Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2015, 2:42 PM

Default The Gun Room in Elk Grove is anti-PPT and anti-2nd Amendment

I had a very negative experience at The Gun Room the other day, when I walked in to do a PPT. Called them earlier in the day to confirm store hours and that they would process a PPT, then drove nearly an hour to get there, only to be told by the clerk at the register that the DROS system had been down all day and they weren't able to process the PPT.

Gee, it would've been nice if you'd mentioned that when I called two hours prior.

Even that wouldn't have prompted this post... 'cuz, hell... stuff happens. I get that. But what REALLY seemed inappropriate was when the guy at the counter then looked at the gun case I was carrying and said, "Oh, if that's an AR pistol, we don't support or endorse those, anyway. So we refuse to do PPTs that involve those."

WHAT?!? Are you telling me that a gun store, who supposedly should be a champion of the Second Amendment, thinks they have the right to tell other gun owners that the may not own a gun that is perfectly legal in this already-tight-fisted and overly-regulated state? That is utterly mind-blowing to me. But the clerk kept insisting that the "upper management" has decided to take a stand against AR pistols and has mandated that the shop neither sell them nor process PPTs involving them.

So, I will never give this store any form of business ever again, and I strongly suggest that the rest of the Calguns community do the same. This store's stance is extremely hypocritical. You can't claim to support the Second Amendment and then deny other's access to it at the same time. To blanketly state that AR pistols shouldn't be allowed, when even the hyperliberal California legislature hasn't gone that far, is just ludicrous.
Old 02-10-2015, 2:51 PM

Not only AR pistols, they refuse to transfer. AR's period. I went there and was told they wouldnt do my transfer. I had to travel to big 5 in sac to do it.
Old 02-10-2015, 5:13 PM

Sorry that happened to you both. A bad experience is never good.
Old 02-10-2015, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

No, they're most assuredly not anti-PPT or Anti-2nd Amendment. I live over an hour away, don't work for them, and don't know anyone that does.

I've done 3 different PPT's there including an M1A and a 1911. My own experiences were absolutely positive. In fact, having done PPT's at no less than 6 locations in NorCal (8 more in SoCal), I'd rate them in my "Easiest 5".

That being said, I've never owned or tried to PPT an AR Pistol.

OP, did you post this because you care about 2A, or because you felt personally offended and decided to get even?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.
Old 02-10-2015, 7:14 PM

Too bad, i was going check this place out. Not now.
Old 02-10-2015, 7:47 PM

If they are legally allowed to transfer said firearms and they don't because they don't endorse that type of firearm, that is most assuredly anti-2A, no question. Reminds me of the liberal talk "We didn't say you can't own a gun, just not those scary looking military kinds." I have never gone to the gun room I prefer sacramento black rifle(very pro 2A) but I might have to check out the gun room to validate the OP's claim.
Old 02-10-2015, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecophotog View Post
..... WHAT?!? Are you telling me that a gun store, who supposedly should be a champion of the Second Amendment, thinks they have the right to tell other gun owners that the may not own a gun that is perfectly legal in this already-tight-fisted and overly-regulated state? ...
Well, yes, they do have the right to not deal with any variety of gun they choose to not like.

We have the right to not support their store/range. I don't go there for other reasons, but have heard similar complaints as yours.
Old 02-10-2015, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=977472

I talked to one of the guys behind the counter a long time ago about why no ar15's? He told me the owner did not want to sell them.

The owner does sell engraved toothpicks - they are by the cash register. Why toothpicks? Because the owner wants to sell them.

Last edited by NATEWA; 02-10-2015 at 8:57 PM.. Reason: Grammar errors - dang iPhone
Old 02-10-2015, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

They suck plain and simple. After being told I probably couldn't afford a M1A they had that I wanted to look at, they are the last place I'd ever go to again.
Old 02-10-2015, 9:35 PM
CGN Contributor

Did a PPT. there about a year ago and no problem at all. Picking what legal guns a gun store wants to PPT. by what a gun looks like is just wrong it sure is not pro 2A . If you didn't get the PPT. done try calling Ron at Armory outpost in Rancho Cordova. I know he sells scary black guns and has fair prices on PPT. but call ahead and make sure on an AR pistol . Crazy how some of these shops treat the 2A buying and owning public.
Old 02-10-2015, 9:58 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Have heard too many bad stories about this place - will never set foot in there to patronize them. Have done two PPT at Wild Bills in Elk Grove recently with no problem.
Old 02-11-2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubot10 View Post
OP, did you post this because you care about 2A, or because you felt personally offended and decided to get even?
I posted this because I think their behavior is detrimental to the gun community and I wondered if my experience was an anomaly. Clearly it isn't.

I think California gun owners face more than enough challenges from the Left and the Legislature... it is an unfortunate case of adding insult to injury when someone from within the gun community (the shop owner, apparently) perpetuates the myth of the evil black rifle. That just feeds into the stereotypes already held by the antigun lobby and I definitely think it is an anti-2A stance. I don't think that kind of a store deserves support from the gun owning community.... but that's just my opinion.
Old 02-11-2015, 2:15 AM
Veteran Member

They surely wont get my business and will pass this info to all my friends that live in Elk Grove.
Old 02-11-2015, 5:17 AM
Veteran Member

Ive been denied ppt of a ar. I drove from pville to meet the buyer and they made up some excuse. I thought ok bull...moved on over to wild bills...
Old 02-11-2015, 7:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, they're most assuredly not anti-PPT or Anti-2nd Amendment. I live over an hour away, don't work for them, and don't know anyone that does.

I've done 3 different PPT's there including an M1A and a 1911. My own experiences were absolutely positive. In fact, having done PPT's at no less than 6 locations in NorCal (8 more in SoCal), I'd rate them in my "Easiest 5".

That being said, I've never owned or tried to PPT an AR Pistol.

Clueless. Utterly clueless.

Yes, it's their business and they are free to make choices.

Yes, the choice they made re: AR's is anti-2a.

Yes, it's everyone choice to react and have an opinion on the OP's experience.

I'm always amazed at the posts of people that have a good experience at a shop/business that has a well deserved overall bad reputation.

"Hey, I know that shop X rips off 15% of the customers, has horrible CS, and sucks overall, but the two times I went there nothing happened to me so they are GTG" Really? Your small positive experience outweighs and negates the shops overall poor behavior?

The Botach supporters come to mind.........................

Your statement that
Quote:
No, they're most assuredly not anti-PPT or Anti-2nd Amendment.
is entirely contradicted by the OPs experience and the follow up experiences of others.

Please explain how a LGS that refuses to do PPT's on perfectly legal long guns and pistols is
Quote:
not anti-PPT or Anti-2nd Amendment.
Old 02-11-2015, 7:26 AM

Just read a coupe yelp reviews on em. Reminded me of that thread not too long ago about the used car sales and pizza delivery.
Old 02-11-2015, 7:31 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it their obligation as an 01 (or greater) FFL to do a PPT for a legal firearm where no party is suspected of being a prohibited person during business hours? I understand refusing sale of certain firearms, but I don't believe they can refuse PPT for firearms because "owner doesn't like them". I suppose they could make the case that they feel they are illegal based on a CADOJ bulletin, but it doesn't sound like they've made that pitch.
Old 02-11-2015, 7:34 AM

Took an hour to do one PPT there recently. It was buyer's choice. Never again will I go there. No customer service at all and given the ring around. Shooters warehouse, Cordova shooting center, etc took only 15 minutes max
Old 02-11-2015, 12:57 PM

Go down the street to Wild Bills. They are a much friendlier shop.
Old 02-11-2015, 1:29 PM

Based on this, I'll never return there. And I've bought three guns there. Screw the owner.
Old 02-11-2015, 1:53 PM

Yep, I felt out of place when I went there.
Old 02-11-2015, 4:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post
Clueless. Utterly clueless.

Yes, it's their business and they are free to make choices.

Yes, the choice they made re: AR's is anti-2a.

Yes, it's everyone choice to react and have an opinion on the OP's experience.

I'm always amazed at the posts of people that have a good experience at a shop/business that has a well deserved overall bad reputation.

"Hey, I know that shop X rips off 15% of the customers, has horrible CS, and sucks overall, but the two times I went there nothing happened to me so they are GTG" Really? Your small positive experience outweighs and negates the shops overall poor behavior?

The Botach supporters come to mind.........................

Your statement that is entirely contradicted by the OPs experience and the follow up experiences of others.

Please explain how a LGS that refuses to do PPT's on perfectly legal long guns and pistols is
Really? Clueless?

Gotta love self righteous political pundits.

You've smelled your own BS for so long you think the rest of the world is defined by you.

The decision to not sell AR's is a business decision made by the person who's WF is on the line. Yes, you have an opinion but unless you're going to finance their business when they follow your advice, your just a big political mouth.

Any business that stocks & sells hundreds of firearms, operates a shooting range, and does PPT's is obviously not anti-gun or anti-2A.

I've done three PPT's there, have you? Hell, has your smug WF even been to the place? You remind me a lot of the ranting, mouth-frothing, wild eyed Liberal Anti's that know everything about guns they've never seen.

Quote:
They want to be rulers. Well I don't effing want to be ruled, I want to be represented.

Last edited by Ferrum; 02-12-2015 at 9:22 AM..
Old 02-11-2015, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
CA FFLs are obligated to handle PPTs.
ARTICLE 2. Grounds for Forfeiture of License [26800. - 26915.]
( Article 2 added by Stats. 2010, Ch. 711, Sec. 6. )

A licensee shall agree to and shall act properly and promptly in processing firearms transactions pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 28050).
Shall, not "may". I'd throw this in their face next time.
Old 02-11-2015, 5:32 PM

They charged me $36 for a ppt.
Old 02-11-2015, 5:47 PM

I will never go to the Gun Room... I've had several bad experiences there. Every time I've been there I've been treated like I was an inconvenience, they have the worst customer service of any gun shop I've ever been to. Many years ago I actually bought my first pistol there, and as I was filling out the DROS I mentioned to the employee that it was my X-Mas present. He said "Since you said that, I can't let you buy it today since it's illegal to buy a firearm for someone else... just come back tomorrow and don't mention that and we'll do the paperwork again." I clarified to him that I meant I was buying it as a Christmas present for myself, and we did the DROS. ...So this shop doesn't care if you're making a straw purchase as long as you don't tell them? They would have sold me the pistol the next day knowing full well that I was buying it for someone else. And then they turn around and tell the OP (and others) they won't transfer any AR-style rifles or pistols even though they're perfectly legal? Talk about hypocritical.

I say screw this place, with so many great shops in the area there's no reason to give these a-holes your money. I recommend checking out Sacramento Black Rifle for ARs or parts/accessories, or if you just want to do a PPT head over to The Gun Range. Both those places have EXCELLENT customer service (especially TGR) and the Gun Range is also a good place to shoot pistols. TGR also will let you shoot your newly-purchased firearm at their range during the 10-day waiting period, they will process PPTs and transfers quickly, and they have good prices on their inventory (I got a Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport from them for $599 recently).

Sorry for the long rant, I just absolutely HATE The Gun Room and want to do everything in my power to save any Calgunners from having to deal with them.
Old 02-11-2015, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Really? Clueless?

Gotta love self righteous political pundits.

You've smelled your own BS for so long you think the rest of the world is defined by you.

The decision to not sell AR's is a business decision made by the person who's Azz is on the line. Yes, you have an opinion but unless you're going to finance their business when they follow your advice, your just a big political mouth.

Any business that stocks & sells hundreds of firearms, operates a shooting range, and does PPT's is obviously not anti-gun or anti-2A.

I've done three PPT's there, have you? Hell, has your smug Azz even been to the place? You remind me a lot of the ranting, mouth-frothing, wild eyed Liberal Anti's that know everything about guns they've never seen.
You're opinion is in the severe minority. Looks like you are the sole individual defining the world.

Luls at your rant. Get some thicker skin.

Still wondering where you got the political slant from ?

I don't have to step into a particular lgs to understand that their refusal to sell, ppt, or have anything to do with a subset of perfectly legal firearms is lame and anti ppt and anti 2a.

You're sounding rather illogical bro.
Old 02-11-2015, 5:55 PM

Location: SF Bay Area then go east to the hills with wind mills

Well at least they don't charge a 35.00 storage fee if your gun sits in the safe 1 day longer then the 10 day wait.
Like Stockton Outdoor Sportsmen.

It's to bad.
I've done 3 PPT's hand guns at GV.
I'm running out of options along the I99.
Old 02-11-2015, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it their obligation as an 01 (or greater) FFL to do a PPT for a legal firearm where no party is suspected of being a prohibited person during business hours? I understand refusing sale of certain firearms, but I don't believe they can refuse PPT for firearms because "owner doesn't like them". I suppose they could make the case that they feel they are illegal based on a CADOJ bulletin, but it doesn't sound like they've made that pitch.
Great point !
Old 02-11-2015, 6:05 PM

Firearms dealers are required to
conduct private party transfers pursuant to Penal Code section 12071(b)(5). Dealers may not limit
the days or hours in which private party transfers are conducted.

It doesn't specify that they can pick and choose what types of firearms to process.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...obuls/0101.pdf
Old 02-11-2015, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post
You're opinion is in the severe minority. Looks like you are the sole individual defining the world.

Luls at your rant. Get some thicker skin.

Still wondering where you got the political slant from ?

I don't have to step into a particular lgs to understand that their refusal to sell, ppt, or have anything to do with a subset of perfectly legal firearms is lame and anti ppt and anti 2a.

You're sounding rather illogical bro.

Yeah, I know. You can't stop saying bro, bro.

Play it back.

I've given my comment based on my own experiences. You've expressed your opinion of some place you've never been to.

I'm not trying to convince anyone who's had an experience to the contrary. You identified me as someone who clearly needed your self righteous indignation.

Our only real difference is in defining "Anti 2A". I understand the whole "all or nothing", willing to cut your nose off, thing. I just don't apply it to a business that I don't own because I can't stand when gays, minorities, women, and any other group does it.

Everyone is obviously free to share their own experiences and even to ask that others not shop here, you won't find me commenting on those posts.

But the statement that this shop is "Anti" is as exaggerated and disingenuous as any BS generated by Libtards. IMHO

Quote:

Last edited by Loubot10; 02-11-2015 at 6:15 PM.. Reason: Stoopid computer
Old 02-11-2015, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo5959 View Post
Well at least they don't charge a 35.00 storage fee if your gun sits in the safe 1 day longer then the 10 day wait.

It's to bad.
Come on down to Manteca and use Tunn Tavern Arms. Just an FFL, not a shop, Lee is a great guy.
Old 02-12-2015, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo5959 View Post

It's to bad.

I did my first ppt at stockton outdoor sportsmen at the request of the seller. I fill out all of the paperwork and then they inform me of their b.s. policy of picking up the firearm on the 10th day, otherwise I'm charged $35. Total scam! Had I know prior to filling out the paperwork, I would have asked the seller to go somewhere else.
Old 02-12-2015, 9:55 AM
Calguns Addict

The Gun Room gets my downvote.

#1. They don't know the law, and spread fud.
#2. They mark up their stuff astronomically.
#3. The RSOs treat everyone like dirt.

I've been going there on and off since they opened, and I've never had a truly positive experience. At best it was non eventful.

I still remember one day, I came into the store with my pistol. The gun was in a locked case, unloaded, with loaded magazines in the slots of the case.

The RSO proceeded to comment to me that it was illegal to have loaded mags in the same container, and that I would get arrested if I was caught.

I proceeded to tell him that he was wrong, and that it was not illegal. He proceeded to tell me that he knows a lot of cops that would arrest me. I told him be that as it may, it was not illegal.

He proceeded again to say, "well, we just don't like it here."

I then agreed with him saying that if it was a store policy then I understand. Just don't tell me it's illegal when you just don't like it.

He got pissed, and proceeded to be belligerent for the duration of the transaction.

I've also conducted many PPTs there (at the request of sellers/buyers) and I cannot comprehend why it would take TWO HOURS to do a PPT, with absolutely no business (because hey, nobody buys their overpriced parts).

They don't let you dry fire their stock. I'm not a thug, and am a respectable adult in my 30s who speaks well and does not have an attitude. I could understand if they don't let thuggish kids do it. But if I'm seriously going to consider purchasing a modern handgun (we're not talking rimfires or old guns here). How am I supposed to know if I want to buy this gun if I can't pull the trigger? For god's sake, keep some snap caps on hand if you're that worried about a non-existent problem.

I transferred an SKS there once, and it took me literally 15 minutes to convince him it was not an assault weapon. Dude got hung up on the "Made in China Type 56 Carbine" and got combative with me when I told him it is not the same as the Type 56, which is an AK. Anyway made things really inconvenient for the buyer and myself.

If you want a good shooting experience that has good prices on range ammo, guns, pleasant and knowledgeable staff....DON'T go to The Gun Room.

Go instead to The Gun Range. Those guys are A+ and will get your PPT done (even with a full house of shooters) in <30 minutes.

Last edited by Mossy Man; 02-12-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Old 02-12-2015, 9:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster1269 View Post
Not only AR pistols, they refuse to transfer. AR's period. I went there and was told they wouldnt do my transfer. I had to travel to big 5 in sac to do it.
Big 5 do PPT?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 AM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

The Gun Room range is also anti-CCW. They look down on you if you are carrying concealed. If you must go to an indoor range, try "The Gun Range" 25 minutes north.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post
The Gun Room range is also anti-CCW. They look down on you if you are carrying concealed. If you must go to an indoor range, try "The Gun Range" 25 minutes north.
+1 N. Highlands The Gun Range specifically for this purpose.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If they don't want the business of people buying new EBR/EBP, that is their right to not sell those items. I find that rather dickish and poor business practice.

As for the PPT, my understanding is that they must process them regardless of the type of gun, provides it is lega to buy/sell/own in kommiefornia, and the buyer is not prohibited. The posts of the specific PC above seem to support that.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've given my comment based on my own experiences. You've expressed your opinion of some place you've never been to.
A logical person can create an opinion of somewhere, based on the non disputed experiences of others, can't they? I haven't been to Yemen, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it there.

Quote:
I'm not trying to convince anyone who's had an experience to the contrary.
Sure you are.

Quote:
You identified me as someone who clearly needed your self righteous indignation.
You appear to need more than that.

Quote:
Our only real difference is in defining "Anti 2A". I understand the whole "all or nothing", willing to cut your nose off, thing. I just don't apply it to a business that I don't own because I can't stand when gays, minorities, women, and any other group does it.
This is where you start to go off the rails. PPT'ing an AR15 or an AR15 pistol is perfectly legal. No gray area, no risk to the shop. It just seems the owner dislikes certain legal firearms and refuses to PPT them (potentially an illegal refusal as some have pointed out). That sounds anti 2a to me.

Quote:
Everyone is obviously free to share their own experiences and even to ask that others not shop here, you won't find me commenting on those posts.
Not sure what you would have to say, since this lgs in particular is a FUD FACTORY as many others have shared their experiences.

Quote:
But the statement that this shop is "Anti" is as exaggerated and disingenuous as any BS generated by Libtards. IMHO
Ok, let's not say they are anti. Let's just say they spread FUD like it's going out of style, have bad attitudes, do 2 hour ppt's, and are pretty-much pro 2a (as long as it's a legal firearm that the owner, clerk, secretary, or any other employee) is not opposed to.

yea,,,,, I don't need to go there to know it's best to avoid it.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM

My only experience was a few years ago when I brought a .22 knockoff of the MP5 (GSG MP5SD) to the range. It was around 3 pm on a Sunday. The RSO (an older gent) said "well the owner sure isn't around now, so go on in". Felt strange that they'd have a policy against 'military-looking' guns on their range, even .22's.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM

I've had only one experience at the gun room. It wasn't positive. Gun room, pound sand

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands