Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Default Tesla powerwall as a backup energy source?

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

It is an expensive option. Has anyone installed one of these to use in conjunction with their existing solar panels?
Old 10-27-2017, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Says I need 3 @ $17,200 for my needs. That's a lot of fuel for my existing generator. But I like the idea of solar charging during day and using at night when you're home rather than selling solar to elec co in day and buying back at night.
Old 10-27-2017, 2:22 PM
Veteran Member

Consider the source. I wouldn’t buy lemonade from Elon Musk.
Old 10-27-2017, 2:56 PM

Look into Outback systems or Aquion batteries
Guys who are not military/swat who have a full gear setup with $2000 cqb setup AR and including plate carrier with morale patches and shemagh staged in Ft. Living room as if the Commanding General of JSOC is gonna call them in the middle of the night
Old 10-27-2017, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

It is an expensive option. Has anyone installed one of these to use in conjunction with their existing solar panels?

I have one being installed in December, socal Edison gives a rebate if you let them dump your battery to the grid one day a week. I guess if a lot of people do this they would have a large reserve of power. With the rebate it will cost me about $3500 total.

Former: Knight of Front Sight &
Gold Star Member
Old 10-27-2017, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So my buddy put one of these fuel cells on his boat.

http://hydrovane.com/hydromax-150-fuel-cell/

1. 600 amp/hr lithium battery bank.

2. 320 watts solar panels for most days.

3. Fuel cell, floats the batteries at night and when it is hot, for the twin 12v Norcold refrigerators.

So the fuel cell only goes on when the batteries drop below X, user setting, brings it up to max and shuts off.

Quiet as a mouse.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 10-27-2017, 3:54 PM
Probably PUI
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Gunner View Post
Consider the source. I wouldn’t buy lemonade from Elon Musk.
why not, you already paid for a few tons of his lemons

I love how he gets to sell luxury vehicles for $100k+ when half of the production is subsidized by taxpayers like me that cant even afford half of a car from him. If youre marketing products towards people that can blow 100k on a car, there shouldn't be government subsidies involved. let the affluent pay for their own toys.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-27-2017, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda440 View Post
why not, you already paid for a few tons of his lemons

I love how he gets to sell luxury vehicles for $100k+ when half of the production is subsidized by taxpayers like me that cant even afford half of a car from him. If youre marketing products towards people that can blow 100k on a car, there shouldn't be government subsidies involved. let the affluent pay for their own toys.

That’s his scam. Let rich people buy luxury electric cars subsidized by everyone else so they can feel good about themselves. The inconvenient truth is because of the toxic battery production it takes 100,000 miles for the carbon foot print of a Tesla to get down to a ULEV. But then you need a new battery and it starts all over. The sooner this snake oil salesman goes broke, the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 11:44 AM

You can make a tesla wall for a whole lot less. Lots of offgrid homesteaders are doing it. I guess they buy old battery packs from tesla cars and use the cells that are still good.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
I have one being installed in December, socal Edison gives a rebate if you let them dump your battery to the grid one day a week. I guess if a lot of people do this they would have a large reserve of power. With the rebate it will cost me about $3500 total.

Not to bad final pricing. How many square feet is your house and how many lights or appliances do you think you can run with it?
Old 10-30-2017, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

I already have solar, put in 13 yrs ago on a 2004 home, 2200 sf. They said it will run my whole house, except for car charging based upon my past electric bills. Note, I never use my a/c, just my swamp cooler, so they may have underestimated a bit. Just about all my lights are CFL, or LED, gas hot water and stove, and my wife usually hangs the clothes up to dry.

Gold Star Member
Old 10-30-2017, 2:45 PM

The dIY powerwalls are interesting...I've been thinking of adding one in the future to help with my peak demand...I'm on demand pricing here with my solar system... (bulk of cost comes from your average 30 minute peak usage)

I was thinking it could charge during non demand times then during sunset when the panels are producing almost nothing it could kick in to help lower my peak demand.
Old 10-30-2017, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

TODU shifting is part of its future selling point. Charge at night, feed it back during the day. When I talked with the salesman, it's not available yet, but supposed to be an over the air update next year.

Gold Star Member
Old 11-24-2017, 5:54 AM

Hello
We use Outback, SMA, Solar Edge & Magnum inverters with battery, Magnum being my favorite. You can use any battery solution and not be locked into the Power Wall hype.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Off Grid
Old 11-24-2017, 6:41 AM

Quote:
So are you happy with it ??
Old 11-24-2017, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
You can make a tesla wall for a whole lot less. Lots of offgrid homesteaders are doing it. I guess they buy old battery packs from tesla cars and use the cells that are still good.

Great idea if you have the time to find to source , check batteries and then dispose the reject.

Edit. Its using discard or rejected laptop batteries. Watch a few YouTube videos.
Not worth my time or health

Last edited by Lebaneseblonde; 11-24-2017 at 7:51 AM..
Old 11-24-2017, 6:53 AM

Quote:
I already have solar, put in 13 yrs ago on a 2004 home, 2200 sf. They said it will run my whole house, except for car charging based upon my past electric bills. Note, I never use my a/c, just my swamp cooler, so they may have underestimated a bit. Just about all my lights are CFL, or LED, gas hot water and stove, and my wife usually hangs the clothes up to dry.
I am 1500sq. CFL/led lights. Gas stove hot water -gas condensing, gas dryer.
Its the stupid tv that suck up my power. That and the sauna.

I am looking at a powerwall. Question is. When the power/grid is off and the battery is draining. Are they still back filling the battery?

What is the stated batt life by Tesla? ( yes. Yes. They lie)

I have a few more questions but I think I will direct them to you in pm
Old 11-24-2017, 7:37 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Elon Musk catches a lot of crap around here and mostly for good reason, but I have to applaud the advancements in battery tech and this kind of thing is going to make off grid solar a real option in the not too distant future. It's an option now, but lead acid batteries suck eggs.
Old 11-27-2017, 8:18 AM

Bump for lcu1670