Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-22-2012, 2:22 PM

One other idea, which others have touched on, is the "safe gun roster." The idea itself is odd, since it allows cops to carry guns that California considers "unsafe." This creates a false market for these, since they can be privately sold - several Sacramento sheriffs are going through some form of wringer over this, according to news reports.

The roster is often described as a "money maker" for the state - but I wonder in this era of public fiscal crisis whether that's true. The roster has not detected, or prevented from sale, any of numerous guns which have recently been recalled, such as the Beretta Neos, PPK, and many others. As noted by others the roster does exclude the black version of a stainless gun which is safe, and vice versa. In other words, it seems to accomplish nothing. But at what cost? An expose of how much the state spends, and how many personnel are devoted to, this apparent farce might fit into "Gun Control in Sheep's Clothing" section of your film. I, or others here, might be able to help with FOIA type requests to learn more about the DOJ roster approval process, and what resources the state commits to it.
Old 05-22-2012, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellar View Post
Vincewarde -

Thank you for the post.

Yes, you can produce content for a low cost but filming and edit is only a small portion of the costs of get a film produced and distributed.

One example is our recent PBS Science Special "400 Years of the Telescope". Over $150,000 was spent on PR and mini grants to the ten largest market stations for promotion and carriage even though the film was part of the national feed - those 4 hours of block programming provided by PBS via satellite to the affiliates. Why would we spend that amount of cash on promotion - because the stations can preempt the feed and put in their own programming. All the rails must be grease.

In the case of your church programming, Sony picked up the costs of distribution and programming. Get it if you can get it, but you need to weigh the eyeballs in the mix. A film for video/dvd/download marketed to a niche verses a national primetime program.

Primetime content comes with costs that need to be met - engineering compliance - $2,700 just to have PBS screen and sign off that your film meets their engineering standards. Then there is the post-production to meet those requirements, graphics and animations, music, voice over talent and the upfront costs to just to acquire the interviews and footage (hotels, meals, fuel, airlines tickets, excess baggage charges, insurance, etc.). Even free labor interns cost money when you have to move them around and provide room and board. I’m sure you get the picture - no pun intended.

These costs are getting so bad that BBC, Nat Geo, History, Discovery and PBS all look for co-production content that they can share the costs. Watch the credits at the end of a your favorite factual production and you will see that it wasn't just produced by the broadcaster; many hands are in the pot.

I take off my hat to your friends at Sherwood Pictures - great work to land a Sony distribution deal to distribute to the religious market - a very real and meaningful market.

Our work is a different horse. We’re targeting a primetime broadcast along with the derivatives - theatrical, Netflix, iTunes, DVD. Otherwise, the Calgunners will love it, share it with their friends, but the message will never reach the masses or more importantly those that currently oppose the 2A in California.

Our last film received 5 primetime broadcasts (8, 9 and 10 PM time slots) by PBS over 3 years and it’s estimated that only 8 million watched it! We estimate another 1 million via Netflix and iTunes and 2 million via our international distribution over the past three years - just a drop in the bucket when you're talking 300 million+ viewers in the US alone.

The filmmaking can be inexpensive but the distribution is where the money is spent. We plan to be smart about the distribution and apply all we have learned from our past experiences. But regardless of how cheap we film and edit (not production values, but $$), we have to pay to get the fat lady to sing. I’m sure they’re some media distributors on this board that can expound upon this matter better than me.

I’ll provide a shopping list of needs after the launch meeting next week. In the meantime, any help to cover the costs of the next few weeks is helpful. Getting gas under $4.00, case of diet Rock Star for Anita (associate producer), ammo for the range shoots, and gift certificates to Holiday Inn Express would be a great start.

Thanks again for your interest and encouragement.

Kris
Thanks for the education!

While the Christian community was the core target for these films, they did reach far beyond it into what one might call the "family film" market. Clearly when Sony picked them up, they knew they had a built in market - I am sure they wanted to reach beyond it and that they were successful to some degree.

I have to wonder if it would be possible to go much the same route with your efforts? There are a lot of parallels between the 2nd Amendment community and the Christian community. Both are passionate, have their own subculture, are misunderstood by many, are stereotyped and represent a sizable minority of the general population. Both are very protective of their respective civil rights.

Basically what happened with Sherwood is that they rented a few local theaters and when the turnout was huge, Sony approached them. You know more about your business than I do, by far, but I would think a lot of gun owners and conservatives would turn out for a film like the one you are making. Of course, that is just the start - from there you can move on to TV and DVD/Blue Ray.

Just a thought. Take what you can use (if anything) and ignore the rest.

Vince
Old 05-22-2012, 3:28 PM

Please don't read or make anything more out of our test shots other than that they were a test - 30fps slow motion conversion and camera performance on a range.

These clips, if even used in the documentary, will be presented at the appropriate point in the timeline to support the story threads. I posted the clip here because as a gun owner, I like to see a beautiful piece of machinery in action and I though all of you would, too.

The posts on this thread regarding the test clip has revealed to me that many of you live in substantial fear of our own state government. That is one of the threads I will pursue in this film. Why should a gun owner be fearful of a video clip of a legally configured featureless semi-auto throwing lead down range in a safe manner?

What did Franklin D Roosevelt say about fear...

I respect all of your comments and I do not make trivial your concerns. I promise not to create fuel for the fire. I plan to produce a doc that changes attitudes and allow us to enjoy our guns just as gun owners do in most of the Union.

Tee shirts are in! Make a donation and you could be wearing your support for this film by the weekend! www.Facebook.com/DeadPatriotFilms.com

Please remember all the Dead Patriots this weekend - that's why we have the holiday.

Kris
Old 05-22-2012, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro Pistolero View Post
Oh, I get it completely. But that clip will be downloaded and forwarded without context or the explanation. It seems you are missing THAT point.
This video is lock and can't be downloaded.
Old 05-22-2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Oh, I get it completely. But that clip will be downloaded and forwarded without context or the explanation. It seems you are missing THAT point.
Agreed. Like said before, context, and really, what context is there in that :17? I mean, really.
Old 05-22-2012, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How is it any different than the thousands of other videos that are online now? Lets be realistic here.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 05-22-2012, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Interstellar, for your sensitivity and assurances around concerns abou perceptions.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 05-22-2012, 7:20 PM

I think Chuck Michel and Jason Davis will have some info along with (username)10th amendment?

Its been a few years.. but I was the guy mentioned in CRPA press releases who got a late night visit from DOJ Agents 7 years ago and they seized my "Featureless". I demonstrated for the 2 Agents how my rifle was legal and how it is fired easily and videotaped it..

"The rest is History"
Old 05-22-2012, 7:35 PM

I know your movie is about the BB but I hope that you convey that people are changing there views on guns in general in CA. A friend of mine's Son had a birthday last week (14) and they took he and his friends to Burro Canyon to go shooting by his choice. They posted many pics on facebook which was somewhat taboo not long ago.
I went to the indoor Shooting Range a few weeks ago with my Sons and there was at least a 45 minute wait. Firearms are becoming more acceptable in CA. I hope you can further the trend.
Old 05-22-2012, 7:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
This video is lock and can't be downloaded.
Sir, I don't think you understand quite how the internet and streaming media works
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 05-22-2012, 7:39 PM

Default BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joash View Post
The film could have the effect of provoking far more restrictive laws to plug any perceived loopholes that we enjoy now.
I saw that coming a mile away when the open carry "campaign" started hanging out at Starbucks, etc. Looking for confrontational scenarios. Sorry but give me a break. I really am still damned miffed over that blow back.
Old 05-22-2012, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
Sir, I don't think you understand quite how the internet and streaming media works
Ok, maybe I'm, ignorant about all things streaming, but try to embedded it on a web page. The permissions on Vimeo should prevent the video from being embedded and downloaded.
Old 05-22-2012, 8:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The permissions on Vimeo should prevent the video from being embedded and downloaded.
They won't and can't prevent it from being downloaded. Just FYI
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
Old 05-22-2012, 8:49 PM

Quote:
They won't and can't prevent it from being downloaded. Just FYI
Download it and email it back to me...DRM

Last edited by interstellar; 05-22-2012 at 8:52 PM..
Old 05-22-2012, 9:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's 1.7MB, a little too big for email.
Old 05-22-2012, 9:37 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Old 05-22-2012, 9:53 PM

Vimeo Digital Rights Management is suppose to prevent that. I'll deal with them in the a.m.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Vimeo Digital Rights Management is suppose to prevent that. I'll deal with them in the a.m.
Like I said, that's not how the internet works. Don't even bother or worry about it. If someone wants your video, it's theirs. Period.

And no matter what, all the digital rights management in the world can't prevent someone from just pointing their video camera at the screen.
Old 05-23-2012, 6:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't even bother or worry about it.
Exactly. Not worth your energy in this case.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Old 05-23-2012, 9:40 AM

FYI donors - your T-shirts are shipping today via USPS. You should receive them by Friday or Saturday.

Thanks again for your support.
Old 05-23-2012, 2:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am a music producer and composer in Nevada.

If you don't have anyone in mind for the score yet, contact me via PM or email. I have a full production studio (audio/music) in Las Vegas. In fact, if you send me a representative scene or two (no matter how rough), we can begin to develop an approach to scoring that's compatible with your direction and vision. Yes, I am volunteering.
Plus one for this guy. He is very talented

Sent over the Cortex
Old 05-23-2012, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryzubconsulting View Post
Plus one for this guy. He is very talented

Sent over the Cortex
He's already onboard!
Old 05-24-2012, 2:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Received my shirt today. Very nice and well done!

Golden State Tactical <---click here or Here--->Golden State Tactical Store

An FORMER Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 4:25 PM

^^^ Thank you. We have a whole box of them looking for donors ^^^^

Please donate! We need help to make this film a reality.
Old 05-25-2012, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTOM CA! View Post
I know your movie is about the BB but I hope that you convey that people are changing there views on guns in general in CA. A friend of mine's Son had a birthday last week (14) and they took he and his friends to Burro Canyon to go shooting by his choice. They posted many pics on facebook which was somewhat taboo not long ago.
I went to the indoor Shooting Range a few weeks ago with my Sons and there was at least a 45 minute wait. Firearms are becoming more acceptable in CA. I hope you can further the trend.
Our movie is much more than just the BB - see the press release at www.facebook.com/DeadPatriotFilms .

We plan to cover most of the aspects of buying and owning a gun in this state. From the DOJ approved list to CCW inequities and everything in between. This documentary will be made to tell the story of gun control from the viewpoint of gun owners, not from biased, politically motivated news reporters on the hunt for a smash piece to generate ratings. This is our story of the daily head banging we go through to exercises our 2A rights, project our families and enjoy shooting.

Please help us make this film a reality. Your donation will put fuel in our tank, pay for hotel rooms and food for the crew to begin filming this weekend - Yolo county range day to interview C&Rs, LA for 7 Star Tactical range day, Monday's launch meeting with the advisors (Gene, et. al.) and San Diego to interview Darin.

Finally, we're documentary filmmakers, which means we are always broke. Factual filmmakers don't get the big payouts like narrative filmmakers. Brake even is our goal and it's rarely achieved - but we do make some great documentaries.

Help us create a pro 2A documentary that educates and changes attitudes.

Thanks,

Kris

- Remember all the dead patriots this weekend. That's what the holiday is for.
Old 05-25-2012, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Our movie is much more than just the BB - see the press release at www.facebook.com/DeadPatriotFilms .

We plan to cover most of the aspects of buying and owning a gun in this state. From the DOJ approved list to CCW inequities and everything in between. This documentary will be made to tell the story of gun control from the viewpoint of gun owners, not from biased, politically motivated news reporters on the hunt for a smash piece to generate ratings. This is our story of the daily head banging we go through to exercises our 2A rights, project our families and enjoy shooting.

Please help us make this film a reality. Your donation will put fuel in our tank, pay for hotel rooms and food for the crew to begin filming this weekend - Yolo county range day to interview C&Rs, LA for 7 Star Tactical range day, Monday's launch meeting with the advisors (Gene, et. al.) and San Diego to interview Darin.

Finally, we're documentary filmmakers, which means we are always broke. Factual filmmakers don't get the big payouts like narrative filmmakers. Brake even is our goal and it's rarely achieved - but we do make some great documentaries.

Help us create a pro 2A documentary that educates and changes attitudes.

Thanks,

Kris

- Remember all the dead patriots this weekend. That's what the holiday is for.
Kris thank you for what you are attempting... might I suggest, since i know the Bullet Button is a working title, "The People's Republic." Mainly because this has some much more to deal with than just the BB. My only hesitation would be that a title like this could receive some backlash and classify it as "too far right." While most of us here do have more conservative values, I believe that California gun owners are a diverse group of people with beliefs and values all over the board.

Either way, i look forward to seeing more about this, keep up the good work!
Old 05-25-2012, 9:30 AM

Maybe start a title suggestion thread?

a few off the top of my head:
"...shall not be infringed."
"The Accidental Felon: an Inside Look at Being a CA Gun Owner"
"Behind the Barrel Shroud"

I guess it all depends on what storyline(s) you will be focusing on.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopafly View Post
Maybe start a title suggestion thread?

a few off the top of my head:
"...shall not be infringed."
"The Accidental Felon: an Inside Look at Being a CA Gun Owner"
"Behind the Barrel Shroud"

I guess it all depends on what storyline(s) you will be focusing on.
The title will be discussed at the launch meeting on Monday, so send in your suggestions.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:52 AM

"Push My Bullet Button"
Old 05-25-2012, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Swag is AWESOME, THANKS!

The following is a point that I would like to see made that addresses the fact that many CA gun laws reduce the performance characteristics of ordinary firearms by limiting magazine size and the ability to change magazines without the aid of a tool.

A common argument is: "Why would anyone need more than ten rounds in a magazine? You don't need more than ten rounds to stop a mugger/attacker/rapist, etc."

But this argument is specious. While is may be true that the average person is less likely to encounter a violent criminal than a police officer, once that criminal is encountered, he is the same criminal, he is just as dangerous, and the citizen is entitled a FULLY functional weapon with it's original performance characteristics intact. The criminal will have any such weapon as is commonly available without regard to CA or federal law.

Police officers often expend dozens of rounds stopping a single violent attacker. Violent encounters are rapidly evolving, dynamic, and unpredictable events in which the best firearms and marksmanship training may be insufficient to have a positive outcome.

Police officers have the advantage of their training, experience, protective equipment, and the ability to call for cover. Since officers require more than ten rounds to stop an attack, then the citizen who lacks all of those advantages has at least the same need for full-capacity magazines as LE.

Also, since a core purpose of the 2nd amendment is to suppress tyranny should the government run afoul of it's constitutional limits, requiring that the citizens small arms are inferior to those of the government eviscerates the amendment for one of it's primary purposes.

My two cents.

Old 05-25-2012, 6:31 PM

Great points! I'll bring them up in the launch meeting.

Yes, swag is good and awesome swag, is, well, awesome. So, donate today to a great 2A film project and get some awesome swag.

www.Facebook.com/DeadPatriotFilms
Old 05-25-2012, 6:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wow, great to hear and can't wait to see it as it all falls into place. LOTS of info regarding the whole OLL movement, bullet buttons and magazine locks as "loopholes" through california's garble of laws. Good luck and God speed

The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”
Old 05-25-2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:

Also, since a core purpose of the 2nd amendment is to suppress tyranny should the government run afoul of it's constitutional limits, requiring that the citizens small arms are inferior to those of the government eviscerates the amendment for one of it's primary purposes.

My two cents.
Excellent point.

Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your houses.” Nehemiah 4:14
Old 05-27-2012, 2:55 PM

Great day of filming with Nabil and the 7 Star Tactical team, along with EBR works.

Looking forward to the launch meeting tomorrow with the advisors.
Old 05-27-2012, 7:53 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

interstellar, I know you stated you have worked with some Butte County LE agencies on a previous project. I am curious if you had any opportunity to discuss firearm laws during that time?

The reason I ask is that I was doing some reading today on the upcoming long gun registration requirement and noted that Chico PD's Chief Maloney is on the list of those supporting the legislation.

I found that surprising, considering that no other Chief LEOs north of Sacramento are on the list. In fact, the only County Sheriff listed as a supporter of AB 809 is Lee Baca of Los Angeles county (which is not surprising).

Just curious if you have any insight.
Old 05-27-2012, 9:25 PM

Its frustrating we are focusing on the bullet button issue when we should be focusing on the unconstitutionality of so-called "assault weapons" bans in the first place. It is a tough road here in CA, keep fighting the good fight everyone! -MM
Old 05-28-2012, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post
interstellar, I know you stated you have worked with some Butte County LE agencies on a previous project. I am curious if you had any opportunity to discuss firearm laws during that time?

The reason I ask is that I was doing some reading today on the upcoming long gun registration requirement and noted that Chico PD's Chief Maloney is on the list of those supporting the legislation.

I found that surprising, considering that no other Chief LEOs north of Sacramento are on the list. In fact, the only County Sheriff listed as a supporter of AB 809 is Lee Baca of Los Angeles county (which is not surprising).

Just curious if you have any insight.
I haven't talked to Chief Maloney about gun control or long gun registration - he also just retired last April. We will, however, be interviewing LEOs for the film to get their opinions and viewpoints.
Old 05-28-2012, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernMusket View Post
Its frustrating we are focusing on the bullet button issue when we should be focusing on the unconstitutionality of so-called "assault weapons" bans in the first place. It is a tough road here in CA, keep fighting the good fight everyone! -MM
We are not just focusing on the BB - please see the press release posted earlier. The film will look at the gun laws (control) of California compared to the rest of the Union from the viewpoint of gun owners.

Thanks,
Kris
Old 05-28-2012, 6:17 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I haven't talked to Chief Maloney about gun control or long gun registration - he also just retired last April. We will, however, be interviewing LEOs for the film to get their opinions and viewpoints.
Thank you. I was unaware Chief Maloney was no longer there. The LEO interviews sound like a great idea. It will be interesting to see some of their perspectives on the issues.
Old 05-28-2012, 6:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Like I said, that's not how the internet works. Don't even bother or worry about it. If someone wants your video, it's theirs. Period.

And no matter what, all the digital rights management in the world can't prevent someone from just pointing their video camera at the screen.
A video camera? A screen capture program would work a lot better, just sayin lol.