Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 09-11-2017, 6:44 AM

Default 870 Express cycling issues

I have been plagued by cycling issues with my 870 Express. It cost me a few ducks last year. I have upgraded the extractor to the nonmim and polished the chamber, but am still having issues. Any suggestions fit what to do next? It is mostly having issues with 3" duck rounds. Primarily shoot Kent fast steel

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 7:16 AM

Luuuuccccy. ..... you got sum es plaining to dooo.

Ftf. Fte ? Dropping ?
Old 09-11-2017, 7:24 AM

Fte

Old 09-11-2017, 7:27 AM

Try different Ammo
Old 09-11-2017, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackyHouston View Post
Try different Ammo
Have switched shells with the same results.

Old 09-11-2017, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Yep. Last year pheasant hunting I had stovepipes like crazy. I thought it was my cycling. I can hand cycle it almost as fast as a semi, so I thought I might've been short cycling, but it even happened when I slowed down. Different ammo didnt fix it, either. I found an 870 armorer online talking about the issue. Turns out the inside of the 870 express extractor chamber is a slighly softer metal than that used on a wingmaster, so it gets scratched up and the shell brass drags. When the pump action is fully back a small spring is supposed to flick the shell sideways and eject it. When the shell drags it's not in the correct position for fully being ejected. His advice was to polish the inside of that extraction chamber and see if that fixes it. I'll know next year after my shoulder heals if my polish job worked.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ĎI canít wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!í

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 09-11-2017, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Yep. Last year pheasant hunting I had stovepipes like crazy. I thought it was my cycling. I can hand cycle it almost as fast as a semi, so I thought I might've been short cycling, but it even happened when I slowed down. Different ammo didnt fix it, either. I found an 870 armorer online talking about the issue. Turns out the inside of the 870 express extractor chamber is a slighly softer metal than that used on a wingmaster, so it gets scratched up and the shell brass drags. When the pump action is fully back a small spring is supposed to flick the shell sideways and eject it. When the shell drags it's not in the correct position for fully being ejected. His advice was to polish the inside of that extraction chamber and see if that fixes it. I'll know next year after my shoulder heals if my polish job worked.
What did you use to polish it? I used a round wire brush and it didn't work.

Old 09-11-2017, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerestraint View Post
What did you use to polish it? I used a round wire brush and it didn't work.

I used 000 steel wool. Was thinking about going to some metal polish and a foam brush on a dremel.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 09-11-2017, 9:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gumB5bAROX4

i haven't needed to do this on mine (luckily) but came across this vid from the 870 forum
Old 09-11-2017, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1371506
Old 09-11-2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
'mike, hope the shoulder heals good and you can get back to shooting/hunting.
My right shoulder gives me a bit of grief at times, but , I'm shooting left handed. So far, so good. Sometimes getting older sucks.
Sorry for the hi-jack.
Old 09-11-2017, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
'mike, hope the shoulder heals good and you can get back to shooting/hunting.
My right shoulder gives me a bit of grief at times, but , I'm shooting left handed. So far, so good. Sometimes getting older sucks.
Sorry for the hi-jack.
No sweat. Thanks. My return to work is supposed to be Oct. 1, doc says I'm about 6 months from shooting. I have almost full mobility right now, so I'm hoping he's right. I'm anxious to test out this whole polishing thing. My 870 is a beast in the field, and I really don't want to replace it if I don't have to. Hoping the OP can give feedback sooner.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 10-14-2017, 2:59 PM

Update: bought a 400 grit flexhone on amazon for $20. Used a little 10w 30 and my drill. Real easy to use. Took it to the range today and it shoots great. Ran 75 rounds of bird shot at 5 3in duck loads through it and it cycled great. Hopefully it will be a good omen for duck opener

Old 10-14-2017, 3:46 PM

Sounds good. Hope the problem is gone. Issues with firearms, especially in the field suck.
Old 11-18-2017, 2:56 PM

So, I decided to upgrade he MIM extractor in my 870 Express Tactical 7-Shot (no breaching brake or GR sights), with a Remington factory non-MIM machined extractor. I haven't fired my shotgun yet, and swapping out the extractor was just an upgrade for my own piece-of-mind. I purchased my extractor from Midway USA and it showed up today. When I open the padded envelope and saw the extractor, I couldn't believe my eyes. Any thoughts on this horse-pucky?

Last edited by NiteGoat; 11-18-2017 at 2:57 PM.. Reason: I forgot to mention something
Old 11-18-2017, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

It's a steel part ~ Hit it with some fine sand paper or send it back. Also know you may need to break an edge of the extractor, mine was wearing on the receiver....... They aren't always drop in.
Old 11-18-2017, 4:16 PM

Soak it overnight in a couple ounces of plain old white vinegar, then rinse and dry. Oil immediately, than start fitting it.
Old 11-18-2017, 5:46 PM

Remington has life time warranty.
Send it back over and over on their dime until they get their **** straight.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3baton View Post
Remington has life time warranty.
Send it back over and over on their dime until they get their **** straight.
I'll be contacting Midway USA on Monday, since their CS is not open on the weekend. I will be requesting they pay for the cost of return shipping. It should have never left their warehouse in that condition. I'm also going to request a swap for a marine magnum extractor. If there are any issues with the marine magnum extractor, I'll be returning it on their dime for a full refund.

The way I see it, I shouldn't have to soak it in vinegar or anything else, as it should not have any rust on it in the first place; not to mention the pitting.
Old 11-19-2017, 2:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Get a Volquartzen extractor.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 11-19-2017, 4:25 AM
Veteran Member

That part they sent looks like its been in the warehouse for quite some time...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 11-19-2017, 8:41 AM

That is an old one and they are not machine very well. Also all this mess about needing a forged steel over a MIN is just mess. The MIM is perfect and works just as well as the forged. Remington finally found a vendor to make the forged identical to the MIM so getting the part from Remington will get you the Right one. Also that vendor you got that part from is famous for sending people the 11-87 extractor instead as I guess they want to get rid of them. Here are the different Remington Extractors
Extractors.jpg

From left to right. New Forged, MIM, Old Forged, 11-87. It is easy to tell these apart, The MIM is perfect as it is molded from powder metal. After many years Remington found a vendor who is making the new forged for them and that one is styled exactly like the MIM and is the one you want.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
That is an old one and they are not machine very well. Also all this mess about needing a forged steel over a MIN is just mess. The MIM is perfect and works just as well as the forged. Remington finally found a vendor to make the forged identical to the MIM so getting the part from Remington will get you the Right one. Also that vendor you got that part from is famous for sending people the 11-87 extractor instead as I guess they want to get rid of them. Here are the different Remington Extractors

From left to right. New Forged, MIM, Old Forged, 11-87. It is easy to tell these apart, The MIM is perfect as it is molded from powder metal. After many years Remington found a vendor who is making the new forged for them and that one is styled exactly like the MIM and is the one you want.
Thanks for the info!

This is the Remington part number for the extractor I was sent: Remington #: F16176

From your photo, it looks like my 870 has the "new" MIM extractor. Mine does not have the highly pronounced molding seam on the top of the extractor, but a rather faint seam. I guess I'll be returning my hunk of rust to Midway USA for a full refund (on their dime), and order the proper extractor from Remington; unless the Marine Magnum extractor is a suitable replacement?

If the "new" MIM extractors are reliable, I'll just leave mine in and keep whichever replacement extractor I decide to get, as a replacement for the MIM extractor, should it ever break or cause extraction issues. BTW, my shotgun was purchased about a year ago. So I don't know when they began putting the "new/good" MIM in them, or what year my shotgun was manufactured.

I guess I should have Googled "Remington 870 Express Tactical" before I bought my shotgun. I was unaware of the crappy QC and extractor/finish issues. For the record, I haven't had any rusting issues with the finish on my 870. Had I known the Remington 870 Express Tactical is prone to so many problems, I probably would have went with a Mossberg. But I always loved 870s. It's what I grew up around and they were always the gold standard. My first shotgun I owned was a Mossberg 500 Persuader, back in 1991. I liked the smooth action, I just couldn't stand the rattling twisting pump. I ended up selling it to a LGS because I was short on cash back in 2003.

Last edited by NiteGoat; 11-19-2017 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: My poor short-term memory,due to "pump-head"
Old 11-20-2017, 3:12 PM

Default Remington has their online parts on sale right now.

Here is a link for all their extractors.
Scroll down to the 3rd row and the one on the right is nickel plated.

https://www.remington.com/shop/Extra...ExtractorParts
Old 11-21-2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBGBA View Post
Here is a link for all their extractors.
Scroll down to the 3rd row and the one on the right is nickel plated.

https://www.remington.com/shop/Extra...ExtractorParts
Thanks. Remington's shipping is ridiculous ($10). Midway USA paid for return shipping and will be issuing me a full refund once they receive their returned rusted extractor.
Old 11-21-2017, 4:29 AM
Veteran Member

Glad you got it all figured out ~ $10 rusty parts suck, but next time save the drama.......
Old 11-22-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
Glad you got it all figured out ~ $10 rusty parts suck, but next time save the drama.......
Actually, the part cost me over $20; $16+ for the part and $4.99 for shipping. What drama?
Old 11-22-2017, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post

I polished everything up and mine is running like a champ with duck loads. I havenít tried those Herters shells I initially had issues with. Those shells jammed up my Beretta a300, which never happens. My friendís Franchi didnít have any issues with the Herters shells. Iíll see how it does the next time I shoot clays.
Old 11-22-2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Those shells jammed up my Beretta a300, which never happens.
A300s seem to do that a lot. Shooting it wet helps.