Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-15-2012, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Default How to bolt a safe to a wood floor?

I'd like to bolt down a safe to the wood floor in a closet. It's in a house that's about a hundred years old. I don't think I'll be able to access the underside of the floor.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
Most homes will have a crawl space under the house if they are built on a subfloor. Just because you have wood floors doesn't mean it's not built on a slab of some type. Given the fact that it's 100 years old, it's probably got a crawl space. Find the crawl space first then get back to us for some bolting down ideas. If no crawl space, then it's on some type of a slab/stone foundation. Either way confirm whats under the flooring and go from there. c good
There's definitely a crawl space. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to go down there, because it's extremely narrow. I'm pretty sure I'll fit, though.

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore; 01-15-2012 at 4:25 PM..
Old 01-15-2012, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

The first thing is to see if you can actually access the underside of the floor rather than not being sure.

There are expanding metal parts at the hardware store, which could be used. I hope you own the house though.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-15-2012, 1:35 PM

Look at not bolting the safe to the floor. Instead, get a piece of metal plate that is 3/8 to 1/2inch thick.. Cut it to be bigger than the access / door to the room you want to put it in and bigger than the safe. Then bolt the safe to the plate. If your floor will handle the weight, which it should because the weight is spread out. If the people that try to steal the safe, they cant get it out of the door. Just an idea
Old 01-15-2012, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

HS, that is a capital idea!!!!

If you are deternined to fasten the safe to the wood floor plain old lag screws should do the chore.
Old 01-15-2012, 3:14 PM

Most homes will have a crawl space under the house if they are built on a subfloor. Just because you have wood floors doesn't mean it's not built on a slab of some type. Given the fact that it's 100 years old, it's probably got a crawl space. Find the crawl space first then get back to us for some bolting down ideas. If no crawl space, then it's on some type of a slab/stone foundation. Either way confirm whats under the flooring and go from there. c good
Old 01-15-2012, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Shooter View Post
Look at not bolting the safe to the floor. Instead, get a piece of metal plate that is 3/8 to 1/2inch thick.. Cut it to be bigger than the access / door to the room you want to put it in and bigger than the safe. Then bolt the safe to the plate. If your floor will handle the weight, which it should because the weight is spread out. If the people that try to steal the safe, they cant get it out of the door. Just an idea
...... Niiiccceee
Old 01-15-2012, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
There's definitely a crawl space. I was just hoping that I wouldn't have to go down there, because it's extremely narrow. I guess the next question is, will I fit?

Edit: Yeah, I'll fit.

Last edited by Dreaded Claymore; 01-15-2012 at 4:24 PM..
Old 01-15-2012, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
that is an awesome idea regardless of wood floor or the actual location you want to place it
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 01-15-2012, 4:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thing is, you'd better be able to weld, and weld in that room. That's the only way you could make a metal plate that's too big to get out the door. Otherwise, you won't be able to get it in!
Old 01-15-2012, 4:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
Thing is, you'd better be able to weld, and weld in that room. That's the only way you could make a metal plate that's too big to get out the door. Otherwise, you won't be able to get it in!
Not at all. You place the plate in first, then the safe on top of it. It only would not fit out when it is bolted to the safe. You could also make it in pieces and it need not be attach to each other, only the safe.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-15-2012, 4:53 PM

If your already going under the house I would suggest installing something to support the added weight.
Old 01-15-2012, 5:11 PM
CGSSA Associate

When in the crawlspace, make sure there are no wires and plumbing in that location. Hitting something you're not supposed to can have really expensive consequences. Also take note of the sub floor, usually diagonal wood planks and try to bolt to different ones. If you can, also bolt it to as many walls as possible (I got lucky and my safe is bolted to 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 01-15-2012, 5:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
If your already going under the house I would suggest installing something to support the added weight.
agreed - add some concrete piers with 4x4 posts. I would drop long threaded bolts in from the top -long enough to clear the under side of the floor joist and bolt them to 2 steel plated under the floor joists.
Old 01-15-2012, 5:34 PM
Veteran Member

through bolt anchors, heavy steel plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
I have Paramilitary training
Old 02-18-2016, 9:31 AM

Each of these replies probably helped address your question. With a house that old, you want to make sure that the safe is not compromising the integrity of the floor. The safe itself will weigh quite a bit so you want to make sure that those floor boards can hold the weight. What do you intend to put in the safe? I ask because I would suggest not using a safe at all but instead using a good sized lockbox that you can conceal without having to compromise the integrity of the old house.

This article I read a while back was really informative on the different uses between safes and lockboxes. What I ended up doing was getting a lockbox and then investing in some high-quality locks to secure where I concealed them.

Hope this helps you out!
Old 02-18-2016, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Anchor it on two sides.. If you miss the floor joists, then use butterfly toggles...

Also drill the backside of the safe and lag into the wall studs...
Old 02-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Old 02-20-2016, 8:01 PM
Resident Leg Humper
CGN Contributor

^^^^ That's a cute little bolt

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

Old 02-20-2016, 8:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zartan View Post
^^^^ That's a cute little bolt
That's a fact, I agree.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 02-20-2016, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

The metal plate idea is nice for keeping the safe in the room, but that's not why you bolt them down. You do it so thieves can't knock the safe over. Once it's on it's back, a thief can get a pry bar in there with a lot of leverage and open the door in just a few minutes. If the safe is upright and the non-hinge side next to a wall, it's much harder to get in there with a pry bar and get any leverage.
Old 02-23-2016, 5:58 PM

hac d a double wide mobile home..crawled under with a piece of metal with a hole already drilled in it,drilled through the floor with the safe there,had the wife put a bolt 1/2 inch and bolted it down
Old 02-23-2016, 8:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Since the OP is from 2012, he probably already figured it out.

That said, I would probably use these:

http://www.diamondequipmentandsupply...TF-P24083.aspx
Old 02-24-2016, 8:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I used 2x10's long enough to span the joists and lag screwed the 2x10 into the joists with 6" lag screws (Its a old house so 4x6 floor joists when 4x6's were really 4x6), then I screwed the safe to the 2x10's with 3 3" lag screws and one 6" lag screw where it hit the floor joist. Then one on the back of the safe to a stud and one on the side to another stud, that thing is not moving without some serious work.