local range when I've gone mid-week. They'll brag because they know just how rare such an opportunity is these days. And they're keen to make sure that only them and their closest friends & family ever join them. Marrying into the family MIGHT get you access but even that isn't guaranteed.

Somebody should make a "Hot/Crazy Matrix" video for the "Mythological Farmer Needs Pig Hunters." If the pig hunting is free, it isn't very good. And if it is very good, it isn't free. I'm sure there are exceptions but don't count on them and, if you find them, don't tell anybody.

That being said, if you want free or cheap, I've heard that Hunter-Ligget has some hunts. I've only hunted just outside their property boundaries and can tell you that it's dense, steep, poison-oak infested land that hardly leaves any trace of sign that an animal has passed. Hiking is strenuous and scouting very difficult. Ticks, scorpions, rattlers, lions -- all there in abundance. Wind is highly variable. Maybe the base has some good access roads and clearings to make things easier. But hunting blind in that area is only for those who like serious challenge and can keep at it for days without seeing anything. Spend some time in there, get to know a couple square miles really well and you may find yourself a good honey-hole. Or not. Worst-case scenario, you spent some quality time in the woods and some gas money.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:54 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifting View Post
Thank you!
I will hunt with my friends, 3 or 4 people in total.
$750 is for per person, per team, or per hog?

As my understanding, Fort Hunter Ligget and Tejon Ranch will not provide guide, right?

Thank you!
Price is always per person unless you contact the guide/outfitter yourself and they say differently. Unless you go to a canned hunting (high fence style place like Big Horn Canyon Ranch, etc. others) nothing is guaranteed. Now a good hog outfitter or ranch can have a really high % of success or maybe even advertise a 100% shot opportunity but it's up to you to hold up your end of the bargain and not miss or wound the hog so that it gets away. Typically if you shoot and wound a hog that isn't recovered your hunt is done.

If your new to hunting just bite the bullet and hire a guide. You will learn more in one hunt, even if its 1 day then you will weeks hunting by yourself.

If you want to stay close to home (your profile says Sacramento) google Garcia's Hunting Preserve. Jim seems to have some good pig ranches that I assume are relatively close to Sacramento. I bought bird cards for 6 years in a row from him and I think he's a good guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:59 AM

Thank you so much for your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Practically speaking, such farmers are mythological. When farming was small business (less than 160 acres by law), small farmers used community resources to deal with their problem hogs. In the 70's, farming changed to allow farms to grow to monstrous sizes. But you have to understand farming.
Often, the farming company isn't even the same person as the landowner. Many times, the landowner outsources the farming operations or leases the land to a farming company for a share of the profit, revenues, etc. (lots of different arragements). The farming company may subcontract with a professional guide service for depredation hunts to limit crop losses or the landowner may further lease the hunting rights to a larger guiding company. The net result is that, very often, the landowner couldn't legally let you hunt if he wanted to because he's contractually obligated to the guiding company for exclusive rights on his land. That all helps the landowner or farming company maximize the return on their investment.

More often than that, there are some retirees I've met who have buddies who bought a couple hundred acres somewhere and allow them to hunt a couple times a year. They don't farm in any seriousness -- mostly just plop some cattle nearby to take advantage of some write-offs to offset the new property taxes. But it's more just for the fun of hunting with friends than any serious need to address a threat to their little hobby "business." I've met a few at the local range when I've gone mid-week. They'll brag because they know just how rare such an opportunity is these days. And they're keen to make sure that only them and their closest friends & family ever join them. Marrying into the family MIGHT get you access but even that isn't guaranteed.

Somebody should make a "Hot/Crazy Matrix" video for the "Mythological Farmer Needs Pig Hunters." If the pig hunting is free, it isn't very good. And if it is very good, it isn't free. I'm sure there are exceptions but don't count on them and, if you find them, don't tell anybody.

That being said, if you want free or cheap, I've heard that Hunter-Ligget has some hunts. I've only hunted just outside their property boundaries and can tell you that it's dense, steep, poison-oak infested land that hardly leaves any trace of sign that an animal has passed. Hiking is strenuous and scouting very difficult. Ticks, scorpions, rattlers, lions -- all there in abundance. Wind is highly variable. Maybe the base has some good access roads and clearings to make things easier. But hunting blind in that area is only for those who like serious challenge and can keep at it for days without seeing anything. Spend some time in there, get to know a couple square miles really well and you may find yourself a good honey-hole. Or not. Worst-case scenario, you spent some quality time in the woods and some gas money.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I have pig hunted with Nolan Twisselman, and I went along on a Nessen Schmidt hunt, both were great.

Big Boar Stopper here on CG gets top marks.

The $750 is typically for a guided hunt, up to 2 days, with one pig. If the guide fails to put you on pigs, sometimes the cost is less. If you see pigs but miss, or change your mind, that's your fault and you pay.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Thank you so much for your info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Price is always per person unless you contact the guide/outfitter yourself and they say differently. Unless you go to a canned hunting (high fence style place like Big Horn Canyon Ranch, etc. others) nothing is guaranteed. Now a good hog outfitter or ranch can have a really high % of success or maybe even advertise a 100% shot opportunity but it's up to you to hold up your end of the bargain and not miss or wound the hog so that it gets away. Typically if you shoot and wound a hog that isn't recovered your hunt is done.

If your new to hunting just bite the bullet and hire a guide. You will learn more in one hunt, even if its 1 day then you will weeks hunting by yourself.

If you want to stay close to home (your profile says Sacramento) google Garcia's Hunting Preserve. Jim seems to have some good pig ranches that I assume are relatively close to Sacramento. I bought bird cards for 6 years in a row from him and I think he's a good guy.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq View Post
20-30 years ago it wasn't uncommon for farmers to pay people to come and cull pigs from their property so they could keep their crops profitable.

However, now days, the farmer can make more money letting his crops die, getting a check from .gov for that, and then charging hunters their left testicles to hunt pigs on his property.
Little acknowledged fact that farming harbors the nations biggest welfare queens.

It's a pretty good setup when you can turn a nuisance into cash flow. Can't blame the land owners for that.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 AM

Op there's lots of places that have hog problems. The truth is that in the agricultural business these problems are not handled publicly. If a large produce company (I say company because it's not farmers having problems it's companies). If a large company is having a pig problem they will call on a small list of people who will kill hogs by the truck load quickly and quietly. "Hunters" and those who hunt recreationally are not an effective tool to manage a problem like this. It's those specific few who have the ability to come every day/night to get the job done now are the ones getting these calls. The hunter who lives 3 hours away that wants to kill a pig or two during regular hunting hours is not what these agriculture companies are looking for.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Shay is right hunters never solve depredation problems even [pros are not that effective. It took anew Zealand company most of a year and a million dollars to kill al the hogs on santa cruz island.
Old 10-16-2017, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Tagged because, this is going to be good.
Yep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download (3).jpg (15.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Texas.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 10-17-2017, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Shay is right hunters never solve depredation problems even [pros are not that effective. It took anew Zealand company most of a year and a million dollars to kill al the hogs on santa cruz island.
and I still don't think they got them all ... they are like mice/rats and wont go away easy. I have heard rumors they are still there.

Member PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
Old 10-17-2017, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip View Post
Texas.
"Hi, there! I'm from California and looking to Get Into Hunting...I hear you have a hog problem. Well, sir, I'm here to help - just show me where the hogs are and I'll take care of them for you!"

Rancher:
Old 10-17-2017, 1:16 PM
Veteran Member

OP

I've hunted with Tom Willoughby half a dozen times. Back when I started it was $400 a pop - no pig, no pay. Dunno if he still does that...

I have not hunted with him in several years so I do know what his rates are now. His son's Blake (and sometimes Tom Jr.) hunt with him when groups are big enough to need that many guides. I have never not gotten a pig.

One year his son told me to shoot a pig that went about 80 pounds - my friends called it a fetus...But you play the odds and take your chances. He is knowledgeable and supportive - especially to new hunters. He has ranches from Salinas all the way down to Paso Robles. Some have walk-ins on the property where you can hang your pig until the rest of the party tags out. Transporting a chilled carcass home makes life easier.

http://www.fishandfield.com/city/cal...guide-service/
Old 10-18-2017, 7:02 AM

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivedabizness View Post
OP

I've hunted with Tom Willoughby half a dozen times. Back when I started it was $400 a pop - no pig, no pay. Dunno if he still does that...

I have not hunted with him in several years so I do know what his rates are now. His son's Blake (and sometimes Tom Jr.) hunt with him when groups are big enough to need that many guides. I have never not gotten a pig.

One year his son told me to shoot a pig that went about 80 pounds - my friends called it a fetus...But you play the odds and take your chances. He is knowledgeable and supportive - especially to new hunters. He has ranches from Salinas all the way down to Paso Robles. Some have walk-ins on the property where you can hang your pig until the rest of the party tags out. Transporting a chilled carcass home makes life easier.

http://www.fishandfield.com/city/cal...guide-service/
Old 10-18-2017, 7:02 AM

Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
Op there's lots of places that have hog problems. The truth is that in the agricultural business these problems are not handled publicly. If a large produce company (I say company because it's not farmers having problems it's companies). If a large company is having a pig problem they will call on a small list of people who will kill hogs by the truck load quickly and quietly. "Hunters" and those who hunt recreationally are not an effective tool to manage a problem like this. It's those specific few who have the ability to come every day/night to get the job done now are the ones getting these calls. The hunter who lives 3 hours away that wants to kill a pig or two during regular hunting hours is not what these agriculture companies are looking for.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifting View Post

Thank you!
Fort Hunter Liggett

Looks like Tejon is now guided. Call them and ask about semi-guided hunts, i know they used to offer them.
Old 10-19-2017, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Fort Hunter Liggett

Looks like Tejon is now guided. Call them and ask about semi-guided hunts, i know they used to offer them.
Thank you so much.
Old 10-22-2017, 2:37 PM

I actually ha e some in-laws with a pig problem, and they asked me to come try to thin the herd a bit. Central ca
Old 10-22-2017, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ Lucky guy. We had a place for 30 years and rancher and wife died. I am doing more bird hunting now.