Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Well, splithoof, that does suck. When you get a total lemon, it will stay with you a while. POS, dump it. Hopefully, the Henry I just bought will work. Find out Wed. Got my eyes on a Marlin .45 Colt now. But, first things first.
I have been told by folks who use them that Henry products are excellent in all regards. If I ever acquire another lever action firearm, it will likely be one of Anthony's best.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm not much of a lever guy, how does a rossi r92 compare to something like a marlin big loop?

TRP Full Rail in stock! $1399!

Ruger PCC (not the PC9), threaded barrel, only $475 in stock!

Ruger Precision Rifles! 6.5 Creedmore $1,099, .22 $385, .338 $1,499!

CZ SP-01 in stock, $619.99
CZ Scorpion EVO 3 black available, $999!
CZ Tactical Sport 9mm, in stock, $1,199!! .40 available $1,249! Only 1 available in 40!
#01171, #01172

Franklin Armory CA7 AR pistol in stock!

Main thread

website
Old 08-28-2018, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waygeekierthanu View Post
I'm not much of a lever guy, how does a rossi r92 compare to something like a marlin big loop?
Not sure what you mean by Marlin big loop ? A Marlin Big Loop is just a larger lever, not a gun.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-28-2018, 4:10 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Quote:
pennstater

splithoof, what made the Marlin '94 inadequate?
Quote:
splithoof

It was a pre-Remlin example. Rough, poorly fitted components, WOULD NOT RELIABLY FEED ANY TYPE OF AMMUNITION. EVER, and my experience over the years with a variety of quality firearms says "never again".
In the past I have compared it to a Jennings/Bryco Saturday Night Special, of which I also have an interest in.
My only regret is giving it away, as now even it has some value on the used market.

I consider splithoof a friend, so I hope he doesn't mind if I might elaborate on the Marlin 1894 carbines' feeding issues.

But before I do, please know that splithoof doesn't mess around. He is a superb marksman, and an experienced rifleman. Those of this stripe cannot and will not tolerate inferior gear for whatever reason. I only mention this so that one might understand his decision to quickly move on...

Meanwhile, my first experience with a Marlin 1894 carbine chambered in .357 was a pleasant one, but at an outdoor public shooting range, ringing steels at 35, 50, 75 and 100 yard steel. Shooting it was about the most fun I'd had with my clothes on. Needless to say, I wanted one of my own.

Months later one appeared in my lgs and I jumped on it. 10 days later it was giving me fits because it wouldn't feed but one bullet shape and only that with a good roll crimp. (the chamber portal was hard-edged, and rounds were catching. Too, the carrier, which has since been redesigned, had the cartridge at too steep an angle for the bolt to push it forward to chamber...)

I looked at a SASS/Cowboy Action shooting webpage which linked me to a post from a Single Action Shooting Society member with the handle of Widdowmaker, or, "Widder" and his Widdermatic Marlin. The tricks he learned from improving his own 1894 were an education for the rest of us, and, I believe, may have led to the carrier redesign, which now, when the cartridge is lifted to the chamber portal, is in greater favorable alignment for feeding.

To make a long story short, I was able to purchase a new design carrier from Brownells (stock will come and go; I had to wait awhile) and now my Marlin 1894CS357 will feed ANYTHING and everything .38/.357

And if you look at the chamber portal on the less-expensive Rossi 92, you will see chamfering of the chamber portal, and though the Win 92 is a different action, the principles of lifting the cartridge from the magazine portal to the chamber portal with a bolt push feed are the same. Hope this helps.
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 08-28-2018, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting post 200Apples, thanks for sharing.

FWIW, I have a brand new 2018 Marlin 1894C .357 sitting in front of me. I've cycled a lot of different ammo through it, both 38sp and .357....so far so good. I want to shoot it before I post up a review.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 08-28-2018, 6:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I guess like this one: https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever.../model-1895sbl

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

CZ Tactical Sport 9mm, in stock, $1,199!! .40 available $1,249! Only 1 available in 40!
#01171, #01172

Main thread

website
Old 08-28-2018, 7:34 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

That, while very similar in appearance and function to an 1894 (or perhaps even a 336), is a Model 1895, and chambered for the .45-70 Gov't cartridge. This isn't a pistol caliber (although somewhere, somehow, someone has crafted a .45-70 wheel gun, I'm sure). While an 18.5" barrel and a full-length magazine, it is only a 6-shot magazine capacity due to the sheer size of the cartridge.

The loop, though, can be purchased separately (in blue or stainless) and fitted to any short-rifle-configuration 1894. The difference between short rifle and carbine in this case is that the stock is shaped with the palm swell design rather than the straight stock associated with the Marlin 1894 pistol-caliber carbines.
"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 08-28-2018, 7:47 PM

Yep, picked up a Marlin 1895G in 45-70. I wanted something a little more convenient than the single shot 1874 Pedersoli Sharps I already had.... It doesn't quite have the nostalgia of the '74, but I like it... :-)
Old 08-28-2018, 8:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
That, while very similar in appearance and function to an 1894 (or perhaps even a 336), is a Model 1895, and chambered for the .45-70 Gov't cartridge. This isn't a pistol caliber (although somewhere, somehow, someone has crafted a .45-70 wheel gun, I'm sure). While an 18.5" barrel and a full-length magazine, it is only a 6-shot magazine capacity due to the sheer size of the cartridge.

The loop, though, can be purchased separately (in blue or stainless) and fitted to any short-rifle-configuration 1894. The difference between short rifle and carbine in this case is that the stock is shaped with the palm swell design rather than the straight stock associated with the Marlin 1894 pistol-caliber carbines.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#01171, #01172

Main thread

website
Old 08-28-2018, 8:24 PM

Apples, thank you for the kind words😎.
If indeed Marlin (or whomever is the current manufacturer) has addressed the issues, that is great news. I wish all companies in the firearms business success.
I have always been interested in a .45-70 lever gun, and if aquired would want a Wild West Guns conversion to their Co Pilot model. Might even be able to purchase the whole package directly from them. The two that I have personally handled (one of which was in a "Scout" configuration) were absolutely works of art, and I'm sure they were 100% reliable. Expensive? Oh yea for sure, but if you want that level of craftsmanship you must pay for it. If you are really into lever guns, get one and enjoy it!