Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-17-2011, 8:49 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default 3-Gun Shooting

Any of you ladies compete in this discipline (pistol, rifle, and shotgun)? I was watching the Outdoors Channel last night and thought it looked like fun.

If you do, where and who do you train with?

Like IDPA, the CRPA is looking into other shooting disciplines that women might want to participate in. Thanks for your input!

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM

I don't do it, but it does sound like fun! Let me know if you find out more information!
Old 03-18-2011, 4:16 PM

weomi has done one so far at corona sportsmans club.. 5th sunday.. next time we have a 5th sunday is in may.. unless shes on fire im pretty sure she will be shoot that one as well..
ill see if i can get her to give some womans insite on it.. shes got a wicked case of "wedding madness" and has been ignoring calguns..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 03-18-2011, 5:43 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterthehero View Post
weomi has done one so far at corona sportsmans club.. 5th sunday.. next time we have a 5th sunday is in may.. unless shes on fire im pretty sure she will be shoot that one as well..
ill see if i can get her to give some womans insite on it.. shes got a wicked case of "wedding madness" and has been ignoring calguns..
Yes, thank you. I know nothing about the rules, amount of ammo, or firearms restrictions. When I saw the way the female competitor on TV had her shotgun shells on her belt, I thought that was a pretty nifty way to do it.

I'm going to be at the Richmond IDPA in May in the Bay Area, so I'll ask there too. I think they hold 3-Gun matches as well as Chabot.

Old 03-18-2011, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Bear in mind that IDPA and USPSA have different rule for 3-gun

Being the odd duck I am, I thought it would be fun to shoot my AK (47 or 74) and FN SLP (semi-auto) Mk-1 with a red dot sight...then I find out it is a bad combo. IDPA requires a pump action shotgun, USPSA puts a red-dot sighted shotgun in Open...which means I'd have to add a scope and a red dot to the rifle.

The only good news I've discovered from talking to folks who compete is that the handgun is still the difference maker (hardest to shoot well)...that and finding the most effective way to reload the shotgun

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 03-19-2011 at 1:26 PM..
Old 03-19-2011, 7:27 AM
In Memoriam

The Sac Valley IDPA club, Sacramento Defensive Pistol Shooters, SDPS, is going to hold 3 IDPA 3 gun matches this year. One is in June, 2nd weekend. They had a beginners class on 3 gun for new shooters, and will probably hold another one before the next match. They have a lady shooter who has just gotten hooked on 3 gun. I sent her an email to get in touch with you about 3 Gun. The USPSA club will have a 3 gun match on Memorial Day. You could come out and watch. It is not a beginners match. IDPA is a great place to get started in 3 gun. Pumps are not required in IDPA, semi auto shotguns are fine in IDPA 3 gun.

Last edited by 3GunFunShooter; 03-19-2011 at 7:29 AM..
Old 03-19-2011, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey thanks...so I'll be able to use my SLP (got rid of all my pumps a while back)

I'm going to smack Duane in the back of the head the next time I see him
Old 03-19-2011, 4:41 PM

i've done one three gun at corona sportsmans. it's a great way to try it out without shelling out a ton of money and it's not as intense as IDPA, etc.

i would definately do it again. i am definately not as proficient with a shotgun or rifle as i am with a handgun, but i feel like it's good to practice with a little pressure with the others. same fundamentals, just different. it's really easy to get flustered over something small going wrong and having the whole thing throw you off.

that being said, i prefer tactical handgun, but three gun is fun too. i say give it a go. corona sportsman's next 3 gun will be in may. it's $15 plus whatever you spend on your ammo. http://www.coronasportsmensclub.com/...thread.php?t=8

we can always use more female participation at any of the events.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 PM

Steyrlp10!! I'll see you at the richmond match!!! Yeah, it'll be great to meet you!

I shot a 3-gun uspsa match today! Pretty freaking awesome!!! It was my first time I was just gonna watch but ended up playing too! It was fairly challenging however all good times!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:12 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveCookieMonsta View Post
Steyrlp10!! I'll see you at the richmond match!!! Yeah, it'll be great to meet you!

I shot a 3-gun uspsa match today! Pretty freaking awesome!!! It was my first time I was just gonna watch but ended up playing too! It was fairly challenging however all good times!
You go girl! I have a lot of reading to do to understand what exactly is going on, but best of luck to you in May! I have two Sectional matches in Sac tomorrow and just started to get my gear together. Dragging my other half too since he calls it, "Watching paint dry." Lol!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 PM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Bear in mind that IDPA and USPSA have different rule for 3-gun

Being the odd duck I am, I thought it would be fun to shoot my AK (47 or 74) and FN SLP (semi-auto) Mk-1 with a red dot sight...then I find out it is a bad combo. IDPA requires a pump action shotgun, USPSA puts a red-dot sighted shotgun in Open...which means I'd have to add a scope and a red dot to the rifle.

The only good news I've discovered from talking to folks who compete is that the handgun is still the difference maker (hardest to shoot well)...that and finding the most effective way to reload the shotgun
Thanks, good to know. I spent so many years with Conventional and International Bullseye that these other disciplines are like learning a new language

Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Calguns Addict

We'll have to sit down over coffee some time and I'll give you the instructor's overview from two handed shooters.

Where do you guys shoot up in Sac...Mangnum?
Old 03-20-2011, 5:15 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
We'll have to sit down over coffee some time and I'll give you the instructor's overview from two handed shooters.

Where do you guys shoot up in Sac...Mangnum?
Yep, going to James Mangan. Rod's never been to that range and the last time I shot Free there was probably 15 years ago. That's when I didn't have a life, but shot very well - go figure - lol

I now have a very fun life, crossfire only on people's targets who I really, really like, and catch more fish than 10s

I'm still trying to help him understand the difference in distances and rules between Conventional and International. Bet I'm going to be like that with Action Pistol!

Old 04-15-2011, 9:27 AM
Banned

There are 3 types of sanctioned 3 gun mathces in the US. USPSA MultiGun, IDPA DMG (new) and 'Outlaw' 3 gun, such as Superstition Mystery Mountain and the DPMS Tri Challenge. All have different gun divisions, classifications, scoring and rules. There are also major sub varients of the outlaw matches, so called Texas rules. Be prepared to spend some major $$$ playing 3 gun.

The only good news I've discovered from talking to folks who compete is that the handgun is still the difference maker (hardest to shoot well).

Actually all USPSA and Outlaw matches are always won by the rifle stages, IDPA is too new to tell how it will roll. And shooting a shotgun is not about shooting, it's about loading quickly and managing ammo. You cannot win a 3 gun match with a pistol, but you could loose it. 9mmepiphany, you can run a semi auto shotgun in IDPA DMG in ESG or EPPC division. IDPA does not allow dots at all, and yes, any optic would put you into Open for both USPSA and Outlaw.

For more info, go to

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=86

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2011_Mult...12_15_2010.pdf

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPA_D...s_07062010.pdf

http://www.smm3gun.com/Rules/2011/IM...ember-2010.pdf

Last edited by HighLander51; 04-15-2011 at 9:39 AM..
Old 04-15-2011, 9:52 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
There are 3 types of sanctioned 3 gun mathces in the US. USPSA MultiGun, IDPA DMG (new) and 'Outlaw' 3 gun, such as Superstition Mystery Mountain and the DPMS Tri Challenge. All have different gun divisions, classifications, scoring and rules. There are also major sub varients of the outlaw matches, so called Texas rules. Be prepared to spend some major $$$ playing 3 gun.

The only good news I've discovered from talking to folks who compete is that the handgun is still the difference maker (hardest to shoot well).

Actually all USPSA and Outlaw matches are always won by the rifle stages, IDPA is too new to tell how it will roll. And shooting a shotgun is not about shooting, it's about loading quickly and managing ammo. You cannot win a 3 gun match with a pistol, but you could loose it. 9mmepiphany, you can run a semi auto shotgun in IDPA DMG in ESG or EPPC division. IDPA does not allow dots at all, and yes, any optic would put you into Open for both USPSA and Outlaw.

For more info, go to

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=86

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2011_Mult...12_15_2010.pdf

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPA_D...s_07062010.pdf

http://www.smm3gun.com/Rules/2011/IM...ember-2010.pdf

Thanks very much... the CRPA would like to get involved in a State Championship in this type of discipline if we can get some contacts going. I appreciate your help

Old 05-10-2011, 11:09 AM

Ive shot Cowboy maches beforeand the shotgun beats me up to much.