Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 03-20-2013, 8:02 AM

Default slinging up

Successive shots from prone go lower and more to the right. Any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Without watching you shoot its hard to tell. But I suspect you're changing your check weld as the rifle settles in and your sling loosens.

As I've gotten older I thought I was gaining patience, then I realized I simply don't give a crap.
Old 03-21-2013, 5:33 AM

Whats a check weld?
The sling does loosen with each shot.
Old 03-21-2013, 5:46 AM
Calguns Addict

you're probably too loose on the sling since your position is relaxing and you're letting the rifle fall away from your body. Make sure the sling is high on the bicep. Make sure the rifle is over your support elbow when in position. Try choking up on the foreend with the support hand or shorten the sling a notch if choking up puts you too high up in the position.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM

The sling is tight when I start. It loosens a little bit with every shot.
Old 03-22-2013, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan B View Post
The sling is tight when I start. It loosens a little bit with every shot.
You're going to have to rework the sling so that when you tighten it down, it won't come loose. That, or get a new sling that works more for shooting than for carrying.

When I tighten down a National Match '1917' style leather sling, I pretty much cut off the circulation to my arm when I tighten it around my arm (above the peak of the bicep, towards the shoulder).

See (9-10 sec mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbTx-OzqorE&hd=1

I place the sling on the arm at pretty much the same height on the arm in both sitting and prone.

The sling never comes loose because when I tighten it down, the keepers/hooks are placed directly in line with the direction of the outgoing part of the sling to the rifle, so the rifle's pull from my body isn't loosening the sling.

See if you can rework your sling type so the sling tensions work against itself.

Old 03-22-2013, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Whats a check weld?
The sling does loosen with each shot.
"check" is my hands don't always type what I think - I meant cheek.

As I've gotten older I thought I was gaining patience, then I realized I simply don't give a crap.
Old 03-22-2013, 5:23 PM

I wasn't familiar with the term `cheek weld'. I have been putting my eye as close to the rear sight as possible.
It's a standard military type sling, nylon. Bought it new. Can't figure out how to tighten it after it's on my arm? I do put the buckle in line with the direction of pull.
Old 03-22-2013, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/websling/webslinghelp.htm
Old 03-23-2013, 6:05 AM

Great video. The other question is `cheek weld'?
Old 03-23-2013, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Great video. The other question is `cheek weld'?
Its the position of the cheek on the stock. It needs to be the same with every shot, irons or scope. Shifting your cheek weld can shift your POI.

Old 03-26-2013, 1:44 PM

Could be a bad NPA...

When my rapid groups drift it's usually because I had a bad NPA setup.
Old 03-29-2013, 7:17 PM

Can you explain NPA?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Can you explain NPA?
Natural Point of Aim. Its where your rifle is pointed when your body is at rest in position. The best way to check it is to get into position with your rifle on target. Now close your eye and relax. Open your eyes and check your sights - where your rifle is pointed is your Natural Point of Aim. Adjust your position until tour NPA is on target.

If you're local to LA we might could meet up at either ASR or A Place to Shoot one weekend and maybe I could help you.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Timberwolf,
Thanks for the offer. A Place to Shoot is farther than I usually like to drive. Usually go to Angeles Shooting Ranges because of the distance. Live in North Hollywood. Help would help.
Old 04-03-2013, 6:18 AM

My elbows move from the recoil with every shot. Do I need to move them back after every shot?
Old 04-03-2013, 8:42 AM

Jonathan, the advice from those above is excellent but I would advise you to try to find and attend an Appleseed shoot. The 2 days of range time will dramatically improve your skills and you will have a better understanding of the advice given above.

Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!
Old 04-03-2013, 3:21 PM

Your elbows shouldn't be moving; something with your position must be off. You probably need to lean into the rifle more and get a tighter weld between your shoulder and the stock.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM

Lots of good advice here but tough to diagnose the problem on the forum. Your sling issue could be due to it being rigged incorrectly, not having a solid position (i.e. support elbow shifting) or may be a problem with the sling itself. I have seen some nylon slings that slip at the camming buckle (the buckle with the little tab to lock it in place) when properly tensioned. Getting some in-person help would be your best bet. I am a little far away, in Riverside, but let me know if you want a hand in the IE. +1 on a weekend at Appleseed would sort out the problem.
Old 04-10-2013, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Timberwolf,
Thanks for the offer. A Place to Shoot is farther than I usually like to drive. Usually go to Angeles Shooting Ranges because of the distance. Live in North Hollywood. Help would help.
Note: You might be able to just go to a Mid-Range or XTC match at the BRRC and get some help. There should be a few High Masters who can help you out.

http://brrc.org

Old 04-15-2013, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

BRRC is a great place for you to learn more about position shooting. There are also two or three casual highpower matches of reduced course at Angeles, on the private Fort A range, every month on Saturday at 7:30am. I usually shoot them if I'm not working, and the newest addition 4th Sunday at 7:30am is very well attended by the guys who shoot at BRRC.

I fought with a websling for a while until I got it right. I put it as high up on my bicep as possible, above the pad on my jacket, then I push the cinch buckle to the very outside of my arm and crank it down. Usually is tight through a whole string, but I'm starting to play with a leather sling because it shouldn't change tension through the string.
Old 04-15-2013, 9:24 AM

The Golden Bears are having their match this Sunday at Angeles. Stop by to check it out and ask questions. Just being able to watch others sling up and get into position should help a lot.
Old 05-03-2013, 6:10 AM

All the above advice is excellent, I would also caution you that placing your eye s close to the rear sight can give you problems, propper eye relief on a service style AR15 is 1.5-4 inches. As a 6th award Marine Expert rifleman, it also sounds like since your sling is loosening, that you are tensing up your body to try and correct for the lack of sling support, this will push your strings low as your shoulder tenses, and right as you allow the barrel to go right with the lack of sling tension.
Without seeing your shoting position, its hard to give the best advice, but i also coach my younger Marines to roll their supporting hand further underneath the handguard, ensuring the handguard is laying flat along the meaty portion of the palm. this often will help keep the rifle from moving around during rapid fire strings. Good Luck!