Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-14-2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
Seeing how this sub forum quieted down a lot, I was wondering if people have gone featureless or the super fixed mag method nowadays.

Itching to assemble a 6.5CM, but weighing it between AR308 platform or Bolt action R700. \_(ツ)_/

Leaning towards bolt.
Sure we are, best way in my opinion is to start with a stripped lower and decide on what Commifornia legal configuration you are going to start with. Here is my 2018 build.

She started out as a California DROS'd stripped lower. I finished her in Arizona as a pistol, then put her it's current Commifornia legal configuration. She is a fixed magazine.
Old 10-14-2018, 3:50 PM

My next build is going to be a .300 HAM'R. Here in Commiefornia we cannot have supressors so a .300 AAC Blackout is out of the question. I really like .300 HAM'R's ballistics it hits harder than 7.62x39, 30-30, .300 AAC Blackout. This setup that I have is just soo versatile, I was going to build an AK, but not feeling fin grips. Maybe I will build a range plinker once CompMag releases their CompMag 47...
Old 10-14-2018, 4:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Gun shop down the road from me has Anderson lowers for 41.00, I guess I need to do another one.

In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Publius Cornelius Scipio
Old 10-14-2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuolumnejim View Post
Gun shop down the road from me has Anderson lowers for 41.00, I guess I need to do another one.
Dude, for in stock in California, that is a great price. Freaking Turner
s Outdoorsman or Ammo Bros are always being price gauchers with the price of a stripped lower. Turners has them for 69.00-100.00 which too high for the current market.
Old 10-14-2018, 4:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toamaius View Post
Dude, for in stock in California, that is a great price. Freaking Turner
s Outdoorsman or Ammo Bros are always being price gauchers with the price of a stripped lower. Turners has them for 69.00-100.00 which too high for the current market.
Lol not in the PRK, and here I don't pay for a back ground check with my CCW.

In a state where corruption abounds, laws must be very numerous.
Publius Cornelius Scipio
Old 10-14-2018, 10:45 PM

The past two years I've liquidated my ARs, sold five AR15s two AR10s, and two AR pistols, they were all on the market for barely a day or two before selling, there is a definitely people buying them, but I always price my sales below market value. Here's the last AR I sold on Calguns:

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1435704

Originally planned on owning no ARs, my wife was very happy I had none left in the safe.... but just last month I couldn't hold off and picked up a basic entry level Ruger MPR and a cheap Anderson stripped lower to keep in the safe.

Last edited by ZombieLivesMatter; 10-14-2018 at 10:51 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

yes

I built 2 AR15s this year - one is a 22lr, and one is a fixed mag -- both on Aero M4E1 lowers

I changed my BBRAW to a 7.62x39 -- once mean or bear flag makes a loader for a 7.62x39 I will get the DFM mag and make it a fixed mag - making my BBRAW back into a 5.56x45

also picked up 2 anderson lowers, just to have

Last edited by jimbo74; 10-14-2018 at 10:51 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 9:18 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Originally planned on owning no ARs, my wife was very happy I had none left in the safe....
Why did she care? Just curious. I had a girlfriend once who "didn't mind that I owned guns," but, "nobody should have an AR-15 'assault rifle', and especially not more than one!" And I never understood the logic, apart from the fact that the media tends to demonize black rifles. She never had any problem with my semi-auto shotguns or handguns or high-power rifles

She would say, "These guns are used in so many mass shootings!" and I would ask, "Are you worried I'm going to shoot up a crowd with them or something?" And she would say, "Of course you wouldn't, but other people who own ARs might," and I'd say, "So let me get this straight, I shouldn't have ARs because someone else might use their own ARs to commit a crime? So, like, you shouldn't have a car because someone else might use their own car to plow through a farmer's market?"

But I digress... that argument ultimately went nowhere.

Don't panic. As of 11/21/2018, only around 40% of BBRAW applicants have received their letter. DOJ is still actively processing them... slowly. In the meantime:

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 10-15-2018 at 9:30 AM..
Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Why did she care? Just curious. I had a girlfriend once who "didn't mind that I owned guns," but, "nobody should have an AR-15 'assault rifle', and especially not more than one!" And I never understood the logic, apart from the fact that the media tends to demonize black rifles. She never had any problem with my semi-auto shotguns or handguns or high-power rifles

She would say, "These guns are used in so many mass shootings!" and I would ask, "Are you worried I'm going to shoot up a crowd with them or something?" And she would say, "Of course you wouldn't, but other people who own ARs might," and I'd say, "So let me get this straight, I shouldn't have ARs because someone else might use their own ARs to commit a crime? So, like, you shouldn't have a car because someone else might use their own car to plow through a farmer's market?"

Basically exactly what you said. Before I met my wife she was very far left and had also never touched or seen a gun in person. She was fine with my handguns, shotguns, bolt-action, and she enjoyed shooting my handguns. But she hated ARs and thought they were evil for no apparent reason. Her highschool niece was worse, she tagged along for shooting once but as soon as I took out a AR15 she started shivering and tears in her eyes, would not move.
My guess is just like you mentioned, the media demonizing the AR. My wife said just the thought of having no more ARs in the house made her feel safe, which didn't make sense to me if someone or even multiple assailants break in or if they're armed better I'd be at a disadvantage now. My wife doesn't believe we could be attacked ever, but I remind her she didn't live in the middle of the Rodney King riots in 92 like I did.
She wears the pants in the house but last month I manned up and put on the pants and picked up a basic AR to have at least one again for home defense.

Last edited by ZombieLivesMatter; 10-15-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Old 10-15-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Basically exactly what you said. Before I met my wife she was very far left and had also never touched or seen a gun in person. She was fine with my handguns, shotguns, bolt-action, and she enjoyed shooting my handguns. But she hated ARs and thought they were evil for no apparent reason. Her highschool niece was worse, she tagged along for shooting once but as soon as I took out a AR15 she started shivering and tears in her eyes, would not move.
My guess is just like you mentioned, the media demonizing the AR. My wife said just the thought of having no more ARs in the house made her feel safe, which didn't make sense to me if someone or even multiple assailants break in or if they're armed better I'd be at a disadvantage now. My wife doesn't believe we could be attacked ever, but I remind her she didn't live in the middle of the Rodney King riots in 92 like I did.
She wears the pants in the house but last month I manned up and put on the pants and picked up a basic AR to have at least one again for home defense.
My wife just finally realized it was a hopeless cause trying to regulate my firearms. Took at least 5 years but she's finally accepted the reality. Of all my guns, she actually likes the AR the most because its the easiest to shoot. ARs are perfect for women. Its actually kind of funny so many are scared of them.
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post

As it usually does.

The approach doesnt work with a statement or a question like "well why not?" or "its no one's business how many I own".

If you relate the bull barreled long rifle to her cork wedge heels or your 10.5" pistol to her spiked stilettos or your 14.5 pinned and welded do it all to her flats then she may begin to understand.

Then again the minute she questions anything about your collection other than "can I shoot that one next time?" then the door is always open for her to mosey on out.

We recently went to korean bbq in san gabriel after shooting at Burro and the hostess was pretty cute so I asked my single friend what his pickup line would be and he said, "So do you like guns?". After having a good laugh I realized...that its a pretty good line and weeds out a lot of undesirable know-it-alls.

Luckily I have a gf that asks "what booth are we going to see first at Shot this year?"

BLACK .223 KINGPINS AVAILABLE

Happy holidays from AR MAGLOCK and KINGPIN and HYPERSWITCH!

Purchase any 2 kits and get 20% off your full order.
Purchase any 3 kits and get 25% off your full order.
Purchase any 4 or more kits and get 30% off your full order.

http://armaglock.com

Note: Limited time only

.308 KINGPINS IN PRODUCTION

Kingpin and Hyperswitch FAQ and troubleshoot

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1428078
Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
My wife just finally realized it was a hopeless cause trying to regulate my firearms. Took at least 5 years but she's finally accepted the reality. Of all my guns, she actually likes the AR the most because its the easiest to shoot. ARs are perfect for women. Its actually kind of funny so many are scared of them.
That's awesome, we're at the 5 year mark too but not quite at my wife comfortable with ARs yet, but I feel she will be soon. The first time she held a gun was a Glock and she was literally shivering.... now she's bored with my Glocks and shoots my .44mag revolver, hoping she goes that way with AR.
I have a friend whose wife is from Texas and she had a larger gun collection than him when they first met. You guys that got girlfriends/wives that were already in to guns have it good.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:03 PM

My wife had never fired a gun 5 years ago.
Her first experience was with my Glock 17. She flinched so bad she rarely hit paper, but even so she enjoyed it, and she took instruction well. Now she shoots the Glock 17 extremely well and has progressed into multiple calibers on multiple platforms.
Even still, she had until recently drawn the line at the AR15. Didn't want anything to do with it. Wasn't the fear of recoil or anything like that, she's fired 12 gauge shotguns. I couldn't get her to say why but for whatever reason she wasn't going to shoot the AR.
At one point I got a Savage Axis II bolt action in .223 which she fired, and fired well. I used that as my "ammo" and kept telling her "see if you can shoot that you can shoot the AR".
Finally one day recently she relented (to shut me up I presume) and I could almost see her shake when she fired it he first time. But she kept going through the whole magazine, and finally when it was empty she turned around and had the biggest grin!
Now, just couple of months later, we call one of the AR's "hers" and it's set up the way she wants it, and she shoots it good.
She's talked to me about her previous apprehension and most of it had to do with the fact that the gun is so demonized that she was afraid of it even though she knew there was no real reason to be.

Last edited by Speedkills66; 10-15-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Old 10-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
You guys that got girlfriends/wives that were already in to guns have it good.
Yep.
And now as an added bonus, my daughter's favorite gun is her issue 249 SAW.
Old 10-15-2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
I try to. I like this place, have a lot of history here and time and money invested in the Ca fight, and try to still contribute...
Same here. And it saddens me that all you seem to see now are threads about complying with California's asinine laws and turning beautiful rifles in to silly configurations. Quite depressing.

Since moving out of Cali about two years ago my love for shooting has grown exponentially. I go through about 800-1000 rounds a month now. Aside from the Noveske 18" Rogue Hunter on the bottom all those rifles were purchased here in the free state of NV. Also got a DD MK18 and an AAC SR-5 suppressor waiting on the tax stamp!

Old 10-15-2018, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Yep.

You need to buy her an FN M249s SAW as an end of enlistment gift when she gets out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 4:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Same here. And it saddens me that all you seem to see now are threads about complying with California's asinine laws and turning beautiful rifles in to silly configurations. Quite depressing.

Since moving out of Cali about two years ago my love for shooting has grown exponentially. I go through about 800-1000 rounds a month now. Aside from the Noveske 18" Rogue Hunter on the bottom all those rifles were purchased here in the free state of NV. Also got a DD MK18 and an AAC SR-5 suppressor waiting on the tax stamp!

Looking good! Those are some very fine rifles you have there.

Old 10-15-2018, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcav View Post
ARs are perfect for women. Its actually kind of funny so many are scared of them.

Agreed, they are perfect for women. Very minimal recoil and easy to shoot. With my wife, it was convincing her that the amount of noise generated by an m4 carbine is not indicative of its recoil. After she got over that, she very much enjoys shooting ARs. She even shoots my 6.5 cm bolt gun now.

Old 10-15-2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Yep.
That is awesome, my daughter is only one now but I can only hope she gets in to shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post

Enjoy free America! That DD MK18 is a beauty, that would most likely be my first purchase out of state with a SBR tax stamp. My wife okayed for us to move out to AZ or Utah but we haven't pulled the trigger because we have so many roots here, all of our families are here.
Old 10-15-2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Agreed, they are perfect for women. Very minimal recoil and easy to shoot. With my wife, it was convincing her that the amount of noise generated by an m4 carbine is not indicative of its recoil. After she got over that, she very much enjoys shooting ARs. She even shoots my 6.5 cm bolt gun now.

Agreed, unless you're this guy lol:

https://youtu.be/wh7HYceVJ0o

Old 10-15-2018, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hahaha Oh my god.

Old 10-15-2018, 6:50 PM

Quote:
You need to buy her an FN M249s SAW as an end of enlistment gift when she gets out.
I've actually handled one of those in a local gun shop. Interesting weapon.
However, I already promised her any Nighthawk pistol of her choosing; that would likely be more affordable than that SAW😆
Old 10-15-2018, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

However, I already promised her any Nighthawk pistol of her choosing.

Great Dad, and great choice!!

Old 10-16-2018, 7:47 AM

I am interested in building a dedicated 9mm 7.5-8.5” barrel AR pistol. Any suggestion where/how I can buy a lower/upper? This will be my first ar so assume I am clueless.

Last edited by Cdang; 10-16-2018 at 7:49 AM.. Reason: Clarify as AR
Old 10-16-2018, 1:15 PM

It died down because we all moved!!!

Still buildIng here. Just secured a 10.5 inch faxon barrel.
Oh and having loads of fun with binary triggers in America.
Ephesians 6:10
Old 10-16-2018, 3:59 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I had a little baby so don't have time or funds, and my safe is full so don't have room, otherwise I'd still be building.

Some of it is there was so much building going on before the last AWB changes went in I think people are just taking a breather right now.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
That is awesome, my daughter is only one now but I can only hope she gets in to shooting.
She will, and love it, if you approach it correctly.
Helps if the wife is on board, and if you surround yourself and kids with folks who are also into it. If your daughter grows up knowing that gun culture is something that good people practice, it will naturally take hold. I'm fortunate; my kids have said that they are more relaxed and comfortable being in the presence of armed people.