Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-12-2017, 6:37 PM
Not a mod or lawyer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Alright, so it just dawned on me; but IS it legal to block your mags?

I donít recall that ďaltering the magazineĒ was listed as one of the options in the legislation... with how screwed up this state is, I wouldnít put it past them to only give you certain options to follow the law...

Does that make any sense?

Are blocked mags even still legal? I thought there was a law that banned magazines that started life as standard cap & were blocked to 10 rounds...
It was not listed as an option, because those are options you can do if you possess a large capacity magazine. If you blocked it, then you no longer have a large capacity magazine, and thus don't need to do any of the listed options.
Old 09-12-2017, 6:38 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

In other words, those are things you must do if you possess a magazine that accepts more than 10 rounds. You don't need to do any of them if your magazines don't accept more than 10 rounds anymore. If that makes sense.
Old 09-12-2017, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Alright, so it just dawned on me; but IS it legal to block your mags?

I donít recall that ďaltering the magazineĒ was listed as one of the options in the legislation... with how screwed up this state is, I wouldnít put it past them to only give you certain options to follow the law...

Does that make any sense?

Are blocked mags even still legal? I thought there was a law that banned magazines that started life as standard cap & were blocked to 10 rounds...
The withdrawn HCM regulations that never were resubmitted finally had some explanatory language about how exactly how "permanent" modification to a 30 round magazine to make it 10 was supposed to go down. "Permanent", which is the wording in the law, is a totally ambiguous term. Some argued that all you had to do was to put in a block and it was done. Others said rivet closed, others said epoxy.

The nixed regulations said rivet and epoxy, but the language was so bad it contradicted itself and made no sense. It gives you an idea though as to what they would have considered permanent. Now it's back to just not knowing and guessing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Old 09-12-2017, 7:16 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

For me (and this is just my personal interpretation), if a magazine can't take an 11th round with modifying it, then it's permanently not a LCM. But as Disco said, it's not officially defined anywhere so everyone has different interpretations. imo, if the legislators wanted them to be pinned and welded, they'd have written "pinned and welded" in their law.
Old 09-12-2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
The withdrawn HCM regulations that never were resubmitted finally had some explanatory language about how exactly how "permanent" modification to a 30 round magazine to make it 10 was supposed to go down. "Permanent", which is the wording in the law, is a totally ambiguous term. Some argued that all you had to do was to put in a block and it was done. Others said rivet closed, others said epoxy.

The nixed regulations said rivet and epoxy, but the language was so bad it contradicted itself and made no sense. It gives you an idea though as to what they would have considered permanent. Now it's back to just not knowing and guessing.

If I remember correctly, for any drum mag, they wanted you to epoxy 10 rounds into it, permanently. With no guarantee that it would actually work.
Old 09-14-2017, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
For me (and this is just my personal interpretation), if a magazine can't take an 11th round with modifying it, then it's permanently not a LCM. But as Disco said, it's not officially defined anywhere so everyone has different interpretations. imo, if the legislators wanted them to be pinned and welded, they'd have written "pinned and welded" in their law.

So then technically since the new law(s) donít list altering the magazines as an option, you cannot block them and must only completely dispossess yourself of them....right?

Iím honestly not trying to be pedantic, just trying to think like an asshat AKA a CA state legislator.
Old 09-14-2017, 1:55 PM

Quote:
So then technically since the new law(s) donít list altering the magazines as an option, you cannot block them and must only completely dispossess yourself of them....right?

Iím honestly not trying to be pedantic, just trying to think like an asshat AKA a CA state legislator.
Would assume destroying is destroying the large capacityness of a magazine.
Old 09-14-2017, 2:13 PM
Not a mod or lawyer

Quote:
So then technically since the new law(s) don’t list altering the magazines as an option, you cannot block them and must only completely dispossess yourself of them....right?

I’m honestly not trying to be pedantic, just trying to think like an asshat AKA a CA state legislator.
You're only looking at this law, which says what people have to do if they own a LCM:

CA PC 32310(d) Any person who may not lawfully possess a large-capacity magazine commencing July 1, 2017 shall, prior to July 1, 2017:
(1) Remove the large-capacity magazine from the state;
(2) Sell the large-capacity magazine to a licensed firearms dealer; or
(3) Surrender the large-capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction.

But you're perhaps forgetting this other law, which says that it is not an LCM:

PC 16740 As used in this part ("part" being PC 16000-34370), “large-capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include (...) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

So, since 16740 says that it's not an LCM, we need not pay any attention to what 32310(d) says.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 09-14-2017 at 3:06 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
It is illegal in California to darken or re-tint a passenger or driver's side window beyond the standard tint applied by the manufacturer.

If you get a ticket for it you must either strip the tint off or replace the windows.
Not anymore...no more fixer tickets....you can keep your tint....works like the cell phone law now.....second ticket will double, then triple etc until you no longer can afford to pay...but technically you dont have to remove it.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sounds like the BMW silicon valley crowd got their get out of jail free card. Those guys make so much money it could be considered the cost of remaining anonomous.