Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Default Legal to have a removable shoulder stock on a rifle?

Is it legal in California to have someone custom make a stock for a Ruger Mini 14 where part of the shoulder stock is removable for transport/storage? I got the idea from the Chiappa Triple Threat shotgun, which has this feature. I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. If it makes a difference in legality, it would be alright with me if the separation line was forward of the grip, because this would really only be for transport/storage, and not for shooting without the shoulder stock. Legal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prodotti_immagini_immagine_511.jpg (69.2 KB, 182 views)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As long as the length stays over 26" when in it's shortest configuration capable of firing, it won't violate CA SBR laws. As long as it is over 30" in it's shortest fireable configuration, it won't violate CA's AW laws.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 10-11-2018, 12:31 PM

To add onto cannoneer, If it is a RAW for whichever reason, you are good to go if you are within 26-30 inches. No less than 26.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Even if you don’t intend to fire it with the stock removed, I believe it would still be a California SBR and California AW if it was capable of firing with the stock removed and was less than 30” with the stock removed. (26” SBR)
Old 10-11-2018, 1:53 PM

Still has to be 30 inches, huh? I guess that's a no go then. Thanks folks.
Old 10-11-2018, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
Still has to be 30 inches, huh? I guess that's a no go then. Thanks folks.
No, it can be shorter if it's a not a centerfire, semi auto rifle. You can make your mini 14 into a non semi auto if you really want something over 26" but under 30". Have you ever bothered to read CA AW laws?
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 10-11-2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
No, it can be shorter if it's a not a centerfire, semi auto rifle. You can make your mini 14 into a non semi auto if you really want something over 26" but under 30". Have you ever bothered to read CA AW laws?
I've looked at the laws but I get confused sometimes. It's possible that I would have read the NFA laws and CA laws but forgotten about the CA AW laws.
Old 10-11-2018, 4:43 PM

Decades ago I shot with a guy that had a custom padded canvass bag made to transport his Mini 14 in. It was made to hold the seperated stock and barreled action with Velcro straps. The bag is something like 10"x30" with pockets sewn in for mag storage.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Exactly. The trigger guard just pops and the action comes out.
Old 10-13-2018, 9:44 AM

Just a question. Why is different than a shotgun or rifle than can still fire if you remove the stock. Something like a AK or break open.

I have many guns that could still fire if I removed the stock? Is it the use of tools?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardini View Post
Decades ago I shot with a guy that had a custom padded canvass bag made to transport his Mini 14 in. It was made to hold the seperated stock and barreled action with Velcro straps. The bag is something like 10"x30" with pockets sewn in for mag storage.
Brings up an interesting question; if you remove the action from the stock, will the gun still fire? If so, and the total length is shorter than the law allows, wouldn’t this be a violation of the law?
Old 10-13-2018, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltstop View Post
Brings up an interesting question; if you remove the action from the stock, will the gun still fire? If so, and the total length is shorter than the law allows, wouldn’t this be a violation of the law?
Technically yes. If you took the stock off your AR or AK it can still fire. The AR would only get one round off but still technically it is fireable.

In the grand scheme of things its irrelevant. The ATF isnt going to kick in your door and shoot your dog if you took the stock off and its still be in a fireable condition. Hell I remember when i worked at a gun store a customer came in because his mag jammed in the rifle becuas the bullet button failed or something. The store owner was more paranoid about possibly making an assault weapon than fixing the rifle. I think we all need to just stop being so paranoid and afraid of the government.

To be American is to disobey.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:15 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
September 2017, Fresno PD made a felony arrest for possession of this SBR (Ruger 10/22 without a stock).

While on patrol, LEOs noticed an illegally parked RV and went to make a safety check on it.
Suspect was observed sitting next to the RV.
While pulling up, LEOs observed the suspect throwing something to the ground next to the RV.
When they made contact with the suspect, LEOs identified the object as a firearm.
Suspect was detained.
Search turned up composite knuckles and controlled substances (drugs).
Suspect was arrested for misdemeanor possession of composite knuckles [PC 21710] and felony possession of SBR [PC 33215].

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 10-13-2018 at 10:54 PM..
Old 10-14-2018, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder how the armalite, now henry arms, ar7 breakdown .22lr rifles fly under the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
Is it legal in California to have someone custom make a stock for a Ruger Mini 14 where part of the shoulder stock is removable for transport/storage?
Being under 30" and still fireable is a problem.
It's no problem to remove your Mini 14 action from it's stock and fire control group for transport though.
It's not fireable with the fire control group removed and the fire control group retains the stock to the action.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Brings up an interesting question; if you remove the action from the stock, will the gun still fire?
Mini14 or M14 or Garand type rifles all use the fire control group to retain the stock to the barreled action.
So if you remove the fire control group and the stock from the action, the action will not have the capability to fire without first reinstalling the fire control group.
For this reason, it's completely fine to break those 3 types down and transport them with the fire control group and stock removed from the action.
Old 10-15-2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Mini14 or M14 or Garand type rifles all use the fire control group to retain the stock to the barreled action.
So if you remove the fire control group and the stock from the action, the action will not have the capability to fire without first reinstalling the fire control group.
For this reason, it's completely fine to break those 3 types down and transport them with the fire control group and stock removed from the action.
Thank you for this information, ar15barrels!
Old 10-15-2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Good point. Just resist the temptation to reinstall the trigger group for transportation. Some of us are OCD :-)

Thank you.