Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 6:11 PM

Thank you.. I've noticed on the Google maps that there are 2 bonnetti roads. One is right off of Mormon Emigrant trail and the other is an extension of caps crossing road. The length of caps crossing seems to be the place since its much longer and fits what people are saying when talking about driving 2 miles in. Comments Please??
Old 06-29-2014, 6:14 PM

Default Sly Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbanner View Post
Thank you.. I've noticed on the Google maps that there are 2 bonnetti roads. One is right off of Mormon Emigrant trail and the other is an extension of caps crossing road. The length of caps crossing seems to be the place since its much longer and fits what people are saying when talking about driving 2 miles in. Comments Please??

Mormon E. Trail is the one to use, that side of Bonetti rd has most of these shooting areas although there are definitely more in the back country.
Old 07-01-2014, 8:52 AM

There are 2 Bonetti roads. The one you want starts out as Capps Crossing and turns into Bonetti.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7272...4sYz6--V_Q!2e0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kays View Post
I was up there today..and my GPS says the first road is Bonetti RD, and the second road is Capps Crossing...I went down Bonetti Rd and it dead ends into a parking lot..about 200-300 yards down the road..Wed we did a clean up on what I believe is Capps Crossing?
Old 07-01-2014, 9:00 AM

Disregard if this doesn't help but this is the main route through Sly Park to get to the shooting spots:

Sly Park rd, left onto Mormon E. trail over two dams

Right onto Bonetti (2nd right, just past another turnoff which has a nature sign/structure thing of M.E.T)
Old 07-01-2014, 9:27 AM

Google maps does not show that creek running under bonetti rd that close to Morman Emigrant trl. I'm posting photo of what I belive much of the confusion is from. There are two bonettie roads. I found yesterday that it was the second one. Somebody even marked the intersection with red spraypaint. It will probably wear off soon. There were also some cult logos posted on the trees near the enterance. I tore it down and put the forest fire warning sign back up.
Old 07-01-2014, 2:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt View Post
Couple of us are planning to shoot tomorrow morning. Leaving Rancho Cordova area around 9am
Had a blast with this guy and his buddies, thanks again for the invite. Oh and once again congrats on the birth of your son!!
Old 07-05-2014, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone going up today?
You did ask. They were only following your instructions. Next time be a bit more careful in how you phrase your posts. If you give people a straight line like that, this is about the level of response you are bound to get. Just be glad you didn't post "Date this rifle"... Those pictures are usually very disturbing.

-Mb
Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I went up today for a few hours with my wife and younger brother. Just finished building him a budget AR that he saved up for over the years..total came out to $529. I zeroed it in for him at 50 yards getting a 1" group while kneeling in shorts resting the gun on a stump.. not bad imo.

Complete S&W M4 magpul upper 16" 1:9 w/o BCG - $245 shipped ARF
PSA BCG - $80
PTAC/Magpul lower build kit - $125
80% lower - $50
Magpul flip up rear sight - $29 CG

Problem with camera...only taking B/W pics at the moment.

Anyone else forget the safety and flinch lol? I have. Attempted to use the camera to aim the Aimpoint.
A road comes around the backside of that spot, be careful with rifles. Its only 40-50 yards. Most shoot clays there. Much better spots 5 mins away.
Old 07-14-2014, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Did you staple your targets to the trees? If so I hope a ranger catches you.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 07-14-2014, 8:00 PM

Default Sly Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Did you staple your targets to the trees? If so I hope a ranger catches you.

I had 3 steel targets, one on a dead stump, one in the dead tree on the left that's fallen over, and the farthest one on another dead tree with a notch that had been shot out overtime. I just started shooting here this year and I take advantage of what's there rather than add to the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusson View Post
A road comes around the backside of that spot, be careful with rifles. Its only 40-50 yards. Most shoot clays there. Much better spots 5 mins away.

Thanks for the tip. Someone else in this thread mentioned that and we do keep our eyes and ears open for anyone coming up the road on the right.

Last edited by ffemt; 07-14-2014 at 9:40 PM..
Old 08-19-2014, 5:42 PM
CGN Contributor

Was up last weekend on the way home from camping. Stopped at the ranger station just past Pollock pines on saturday and picked up two maps Of the area. One north Of the 50 one south Of the 50. These are news paper type black and white maps but show every single road and trail In the area. Cost ? Free. We bought a couple Of books also.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-05-2015, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I went up today for a few hours with my wife and younger brother.
Shooting into the base of trees with no backstop and a road behind it????

Come on, man....
Old 02-05-2015, 7:52 AM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

Tag
Old 02-05-2015, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyduderino View Post
Shooting into the base of trees with no backstop and a road behind it????

Come on, man....
Just seen this, SMH! Very unsafe lack of concern on where the bullets are landing.

Last edited by mobbology; 02-05-2015 at 9:04 AM..
Old 02-06-2015, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbology View Post
Just seen this, SMH! Very unsafe lack of concern on where the bullets are landing.
He removed the video. Hopefully it was a learning lesson that won't be repeated.
Old 02-07-2015, 5:27 PM
CGN Contributor

We stayed at sly park lake camp ground so we would have a whole day of target shooting up mormon emigrant trail. Camping is off season right now so like half price $15 or $20 a night $3 a night for a dog but no water. We over paid by $5 thinking our spot was a higher price spot and the ranger returned the over paid $5 in the morning. Thought that was an honest move on the parks part. Our regular shooting spot was amazingly very clean this trip one soda bottle one water bottle so others are cleaning up also. Someone down one of the side roads posted a sign to stop shooting the trees most of the big pines had been shot many times and looked pretty bad. Plenty of space to shoot without shooting live trees. Good color maps of this area at Sportsman warehouse that covers both north and south of highway 50 and has every single road and trail with road marker numbers and colored to show who owns the property. Worth the $12 in my opinion. To wet to go this weekend but were going back next weekend. Be careful out there everyone and double check your shooting direction and have fun.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin15w View Post

And lastly, a pic of this still living tree about to fall in the first shooting spot at the hairpin curve. The middle is just about shot out. I hate stupid shooters.

I went yesterday, yup in the storm. And this tree finally fell. I am not sure when
Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 PM
CGN Contributor

Like in the Bonetti road thread . These area's are going to get shut down . Even some of the trail markers at the smaller spot we shoot at are shot off . And people ask why forest and camping fees keep going up.
Old 02-25-2015, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin15w View Post
And lastly, a pic of this still living tree about to fall in the first shooting spot at the hairpin curve. The middle is just about shot out. I hate stupid shooters.

This is the one spot on Bonetti that has the biggest chance of being closed to shooting.
Stonebreaker creek is just to the right of that tree and all the trash and lead end up in the creek.
Plenty of other places along the road so I would avoid this one.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDWUN View Post
This is the one spot on Bonetti that has the biggest chance of being closed to shooting.
Stonebreaker creek is just to the right of that tree and all the trash and lead end up in the creek.
as mentioned in my comment above, the tree has now fallen. More likely from the past storm and it fell on the road. My last visit, it has been cut up to clear the road, but the trunk still occupies the site.
Old 02-27-2015, 1:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Tagged
Old 02-27-2015, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDWUN View Post
That particular spot SHOULD be closed. There is no excuse for polluting an active stream. Now, if people would use their heads and not allow their trash into it and not shoot into it, it would be fine. But that just won't happen.

I don't like It anyway. It is always wet, shady and cold in tho fall/winter and very open to passing traffic. I don't know about you, but I like a little privacy when I am plinking. Cletus and Jim Bob don't need to see all my hardware when driving through.

Last edited by j15w; 02-27-2015 at 7:10 AM..
Old 03-03-2015, 8:22 AM

here is a better picture from last saturday showing the creek right behind the tree.

The Forest service was there at the time as well.

Old 03-07-2015, 5:49 PM

Wife and i went there today for the first time, was a lot of fun but felt kinda ****ty at how much crap was out there. A lady was there cleaning up with a crew and a truck who handed me a trash bag win i asked the ranger where i can shoot being new and all. later that day i filled the damn thing up easily. My wife and i love it up here. hope to help clean up.
Old 03-11-2015, 8:43 PM

Always pack out my trash and whatever I can fit of other peoples trash in a couple extra bags when I shoot there.
Old 03-17-2015, 7:11 PM

Thought I would post up a follow up here

I was on Bonetti last sunday and met 3 of the 5 LEOs that work in the Eldorado National Forest. All of them seemed very nice and respectful to me.
I specificly asked them what are the most common issues they have with people shooting on Bonetti road that they can be cited for.

Shooting into live trees
Shooting trash
Unsafe backstop

Very reasonable officers, and easy going as long as we do what is right.
Old 03-31-2015, 8:47 PM

Lots of trash out there. I try to clean up when I go out there to shoot. But there's some ridiculous stuff out there at times. I saw a TV, couch, and a bunch of junk that shouldn't be out there.

We need to be respectful of shooting live trees. There's a bunch of trees that have been shot A LOT.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 04-02-2015, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post
Lots of trash out there. I try to clean up when I go out there to shoot. But there's some ridiculous stuff out there at times. I saw a TV, couch, and a bunch of junk that shouldn't be out there.

We need to be respectful of shooting live trees. There's a bunch of trees that have been shot A LOT.
When did you go, there was a recent clean up in the past month
Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbology View Post
When did you go, there was a recent clean up in the past month
I was just there two weeks ago. But the stuff I mentioned are some things I've seen during different trips out there.

Last trip, there were a ton of plastic bottles, shotgun shells, and live trees with LOTS of bulletholes. Oh yes, and a BB gun with a bunch of full little CO2 canisters some smart guy thought it'd be fun to shoot. He missed

I cleaned the place up but wasn't happy about it.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 04-03-2015, 9:47 PM
CGN Contributor

That part of the El Dorado national Forest is a large area. Many areas besides bonitti road have trash and trees shot up. Just clean up what you can and try and leave it a little cleaner. Best we can do.

Old 04-04-2015, 9:40 PM

Its been a crankster dumping site since ive been going in the early 90's. It doesnt help that idiots bring trash to shoot at as well. Please pack out your trash at any FS land.
Old 05-02-2015, 7:40 AM

Are you guys concerned with the possibility of ricochet and steel targets?
Old 05-02-2015, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactorider View Post

Pistol rounds are jacketed lead. The pretty much splatter when they hit steel. Watch some high speed cameras in slow mo. There is usually a radius of lead splatter right around the base of the steel in the dirt.

Steel core ammo can ricochet much easier, but people also don't shoot it close to targets because it damages them badly.

If you do dent your steel targets up with steel core, don't shoot them at closer ranges with pistol ammo. The splattering will ricochet badly from riding in the dents and being redirected.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactorider View Post
Just concerned with fires, be careful and bring a shovel/extinguisher.
Old 07-11-2015, 5:40 AM

Took the wife and went shooting at the spot behind sly park lake off bonetti road early yesterday morning. The wife broke in her new Mossy 930 SPX semi with bells and whistles and shot very well. I broke in a new G27 to use CCW in a stealth gear AIWB holster. And ofcourse we both shot our AR's on steel. Had a great time. It wan mildly sprinkling and cool temps. But the main reason I am writing is I was very pleased to see that this location was clean for a change. No t.v.'s, couchs, junk. Just a few husks that we cleaned up after we finished and cleaned up our own stuff. We live on Sly Park road and I would hate to see this place get closed so it was nice to see it being cared for..
Old 08-20-2015, 1:06 PM

I'd like to contribute to this thread after scouting out the shooting locations. While there is trash out there, it didn't look nearly as bad as I've seen it in some of the photos posted during the cleanups. I drove several miles in on Bonetti Road and found the majority of the spots. The somewhat hidden ones were the cleanest. I'll report back after I go up there on Saturday with a group of shooters.
Old 08-22-2015, 9:16 AM

I'm going up to bonetti rd in a few min maybe I'll see some cgers

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 PM

I'd like to say a big thanks to Plink and any Calguns members who participated in the cleanup. I was up there shooting on Saturday with my girlfriend and her father when the crew stopped at our location. I remember the names Jim and David, but there were also two others whose name I did not catch. Everyone was very polite and determined to clean up as much as they could. Between them and my group we had the major pieces of trash removed in about 10 min.

To everyone who visits the Bonetti Road location - please pick up more trash than you created, and stop using live trees as target hangers!
Old 08-24-2015, 1:57 PM

I second that but I'm fairly sure that we are speaking to the those of respect for the places they shoot at. My wife and I didn't get to meet anyone but we did bring back about 65 pounds of shotgun hulls I found 30 live 20 guage shells and 1 bag of clays, brass, old targets, 10 broken target stands and bunch crap that people thought was fun to shoot at. We also put out the fire they left burning in the damn small rock circle that wasn't cleared or properly made. I wish I had taken photos of the area it was nice other than what I already mentioned we where about 2.5 miles down the road my wife doesn't shoot much but she was doing great with my old as dirt 22 at 30 or so yards she was keeping the spread of a dime or the small circle stickers from my shoot n see targets.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Last edited by curtru; 08-24-2015 at 1:59 PM..
Old 08-24-2015, 8:18 PM
CGN Contributor

Leaving a fire burning as dry as it is up there ? I hope that was not done by a member from Calguns. 65lbs is a lot of trash. Well done for catching that fire and the trash. You can leave the trash you pickup at the local ranger station bin. Thanks for looking out for all of us and keeping our shooting area open and safe.