Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty1 View Post
Your probably right....
Actually? it was a miss-quote.

The correct quote was:

"The CMP stated that they sold more M1 Garands to Citizens trapped within the Soviet Province of Californicatestan, far and away, than to ALL other free States AND Soviet Provinces in the Country Combined.

I am . . . remiss.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 03-27-2017, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

It sounds like the Mini-14 Target with a tuned dampener and the right ammo is the one that will shoot into sub-moa. I might try that one scoped since they can be found right at $700 even locally here and online.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
The CMP stated that they sold more M1 Garands to Citizens trapped within the Soviet Province of Californicatestan, far and away, than to any other free State or Soviet Province in the Country.

Given the limited and diminishing availability of $700 CMP M1 Garands, combined with the current tyranny w/r/t AR's and AK's within the Soviet Province?

. . . I'd say that the Mini-14 will be THE Carbine of the Soviet Province of Californicatestan for the foreseeable future.

GR
I agree as someone who still lives here i'm also looking at ARES SCR as well as Kel-Tec SU16's. I just don't want an AR with wraps and a mag I can't drop and have to break open to reload sorry. The rifles I listed all have their own issues , accuracy , build and high price but would do in a pinch if needed imo.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Mehhhhh... i have no issue with ak and grip wrap.

If i wanted to.5.56 a grip wrap is far superior then hanging a vibrator on the barrel, crappy mag selection and terrible optic mounting options, along with half dozen other far superior and actually useful customized items like triggers and irons and mbuis options.

Its all an opinion with some based on actual facts like wide spread parts availability and prices the ar wins easily.

Personally I like my sks far more then the mini 14 . Different caliber..i know but "feature less" from the start.

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 03-27-2017, 10:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
grip wrap is far superior then hanging a vibrator on the barrel, crappy mag selection and terrible optic mounting options, along with half dozen other far superior and actually useful customized items like triggers and irons and mbuis options.
No, it isn't a vibrator. It i s an anti-vibrator, hahah.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

i usually call it the non vibrating type Bilbo ..but wasn't sure if I would get banned: )

2x SKS Trench Art $480 & $500
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...8#post28101198
Old 03-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post
I agree as someone who still lives here i'm also looking at ARES SCR as well as Kel-Tec SU16's. I just don't want an AR with wraps and a mag I can't drop and have to break open to reload sorry. The rifles I listed all have their own issues , accuracy , build and high price but would do in a pinch if needed imo.
I agree with this totally. I have all of the above rifles including AR, Mini 14 Kel-Tec SU16 CA, and in a few days my SCR will be done.

I have about $1100 in my AR and the SCR will be right there as well. I realize you can build a budget AR for less but the vast majority of guns that are used in Comps are in the $1000+ range easily. My AR is a Bushmaster Carbon 15 which was about $750 to start and then I added Magpul furniture and a Magpul Rear Sight and a Front Sight and a Red Dot and a sling and a bunch of magazines and a case to hold all of it,,, and is now at more than $1100. So that's the way these things go. They are Ubiquitous like VW Bugs were in the 60's and 70's and nobody leaves one stock for long.

I only paid $400 for my SU 16 because the guy at the shop really liked me and it was on consignment. It already had the M4 Handguard and YHM Muzzle Break on it as well as a cheap red dot. I changed the Red Dot to a TRS-25 and added a sling, and the gun has performed well above expectations ever since. It even has a Chrome Lined Bore! I have about $700 in it now.

I got my Mini 14 lightly used as well for $600 and once I toned down the gas system a little, the accuracy came into more than an acceptable level at <2moa with my standard handloads.

So of all the guns mentioned above the SCR is the one with the most promise, as it has all the functionality of an AR with none of the drawbacks..

I realize that you can buy/build and AR for less, but you will have to morph it to satisfy the turds in Sac. That alone makes that gun very unwieldy and less than what an AR should be. It removes all of the Tactical Advantages and Ergonomics the gun normally possesses . Anything that in any way impedes the operation of that gun is a Deal Killer IMHO and is the reason that the other three guns become more attractive.

I first saw an SCR at the Ventura Gun Show a year or so ago. It was a first gen gun and the first thing I noted was no BHO. I still should have bought it at $500! but I passed. The next show they were asking $800 for the exact same gun! I saw the potential at that time and knew that I had to have one.

I have finally gotten one of these lowers and along with the PSA Dissipator Upper with a 1:7 twist barrel the gun should be deadly accurate, and more so than any of the other guns I have.

However since I can hit an 8x10 steel target every single time at 200 yards off a rest and 8/10 at 300 with any of these guns,,, none of them are in anyway a handicap when looked at in the context of their intended purpose.

The Mini 14 would make the best club if you ran out of ammo, the KT the worst and the AR's somewhere in between.

I feel that training goes a long way towards making up for any short comings of any given Weapons System, and Training in proper context IE: Competition, makes for some of the best training out there.

I only wish they had the kind of local Competitions 40 years ago that they have now.

We'd all be parts of a real formidable group of people.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-27-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Old 03-27-2017, 11:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
I agree with this totally. I have all of the above rifles including AR, Mini 14 Kel-Tec SU16 CA, and in a few days my SCR will be done.
I have all the above too, and many AR's. There's a much larger group that has no experience with the rifles they bad mouth. IMHO.

Where did you find the SCR lower? I got my Gen2 a while back ordered online.
Old 03-28-2017, 3:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Mini for the win ~
Old 03-28-2017, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
Mehhhhh... i have no issue with ak and grip wrap.

If i wanted to.5.56 a grip wrap is far superior then hanging a vibrator on the barrel, crappy mag selection and terrible optic mounting options, along with half dozen other far superior and actually useful customized items like triggers and irons and mbuis options.

Its all an opinion with some based on actual facts like wide spread parts availability and prices the ar wins easily.

Personally I like my sks far more then the mini 14 . Different caliber..i know but "feature less" from the start.
Huh. . .

My 582-series has no "vibrator" or need for one. Every one of my Factory Mags run perfectly. The Carbine came with both very nice integral scope rings and a Picatinny rail.

No, it's not a Barbie-doll.

Sorry.

GR

Old 03-28-2017, 9:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandimal View Post
No, it's not a Barbie-doll.

Sorry.

So where do I put my AFG???
Old 03-28-2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
I realize that you can buy/build and AR for less, but you will have to morph it to satisfy the turds in Sac. That alone makes that gun very unwieldy and less than what an AR should be. It removes all of the Tactical Advantages and Ergonomics the gun normally possesses . Anything that in any way impedes the operation of that gun is a Deal Killer IMHO and is the reason that the other three guns become more attractive.

Randy
Yes by no means am I putting down an AR I just don't like the fact that it isn't an AR anymore if that makes sense? Right now i'm a novice but have some help from a friend who isn't and am going between buying a full SCR or maybe building a lower or do something with a Thorsden. May also take a trip down to San Diego in a weekend or two and check out Wilde Built Tactical. I hear they have some featureless builds not on their website or the can build for you.

I haven't owned anything good since the late 90's sold everything and am now doing it again lol. Haven't owned anything like an AR since I was in the suck back in the 80's and that was Government issued. I've always liked and owned Shotguns and .22's but want something in .223 now.

Last edited by M60A1Rise; 03-28-2017 at 4:02 PM..
Old 03-28-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
So where do I put my AFG???
Well. . .

If that's an Annoying Fat Girlfriend?

I would suggest leaving her at home.

GR

Old 03-29-2017, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I have all the above too, and many AR's. There's a much larger group that has no experience with the rifles they bad mouth. IMHO.

Where did you find the SCR lower? I got my Gen2 a while back ordered online.
I went directly to Fight Lite and talked to Dalane in sales. She fixed me right up and the gun shipped in 6 days after my order. It will be out of DROS in a few days.

I jst checked and Brownell's still has some Monte Carlo ones available. as of 10:15AM Wed 3/29/17

I already have my upper and most everything to get it going. Should be a cool gun.

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-29-2017 at 9:15 AM..
Old 03-29-2017, 9:22 AM
In Memoriam

For the best information on the web about the Mini is
www.perfectunion.com, over 180,000 postings about the Mini
Best source for all information on the Mini.
Don't waste your time anywhere else.
Old 03-29-2017, 9:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I went directly to Fight Lite and talked to Dalane in sales. She fixed me right up and the gun shipped in 6 days after my order. It will be out of DROS in a few days.

I jst checked and Brownell's still has some Monte Carlo ones available. as of 10:15AM Wed 3/29/17

I already have my upper and most everything to get it going. Should be a cool gun.

Randy
What did you pay direct?
Old 03-29-2017, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
For the best information on the web about the Mini is
www.perfectunion.com, over 180,000 postings about the Mini
Best source for all information on the Mini.
Don't waste your time anywhere else.
That's the Right Place!

Crufflers: It was $619 from the factory, and $604 from Brownell's, and if you get the Brownell's Gunsmith discount it is $541.

When I ordered it from the factory, because Brownell's didn't have any stock. I waited a whole 6 days for the factory to ship my Sporter Version.AS you probably know there are 3 versions of the lower kit. Short Sporter, Regular Sporter, and Monte Carlo. Point being for an Extra $15 I got what I wanted quickly, and didn't have to contend with a waiting list.

I could have gotten the gunsmith price but they still don't have stock on what I wanted so I paid extra to get it, and not have to wait.

I have a Front Sight Trip Scheduled for 4/14 and I will take this gun to that class. It wouldn't have happened any other way.

I'm taking my Mini 14 as well and will shoot both.

Randy.
Old 03-29-2017, 3:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's the Right Place!

Crufflers: It was $619 from the factory, and $604 from Brownell's, and if you get the Brownell's Gunsmith discount it is $541.
Thanks for the info. Looks like they are selling out again because when I had it in my cart it said it might be a backorder due to low stock. I have the normal Sporter stock and was considering adding a Montecarlo. I think they also have some nice wood laminate versions coming out soon. A blue one would look pretty good.

Brownells was $584 shipped with the L9Q code with $30 off and free shipping, but looks like I am passing on this batch. It is nice to see they are actually shipping these lowers lately. I think when I got my Sporter lower it was $470, IIRC.