Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Winter shooting at BLM Sly Park

I'm there at least once a month but never in the winter time. My usual spot is Morman Immigrant Trail. Is there any road restrictions? I do have a 4x4 Tahoe on Duratracs so vehicle is not an issue.
Old 12-07-2013, 6:50 AM

Getting past the locked gate in a truck makes it problematic.....when it's locked.
Old 12-07-2013, 8:16 AM

Wintertime and Mormon Immigrant isn't about making it out, it's about making it back.

Don't Listen to me, I had bad grades in high school....
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74c5 View Post
Getting past the locked gate in a truck makes it problematic.....when it's locked.
When do they close the roads?
Old 12-07-2013, 12:59 PM

I've never seen it closed when I've gone. My huge Bronco has no problems getting there and back...until I let my buddy borrow it and he killed the rear end. Ugh! People piss me off! Now I have to bum rides from friends to go shooting up there.

Once we couldn't make it in with a small Toyota. So we parked and hiked 6 miles each way in the snow. Like grandpas stories from Europe in WWII. Lol sucked good. My buddy fell on his moneymaker three times. Each time was funnier than the last too!

But yeah, it's a good place to shoot up there. I went up with a couple buddies last Sunday and it was dang near full. We got lucky. A guy was leaving as we pulled up. Good times.
Old 12-07-2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Dmedic View Post
I've never seen it closed when I've gone. My huge Bronco has no problems getting there and back...until I let my buddy borrow it and he killed the rear end. Ugh! People piss me off! Now I have to bum rides from friends to go shooting up there.

Once we couldn't make it in with a small Toyota. So we parked and hiked 6 miles each way in the snow. Like grandpas stories from Europe in WWII. Lol sucked good. My buddy fell on his moneymaker three times. Each time was funnier than the last too!

But yeah, it's a good place to shoot up there. I went up with a couple buddies last Sunday and it was dang near full. We got lucky. A guy was leaving as we pulled up. Good times.
thats really good to hear. I enter through capps crossing and I don't ever think i seen a gate there. Maybe after leaving the Jenkinson Lake area. I don't know. When I do go, I get there pretty early before they place sounds like a war zone.

Thank you 18medic
Old 12-07-2013, 2:44 PM

Quote:
When do they close the roads?
I've never checked the Sly Park end but, the 88 end has a gate that gets locked. I assume the lower end does too.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 PM

The gate is at the 88 side of Morman Immigrant and its closed for the season. There isn't one on the lake side. The road isn't county maintained past the lake so its never plowed unless a private contractor does it like a logging company. You'll find several other gates across private and some forest service roads along Morman Immigrant. The main paved roads like north-south are always open. Winter restrictions are just that you keep your vehicle on actual roads and not go "off trail". Shooting regulations are the same as they are during the summer.
Old 12-09-2013, 2:02 PM

is that long but small paved road with all of the shooting areas open during the winter? You make a right off Morman Immigrant. In the summer you can see where the letters BON(Bonetti) are on the pavement. I go there all the time, but hardly in the winter when there is snow up there..

Last edited by jmpeal; 12-09-2013 at 2:04 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 8:11 PM

Yes,it's a right hand turn on the road that's about 100 feet past the fire warning level sign and safety information station. Careful, its treacherous in the winter
Old 12-09-2013, 9:55 PM

Default Directions for the BLM Sly Park???

Hi, I'm from Cameron Park, and I've been looking for a place to shoot... Could you give me directions on how to get to the shooting spot? I know where sly park is and Jenkinson Lake is but not sure as to where we could legally shoot. Please give me directions.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-13-2013, 6:37 PM
Release the Cabinets!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Its been a while since ive been out that area, but I used to prefer going off icehouse road. Smud plows daily to loon lake, so if you mess up royaly, someone will be by.
Old 12-15-2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phen Phen View Post
Yes,it's a right hand turn on the road that's about 100 feet past the fire warning level sign and safety information station. Careful, its treacherous in the winter
Was there today. It's white and soupy. If the weather holds it will just be muddy. Pulled two Rice Rocket four wheelers out of, well, their own tracks really. If you are going to go up take it slow and easy and make sure you go with another four wheeler.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:12 PM

I didn't know there was BLM land off of MIT, It was my understanding that it was mostly USFS and private forest lands.

The snow seems to be sticking on the north faces and shaded areas, but likely getting slushy and muddy now. Outsloped roads are where you can quickly get into trouble if you're not careful. I would always recommend tire chains (not cables) for your 4x4. The Park Creek gate was locked on Wednesday.
Please dont use "the woods" as a backstop, you never know who might be back there, also be respectful and dont use trees as targets/target stands. Be safe, have fun
Old 12-21-2013, 1:26 PM

Does anyone know if that right turn on that small, but long paved road past the Fire safety and info wooden sign is clear from snow off Mormon Immigrant?

Was maybe thinking of going up there tomorrow and instead of taking my truck, taking a buddies car. He has been around 60 degrees up there most of week.

Last edited by jmpeal; 12-21-2013 at 2:49 PM..
Old 12-22-2013, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpeal View Post
Does anyone know if that right turn on that small, but long paved road past the Fire safety and info wooden sign is clear from snow off Mormon Immigrant?

Was maybe thinking of going up there tomorrow and instead of taking my truck, taking a buddies car. He has been around 60 degrees up there most of week.
That's the road I was referring to on my post from the 15th. Take your truck. You still need to get off the pavement to shoot. Even if the snows gone it will be extremely muddy.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47Lover View Post
Hi, I'm from Cameron Park, and I've been looking for a place to shoot... Could you give me directions on how to get to the shooting spot? I know where sly park is and Jenkinson Lake is but not sure as to where we could legally shoot. Please give me directions.

Thanks!!!
Just Google "Bonetti Rd", it'll come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thashane View Post
Please dont use "the woods" as a backstop, you never know who might be back there, also be respectful and dont use trees as targets/target stands. Be safe, have fun
I was up there NYE and it pissed me off the amount of people up there who had their targets stapled to trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syds Grandpa View Post
That's the road I was referring to on my post from the 15th. Take your truck. You still need to get off the pavement to shoot. Even if the snows gone it will be extremely muddy.
I was up there New Years Eve. Had no problem driving my car in since there has been little snow this year.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 01-02-2014 at 12:21 AM..
Old 01-03-2014, 2:09 AM

I was just up there this last week, theres snow on the ground when you get to the far side of the lake. Part of the steepest slope on that road is covered in slush, we saw about a thrid go for it and 2/3rds turn back. We shot parallel to the road along the side of a bridge over a creek.
Old 01-03-2014, 2:11 AM

18Dmedic - did you see a red CR-V?
Old 01-03-2014, 5:57 AM

Oh, so right past that creek with the bridge, where the road goes straight up had the slush on it still?

We usually try and go past there and take one of the dirt/lumber/forestry trails.

I have a new Saiga to try out this weekend...
Old 01-05-2014, 3:36 AM

I'd like to head out there and break in my rifle sometime.
Old 01-26-2014, 6:46 PM

Went up today with 12 friends. We were all shocked at the amount of garbage laying around. If you go up here, please pick up your crap. At this rate it won't belong before the forest service cuts us off. We hauled a couple pick up trucks loads of crap out of where we were. Come on people. No Trace.
Old 01-26-2014, 7:36 PM

Trash and damage to resources (trees, signs, gates, etc) are just ammo for the enviros and antis to put pressure on the forest service to shut down access to anything but day hiking. Same as when the off-road community drives around gates to go mudd'n and causes tens of thousands of dollars in road damage.
Thanks Syds for picking up the slack and carrying the burden of the irresponsible.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2014, 11:08 AM

I live a couple miles form Mormon Emigrant Trail, and it make me livid seeing all the junk people leave laying around. Pack your trash! There's a lesser known place up near Pacific House as well, but the last time I went there there were busted toilets, tv's, computers, and all sorts of crap. Someone had put up a sign there a while back telling people to clean their mess, but the last time I saw it it was knocked over and full of holes.

Aren't people the best?

“You can only fight the way you practice.” - Miyamoto Musashi
Old 02-10-2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimack View Post
I live a couple miles form Mormon Emigrant Trail, and it make me livid seeing all the junk people leave laying around. Pack your trash! There's a lesser known place up near Pacific House as well, but the last time I went there there were busted toilets, tv's, computers, and all sorts of crap. Someone had put up a sign there a while back telling people to clean their mess, but the last time I saw it it was knocked over and full of holes.

Aren't people the best?
Somebody dumped some mattress up where we were. Unbelievable. Anybody know what the condition are up there now. I've been punching paper at Sac Valley for the last couple weeks, I need to shoot something else. Thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM

probably muddy but I would like to know too.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

was there before the rain/snow it was slusshy but we made it out alive.
Old 02-15-2014, 3:52 PM

Anyone been up there lately? Thinking about going up on Monday 2/17.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986travis View Post
Anyone been up there lately? Thinking about going up on Monday 2/17.
I just went up yesterday (2/15) with some friends. It was a blast. The dirt was still damp from the rain, so the dust was almost non-existent and we stayed pretty clean.

It was a little crowded, however. There were quite a few others there blasting away for hours, but it was a great time nonetheless.
Old 02-16-2014, 2:33 PM

if anyone wants to put a cleanup together, and I'm available, i have a pickup.
Old 02-17-2014, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thashane View Post
if anyone wants to put a cleanup together, and I'm available, i have a pickup.
That's a great idea. I'm in. We could get a bunch together and go blast for a while and then do some clean up.

Who else?
Old 02-20-2014, 4:26 PM

P.L.I.N.K has a cleanup this Saturday 2-20. This will be my first with them, so I cannot give more information than what's provided on the links below.

I would still be willing to get together for a smaller cleanup/focussed shooting adventure in the future as well.

http://www.edrgc.com/calendar-online.htm
http://www.edrgc.com/plink.htm
Old 02-21-2014, 8:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Plink sounds like a good cause. Every time I go up there, I fill up several trash bags full of people's bs! Went up last weekend and couldn't take a step without stepping on a pile of shotgun hulls, as well as finding over a handful of unfired rounds...22lr, 9mm, and a ton of steel cased 7.62x39....thanks a lot... It's pretty sad.

Old 02-22-2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaRdog View Post
Plink sounds like a good cause. Every time I go up there, I fill up several trash bags full of people's bs! Went up last weekend and couldn't take a step without stepping on a pile of shotgun hulls, as well as finding over a handful of unfired rounds...22lr, 9mm, and a ton of steel cased 7.62x39....thanks a lot... It's pretty sad.

I was up there last week end at a new spot. Found a bunch of bullet riddled, computers and TV sets. This is not cool at all. I think we need to reach out to the U.S. Forestry Service guys and post some signs. "leave it Cleaner then You Found It" type thing. This is disgusting.
Old 02-25-2014, 5:39 AM

I am down to help out. I have a truck too to assist.
Old 03-12-2014, 3:09 AM

Wow just came back to visit the thread I created and sad to hear how our forest is being disrespected. I usually visit a spot that is only accessible by 4x4. I do not shoot off the paved road cuz of the observations of dumb asses that think they know what they are doing. They riddle the place with appliances that think its cool to shoot and leave it behind. A few times I have advise others, "please do not mount your targets on the trees and leave the place cleaner than you arrived" but I get the "whatever" looks rather than a thank you. So I rather not share the place to new shooters who asked me "can you tell me where to shoot at the BLM." We have a good thing here and it saddens me that the land is being disrespected.

For any one that read this thread here is common sense etiquette if you know how to get to this place:

-Please do not mount your targets on live or even dead standing trees
-Clean up your mess and then some. Even your spent casings. For gods sake, bring some garbage bags with you along with rake and dust pan.
-Shooting clays? Clean it up!!! "But its biodegradable" so what!....CLEAN IT UP!
-Bring a fire extinguisher. Yes..... even in the winter or after the spring showers
-Keep your firearms within CA laws. Everyone can hear your high cap mag dumps
-Dont bring tannerite, yes they can cause a fire in the right conditions.
-If you bring non experienced shooters, please discuss firearm safety, establish a shooting line and establish a GSW plan.
-Did I say, "Please clean up after yourself and then some?"

It only takes one reported incident due to ignorance to get this place shut down. Based on what I read on some BLM spots shutting down in So Cal, we do not need that same BS in our beloved forest. I may not be a pioneer here but at least use some common sense and advise the next man. Sheriff John Di'Agostini worked hard for our privileges here and I'll be damned if they are taken away!

-from an El Dorado County resident
Old 03-12-2014, 7:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That shooting area has been around since long before D'Agostini was even running for Sheriff.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
That shooting area has been around since long before D'Agostini was even running for Sheriff.

Oh I know that, I was referring to him taking back the forest from the Forest Rangers harassing the shooters there.
Old 03-13-2014, 7:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

So has anyone been up there this week? Wondering if I can get my car in there or if it's so muddy I'll need a truck.

Old 03-13-2014, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

Ya I was just up there and got patted down for her safety. I was on a trail that's closed during winter for some reason and almost got my jeep ticketed and Ar s bullet button tested...harassment at its finest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk