Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 7:01 AM

Default CCW Permit denied

Has anyone gone through the appeals process and been successful? Is it worth it?
Old 08-18-2013, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

Depends what the offense was to be honest and how long ago the crime was. I have 2 misdemeanors when I was 18 some 20+ years ago. When I applied and I had no issues getting a permit..............o.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 AM

I was denied due to admitted recent Marijuana use. Recent to them meaning 2008 while I wa in college.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 AM

Should've lied. Now they will always have that on record and use it against you. YOu hafta move if you want a chance
Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 AM

I couldn't lie. I'm applying for law enforcement positions and I'm already on record as admitting to doing it in college.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 AM

By move do you mean out of state or county? If it was another county couldn't they just see why I was previously denied?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpro916 View Post
By move do you mean out of state or county? If it was another county couldn't they just see why I was previously denied?
State.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Sometimes it sucks to have integrity.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I couldn't lie. I'm applying for law enforcement positions and I'm already on record as admitting to doing it in college.
You mean cuz you have integrity...right?
I would just try again in a few years if you don't plan on leaving the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-18-2013, 11:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Hope that joint was amazing...
Old 08-20-2013, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you get one of those LE slots, you're troubles will be over. You can carry whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want.

Good luck.
Old 08-20-2013, 9:49 PM

should have lied.

" Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison
Old 08-21-2013, 9:44 AM

Never lie. Then you get a permit and a felony to go with it after the fact. Then, you can't even own firearms. Nice one.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think the 2 answers would have ever come across each other. Your LEO application and interview doesn't have anything to do with an FBI/DOJ background check. Having integrity does suck though I agree lol.

George Orwell

Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
I don't think the 2 answers would have ever come across each other. Your LEO application and interview doesn't have anything to do with an FBI/DOJ background check. Having integrity does suck though I agree lol.
I could be wrong, but I would presume whatever agency would run background checks on people applying for a LEO position. Seems like a reasonable assumption, no?

Tom
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

I think it's worth the trouble
Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Appeal it, it is worth it. If you want your LTC bad enough you would. Worse they can say is no.
Old 08-21-2013, 5:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbombaci View Post
I could be wrong, but I would presume whatever agency would run background checks on people applying for a LEO position. Seems like a reasonable assumption, no?

Tom
Naw what I mean is when you do your Department interview they ask you have you done Question A. I don't think the answer goes into some DOJ data base. I think that's just your personal file. Same with your CCW I don't think their going to pull up your personal Sherriff's Department intake application to see if you smoked pot to deny your you CCW. It is always good to have integrity so you don't have to worry about it coming back to bite you but lol /Shrug Integrity gets you a denied CCW application.

George Orwell

Old 08-21-2013, 6:00 PM

I would appeal... that is if your clean now! May have to do a piss test. If you still use MJ forget it! Don't argue about being a prescription drug that won't hold water.
Old 08-21-2013, 8:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I for sure will appeal? Would it help to have my friend who works for Sac Sheriff to write a character reference? Also for the LEO stuff they do ask you on the application if you have ever been denied a CCW. So I will have to say yes now. That said, my story isn't consistent and has never changed. I'm sure the LEO stuff will go fine. I have a physical agility test and then I fid out if I get a spot in the academy. Fingers crossed! Thanks again guys.
Old 08-21-2013, 8:49 PM

Is consistent* lol. Sorry, replying from my phone.
Old 08-21-2013, 9:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well you're not getting a career in law enforcement now either.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 08-22-2013, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
Well you're not getting a career in law enforcement now either.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4
That's not 100% true... I know a kid in high school who used coke and weed and other stuff, is now a deputy K9, up in Amador and been so for a while... Depends on the agency who he applies for! Some do not care, while others do.
Old 08-22-2013, 7:43 PM

Definitely do the appeal. I helped my bro with his after he was denied and it was soon granted a short time later.
Old 08-22-2013, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Wait, you can become president, but you can't get a license to carry, and can possibly be denied a LE position ?
That doesn't sound right.
If not convicted for anything,I would admit nothing.
Old 08-25-2013, 7:25 AM

Jday that's false. I have talked to many officers an I have a friend who dies backgrounds for a department. Smoking weed 5-6 years prior to applying certainly does not disqualify. Most background investigators have told me they are more concerned when they see someone has never tried pot. Anything going in your veins or up your nose is another story, but weed in college won't get you disqualified.
Old 09-03-2013, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Jday that's false. I have talked to many officers an I have a friend who dies backgrounds for a department. Smoking weed 5-6 years prior to applying certainly does not disqualify. Most background investigators have told me they are more concerned when they see someone has never tried pot. Anything going in your veins or up your nose is another story, but weed in college won't get you disqualified.
Man, that sucks.....live a clean life and that makes you suspect!!!

Never tried the 'Wacky Tabacy'!!! In fact, I've trained the drug dogs for the Air Force and they were not to be fooled with.....you had it and tried to hide it....they'd find it and you're 'BUSTED'!!!

Never drank.....so, no 'DUI' either.....better watch out!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 8:40 AM

Quote:

Never tried it and I have my ccw. Why would there be a problem with a clean person?
Old 09-11-2013, 6:28 PM

How many years ago did you last smoke marijuana?
Old 09-11-2013, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

A lot of bad and misinformation in this thread. IF you do not know what you are talking about, and cannot give accurate information, its better not to post at all. LEO applicants will undergo an extensive background check. They will find out. Your CCW application will be pulled from the agency you are applying for.

Also, an admission of smoking MJ is not an automatic DQ. There are a lot of factors that will determine your outcome.
Old 09-11-2013, 8:53 PM

The only thing that secures you a ccw in LA is funding Baca's elections or being a buddy of his. 10 million people here....886 ccw's. Fact!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-11-2013, 8:54 PM

Baca is corrupt beyond imagination.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-11-2013, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Default CCW Permit denied

Quote:
I was denied due to admitted recent Marijuana use. Recent to them meaning 2008 while I wa in college.
Funny
Some agencies will still hire if its been at least 3 years since last use
Let me rephrase: it's not an automatic DQ
Old 09-11-2013, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWalt View Post
Sometimes it sucks to have integrity.
It never sucks to have integrity. But it does suck to have used recreational drugs. Actions have consequences, even if they might seem unfair.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-11-2013, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Most background investigators have told me they are more concerned when they see someone has never tried pot.
I'm former military and held some of the highest security clearances. I've never used marijuana or any other recreational drugs. That didn't raise any flags for my background investigation, which was considerably more in-depth than anything you will go through for LE.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed—where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals
Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
Never tried it and I have my ccw. Why would there be a problem with a clean person?

No, I really should have phrased it better. The only reason they might take notice is since weed is a pretty popular, socially acceptable drug, someone who has said they never ever tried it (and yes obviously there are people who never have) COULD be seen as someone who might be trying to lie. That said it doesn't really matter because for LEO you will have to pass polygraph anyway.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Just an update, my CCW was granted after I sent in my appeal letter.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:19 PM

When i answered no that i had never smoked weed they began asking follow up questions like really not even in Hs and when i said no cause i played sports they asked about steroid usage...so yes being a clean person and stating no can cause the detectives to be suspicious....congratulations Op on your reversal and obtaining your ccw
Old 09-16-2013, 9:36 PM

I applaud you for your honesty and integrity and I am glad you finally got your CCW.

A lot of people do what they can to manipulate the system in their favor. You stuck to your morals and were ultimately rewarded in the end. I wish you the best in the LE field. Good luck
Old 09-17-2013, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops... View Post
That's not 100% true... I know a kid in high school who used coke and weed and other stuff, is now a deputy K9, up in Amador and been so for a while... Depends on the agency who he applies for! Some do not care, while others do.
Hell I know of a guy who now lives in the White House in Washington D.C. He smoked and sold.