Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2016, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't forget to check out Woodland (not that I'm prejudice or anything )

I-5 or I-80 is easy access as well from town. Nice areas and some even rural if that's what you want. Not too pricey either. Short commute to Sac as well.
Old 08-20-2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Generation Gun Owner View Post
Remember the 5 sale transactions per year rule. Not 5 guns, 5 transactions.
+1 - that's right! 1 transaction can be 1M handguns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
Stay out of Sac County. Live I the foothills, the foothills are much more conservative and less crime. Personally I perfer the I80 corridor Roseville, Rocklin, Auburn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY556 View Post
Go look at www.raidsonline.com
Look at crime and then start looking at the foothills off 80 or 50...IMHO.

The county is hit and miss, since you don't know the area and everyone has an opinion, your safe bet is just outside Sac such as: Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Auburn, Etc...much more family friendly...
I'd rent, since 3-5 down line is a crap shoot for prices on resale...
Good luck and welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinwoodland View Post
Don't forget to check out Woodland (not that I'm prejudice or anything )

I-5 or I-80 is easy access as well from town. Nice areas and some even rural if that's what you want. Not too pricey either. Short commute to Sac as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 9.25.37 PM.jpg (19.9 KB, 297 views)

https://cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/flags-of-the-world-2/128/united-states-3-512.png

U.S. Army SGT 3ID 1st BN 30th IN Veteran DAV '84-'88 (Germany) | G43, P99C, PPS / PPQ M1 (Classic), HK P2000

War Is a Racket by Two-time Medal of Honor recipient, USMC MG Smedley Butler

Best Place to Retire
Old 08-22-2016, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY556 View Post
Go look at www.raidsonline.com
Look at crime and then start looking at the foothills off 80 or 50...IMHO.

The county is hit and miss, since you don't know the area and everyone has an opinion, your safe bet is just outside Sac such as: Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Auburn, Etc...much more family friendly...
I'd rent, since 3-5 down line is a crap shoot for prices on resale...
Good luck and welcome!
Thanks! Didn't know about that website but will keep it bookmarked now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj35745 View Post
Kinda sorry for the length; hope this helps if you can wend your way to the ends…

...Hope this long-winded novel will assist your arrival.
Hit me up if you have questions.
Thanks for the post, that actually helped quite a bit.

Right now my wife and I are trying to decide between the Eastern side vs the Southern side of the city (well the surrounding area at least). Kind of depends if we see ourselves spending more time out in Tahoe or more time towards SF/San Jose/ect areas.
Old 08-22-2016, 7:34 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I live in Rocklin off of Highway 65. Crime is minimal. It's Placer county so CCW is good to go and without the BS politics that Sheriff Scott Jones is fighting against from those who want to restrict CCW permits for political gain.

Your child is young enough that schools don't matter much yet but Rocklin is one of the top school districts in the area if not the top. I work on the border of Rancho Cordova/Sacramento and it's about 45 mins in the AM, probably 1 hour home but I come down Hazel while you would come down 80.

If you have questions about Rocklin feel free to PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 08-22-2016, 9:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1rodeoboater View Post
Right now my wife and I are trying to decide between the Eastern side vs the Southern side of the city (well the surrounding area at least). Kind of depends if we see ourselves spending more time out in Tahoe or more time towards SF/San Jose/ect areas.
Don't pick the place you live based on its proximity to other places you want to be. Your happiness will be driven by anticipation of not being home. You will only be happy when you're not there.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Don't pick the place you live based on its proximity to other places you want to be. Your happiness will be driven by anticipation of not being home. You will only be happy when you're not there.
It's not a primary factor; rather a ancillary consideration. My wife is more concerned with finding someplace safe and a home that works for us that isn't too far away for me to get to work or for her to get to the stores.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

White Rock Rd just don't

Watt & I80 just don't
Old 08-25-2016, 6:01 AM

Another consideration my wife brought up.....which hospitals in the area are worth a damn and which aren't?
Old 08-25-2016, 7:18 AM

Medical care in the area is excellent.

-Kaiser has a large presence, and runs a Level II trauma center in South Sac.
--(You don't want to live there, but you do want your ambulance headed there.)

-UC Davis Medical Center is a top line teaching hospital in the Oak Park area close to town.
--(See Kaiser comment).
--*The UC Davis facilities also include a children's hospital directly associated with a Shriners' Hospital for Children (including a burn center)

-Sutter Health has top line cancer and surgery facilities.

-Dignity Health runs the Mercy hospital systems with excellent facilities and care. --(Their Methodist Hospital in South Sac is old and not "state of the art", but the care is excellent.).
--They are a faith-based organization which informs their end-of-life, and other, philosophies.

All have robust pediatric programs and women's health programs.

Most have networks of Urgent Care clinics and satellite offices throughout the region, allowing you to bypass the Emergency Department waits and gain access closer to your home.

TriCare is known and pretty much universally accepted in the region.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 08-25-2016 at 9:03 AM..
Old 08-25-2016, 7:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Another consideration my wife brought up.....which hospitals in the area are worth a damn and which aren't?
uc davis med center which is very near sac state.

kaiser is the baseline, sutter a bit better but uc davis the standard.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:55 AM

2 Kaisers I go to.
One in Folsom (50 and E Bidwell) and one in Sac (Morse between Howe and Watt).
One stop shop for docs, meds, blood and xray labs.
Kinda pricey, but worth it for not having to cross town to get your xrays, then back cross town for blood works, then back to the horsepistol for meds.
Old 08-25-2016, 2:35 PM

Thanks guys. My wife is happy to hear about all of that. Kind of hoping we end up on Tricare remote, but we may just be within the mileage/travel time radius from Travis AFB.
Old 08-25-2016, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. My wife is happy to hear about all of that. Kind of hoping we end up on Tricare remote, but we may just be within the mileage/travel time radius from Travis AFB.
It's been a while since I checked, but I recall the Tricare remote distance being 40 miles. MapQuesting Travis Sac State reads 44 miles from Travis.

Have you gotten any info from your sponsor or (I assume you're getting assigned to the AFROTC at CalState) the other members of the cadre? They can give you direct info on those particulars.
Old 08-25-2016, 6:05 PM

Rocklin and Lincoln are good. Roseville, Folsom, and most of Elk Grove are too.

Sacramento is military friendly. There are a lot of squishy liberals with state jobs, but they aren't hostile to people in uniform.

The rental market is very tough, as in 16 people trying to rent the same house tough. It's not un-doable.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth. BRE:#01443195 Fathom Realty

Last edited by marksmandowntown; 08-25-2016 at 6:08 PM..
Old 08-25-2016, 6:21 PM

Don't live in Sac County if you want ammo shipped to you (although I suppose that may be a moot point come 2017 or 18?).

Roseville and Rocklin are extremely great, I love living here.. next to all the good shops, mall, costco, hospitals, schools, shooting, etc. + Placer county rocks.

-Folsom is great too and its closer to SacValley (best shooting range in Norcal), or if you want more rural, Auburn Placerville and Eldorado Hills (bit more urban) are good too.

Last edited by jmunks; 09-05-2016 at 5:19 PM..
Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 PM

Welcome OP,
I'm a transplant too. I moved up from the Valley in L.A. 1 year ago. I found a great townhouse rental in Rocklin. 2 bedrooms, 1 bath with a 1 car attached garage, 850 sq ft. It's half of what I'm used to but I live alone so it's fine for me. I pay bit higher than similar apartments but the attached garage and no neighbors below or above me makes it worth the extra rent. I pay $1500/month at the moment but I'm expecting a rent hike when my lease expires this month.

I work in Sacramento so my commute is about 25 miles and takes on average 45 minutes. When I lived in LA, my old commute was 75 miles one way thru DTLA, passing Disneyland along the way to Santa Ana. That commute took 3 hours in am and 4-5 hours in the pm. It sucked the life out of me so nowadays, I'm pretty happy commuting a fraction of my old commute.

While I do miss specific places in SoCal, I'm finding lots of new and interesting places up here. Good eats, indoor and outdoor ranges, hiking, fishing, camping, cycling, etc. It's a great area to be single or raising a family. Oh, Placer County Sheriff is CCW friendly!

Once I find the right house, I'm buying my second to last home. The last one will be my retirement home somewhere out of state in 7 to 17 years from now.

Resident CCW: Enhanced ID
Non Resident CCW: AZ, FL, NV, OR, & UT
Old 09-01-2016, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Will do.

I'm 29, my wife's 31, my son's 2.5. I'm long past my partying days and now with a family we do more family oriented things and outdoors activities. We're pretty quiet keep to ourselves kind of people. I get a housing allowance of $1800ish for the area, so I can spend that and a little more on rent or a mortgage. It's a tossup for us in regards to renting or buying, we know we will only be in the area for 3 years. If we buy we would either sell or rent it out when we leave.
Look into El Dorado Hills. It really suits you and your family. I coach flag football here and most of the Dads I meet are military, law enforcement and feds. I mean a lot. The school are among the top of the nation and its very safe town. Its right outside of Sac County and its very 2A friendly.
Old 09-04-2016, 9:14 PM

^^^ just look what the schools in Placerville did for his spelling!

(Seriously, though, Sac and the surrounding area towards the east are great. Rocklin gets the worst smog, though. I would live higher or lower than Rocklin. If lower, don't buy in a dang flood zone!)
Old 09-04-2016, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Will do.

I'm 29, my wife's 31, my son's 2.5. I'm long past my partying days and now with a family we do more family oriented things and outdoors activities. We're pretty quiet keep to ourselves kind of people. I get a housing allowance of $1800ish for the area, so I can spend that and a little more on rent or a mortgage. It's a tossup for us in regards to renting or buying, we know we will only be in the area for 3 years. If we buy we would either sell or rent it out when we leave.

Welcome to Sacramento! Folsom is a great place for families with young kids. It has top-score schools in the region. There are also a lot of trails where you can bike or run. It is a bit pricey but it is worth it IMHO. For shooting range, Sacramento Gun Club is the newest indoor range in the area that has 50 yard rifle range. If you like shooting out door Sacramento shooting center in Sloughhouse is totally recommended.
Old 09-04-2016, 9:46 PM
Banned

Ditto for Folsom... It's the "bubble" where life is good and schools are fantastic. Living in Folsom I am 25 minutes away from Sac Valley Shooting Center (been a member 15 years now...) and there are lots of golf courses around (my other addiction). Ammo shipped to my door all day long and not a problem. More conservative out here just the way I like it........ El Dorado Hills to Rescue and up to Camino is also great in my opinion. Shingle Springs to Placerville too if you don't mind the commute down the hill.......
Old 09-05-2016, 8:01 AM

Do you want to be near Travis? How bout Vacaville? Lots of military and correctional officer families. It's a counter commute to sac-only 30-40 Mins. Property prices aren't crazy, crimes not too bad.
Old 09-05-2016, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

California is a great state if is weren't for the Californians.
Old 09-06-2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalibeltfeeder View Post
Do you want to be near Travis? How bout Vacaville? Lots of military and correctional officer families. It's a counter commute to sac-only 30-40 Mins. Property prices aren't crazy, crimes not too bad.
I thought the commute from Travis would be more like an hour or more with traffic. Is that just not the case?

I'm honestly fine living away from a base....might be a good thing for me and my family. I'm considering ETSing after this assignment so it might be a good way to start my transition sooner rather than abruptly.

Last edited by K1rodeoboater; 09-06-2016 at 8:31 PM..
Old 09-07-2016, 3:57 PM

Best way to know is to hit Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/
Then, input general or specific locations. Run the search at the time you expect to commute, and you'll get your number with traffic adjustment times.

Reverse the commute for return and run it at the appropriate time.

Best.
Old 09-07-2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
I thought the commute from Travis would be more like an hour or more with traffic. Is that just not the case?

I'm honestly fine living away from a base....might be a good thing for me and my family. I'm considering ETSing after this assignment so it might be a good way to start my transition sooner rather than abruptly.
well the base is in between Fairfield and Vacaville, so depending on where your going in sac...
I live in Vacaville, about 10 minutes from the base, it takes me 35 minutes to get from my house to my office/shop In the Power Inn area which is right by CSUS. It's a counter commute... Most traffic is going towards the Bay Area in the morning and back towards Sac in the afternoons, my commute is opposite, east towards Sac in the AM and west towards the bay in the PM.

Sac has some nice areas, but it's sprawling, it's crowded, and theres always lots of traffic, you can easily spend 30-45 mins going across town at the wrong time of the day.

Most areas of Vacaville are pretty nice, it's a smaller town, with not much traffic. You can get from one part to any other part in 10 minutes. It's a close knit community, with a lot of events. There's lots of shopping, eating, etc.. Crime rates aren't bad, schools are good. Decent homes can be found starting in the low to mid 300s. We're surrounded by farming, and while there is liberals, there is also a lot of conservatives. There's also a lot of shooters/gun enthusiasts in the area.

Lake Berryessa is 20 minutes north, and the delta is 20 minutes south. SF is an hour west (traffic depending). Close to wine country.

My other choice would be woodland, like Dave mentioned, also auburn, loomis, winters, placerville, and even though it's further out - grass valley would also be nice.
Old 09-16-2016, 8:57 PM

K1rodeoboater,
What will you be doing, recruiting, or AFRT gig? Assuming USAF...?

Consider the City of Davis or the City of Dixon. Both are within 30 minutes commute to Sac State, and both make the drive to Travis AFB easy (also less than 30 min). If you want to be within biking distance to work, the neighborhoods around Sac State are nice. Check out River Park area right outside CSUS front enterance. College Glenn and the East Sac areas are also bike-able and decent neighborhoods. The region south of HWY 50 and West of Power Inn Rd is.... how do they say it in the real estate game... "less desirable". Stary near Sac State and north of HWY 50 and you'll be good.

Last edited by ABF; 09-16-2016 at 9:07 PM..
Old 09-18-2016, 2:07 PM

Lots of good advice for you here. Good luck on your move.

My 2 cents: The People's Republic of Davis is a good community, but are not what you would consider to be 2A or gun-friendly. I had friends that lived in Davis and always heard them complaining about the Davis PD.