Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:57 PM

Default Minimalist fixed stocks?

Looking for some stock options that won't get in the way of my thumb with the Sparrow featureless grip. I saw the ACE Ultralight but it's 99 bucks for a simple butt pad and a foam tube. Anyone know of similar cheaper alternatives?
Old 04-17-2018, 1:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperius View Post
Looking for some stock options that won't get in the way of my thumb with the Sparrow featureless grip. I saw the ACE Ultralight but it's 99 bucks for a simple butt pad and a foam tube. Anyone know of similar cheaper alternatives?
That might be the cheapest you will find. Please note that a bigger than normal castle nut or buffer tube clamp found on many of these stocks will get in the way of your thumb. Also, any sling mounts in that location will get in the way.

Look at the second to last image on this FAQ page...
https://medium.com/@admin_49371/faq-...e-71a2f2244aa8

We are working on a minimal stock that will work great for our grip, but it won't be ready for a while.

A word of caution: Many cheap minimal stocks can be found on eBay coming out of China. They are garbage. An employee here bought one and the end plate broke first time out because it was cast aluminum. PLEASE support American manufacturers and invest in parts that will last.

Last edited by Sparrow Dynamics; 04-17-2018 at 1:45 PM.. Reason: added last line
Old 04-17-2018, 1:58 PM

The magpul MOE rifle stock is what I would go with but you need to use an A2 rifle buffer tube which may add to the cost.

https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-rifle-stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-17-2018, 2:43 PM
Illegitimi noncarborundum
CGN Contributor

Personally I'm a big fan of the Ace Stocks! This is one of those manufacturers whose products I totally love.

I have a couple of the shorter AFFX-E's on my primary and its backup. I had an Ace Stock put on a Vepr-12 I've since sold. As someone who has, in training only, damaged more than one 'mil spec' AR collapsible stock buffer tube, I really like how tough the buffer tube on them is. In one case this damaged, i.e. bent buffer tube rendered my primary weapon a club after a single shot. That night, based on the recommendation of the cranky old training instructor, I ordered my first ACE ARFX-E.

OP, are you looking at the; what do they call that one now, the ARUL? Even with the skeletonized stock, I'm pretty sure you're still buying one of those high strength buffer tubes.

It's like anything else in life right, good quality tools, and their pieces/parts cost money. You can't go wrong with the Ace Stocks.

Please note: as with other high quality products, ACE products (their trunnion mounted folding stock mount for instance) poor quality Chinese knockoffs/imitations/counterfeits are out there. If you do opt for the Ace Stock, do not source it from some bottom-feeder on E-Bay or similar unknown source. Spend the extra ten bucks and get it from a reputable source.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 04-17-2018 at 2:54 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

About as minimalist as you can get.

https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.co...iver-extension
Old 04-17-2018, 3:28 PM
NRA Lifer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudadeii View Post
About as minimalist as you can get.

https://www.battlearmsdevelopment.co...iver-extension
Beat me to it.... I have one on an AR9 that works well. Surprisingly comfortable to shoot with.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:11 AM

Luth AR makes a very minimal one.
Old 04-18-2018, 7:27 AM

I use a Phase 5 Universal Mini Stock from Wing Tactical 69.99 ..
Old 04-18-2018, 7:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

The Magpul fixed carbine stock will clear the Sparrow if you use the cut out end piece. Drill a small hole in the buffer tube to set it back where you like it.
Old 04-18-2018, 9:00 AM

MFT minimalist stock with strike industries stock stop will run you around $50, a bit less if you wait for sales.
Old 04-18-2018, 9:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
The Magpul fixed carbine stock will clear the Sparrow if you use the cut out end piece. Drill a small hole in the buffer tube to set it back where you like it.
This is a cool option Ive seen, and Im building one this way.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1403067

The Battle Arms minimal stock build is nice too!
Here is a great photo from a customer on our Instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhkmQEpnJxO/
Old 04-18-2018, 9:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Guntec

You can usually find them on sale for about $60.

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue! - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-18-2018, 10:45 AM

I pinned my MFT up though the sling Q/D hole with a 1/4 x 20 cap screw and modified T-Nut. Cost $1, and the stock feels even more solid.
Old 04-18-2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehazard View Post
I pinned my MFT up though the sling Q/D hole with a 1/4 x 20 cap screw and modified T-Nut. Cost $1, and the stock feels even more solid.
I was about to pin my stock as I have several rifles set up with the MFT but the stock stop was only $7 and didn't require anything done to the stock itself. Drawback of it is you can't run it close like smaller people or those who like to shoot squared up have it.
Old 04-18-2018, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperius View Post
BattleArmsDevelopment has one. It makes for a pretty short LOP though.

It is tough, good looking,and well made though.

If you can live with an 11" LOP if that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 04-19-2018, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrat View Post
I was about to pin my stock as I have several rifles set up with the MFT but the stock stop was only $7 and didn't require anything done to the stock itself. Drawback of it is you can't run it close like smaller people or those who like to shoot squared up have it.
The only mod required to the stock the way I did it was to drill a 1/8 hole though the center of the Q/D hole and the cap screw fits inside the Q/D hole. The whole thing is completely hidden and you can still use the Q/D attachment with the cap screw inside. The only downside is your cannot pin it at the fully collapsed position... which really isn't a con for most normal shooters and certainly not for anybody trying to use a high web style grip like the sparrow dynamics grip that wants that space anyways.