Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Default Bino question

So awhile back I got a deal on a Vortex Diamondback binocular 10 x 42. But I think Vortex later came out with a HD version. Does anyone know or have an opinion regarding the differences between the two? Is the HD a major upgrade from the earlier model?
Old 02-04-2021, 1:02 PM

I'm trying to figure out whether keeping the Vortex binos as a backup makes sense or whether I just need to get rid of them. Just purchased a Leupold.
Old 02-04-2021, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
So awhile back I got a deal on a Vortex Diamondback binocular 10 x 42. But I think Vortex later came out with a HD version. Does anyone know or have an opinion regarding the differences between the two? Is the HD a major upgrade from the earlier model?
if nobody knows, call doug at camerlandny.com and he can give you advice since he can actually look through all the high dollar stuff.
Old 02-04-2021, 1:11 PM

Thanks LBC!
Old 02-04-2021, 4:15 PM

I shifted from an older pair Leupold binoculars to a pair of Zeiss HD binoculars and the difference was huge. Much more clarity and contrast. Your best bet would be to look through several pair under different light conditions and decide if the extra clarity is worth the investment.
Old 02-04-2021, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

It's a marketing deal, sell those and step up to the next level or two.

Quote:
Resolution
The most important aspect of a binocular is how well it lets you see, right? So we tested that. With a standard optical resolution chart as the target, we placed an 8x42 Diamondback and a new 8x42 HD Diamondback side by side on a heavy-duty tripod, supported by a stone floor. Then we compared how much detail we could see with each binocular.

The result was not ambiguous, and it was not close. The new HD showed a significantly sharper image, with better brightness, contrast, and resolution. We saw more and better with the new version.

The field of view is unchanged from the earlier version, 393 feet at 1000 yards. The close focus is still 7 feet. In short, the new HD Diamondback is the same binocular, except better.
Old 02-04-2021, 7:53 PM

I’ve been upgrading glass to the point where I’m now at Swarovski. The percentage of improvement you get in glass steadily decreases the more you spend.

I would avoid all “Made in China” optics out of principal.
Old 02-21-2021, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Get a set of Leica binos and forget about everything else.
Old 02-21-2021, 8:04 PM

Seen a lot of bino threads and rarely ever do i see someone recommend an image stabilized binos. Ok if its a range finder bino then sure, but regular binos for hunting and other applications, why not recommend OIS? I have looked through OIS binos and it is sooo steady i would refuse a regular binos now.
Old 02-21-2021, 8:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I can't afford Leica or Swarovski, so I went with Steiner.
Very happy.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 02-21-2021, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I’ve used them side by side in the field. Not really noticeable. With those binos I can spot bobcats at a mile with a steady rest. They do great for the money.
Old 02-22-2021, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

Why no one just publishes photos taken through bios of standard optical targets? USAF 1951 tells plenty about resolution and contrast.
Old 02-22-2021, 7:15 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buymoreguns View Post
Seen a lot of bino threads and rarely ever do i see someone recommend an image stabilized binos. Ok if its a range finder bino then sure, but regular binos for hunting and other applications, why not recommend OIS? I have looked through OIS binos and it is sooo steady i would refuse a regular binos now.
Because they are heavy and don't really help while sitting still and glassing.
Now on the water big difference
Old 02-22-2021, 8:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Jumping from $200 binos to $600 dollar ones will give you a significant improvement. Jumping the next level to $1000 ones will be less pronounced.

In my opinion, there is a big difference between the $200 to the $600 pair and I would recommend it.
Old 02-22-2021, 8:09 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

This past weekend I was in Santa Cruz and able to make out individual trees (they were big tbh) in Pacific Grove. According to google it's 25 miles across the open water. I was using Zeiss Conquests 8x42.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessdude View Post
Run up the jolly Roger and tell them this is war.
Old 02-22-2021, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

The older I get the more I appreciate better glass.
Old 02-22-2021, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^ Same here and would have been money ahead if I had not bought all the cheaper ones over the years
Old 02-22-2021, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
^^^ Same here and would have been money ahead if I had not bought all the cheaper ones over the years
Yep. I bought a Leupold binocular from n the 600 dollar range and haven't found the reason for a more expensive model.

Of course, I didn't pay 600 for it.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 02-22-2021, 8:56 PM

I had the same question a year ago so I called Vortex. The guy on the phone said there wouldn’t be a noticeable difference and to go with the best deal.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:14 AM

I just purchased the vortex diamondback 12x50hd on sale very clear glass couldn’t see the difference from the $1000 steiner 10x56hd.