Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by small hole shooter View Post
I have a Big Cat 1200 springer. With the PBA ammo it gets close to the 1200 fps, with the Cometa Xtra 10.4 grain domed its around 950 fps I would guess.
The max distance inside is 12.6 yards, which is where I set up my home-made back-stop. I have also used Beemans coated HP at about 7.2 grains.
Don't know how that stacks up to your 65+ M-Rod.
about 20 ft-lbs on your air rifle if it's a rough calculation.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have an old Crosman 357, a Daisy AutoAir, a Crosman 1077, and a Umarex Steel Storm. All pretty awesome airguns for plinking in the house. I use broken down cardboard boxes taped together to form about 6" of backstop and use printed targets - Plenty for CO2. I just added a new style Crosman 357 and I like it alot better, but I am glad I have the old one. Accuracy seems just as good with the new one (after about 5 shots it is one hole). Pigeons over my second story windows are fish in a barrel for this gun and it is quiet with no overpenetration. Crosman Wadcutters or Destroyers FTW.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM

FOR THOSE GUYS PLINKING IN THE BACKYARD You make me jealous. Now i want to move to the country !!!! Grrrr!
Lol!

But I want to be near the beach, Hollywood, American/Brazillian,Chinese/Filipino/Italian/Japanese/Korean/Mexican/etc. food./ Best Buy/Frys Electronics/Model Airplane Hobby shops/ Scuba tank refill station. Lol !!!

Last edited by bigsipper; 05-20-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-20-2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I have an old Crosman 357, a Daisy AutoAir, a Crosman 1077, and a Umarex Steel Storm. All pretty awesome airguns for plinking in the house. I use broken down cardboard boxes taped together to form about 6" of backstop and use printed targets - Plenty for CO2. I just added a new style Crosman 357 and I like it alot better, but I am glad I have the old one. Accuracy seems just as good with the new one (after about 5 shots it is one hole). Pigeons over my second story windows are fish in a barrel for this gun and it is quiet with no overpenetration. Crosman Wadcutters or Destroyers FTW.
I got the Crosman 357 and the Steel Storm too! How do you like your Steel Storm? I love mine, it's probably the most bad *** BB gun I own. I'm waiting for the new Umarex Steel Force now, it's the gun in my profile pic. It has that AR15 look and has the same dual co2, single shot and six shot burst that the Steel Storm does and gets about 550 FPS at the muzzle. It should be coming soon, the one in the pic I got to shoot when I was in Arkansas last month, competing in the American Airgunner TV show that will start airing July 3rd. The Steel Force was so fun to shoot, I wish I could've brought it back with me.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco45 View Post
I got the Crosman 357 and the Steel Storm too! How do you like your Steel Storm? I love mine, it's probably the most bad *** BB gun I own. I'm waiting for the new Umarex Steel Force now, it's the gun in my profile pic. It has that AR15 look and has the same dual co2, single shot and six shot burst that the Steel Storm does and gets about 550 FPS at the muzzle. It should be coming soon, the one in the pic I got to shoot when I was in Arkansas last month, competing in the American Airgunner TV show that will start airing July 3rd. The Steel Force was so fun to shoot, I wish I could've brought it back with me.
Thanks for bringing up that BB rifle( Steel Force)Now i want it. You are bad influence ! Jk. You make me want that BB rifle. I have my future last PCP rifle in my sights that I will be buying. It the Airforce Condor in .22 and hopefully the addiction will end. I was eyeing for the 500cc Sumatra and im glad i stumbled a web page with pictures of its internals( not ideal ). It looks good on the outside but some of it are welded like the transfer port between the 2 tanks and the pressure gauge. So I wish its Christmas already so I can justify buying it. Have a good day guys.

WTB. Ben Disco .22 but out of stock everywhere!

Ben Marauder .25
Crosman Pumpmaster .177

.22 LR; .223; 9mm; .40; .45; .38; .357; 12G; 20G (All in Hibernation until people stop hoarding powder burner ammos)

Last edited by bigsipper; 05-25-2013 at 9:50 AM..
Old 05-22-2013, 8:28 PM

the addiction is hard to stop lol... I'm looking at guns myself right now, but that's because I have a gift card from Pyramyd Air and one from Umarex that should come around July.. On my list is the Steel Force, the Hatsan Striker 1000s in .22 and I'm not sure what else I should get, maybe ammo, another CO2 pistol or a .22 pump pistol from Crosman.. If it wasn't for the giftcards though, I probably wouldn't get anything right now because I have quite a few airguns already in my collection..

Here's a link to pre-order the Steel Force
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Umarex...O2_BB_Gun/3105
Old 05-22-2013, 8:39 PM

Just wanted to share one of my little sweet shooting airgun I have..though it's modified..I like how it shoots and is useful indoors and outdoors.

Webley Xocet in .22 with special muzzle brake, shimmed cocking arm so it doesn't rattle...a 630 fps measured rifle that is very nice to shoot. Current config is with the centerpoint dot sight for faster snap shooting.

Old 05-22-2013, 8:47 PM

Another Cheap PCP to consider is a Chinese made B50 that is kinda somewhat patterned after an old Daystate Huntsman...I think they fall into the $250 or less price range. I just saw a web page for $210 shipped! Actually I will call them tomorrow.
http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/XISICO_XS-B50.html

video of how it shoots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fI...Z31uw&index=68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmmS...Z31uw&index=67
Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 PM

Nice rifles right there Varmintgetter
Old 05-23-2013, 3:09 PM

thanks...it's not too impressive.
Old 05-23-2013, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Just bought a pink Crosman 760 Pumpmaster for $28 off of Amazon. Should be here any day. Never tried one, but for $28, let's see what it can do. Plan to get tacticool as fffk and paint the pink FDE.

Need to do some crow control from my back yard. Gophers too if the opportunity ever arises.....

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

"I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My Dad bought my brother the 760 Pumpmaster ages ago, when we were kids. We had a lot of fun with it and my 766 at the cottage! Many tin cans were shredded at our hands! My 766 eventually became a piece of crap because I use to load like 5-10 BBs in the chamber at the same time to make it a "BB shot gun".
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's a review of tha B50 that someone did

http://www.airgunweb.com/2007/09/xis...-scope-part-1/

One thing he notes is that "This rifle is very loud!"

When I was looking for an air rifle, I was googling "very quiet air rifle" and the Marauder came up!

I've not even shot mine yet! I did find a piece of 1 1/4" vinyl tubing to make a depinger though.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM

I have a old Anschutz pellet rifle my father gave to me and it needs service. Anyone know anywhere in San Diego that can service it?

Last edited by Jayruta; 05-24-2013 at 7:08 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Just saw that bb guns are illegal to shoot in city limits in my town. So is a slingshot. ........welcome to the country formerly known as the land of the free.
Old 05-24-2013, 6:55 PM

@BigPimping, there's a few spots like that in CA now. In SF and Davis there's actually a ban on airguns and airsoft smh...
Old 05-25-2013, 8:48 PM

Default I am a Believer !

Range Report May 24 2013
Ben Marauder .25 at 30 yards. Bench rest. 2800-2000 psi 16 shots. The smaller holes are from the Benjamin Trail NP All Weather which I returned already. To my Marauder bro's, I Believed that the gun and the pellet (Benjamin dome) are attracted to the bulls eye. In replacement to the Trail NP will be the Ben Discovery in .22 . This way when the steel scuba tank 3442 PSI drops to 2000, I can start using discovery and still have approx 31 refills from 1800 psi to 1000 psi(about 930 shots if I get 30 shots per fill). With this method the air in the steel scuba tank will be used to the last drop or breath of air.

Last edited by bigsipper; 05-25-2013 at 8:53 PM..
Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Nice shootin BigSipper! I took my Colt 1911 Special Combat .177 CO2 pistol out today to my backyard and shot a target at about 15 feet away using single action and bench rest. The gun hit really accurate and after 100 steel BB's the entire bulls eye area was gone! I got 100 rounds off for less than a buck, can't beat that!
Old 05-26-2013, 5:09 AM

Loco45, 100 shots for a $1 wow! I wish i could shoot in my backyard. Did u include the cost of the co2 cartridge? How loud is the pistol maybe i can do it in my garage
Old 05-26-2013, 6:45 AM

Yeah, the CO2 is about 50 cents and 2400 BB's is just under 5 bucks, so if my bad math is correct, 100 BBs is worth about 20 cents, so yeah the total amount spent with the CO2 is 70 cents, 30 cents under a buck!
The Colt Special Combat has a medium loud pop when fired, it's perfect for in door shooting. The break in time sucks though because during that time the double action trigger is really heavy, but after oiling the trigger, dry firing without the CO2 in it for a couple minutes it starts getting better, and it gets fully broken in after about 2000 rounds. I mostly use the single action though, if you like double action better, the Colt Defender is probably a better choice and this gun is also ideal for indoor shooting and is about half the price. The Colt Defender is also full metal except for the plastic grips, it's a compact 1911 model, but it doesn't have a functional hammer, slide and no adjustable rear sights because they are all molded in to the metal. The Special Combat has all 3 things that the Defender doesn't have, it's 99 bucks and you get about 20-30 less shots per co2 and doesn't hit as hard as the Defender either. They're both rated at 410 FPS, but I've seen videos where they chronograph both guns and the Defender gets between 410-440 FPS on a fresh cartridge and the Special Combat got 390-410 FPS, averaging at 400 FPS. The accuracy in the Defender is really good for a smooth bore and once the Special Combat has been sighted in and broken in fully, the accuracy gets about just as good too. They're both great plinkers and if you like 1911's, but don't wanna spend all that money on .45 ACP ammo all the time, this will ease the itch from the trigger finger and are definitely a good purchase. Right now I'm looking at the Umarex XBG, it's 30 bucks, hits at 410 FPS and gets about 200 shots per CO2! It's all plastic which is the only drawback, but other than that it looks really good, kinda has that Springdield XD look and I heard the velocity stays consistent until the last mag or 2 mag which is pretty good too!

My first review of the Colt Special Combat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfofedhkCU&sns=em
My follow up review of the Special Combat and a peek at the Defender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfR6CxENEo&sns=em

Paul Capello's review for the Special Combat (the video that got me to buy the gun): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5OHdDRxb0&sns=em
Paul Capello's review for the Colt Defender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxVKpHBQtk&sns=em

Last edited by Loco45; 05-26-2013 at 7:45 PM..
Old 05-27-2013, 7:18 AM

Talking

Quote:
Yeah, the CO2 is about 50 cents and 2400 BB's is just under 5 bucks, so if my bad math is correct, 100 BBs is worth about 20 cents, so yeah the total amount spent with the CO2 is 70 cents, 30 cents under a buck!
The Colt Special Combat has a medium loud pop when fired, it's perfect for in door shooting. The break in time sucks though because during that time the double action trigger is really heavy, but after oiling the trigger, dry firing without the CO2 in it for a couple minutes it starts getting better, and it gets fully broken in after about 2000 rounds. I mostly use the single action though, if you like double action better, the Colt Defender is probably a better choice and this gun is also ideal for indoor shooting and is about half the price. The Colt Defender is also full metal except for the plastic grips, it's a compact 1911 model, but it doesn't have a functional hammer, slide and no adjustable rear sights because they are all molded in to the metal. The Special Combat has all 3 things that the Defender doesn't have, it's 99 bucks and you get about 20-30 less shots per co2 and doesn't hit as hard as the Defender either. They're both rated at 410 FPS, but I've seen videos where they chronograph both guns and the Defender gets between 410-440 FPS on a fresh cartridge and the Special Combat got 390-410 FPS, averaging at 400 FPS. The accuracy in the Defender is really good for a smooth bore and once the Special Combat has been sighted in and broken in fully, the accuracy gets about just as good too. They're both great plinkers and if you like 1911's, but don't wanna spend all that money on .45 ACP ammo all the time, this will ease the itch from the trigger finger and are definitely a good purchase. Right now I'm looking at the Umarex XBG, it's 30 bucks, hits at 410 FPS and gets about 200 shots per CO2! It's all plastic which is the only drawback, but other than that it looks really good, kinda has that Springdield XD look and I heard the velocity stays consistent until the last mag or 2 mag which is pretty good too!

My first review of the Colt Special Combat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEfofedhkCU&sns=em
My follow up review of the Special Combat and a peek at the Defender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwfR6CxENEo&sns=em

Paul Capello's review for the Special Combat (the video that got me to buy the gun): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5OHdDRxb0&sns=em
Paul Capello's review for the Colt Defender: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxxVKpHBQtk&sns=em
It would be nice for the same price if they made it a rifled barrel plus an ejecting spent shells. Oops I'm asking too much for the price range but I dont want to pay $200-300 for a co2 pistol when you can buy rimfire pistol for that price(but you cant find 22LR ammunition to feed it-- downside.

Last edited by bigsipper; 05-27-2013 at 7:24 AM..
Old 05-27-2013, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsonny View Post
You should really try jsb exacts. I found them more accurate, make sure you wash them before use.
Wash them????

with there be sorting and lubing the pellets in this process?
Old 05-27-2013, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsipper View Post
It would be nice for the same price if they made it a rifled barrel plus an ejecting spent shells. Oops I'm asking too much for the price range but I dont want to pay $200-300 for a co2 pistol when you can buy rimfire pistol for that price(but you cant find 22LR ammunition to feed it-- downside.
Yeah that's the same way I feel, my most expensive CO2 pistol is the Colt Special Combat, I would never pay more than 100 bucks on a co2 gun because then I rather just get a .22 LR pistol. I mostly got that Colt because how nice it looks and well built it is. But you're right and I'm with ya 100% on that, and you're right about that there's hardly any 22 ammo available right now too, that's what makes airguns so much more convenient for target shooting and plinking too. The co2 shooting really has helped my accuracy when it comes to shooting firearms too, I was at the range and got to shoot this guys Glock 19 and I put 5 shots through 2 holes bordering into each other on the target. I didn't even notice first, but the guy who owned the Glock started saying out loud, "you're stackin' em dude" and when I brought the target back the target, yupp I surely was stackin em

Last edited by Loco45; 05-27-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Old 05-27-2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsonny View Post
I don't sort or lube. I just dump the whole tin into a container, warm water, some dish soap. Swish it around a few times, drain, rinse, repeat. Gets the small bits of lead off the edges and makes them less dusty.
won't they oxidize? I haven't notice much of dusts personally...for hunting, it seems to be an extra step as the pellets will probably be exposed to dust.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 PM

I was at Walmart today and saw the Umarex XBG and after winning a little extra money at Red Hawk Casino yesterday, I couldn't help myself, after all the gun is only 30 bucks after tax and I've seen multiple good reviews on YouTube too. It's all made of pretty good quality plastic (polymer), it's compact, gets about 200 bb's per co2 cartridge which equals out to about 50 cents/CO2 and 40 Cents/200 BB's, so it's less thana dollar to shoot 200 rounds. I haven't tried it out yet, but I've seen a video where a guy gets that many shots and it's only the last clip or 2 that the power drop is noticeable. I hope it's got some ok accuracy too, I'll find that out tomorrow though, so I'll keep ya posted. So far I like the look, feel and price and I've been thinking about getting it for a few months, I'll report back tomorrow

EDIT: I just got back from the range and this little CO2 pistol gets 230 shots / CO2 and it holds it's velocity to about 210 shots, the last mag you notice it loses it's velocity significantly. The price to shoot 230 rounds (steel BB's) is 48 cents and the CO2 is about 50 cents (19.99 for a 40 pack)! This gun is now probably one of my top CO2 pistols I own and one of the top I've fired and THE BEST when it comes to price
Attached Images
File Type: jpg umarex XBG.jpg (91.9 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by Loco45; 05-28-2013 at 4:43 PM..
Old 05-28-2013, 2:29 PM

Are the full auto BB guns legal here in CA

Old 05-28-2013, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell663 View Post
Are the full auto BB guns legal here in CA
As of right now, yes, no laws banning them yet! I brought my Steel Storm which is one of the full auto's, to the range today and 2 of the guys there shooting 9's and .223's were kinda impressed by it, they asked where they could get one too and how much they cost. So to those interested, the Steel Storm is 80 bucks on Amazon, they are charged with 2 12gram CO2's and get 300 shots per fill! It's definitely worth getting, or wait another month and get the Umarex Steel Force, that gun is even better!
Old 05-28-2013, 5:37 PM

Here's a picture of my NIB Daisy 853 that I picked up from the CMP South Store in March for $150. I did trigger job which eliminated creep and allowed me to adjust the trigger pull down to 1 lbs, and while I was at it I dyed the stock with some Chestnut Ridge dye, G&H and several coats of BLO. My rifle is amazingly accurate and for the price it's one of my best investments from the CMP.

Pic of adjustment screws
Old 05-28-2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
I was at Walmart today and saw the Umarex XBG and after winning a little extra money at Red Hawk Casino yesterday, I couldn't help myself, after all the gun is only 30 bucks after tax and I've seen multiple good reviews on YouTube too. It's all made of pretty good quality plastic (polymer), it's compact, gets about 200 bb's per co2 cartridge which equals out to about 50 cents/CO2 and 40 Cents/200 BB's, so it's less thana dollar to shoot 200 rounds. I haven't tried it out yet, but I've seen a video where a guy gets that many shots and it's only the last clip or 2 that the power drop is noticeable. I hope it's got some ok accuracy too, I'll find that out tomorrow though, so I'll keep ya posted. So far I like the look, feel and price and I've been thinking about getting it for a few months, I'll report back tomorrow

EDIT: I just got back from the range and this little CO2 pistol gets 230 shots / CO2 and it holds it's velocity to about 210 shots, the last mag you notice it loses it's velocity significantly. The price to shoot 230 rounds (steel BB's) is 48 cents and the CO2 is about 50 cents (19.99 for a 40 pack)! This gun is now probably one of my top CO2 pistols I own and one of the top I've fired and THE BEST when it comes to price
Loco45 thanks for the range report. I was at California pizza kitchen when I read your update on the UBG. You almost made me run to the Walmart 1 mile away from CPK but I held my horses lol. I will wait for longevity report. I love the 200+ rounds per fills
Old 05-28-2013, 10:43 PM

haha! I hear ya BigSipper! There's a few good videos on youtube with the Umarex XBG..

WomBatBull's XBG Table Top Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OtZiPQlCT0

Mak Hobby - Shooting 220 rounds with the XBG in one CO2 (I got 10 more than him lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sm2Mc3dp-o

Mak Hobby - XBG Power Test

And there's a few more good ones I watched and good reviews at Pyramyd Air, Amazon and Airgun Depot that I read before finally deciding to get it..
Old 05-30-2013, 9:36 PM

Loco45 does the steel force get 200 shots like what pyramid says ? Will it have an external adapter like the steel storm?
Old 05-31-2013, 9:06 AM

It actually gets 300 rounds per co2, just like my steel storm. The last 60 shots you will notice the drop in velocity though and the 6 shot burst will turn fully automatic towards those last 2 mags and you may have to re-cock it, but it will shoot 300 rounds. I'm not sure if there will be a bulk fill adapter to this one yet, I know there is one for the Steel Storm though
Old 05-31-2013, 9:30 AM

Quote:
It actually gets 300 rounds per co2, just like my steel storm. The last 60 shots you will notice the drop in velocity though and the 6 shot burst will turn fully automatic towards those last 2 mags and you may have to re-cock it, but it will shoot 300 rounds. I'm not sure if there will be a bulk fill adapter to this one yet, I know there is one for the Steel Storm though
I ordered one yesterday.email notification received yesterday.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 AM

NICE! Let me know when you get it and how you like it!
Old 05-31-2013, 9:32 PM

Quote:
NICE! Let me know when you get it and how you like it!
My predicament is that I cant shoot it in my backyard. I love to shoot aluminum soda cans also. At the shooting range its only paper. I wonder if its doable in my 2 car garage space.
Old 06-01-2013, 6:51 AM

It depends. How's your neighbors? If they're cool, you should be able to shoot it in the back. I don't know if I would shoot it in the garage, maybe that would work, just watch out for strays and make a good pellet/bb trap and you'll be alright
Old 06-01-2013, 7:36 AM

Neighbors.
Old 06-01-2013, 8:34 AM

looks to me you would be good shooting it in the back, I use to shoot my Steel Storm in the back until my neighbors complained too much because they're scared of strays. I tried to let em know it's not very high powered and it's a BB gun, but they still scared of a stray hitting them or their grandchildren, so I only shoot it at the range now. But if you don't have neighbors like that, you should be good (unless there's a penal code against it in your city)

Last edited by Loco45; 06-01-2013 at 8:38 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 8:55 AM

That is a good 50 yard range! My coworker's husband was playing with a whip(Indiana Jones style) in their backyard which the whiplash sounded like a 22 rimfire going off. She stopped her husband from doing it. In a few minutes Santa Clarita PD was patrolling down their street.
Old 06-01-2013, 9:01 AM

Wow, so the whip sound made the neighbors call the cops? The Steel Force is at it's loudest on the first 30 shots, but it's still quieter than a .22