Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-16-2018, 1:03 PM

Default Drop in Grip Safety for Springer 1911 Milspec

Lookin for a beaver tail high ride grip safety that is drop in ready for the Springfield m1911a1 milspec. Does this exist?

Googling around it sounds like they all leave a gap and require smithing...

Old 04-16-2018, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good question. Im looking for the same thing. I like to keep the spur hammer on the mil spec with a beaver tail grip safety.

Last edited by heidad01; 04-16-2018 at 1:45 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check out MosinVirus' vid,

edit; OK, not sure why the tag's are not working. Must be an ID 10 T error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87LLCxZPdzA

Last edited by saudadeii; 04-16-2018 at 2:12 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 2:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes, you can obtain them from Wilson Combat HERE
Old 04-16-2018, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmContagion View Post
I just installed the Wilson "drop-in" grip safety in a Colt Government series 80. It is only "drop-in" with regards to how it fits pretty much flush with the frame. It still requires fitting to the trigger. Basically you will need to file off a small amount of material from the bottom of the arm or tab that sticks out and engages the trigger. Its pretty simple once you figure it out. I didnt get it right away, ended up ruining one safety because I filed off in the wrong spot. But its only a $35 part so it was a pretty cheap mistake. Here is my Colt with the Wilson grip safety:

I also installed the Wilson trigger, hammer, full length guide rod, and an extended thumb safety made by Klonimus. If you replace the thumb safety or hammer you will have to fit the thumb safety by filing off a small bit of matrial. Here is an excellent video for fitting a thumb safety:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9zF3xCZ6CrE
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 04-16-2018 at 2:35 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 2:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Problem with that Wilson part:

Says it works with "Commander Hammer" and a "bobbed Spur Hammer".

"" The drop-in safety is designed to work with a commander style hammer or a bobbed spur hammer.""

You can use most any brand beaver tail with a .250 radius (for Springfields) if you were to bob/cut the spur hammer short.

That is No Bueno.
Old 04-16-2018, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post

"" The drop-in safety is designed to work with a commander style hammer or a bobbed spur hammer.""

You can use most any brand beaver tail with a .250 radius (for Springfields) if you were to bob/cut the spur hammer short.

That is No Bueno.
Yep. Thats why I went an replaced the hammer and thumb safety at the same time. I used the Wilson ultralight skeletonized hammer.

TIP: install the hammer and thumb safety first. You will need to fit the thumb safety to the hammer. Then once that is working smoothly you can install and fit the grip safety without getting confused about what is doing what. Another reason why I ruined a grip safety when I did mine.

Here is the hammer I used:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/mobile/...ductinfo/337S/
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 04-16-2018 at 2:40 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 2:39 PM

So thereís no one in the gun world that has thought to make one that is truly drop in ready for the springer?? Ugh...

Anyone else know of one that maybe the rest of us are missing?

Old 04-16-2018, 2:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post

That is No Bueno.
Failed to read that... last one I did I replaced the hammer with a regular full size skeletonized hammer with no issues. Quickly ended up removing and going for a full radius option and shaping the tangs. This turned out much better. As with any 1911 part, they are rarely straight ďdrop in.Ē
Old 04-16-2018, 2:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalChihuahua View Post
So thereís no one in the gun world that has thought to make one that is truly drop in ready for the springer?? Ugh...

The problem is that the spur hammer will most likely make contact with the top of the beavertail. May I ask, why donít you just replace the hammer while youíre at it?
Old 04-16-2018, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So there’s no one in the gun world that has thought to make one that is truly drop in ready for the springer?? Ugh...

The Wilson is as drop in as it gets. All grip safeties have to be fitted to the trigger. That is just how it is with 1911s. The grip safety is oversized to allow you to file down the little arm that stick out and fit it to the trigger.

I think you are a little confused. Upswept extended beavertails require different hammers than the standard government hammer. Thats just how it is.

Last edited by lightcav; 04-16-2018 at 2:44 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 2:42 PM

Quote:
The problem is that the spur hammer will most likely make contact with the top of the beavertail. May I ask, why donít you just replace the hammer while youíre at it?
If I replace the hammer then will the safety be drop in?

Will replacing the hammer require fitting or will it be drop in?

Old 04-16-2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
The Wilson is. All grip safeties have to be fitted to the trigger. That is just how it is with 1911s. The grip safety is oversized to allow you to file down and fit it.
Darn I was hoping for drop in ready. I guess thatís just not an option?

Old 04-16-2018, 2:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Darn I was hoping for drop in ready. I guess that’s just not an option?
I think your a little confused still. It is drop in ready. Fitting parts in a 1911 is standard practice, its just how it is. But, dont be intimidated. Its not difficult at all. You just need to know how to do it. Its actually really simple and easy.

Again, YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILE ANYWHERE ON THE FRAME. That is why it is "drop in". You only need to file a very small amount of material on the arm than interacts with the back of the trigger.

I have no gunsmithing skills at all and I was able to do this. It doesnt even really count as gunsmithing IMO.

Last edited by lightcav; 04-16-2018 at 3:00 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 3:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Darn I was hoping for drop in ready. I guess thatís just not an option?
I think you should have a competent gunsmith fit you the proper bevertail... Although I think this ultimately leads to replacing a lot of the parts, but you can have them just replace the BT if thatís what you want
Old 04-16-2018, 3:49 PM

Are you trying to add a beaver tail because the spur hammer bites the web of your hand, or for other reasons?

If the former, you can bob the hammer. I did that on my colt, because it was bloodying my hand but I didn’t want to lose the factory look. I used a drop of birchwood Casey cold blue paste on the end of the hammer to match the finish as close as possible.

If the latter, you’ll need a different hammer or a bobbed stock hammer. As others have mentioned, the “fitting” is primarily going to be the part on the grip safety that contacts the trigger, allowing it to fire when the grip safety is squeezed. It’s a simple job with a file, and the part you’re filing is hidden completely inside the frame so you don’t have to worry about refinishing or anything like that.
Old 04-16-2018, 4:00 PM

Ultimately I like some of the modern styling and dislike others. I don’t like FCS but do like beaver tail, skeletonized hammer and flush mainspring housing. Much like the colt above in this thread. I would just get a rock island which checks all those boxes and doesn’t have any markings at all (a plus in my book) but greatly prefer the forged frame of the springer.

Last edited by TacticalChihuahua; 04-16-2018 at 4:09 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 4:09 PM

A "drop in" grip safety for the Mil Spec will have an unsightly gap in order to clear the tangs. I installed one, and decided that I didn't like the looks. So, I installed a Smith and Alexander grip safety that requires modification of the tangs.
It looks much better than the "drop in" safety.
Old 04-16-2018, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ultimately I like some of the modern styling and dislike others. I donít like FCS but do like beaver tail, skeletonized hammer and flush mainspring housing. Much like the colt above in this thread. I would just get a rock island which checks all those boxes and doesnít have any markings at all (a plus in my book) but would prefer the forged frame of the springer.
If thatís the case, Iíd replace beavertail, hammer, MSH, thumb safety, and ignition kit all at the same time. Theyíll all have to fit together one way or another, so I always do them all at once. Youíre getting in to semi custom territory here, again you may want to speak with a competent smith
Old 04-16-2018, 4:32 PM
Veteran Member

My "Drop In" grip safety from Wilson took a bunch of filing to fit to the grip frame, and a little to fit it to the trigger stirrup.
I installed it about five years ago, maybe they are easier nowadays.
Not half bad looking for an aftermarket safety without altering the frame.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 04-16-2018, 5:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
My "Drop In" grip safety from Wilson took a bunch of filing to fit to the grip frame, and a little to fit it to the trigger stirrup.
I installed it about five years ago, maybe they are easier nowadays.
Not half bad looking for an aftermarket safety without altering the frame.
That looks very good. I think partly because the tangs are nice and rounded at the tips.

Springfield mil spec has the ugliest most unevenly cut and pointy tips. If the grip safety fits without a mod to frame, it leaves a big unsightly gap.

It is amazing that with all the after market nic nacks made for a 1911, no one has made a grip safety to be used with a spur hammer.
Old 04-16-2018, 7:30 PM

Drop in and 1911 are an oxymoron
Old 04-16-2018, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Lookin for a beaver tail high ride grip safety that is drop in ready for the Springfield m1911a1 milspec. Does this exist?

Googling around it sounds like they all leave a gap and require smithing...
OP, check out Smith and Alexander. They sell the grip safeties made for Springfield (.220 radius) frame.

Of course, you still have to check if it will exactly fit to your particular Springfield.

Good Luck.
Old 04-16-2018, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
OP, check out Smith and Alexander. They sell the grip safeties made for Springfield (.220 radius) frame.

Of course, you still have to check if it will exactly fit to your particular Springfield.

Good Luck.
The Milspec does not have a .220 radius... you would have to buy the jig and fork the range to the .220 radius.
Old 04-17-2018, 9:57 AM

Nice thread, I also have almost the same question
Old 04-17-2018, 11:59 AM

The Springfield 1911 requires a .220 radius grip safety and .220 radius jig to be properly fitted. There's not enough metal in the tangs to use the more common .250 radius grip safety.
Here's my Springfield MilSpec with a Smith and Alexander .220 radius grip safety installed. Still a work in progress. I hope to finish it in a week or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180417_125435.jpg (95.2 KB, 11 views)