Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-26-2015, 3:02 PM

Default Yugo M48 and Turkish 8mm ammo.

Edited: Ammo is actually Turkish, not Egyptian, as I originally claimed.

So I bought a Yugo M48 Mauser clone today, and some Egyptian Turkish Mauser ammo to go along with it. I inspected the rifle carefully, but was unable to perform my usual chamber cycle. So I took a chance and upon getting home discovered that the M48 has some difficulty feeding cartridges; on more than one occasion the bolt completely failed to push a cartridge and instead whacked the neck, and in general it was quite difficult to feed most of the rounds. Is this just a general M48 issue, a loading error, or do I need to detail clean this gun down to every last screw to ensure complete reliability?

As for the ammo itself, I already do not trust it and I haven't even fired it yet. I cycle cartridges through all my guns to test function and just a preliminary cycling has seen every round get quite scratched. That's not the worst part; one of the cases split at the neck from JUST cycling it through the gun(again, have not yet fired a single round of this stuff) and the bullet is now quite loose in the case. It now resides in the trash can. This particular batch of Turkish 8mm Mauser ammo is dated 1943 production and in brass cases. Has anyone else had problems with split necks in these rounds, and are they safe to shoot at all? I'd hate to blow myself up at the range.

Last edited by CodenameOne; 07-26-2015 at 5:07 PM.. Reason: Error correction. Ammo was actually Turkish
Old 07-26-2015, 3:30 PM

I have a bit of it and so far it shoots fine. I have probably shot 350 rounds and had 3 or 4 hang fires so don't open your bolt right away if you hear a click, give it 30 seconds or so. I don't have an M48 but have been using it in a K98, 24/47 and my friends Hakim. I have even reloaded a batch of 40 or so of the cases 2 times now and no split necks yet. You must have some binding during feeding or something.

I found a pic of the head stamp on mine.

Old 07-26-2015, 3:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've never had an issue with my M48 but, I purchased it in unissued condition about 10 or 12 years ago. I've seen various surplus ammo with split necks prior to firing and never had a problem with it shooting alright.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-26-2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
I have a bit of it and so far it shoots fine. I have probably shot 350 rounds and had 3 or 4 hang fires so don't open your bolt right away if you hear a click, give it 30 seconds or so. I don't have an M48 but have been using it in a K98, 24/47 and my friends Hakim. I have even reloaded a batch of 40 or so of the cases 2 times now and no split necks yet. You must have some binding during feeding or something.

Hmm, my headstamp looks quite different.

SAM_0395.jpg
Old 07-26-2015, 4:59 PM

The bottom one is Turkish.
Old 07-26-2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrstuff View Post
The bottom one is Turkish.
OK, I was mistaken then. Thought it was Egyptian ammo. A little research shows that Turkish Mauser ammo is really hot, but not dangerous or crappy. Still, that split neck really worries me.
Old 07-26-2015, 5:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Check your feed ramp, magazine spring, anything that would casue the tip of the bullet to not engage with the feed ramp cleanly. Mine had too short of an ejector, wouldn't release the empty case from the bolt claw.

Old 07-26-2015, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Check your feed ramp, magazine spring, anything that would casue the tip of the bullet to not engage with the feed ramp cleanly. Mine had too short of an ejector, wouldn't release the empty case from the bolt claw.
I too had an ejector issue, but managed to fix it. The ejector blade itself had been mounted incorrectly when the gun was assembled, and completely inoperative. I actually had to remove the ejector box completely and put it into correct place. I'll check my magazine and such tonight and tomorrow, when I detail clean the gun.
Old 07-26-2015, 6:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've seen others, as well as, shot a lot of the Turkish stuff myself. I still have a good supply of it since, it was only $5-$7 per bandoleer when I was buying it at gun shows. I would have been smarter to order crates of it back then but, I didn't. I wouldn't worry about the split necks at all. It's just surplus ammo and will still shot as well as other cheap surplus ammo.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 07-26-2015, 8:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have shot a bunch of Turkish 8mm. The war time '40s dated stuff is OK. I only had one or two hang fires like shooting a muzzle loader. Its hot. The pre-war '38 dated stuff has been very good. No cracked necks (better cases?) And very good two piece clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlesnake_nm View Post
10/4 . Ranger pm'd me. I will chill on replying to insults with my own insults. Thanks for the heads up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
In addition to all of the above, please note that it is illegal for you to offer an "Assault Weapon" for sale while you are in California, even if the weapon is restricted to sale out of the state.
Old 07-26-2015, 8:41 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I have bought and shot a lot of Turkish 8mm surplus. It is definitely stoutly loaded. I have bought some loose lots and found a few loose bullets and cracked necks. When I find it still in the bandoliers, the ammo usually looks perfect. The only issue I have had is some occasional sticky bolt with the Turk ammo. Since it replicates in different Mausers, my amateur guess is the pressure of the round.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post

FWIW, you are holding this round upside down. It is stamped in Arabic the word 'Mesr' (Arabic for Egypt) and '57'. I am not fluent in Arabic but I know the alphabet and a fair amount of Persian (which uses essentially the same alphabet).
Old 07-30-2015, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinnerk View Post
FWIW, you are holding this round upside down. It is stamped in Arabic the word 'Mesr' (Arabic for Egypt) and '57'. I am not fluent in Arabic but I know the alphabet and a fair amount of Persian (which uses essentially the same alphabet).
Sorry, it was just a pic I found on line real quick to make sure the op and I were comparing apples to apples.