Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-31-2013, 9:22 AM

Default AAR, LMS Defense- Knife Defense Clinic 19 Oct 2013

On 19 Oct 2013, LMS Defense hosted Edgar Gabriel with ADF, http://www.academydefensefitness.com...adf.html#staff, for a Knife Defense Clinic in Oroville, CA.

This was the first public offering of this class and eye opening material related to medium to close quarters fighting was shared. We had 6 attendees in the at the LMS Northern California Training facility which offered a 360 degree dynamic training environment.

We started the day by introducing the topic of empty-hand self-defense and then moved into knife defense, including situational awareness, OODA loop concept, and mindset needed to fend off a knife attack.

After doing a brief overview of the basic fighting stances, types of reactions to an attack (fight, flight, or freeze), and combatives, we warmed up by executing the various combatives they had just learned. Using kick shields, we executed punches, palm/heel strikes, hammer fists, elbows, and front groin kicks.

When the group was warmed-up, we worked on attacks (putting together different combative combinations) while focusing on scanning, which ultimately would turn into the counterattack when defending.

Once everyone felt comfortable with attacks, we moved onto empty self defense. Various defense techniques were discussed, demonstrated, and then executed by the group. The drills included defense against open hand, defense with bursting, stress drills, defense against circular, straight, and low line punches.

After a short break for lunch we came back and moved onto knife defense. We had a short discussion on the mindset of a knife attacker, types of knife attacks (slash versus stab), and types of knife grips (heaven versus earth). As the knife (or any weapon) is an extension of the body, the empty-hand defense techniques that were learned could easily be translated to knife defense techniques.

We worked on various knife attack encounters, starting at a slow speed and moving to full speed. And then incorporated the knife grips. With the various knife attacks, the group experimented with the empty-hand defense techniques they had just learned to see which defense would be most effective against the different knife attacks.

Once everyone had gained some comfort level, we moved onto situational drills. The 360 degree dynamic environment enabled the group to apply knife encounters from a reality-based perspective.

Overall, this was a great seminar which exceeded the group's expectations. The material was received really well and there were requests for more seminars of this type of training. Future dates will be posted on www.lmsdefense.com/schedule soon. Stay safe, stay vigilant.

Thank you to the following businesses who are friends to LMS Defense:

California Safe Company
http://www.californiasafeco.com/

Slip 2000
http://www.slip2000.com/

XGO
http://www.proxgo.com/

ADF (Academy of Combative Defensive Fitness)
www.academydefensefitness.com
Cell: (530)403-9420
Email: JoshJackson@LMSDefense.com
www.LMSDefense.com
Old 10-31-2013, 9:31 AM

Cell: (530)403-9420
Email: JoshJackson@LMSDefense.com
www.LMSDefense.com
Old 10-31-2013, 8:25 PM

Talking Excellent class, a real eye opener!

The October 19 "Knife Self Defense" Class was a real eye opener! In addition to highlighting the need for superior cardiovascular fitness in order to be able to sustain an "encounter", the need for through study and mastery of a myriad of mixed martial arts becomes apparent through this initial introductory level class/seminar.

This class is excellent in promoting "development of mindset", and diagnosing where an individual lies in terms of individual "combatives". (What you naturally do when attacked).

Individual style is respected and promoted, and excellent "take away" techniques are broken down and taught in a step wise fashion. Hand and full body combative techniques were transitioned into the use of "tools" effectively.

The white board marker fights were epic in terms of creatively demonstrating the aftermath of a knife fight to combatants who were involved or observing. Take away: Avoid a knife fight if at all possible but once you are in, you are in 100%.

The "king of the mountain" training exercise is both superior cardiovascular conditioning and positive 360 degree awareness training.

I would take this class again and got a ton of useful information and training from it.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:01 AM

My son and I attended the course and I have to say that it really exceeded our expectations - practical, energetic, fun and friendly. Edgar and Gabriel were fabulous instructors and the class size was just right. Love the training facility and exercises in dark hallways really reflected real world situations.

I'm planning on taking the course again with my daughter when she is home from college - the skills taught in this course could save your life one day.

Phil
Old 11-03-2013, 4:49 PM

We started the class with some basic Krav Maga hand-to-hand training. The hand-to-hand was the building block to what we would need to learn against a knife attach. These building blocks consist of both blocking the knife wielding hand and simultaneously striking the attackers face and disrupting his flow. We worked on movement and getting out of the line of attack.

We started off with single threats, and moved to full mob attacks both emptied handed and with a weapon. Crash pads were used to simulate physical blows to the body to created stress and get the heart and blood pumping. This class was not your square range 2D threat but a full 360 full interactive force on force scenario.

After getting the heart rate up we returned to the classroom and started working on and learning about the zones of attacks. We learned about the different angles of attacks and how to defend against them. The basic of what we learn in the beginning of the day was now being applied. After a few rounds of practice we had a chance to test the new skills we acquired.

We squared up toe to toe against each other with a white tee shirt and marker in hand. The maker was used to visualize the slashes or puncture wounds we gave and received.

I had the fortune or misfortune to square up with Evolving_gal. She was aggressive, and did not hesitate to strike me. I took some slashes and punctures, but likewise she the same. When she stumbled, I did not hesitate to take advantage of the situation. I pinned her and did a few rounds to the back of her kidneys.

Lessons learned:
• A woman is just as dangerous with a blade or more so then a 250lbs. linemen
• If an opportunity presents itself take it
• You better be switched on

Next drill we worked on was in a semi dark hallway, something that we could encounter in the real world. The dark hallway provides minimum visibility, and tight quarters. This forces our senses into overdrive, and made use go from observe to act, skipping the orient and decide in the OODA loop. We worked on weapon identification in the semi-lite room, and then a course of action. Each threat chose their own way to engage you, either direct action or covert assault. It was up to you on how best to address the issue at hand. This kept it dynamic and real. After everyone had his or her run at dark hallway, we squared up again in the dark hallway.

Again I had the fortune or misfortune to square up with Evolving_gal. From the start she went straight and puncture me a few times in the left side of my ribs with the marker. I was able to grab a hold of her and run a few line across her jugular. She also draw a pretty line down the left side of my throat.

Lessons Learned:

• Do not meet Evolving _gal in a dark hallway
• Never give in; you are the first and last line of defense
• Mindset

After the dark hallway scenario, we returned to the classroom for more drills.

The next drill is called the “Captain Kirk Drill”. Essentially you are trying to get your knife hand free from his grip and, incapacitate him before he adds extra ventilation holes in you. In this drill you are to feel the movement of your opponent and act accordingly. If your muscles are constantly tension then you will fatigue faster and that will create an opening for which you will pay dearly.

Lessons Learned:

• Feel your opponent; predict his actions to your movement
• Strike when the opportunity presents itself
• Finish what the other person has started

Next drill we learn was a flow drill with the blade tip downward. This drill had both partners either blocking or attacking. The intention of this drill was to work on the reaction time of the practitioners.

Last drill of the day was “King of the Mountain”. 3 man in the ring, when one is hit the next person comes in. This went on for what seem like forever. Purpose of this drill was situational awareness and breaking tunnel vision, not only are you facing two opponents but also someone can get you from the back.

Lessons Learned:

• At times I was so focus (tunnel vision) on taking down the king of the mountain that I was hit from behind. Costly mistake
• Tone down the aggression; I went for what I perceived as the alpha male and ignore the rest, got cut down. Costly Mistake.
• Situational awareness overall

With this drill, class was concluded.

Edgar Gabriel and Ricardo Duque made the class fun, and informative. But above all open a few eyes about the reality of close combat with a bladed weapon.