Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 06-07-2017, 6:52 AM

Default HELP

I am shooting a Rem model 700 w/ a Timney trigger, muzzle break and aftermarket recoil pad using BUFFALO-BARNES PREMIUM LEAD-FREE 300 WIN. MAG. SUPERCHARGED 200 gr. Barnes TSX @ 2900 fps/ME 3,734 ft. lbs. I am looking to upgrade my hunting scope to something like the NF ATACR 5-25x56mm scope Mil-R but question if this is too much glass for hunting with my rifle.

I am not proficient in LR shooting and trying to expand my effective range from 200 yards to at least 600 yards and ultimately 1000 yards (just so I can say I can do it...would not likely take a shot like that at an animal unless I had already put a bullet in it and needed a follow-up). In fact, the only reason I wanna be proficient to 600 yards is so I can feel confident taking an animal at 400-500. But setting that aside, what would be the outer limit for this rifle and ammo (best guess)? Could it actually be 1100 yards?

Secondly, for those who have no experience with tactical scopes and turrets...how steep is the learning curve to effectively using one?

Lastly, though I have not tried it, there is also an alternative I am considering, the BUFFALO-BARNES PREMIUM LEAD FREE 300 WIN. MAG. SUPERCHARGED BUFFALO-BARNES PREMIUM LEAD-FREE 300 WIN. MAG. SUPERCHARGED - 180 gr. Barnes TTSX @ 3100 fps/ME 3,840 ft. lbs. How much difference would this make in LR shooting IRL? Measurable?

Many thanks.
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Last edited by BC9696; 06-07-2017 at 7:01 AM..
Old 06-07-2017, 7:16 AM

PS: Someone suggested that this Bushnell scope may be all I need for my stated application and will be easier to learn to use effectively...true?

http://bushnell.com/tactical/riflesc...21x-50mm-g2dmr
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 06-07-2017, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Dont shoot an animal at a distance you are uncomfortable with
Old 06-07-2017, 8:32 PM

Even if the rifle and cartridge you're using is effective at over 1000 yards, shooting at that range is a pretty complex skill set and will take a good amount of time to learn (I'm learning a lot of it now). Personally, I wouldn't consider trying to hunt at that range even if I could shoot it at the range- too many variables, and the animal is too far away for a follow up shot if it starts moving.

I do think 4-500 yards is doable, but you don't really need 25x for that. An experienced shooter I know told me that 1 additional power for every 100 yards is good enough, but for me, for hunting, I think I'd look for something like a 2.5-10. Also remember, if you get SFP the reticle is only accurate at maximum magnification, and 25x is going to give you an awfully small field of view.

Disclaimer- I don't really know what I'm talking about, except that I've spent around the last 3 months learning everything I could about this, so "add salt". I really only answered because you didn't seem to be getting much help.
Old 06-08-2017, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchOperator View Post
Dont shoot an animal at a distance you are uncomfortable with
That's a given. I'm a bow hunter but recent healthcare concerns are forcing me to consider less physically demanding hunts while the docs work on me. I passed on a 300 yard shot at a buck last year because I was uncomfortable with the shot.

To GPAR: I hear ya and am getting good input from several other sources to find the balance point between magnification and FOV. My old eyes need some help. <g>

Last edited by BC9696; 06-08-2017 at 6:37 AM..
Old 06-08-2017, 6:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Keep your hunting rifles and your long range precision rifles separate. Different tools for different jobs. You'll be happier.

Using the turrets and reticles to your full advantage isn't hard, nor is there a steep learning curve. It's just a matter of taking the time to understand how these work and shooting enough to gain the experience necessary to use them to full effect.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-08-2017, 8:10 AM

Default NF HYBRID w/ MOAR ret

Gotta PM recommending this NF:
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 .25 MOA-illuminated MOAR reticle C556|C556 - Nightforceusa.com

Seems like it may be both affordable and capable.

For someone with zero tactical scope experience looking to stretch his range for hunting by 200-400 yards (out to 600 yards total) without learning a whole new way to shoot, this scope appears to be a hybrid between a hunter & tactical scope.

4x50mm F1 is the only scope in the SHV lineup that incorporates a first focal plane reticle. It is a large scope (14.8 inches long), well-suited to precision shooting with rifles at the heavier end of the spectrum- exactly the types of rifles most frequently used for long range shooting.

MIL or MOA Nightforce SHV versions are available using the MIL-R or MOAR reticles, respectively. The adjustments on the MIL version are in .1MIL increments while the MOA variants adjust via .25 MOA clicks. The 30mm tube provides an adjustment range of 90 MOA/26.2 MIL for elevation and 70 MOA/20.4 MIL of windage.

From a practical perspective, that means that a .300 Winchester Magnum firing a 190gr. bullet from a 100-yard zero shouldn’t run out of elevation adjustment until the target range exceeds 1300 yards, and that’s with standard (0 MOA) scope bases.

The elevation dial on this Nightforce SHV is exposed to allow for fast adjustments while the windage dial is covered to help prevent inadvertent movement. Personally, I prefer to dial for elevation and use the reticle for any windage corrections so this system works perfectly for me.

I shoot a .300WM and this scope only costs $1250 new.

Would I be better of with something like this? I have only a short window to get comfortable with the new glass before hunting season starts. My fear is that the more complex tactical scopes may be “over me head and needs” but I keep coming back to NF for the glass and features.

Old 06-08-2017, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Are you basing that 1300 yard estimate on a 26 mil elevation adjustment or a 13 mil adjustment? Because while the scope has a total adjustment of 26 mils, your actual zero will likely be close to mechanical zero so in practice you'll only have approximately half of the total for UPWARDS adjustment.
Old 06-08-2017, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

The SHV would be a very good choice for what you want to do.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-08-2017, 9:27 PM

After talking to a 61 yr old Hunter at NF I got the SHV 4-14x56 size. Damn shop didn't have the mounting hardware. Pissed! I asked em about this before driving 50 minutes! Wanted to shoot tomorrow. Grrrr. Info and specs at http://nightforceoptics.com/shv/4-14x56. It is SFP, will allow more light in (for those early and late shots) and will give me a greater measure of latitude as my eyes continue to age. At 26.9 oz it has a smaller weight penalty than some other NF scopes and when I looked thru it at the shop, knew I wouldn't need to lug a spotter to the range anymore. LOL
Lucked out, it has the elevation cap (newer models don't-NF hasn't updated their site yet) so I don't have to worry about it getting bumped when out on a stalk and forgetting to check the turret setting. The proof will be in the hole-putting. Good, bad or ugly...I will post pics after i get it mounted and sighted in. Thanks all. Very helpful. Got a lot of PMs, read countless reviews and feel pretty good about this selection.

Old 06-09-2017, 2:51 PM

3X9 Nikon is gone

NightForce 4-14X56mm mounted and aligned.

Now I just need some ammo, paper and range time. Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited by BC9696; 06-09-2017 at 2:54 PM..
Old 06-11-2017, 6:48 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

You made a much better choice with that scope, than the initial one, for your purposes. Looks good, go shoot it!
(Next, get rid of that stock!)
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Default stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
You made a much better choice with that scope, than the initial one, for your purposes. Looks good, go shoot it!
(Next, get rid of that stock!)

I prefer a synthetic stock as I am often in foul weather. Same reason the barrel is SS...just better in rain, hail and snow.