Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Btw, SDFire, I have been yelled at at PWG for picking up my brass (which ultimately resulted in me refusing to give them MY brass and LEAVING). This was quite a while ago but that particular individual still treats me with the same blatant disrespect he did that day every time I interact with him.
One of the RSOs? Willing to name drop? I have been a member there for over a year and never had any trouble picking up my brass. Kinda bummed because I think Stephanie left, havnt seen her in a while, but everyone there has always been polite and professional (to me).
Old 06-13-2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Interestingly enough, last weekend the wife and I were down in the neighborhood of DAS (we never seem to go that way) and I figure maybe it's time I finally stop and check it out. Google it to look up the address and it kept pointing to the location where SDFTC is/was located. Then I saw on their website that they were moving. Is that where they are going?

Btw, SDFire, I have been yelled at at PWG for picking up my brass (which ultimately resulted in me refusing to give them MY brass and LEAVING). This was quite a while ago but that particular individual still treats me with the same blatant disrespect he did that day every time I interact with him. I go there enough that many of the staff members know me by name, know what I'm shooting, etc. I know misunderstandings happen, but once I explained that I was only picking up my brass that I had fired, it should have ended there. Instead, he chose to posture up and take me to the principles office. That particular encounter almost made me never return, it was completely out of line. Unfortunately I am weak and I spend a lot of time on their 100 yard range purely out of convenience.
Last time I was at PWG I picked up my fired brass, and the brass from the guy next to me as well. As he was getting ready to leave, i saw him head for the broom to push it away, I politely asked him if i could have his brass, he agreed and i cleaned up all of it. I have never been chewed out for picking up brass, i hope it stays that way.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanrock View Post
One of the RSOs? Willing to name drop? I have been a member there for over a year and never had any trouble picking up my brass. Kinda bummed because I think Stephanie left, havnt seen her in a while, but everyone there has always been polite and professional (to me).
I'll send you a PM. It was an isolated incident and I still continue to pick up my brass when I shoot there. But it does happen. He was basically trying to say that I was scrounging up brass that wasn't mine even though I was the only shooter in the area and I had shown him 3 empty MTM reload boxes (150 rds) and I had MAYBE 50 or 60 picked up all of the same caliber. I had picked up 1/3 of the brass that I shot and was being accused of "stealing" brass. I never even left my lane to pick it up and plenty of my brass did fall into the surrounding empty lanes. Again, not indicative of a policy against picking up brass, just a guy who had a bone to pick with me for whatever reason.

The problem I have is not that he misunderstood what was going on, it's that even after I explained it to him he continued to harass me about it and tried to bully me into throwing all of MY brass into the bucket under the threat of "we won't make you leave". As if I had done something wrong and now needed to pay 60 pieces of brass in order to not have my trip ruined. So I said thanks but I'll keep my brass and leave.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

“I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.” - Clint Eastwood

Last edited by Meety Peety; 06-13-2017 at 10:44 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 9:55 AM

Sounds like you were "infringing" on someones own reloading biz at PWG.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Nuggets View Post
Wonder where DAS is headed to?
DAS is heading to a building in Sorrento Valley area off Mira Mesa Blvd.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanrock View Post

Never had an issue at PWG. The front desk clerks roll over frequently but the RO are usually the same peeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 10:04 PM

Sad....Great range with awesome staff. My wife learned to shoot there. Glad to gear the DAS guys will find a good home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 7:24 AM

Yes, my wife also has done all lessons at this range. I really hope to find where the instructors have landed as my wife is particular who she is comfortable working with.
Old 08-04-2017, 3:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

All, I wanted to drop a quick note, as I just stumbled across this thread and make a couple of comments. As the founder of PWG, I never want to see another range go out of business. PWG and SDFTC had some business conflicts that were unfortunate, but in the end, it hurts the industry image when we lose a range.

With that said, PWG wants to help the members of SDFTC get their money's worth that they paid into our industry. We have been honoring any SDFTC membership on our 25-yard range through the expiration date of their membership. You just need to show us proof of membership. This will expire in July of 2018. We have tried to get the word out but our emails and voicemails trying to get in touch with the management at SDFTC to send out a notice to their entire membership were not returned. So, we are left with trying to pass the word organically.

Also, as for brass.... our policy is you can police your own brass. We collect the brass and recycle which allows us to use the funds for range maintenance, which is a significant cost. The RSO's should not be militant about the brass policy and we will reinforce training on that. It's your brass if you want it.

Thank you all for the opportunity.

Poway Weapons & Gear Range
13550 Danielson St
Poway CA 92064
Tel (858) 206 5057
Fax (866) 768-9011
www.weaponsandgearrange.com
Shop Hours : 7 days a week, 10-10

"No free man shall ever be debarred of the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-04-2017, 6:58 PM

They wouldn't let me renew mine.....ended up shooting for free for a few months.

Very nice gesture PWG. Need to get off my butt and make the transition over to your range.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thank you PWG, as my membership over there went until 01/03/2018 I'll be there soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsandgear View Post
All, I wanted to drop a quick note, as I just stumbled across this thread and make a couple of comments. As the founder of PWG, I never want to see another range go out of business. PWG and SDFTC had some business conflicts that were unfortunate, but in the end, it hurts the industry image when we lose a range.

With that said, PWG wants to help the members of SDFTC get their money's worth that they paid into our industry. We have been honoring any SDFTC membership on our 25-yard range through the expiration date of their membership. You just need to show us proof of membership. This will expire in July of 2018. We have tried to get the word out but our emails and voicemails trying to get in touch with the management at SDFTC to send out a notice to their entire membership were not returned. So, we are left with trying to pass the word organically.

Also, as for brass.... our policy is you can police your own brass. We collect the brass and recycle which allows us to use the funds for range maintenance, which is a significant cost. The RSO's should not be militant about the brass policy and we will reinforce training on that. It's your brass if you want it.

Thank you all for the opportunity.

Wow!

What an outstanding offer/gesture.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
...PWG wants to help the members of SDFTC get their money's worth that they paid into our industry. We have been honoring any SDFTC membership on our 25-yard range through the expiration date of their membership. You just need to show us proof of membership. This will expire in July of 2018.
Thank you very much. Really appreciate what you've done here.
Old 08-18-2017, 2:47 AM

Wow. Really appreciate that offer form Poway W&G!!!
Old 08-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It's extremely sad that SDFTC closed its doors. Reluctantly - I went to the Weapons and Gear range today. Unfortunately, the experience there is still as poor as it's always been:
1) For some unknown reason - they have a person assigned to check that your firearm is cleared before you enter the range - idiotic and unnecessary. Security experts coined that to be "security theater".
2) Spent an hour in the 50 yard range. During that time not a single RSO graced us with their presence. I guess it's more important being outside looking all tacticool!
3) In the hour that I spent at the range, 5 different people saw fit to operate, teach, play and do whatever with their firearms from the loading bench while sweeping everyone on the firing line. This is a practice that is strictly forbidden at any safe range.

Quite frankly - Poway Weapon and Gear is an unsafe facility - it's a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by Satex; 08-20-2017 at 4:19 PM..
Old 08-20-2017, 2:03 PM

+1

went to PWG twice and had the same experience. I'll go back when there's only a few people there.

I was spoiled at SDFTC with their level of safety. Going to another range is hard.
Old 08-20-2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
It's extremely sad that SDFTC closed it's doors. Reluctantly - I went to the Weapons and Gear range today. Unfortunately, the experience there is still as poor as it's always been:
1) For some unknown reason - they have a person assigned to check that your firearm is cleared before you enter the range - idiotic and unnecessary. Security experts coined that to be "security theater".
2) Spent an hour in the 50 yard range. During that time not a single RSO graced us with their presence. I guess it's more important being outside looking all tacticool!
3) In the hour that I spent at the range, 5 different people saw fit to operate, teach, play and do whatever with their firearms from the loading bench while sweeping everyone on the firing line. This is a practice that is strictly forbidden at any safe range.

Quite frankly - Poway Weapon and Gear is an unsafe facility - it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Agreed
Their customer service has been horrible since they were in a strip mall. Hasn't really improved now that they have a fancy range. Shame really as their range is nice, too bad it's staffed by tacticool idiots.

I hate my life.
Old 08-20-2017, 4:50 PM

I haven't been to PW&G range since I witnessed a group of shooters in the bay next to me taking selfies/snap chatting with their weapons, fingers on the trigger, sweeping their rentals.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:43 AM

I've seen that pic taking & posing, etc, in every range I've been to. Now I've just learned to adapt & go during oddball times. I went during lunch time on Saturday, no drama & wasn't crowded at all. Went on Sunday after 4pm, was all good. Poway W&G is open 10-10 everyday. Just pick a time, or call ahead, get your own feel for what type of crowd u don't mind being around. Poway Weapons & Gear has my support. As always, to each his own.
Old 08-21-2017, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Nuggets View Post
I haven't been to PW&G range since I witnessed a group of shooters in the bay next to me taking selfies/snap chatting with their weapons, fingers on the trigger, sweeping their rentals.
Honestly, that's every single indoor range in SD/SD county, especially at night time, Friday's, weekends, etc. The RSO's are PW&G are really nice and do care about safety, you should've mentioned something and they would've addressed it right away. That definitely doesn't excuse the lack of firearm safety that a lot of people show at public ranges, but they're public ranges.
Old 08-25-2017, 8:32 AM

Anyone taken PW&G up on their offer to honor SDF memberships?

Last edited by Onefatgerman; 08-25-2017 at 9:50 AM.. Reason: Fix typo
Old 08-25-2017, 10:38 AM

I did last week. So far, so good.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:35 AM

I heard thru the grape vine that PWG will be renting the San Diego Firearms building.
Old 08-30-2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLs1a View Post
I heard thru the grape vine that PWG will be renting the San Diego Firearms building.
I hope they (or someone) do. While I appreciate the offer of PWG and I went and tried them this week in the heat, I found their lack of climate control a tad uncomfortable. I will try again later when it's not so hot.
Old 08-30-2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uLs1a View Post
I hope they (or someone) do. While I appreciate the offer of PWG and I went and tried them this week in the heat, I found their lack of climate control a tad uncomfortable. I will try again later when it's not so hot.