Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-05-2018, 12:48 PM

does multiple residences create a problem?
Old 04-05-2018, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomike View Post
does multiple residences create a problem?
There have been many threads on this. I'd do a search, but I believe you can only have one principle residence in which you spend the preponderance of your time. You can't have a shack in the San Benito back country and claim it as a residence if you spend 75% or your time in an Atherton palace.

I have no idea how they would know, but unless your an illegal alien you'd be in big trouble if they found out.
Old 04-05-2018, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

See the Signitas Raulinaitis decision involving Ventura County. There the Sheriff's department conducted an investigation as to where the applicant was spending the majority of his time.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Exclamation San Benito CCW

Finally got mine in Feb after some psyche test drama. The Sheriffs dept. is really great and have streamlined their process online. I got a psyche eval that went sideways. I have no history of violence, no traffic infractions (I hold a CDL) and have full custody of my child. Dr. said I was a risk taker(like speeding) and have tendencies toward violence. The Sheriff let me appeal and get a second opinion. The new doc disagreed with the previous one and was confused with his conclusion. She found me "suitable'. If you make a psyche eval appointment, steer clear of Dr. Ragy Slime, he's not a 2nd supporter.

Last edited by REYisKING; 04-22-2018 at 10:28 AM..
Old 04-22-2018, 5:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REYisKING View Post
Finally got mine in Feb after some psyche test drama. The Sheriffs dept. is really great and have streamlined their process online. I got a psyche eval that went sideways. I have no history of violence, no traffic infractions (I hold a CDL) and have full custody of my child. Dr. said I was a risk taker(like speeding) and have tendencies toward violence. The Sheriff let me appeal and get a second opinion. The new doc disagreed with the previous one and was confused with his conclusion. She found me "suitable'. If you make a psyche eval appointment, steer clear of Dr. Ragy Slime, he's not a 2nd supporter.
Have you ever thought about a career in LE? You sound like a good fit.

That's probably why the sheriff let you appeal: when he heard that he was thinking that describes most of his officers. Who would go into LE if that didn't have some of that in them.

Last edited by Paladin; 04-22-2018 at 5:15 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM

Default San Benito CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Have you ever thought about a career in LE? You sound like a good fit.

That's probably why the sheriff let you appeal: when he heard that he was thinking that describes most of his officers. Who would go into LE if that didn't have some of that in them.
Ha! Thanks. Funny thing is quite a few people form HS thought I became a cop. I have family in LE. Thats someting I should have addressed in my mid 20's. At my mid 40's might be too late for that career. Though it's a rewarding profession and pays well, I see the toll it takes on everyone. Everyone who is connected to that officer takes that sacrifice with him/her. I have nothing but respect for Blue.

Last edited by REYisKING; 04-23-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 7:25 PM

Turned in my application online yesterday and it let me schedule my appointment at the sheriffs office next week. Had to take the day off from work but it’s worth it.
Old 05-01-2018, 6:10 PM

Had a good experience at the appointment-
A couple of things- have your dealer record of sale (DROS) for each firearm that you want on the permit-good cause should be a little more detailed. Self protection is too general
Old 05-29-2018, 2:34 PM

Took the written test. Was just over 2 hours. 567 questions. Just need to make an appointment at the psychologist office. Additional info– they will contact your spouse,employer and the 3 people on your character reference letters.
Old 06-20-2018, 5:42 PM

Complete the in person interview with therapist. Went ok. I could tell the “Doctor” was anti 2A but some of the questions were
How many guns you have
Would you be able to kill someone
How you store your guns
Who do you live with
Do you have voices telling you what to do
Have you ever been arrested
How often you drink
Do you do drugs
What would you do if you couldn’t bring your gun in somewhere
Have you been a victim of domestic violence or had be a victim of violence

Everything on my end is completely done. Hopefully I hear back from the sheriffs department soon

Ps. I believe it helps to have a Utah ccw before applying
Old 06-25-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A car View Post
Complete the in person interview with therapist. Went ok. I could tell the “Doctor” was anti 2A but some of the questions were
How many guns you have
Would you be able to kill someone
How you store your guns
Who do you live with
Do you have voices telling you what to do
Have you ever been arrested
How often you drink
Do you do drugs
What would you do if you couldn’t bring your gun in somewhere
Have you been a victim of domestic violence or had be a victim of violence

Everything on my end is completely done. Hopefully I hear back from the sheriffs department soon

Ps. I believe it helps to have a Utah ccw before applying
Mahurkar is your best bet. "raGy sliMe" is a no-go.
Old 07-17-2018, 2:22 PM

Just picked up my permit today. The process took about 6-7 weeks. Probably could of been faster if I had all my ducks in a row. Really nice experience at the San Benito Sheriff’s office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2018, 4:19 PM

Wow I picked mine up today too.

Additional notes
Use character references from people you know are available to pick up the phone. If they have to play phone tag it will definitely add a couple of week.

Once the process is complete you will get an email so you can pay the balance. Once that’s done the sheriffs office will call to set up a time for you to go in and get your picture taken and a paper permit an additional one will mailed to you. The paper one you should have laminated since you have to carry both with you
Old 07-17-2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Wow I picked mine up today too.

Additional notes
Use character references from people you know are available to pick up the phone. If they have to play phone tag it will definitely add a couple of week.

Once the process is complete you will get an email so you can pay the balance. Once that’s done the sheriffs office will call to set up a time for you to go in and get your picture taken and a paper permit an additional one will mailed to you. The paper one you should have laminated since you have to carry both with you

Yay!

I’ve been coming back to this feed as I’ve been going through the process. Thanks so much A car for posting about your experiences. You were just a few days before me for everything (interviews, psych test/eval). It really helped me prep for my meetings and made the process much smoother for me.

One thing to add, they took my picture and will be sending a CCW ID card in the mail.

Look forward to doing the renewal process with you in 2 years.

Old 07-18-2018, 6:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Howdy guys. Picked mine up yesterday as well- bet we were all passing each other going in/out. Bill's a good guy- enjoyed the process and he kept me informed all along, went very quickly too.
Old 07-18-2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom&Liberty View Post
Yay!

I’ve been coming back to this feed as I’ve been going through the process. Thanks so much A car for posting about your experiences. You were just a few days before me for everything (interviews, psych test/eval). It really helped me prep for my meetings and made the process much smoother for me.

One thing to add, they took my picture and will be sending a CCW ID card in the mail.

Look forward to doing the renewal process with you in 2 years.

Thanks for letting me know my notes on the process helped. I really didn't know if my efforts were making a difference for someone. I’m glad they did
Old 07-18-2018, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalBusa View Post
Howdy guys. Picked mine up yesterday as well- bet we were all passing each other going in/out. Bill's a good guy- enjoyed the process and he kept me informed all along, went very quickly too.
Crazy how 3 of us got our permits the same day!
Old 07-19-2018, 4:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Crazy how 3 of us got our permits the same day!
Methinks "batches" is the system, especially with Bill's schedule. I saw a couple more sitting on his desk- don't know if they were you guy's or maybe folks not on CalGuns. As I recall, they do about 45 or so a month.
Old 07-25-2018, 8:13 AM

Does anyone know if I’m allowed to do internal modifications to a firearm on my CCW? I’m thinking of installing a new trigger.

Old 07-25-2018, 8:31 AM

Nvm it’s way easier to just ask Bill. He got back to me within 2 mins

Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does anyone know if I’m allowed to do internal modifications to a firearm on my CCW? I’m thinking of installing a new trigger.

If it is not on your CCW as prohibited and its remains a legal weapon, you can do it. Asking just might prompt them into thinking they need to get more involved and have a "list" regarding all mods. Don't do it.

Last edited by NorCalBusa; 08-09-2018 at 7:25 PM..
Old 07-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
If it is not on your CCW as prohibited and its remains a legal weapon, you can do it. Asking just might prompt them into thinking they need to get more involved and have a "list" regarding all mods. Don't do it.

Pretty much exact answer I got from Bill. He just mentioned to qualify for the firearm after the mods for any firearm and to make sure the kids are legal. I’ll leave it at that.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Pretty much exact answer I got from Bill. He just mentioned to qualify for the firearm after the mods for any firearm and to make sure the kids are legal. I’ll leave it at that.

Lol auto correct is the worst.

Old 07-25-2018, 8:13 PM

😂lol
Old 08-09-2018, 7:13 PM

San Benito definitely has its stuff together. My CCW expired on 1 August the same date I submitted my renewal paperwork. Nine days later I'm notified that my renewal is approved. Stellar performance in my book. Next steps: pick up license and commence operation legal carry.
Old 08-09-2018, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
San Benito definitely has its stuff together. My CCW expired on 1 August the same date I submitted my renewal paperwork. Nine days later I'm notified that my renewal is approved. Stellar performance in my book. Next steps: pick up license and commence operation legal carry.
I'm picking up my replacement one with the new P365 added next week Rick- let's grab a coffee. I'll find out when exactly Tuesday sometime, but it's ready to go. I'll give you a shout when I know.
Old 03-26-2019, 2:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Awfully quiet in Hollister town...
Old 03-26-2019, 4:23 PM

That's what happens when folks move out of CA, Idaho in my case. I've got to wait another month to get my Idaho Enhanced CCW since I tore up my CA CCW the day after I moved. No big deal; just means the regular license is only recognized in ID.
Old 03-02-2020, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did my re-qualify over the weekend with NorCalMedTac @ Markley's Watsonville. 3/5/7/10 yards, one mag per gun. Big turnout, around 18 people.
Old 03-23-2020, 2:48 AM

Does anyone have Bills contact info like his ext. or email.?
I misplaced his business card he gave me from 2 years ago.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 03-23-2020 at 2:51 AM..
Old 03-23-2020, 3:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check your PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 4:55 AM

Thanks got your message.

For anyone else he is out until April 7th or until this mess is over.
Old 04-08-2020, 9:56 PM

Anyone applying for a CCW/Renewal in SBC should check out Civilian Defense Group. It’s a drive out to the ranch Dana and Dane have just past Tres Pinos, but worth it. There’s a bit of off roading to get there which was kind fun.

Also when you do your psyche eval steer clear of Dr. raGy sliMe, that guy is an Obama clone.
Old 09-09-2021, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Crickets around here...crickets. San Benito does a fine job, so no surprise.
Old 11-06-2021, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Crickets around here...crickets. San Benito does a fine job, so no surprise.
Been meaning to start the process, just been lagging(house remodel, new baby, blah blah blah). Is the new sheriff issuing like Thompson was? And any recommendations for a CCW course?
Old 11-06-2021, 9:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked K5 View Post
Been meaning to start the process, just been lagging(house remodel, new baby, blah blah blah). Is the new sheriff issuing like Thompson was? And any recommendations for a CCW course?
Yes, the program is unchanged and new Sheriff Taylor is a really good guy. The fellow running the SO's CCW program is Bill Barrett. Hit their website for CCW information; https://sanbenitoca.permitium.com/ccw/start It includes a list of vendors they have approved to train and other details.

For the training, local(-ish) is the guys that have an outdoor range off Panoche Rd. (but I don't believe that's where the classes are- just the shooting); Civilian Defense Group, www.civiliandefensegroup.com

I did mine years ago and use Brannon owner of NorCal Medtac, out of Scotts Valley but uses Markley's in Watsonville for classes. www.norcalmedtac.com

The most challenging part is finding a place to practice. Markley's range is closed, so head for the hills (with permission) or drive to San Jose or Los Gatos (or Laguna Seca but I think that place sucks).

Last edited by NorCalBusa; 11-06-2021 at 9:04 AM..
Old 06-03-2022, 7:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Renewed again. I sent the packet in 5 weeks ago, knowing I was a bit early. Called Tuesday and they said yep- mine is due in a month so we're starting that pile today and yep- it was on top of the pile.

The very next day, "Hey, come get your renewal buster". Great service and comfortable process from the pro's at San Benito!

Last edited by NorCalBusa; 11-15-2022 at 4:46 PM..
Old 10-13-2022, 1:30 PM

Looking at the sheriff's website it looks like there is no "Good Cause" in San Benito. Is that right? If there is no Good Cause review then is there only a background check and a psych check?
Old 10-24-2022, 7:42 PM

What’s up San Benito! Looking for a local place to shoot. That civil defense classes look good.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:52 AM

https://www.markleysguns.com/ is in Watsonville. It is the closest commercial range to Hollister that I have found. They also host CCW classes.