Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-04-2018, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

the all steel CZ83 pistol is nice, and they're still available with 10 rd mag

chambered in .380

Old 10-04-2018, 9:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

1911 in .22 TCM.

/thread

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-04-2018, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody530 View Post
I'm really digging the Beretta Cheetah...
It’s a miniaturized Beretta 92. Would be a good choice.

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. ‘Til Valhall’...
Old 10-04-2018, 9:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If she wants a lighter gun than the 1911. Consider the Kel-Tec PMR-30. It's a lightweight .22 Mag. Not on the roster though.

Or she can wait until Armscor comes out with a Glock 19 upper in .22 TCM. If she can handle the slightly larger grip of the Glock 17, the upper in .22 TCM is available.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettM99 View Post
Browning Black Label Pro 1911-380. It’s a 1911 in .380....
Great choice, also the Shield 380 EZ.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody530 View Post
I Honestly mean no disrespect at all to those who own and love rimfire semi auto handguns or doubt their guns run just fine but I have had/seen nothing but problems with them.
What sort of problems have you seen? I have a S&W 22a, a Buckmark, and a S&W 41, and they all run like clockwork if I clean them once in a while. The Buckmark is a particularly great choice IMO.
Old 10-04-2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
If you're anywhere near the Inland Empire you and your girlfriend can try my CZ-50. It's cambered in the 7.65mm round and is designed after the Walther PP. It's all steel and kind of heavy for the size but that helps tame the already mild recoil.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Morrcarr67 That really cool of you I appreciate it unfortunately I'm up north in the Redding are.
Old 10-04-2018, 2:10 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll keep an eye out for them when we hit the gun shops this weekend. I think if we come across a 380 1911 it would probably seal the deal seeing how my 1911 was her favorite gun she shot of mine. Her only complaint was "its kinda heavy" so with the 380 1911 having less kick and being smaller then mine I'm sure she will love it.
Old 10-04-2018, 3:05 PM

Bersa .380 Firestorm is a good compromise
Old 10-04-2018, 7:14 PM

A steel framed 1911 Commander in 9x19mm would do the trick.

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p
Old 10-04-2018, 7:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer

the problem isn't the gun but you set the standard at which she should perform. She watches you rack the slide with ease and she expects to do the same and then she watches you handle the recoil and again she expects to do the same.

Basically you need to get her around girls or women that know how to shoot and let them ease her into recoil management. They will tell her they went through the exact same fear and hesitation but will also give her a sense of sisterhood where she will feel secure to shoot and not always stand behind you wondering why you can hit everything and she can't.

I think .22lr should be left for the children or the young ones to ease them into firearms. If she's already shot the bigger calibers she needs to watch women perform with them.

all i shoot with is women and they all keep egging each other to come out and shoot every weekend and they show up even more than my gun guy friends do because football is more important than training.

MANTIS BLACKBEARD X AFFILIATE LINK https://mantisx.idevaffiliate.com/id...id=528&url=172

DRYFIREMAG AFFILIATE LINK https://www.dryfiremag.com/?ref=Protohyp
Old 10-04-2018, 7:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Armscor doesn't make a Glock conversion for the 22-TCM.

They do make a conversion for the 22-TCMR though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
If she wants a lighter gun than the 1911. Consider the Kel-Tec PMR-30. It's a lightweight .22 Mag. Not on the roster though.

Or she can wait until Armscor comes out with a Glock 19 upper in .22 TCM. If she can handle the slightly larger grip of the Glock 17, the upper in .22 TCM is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 10-04-2018, 8:11 PM

My wife's first handgun shooting was with a S&W 617 6" barrel. She nailed the first 4 in a row on 16oz water bottles and had fun. My only recommendation would be to ignore the short barrel small guns and try something with a longer sight radius. Much easier to aim accurately and if she can hit what she's aiming at, she'll have more fun and actually look forward to the next shooting session.
It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

― Ten Bears
Old 10-05-2018, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Armscor doesn't make a Glock conversion for the 22-TCM.

They do make a conversion for the 22-TCMR though.

You're incorrect.

You better tell Armscor to stop calling it the 22 TCM.

They also interchangeably call it the 22 TCM 9R, but never the 22 TCMR.

Glock 17 conversion kit

Last edited by k1dude; 10-05-2018 at 8:47 AM..
Old 10-05-2018, 9:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You're incorrect.

You better tell Armscor to stop calling it the 22 TCM.

They also interchangeably call it the 22 TCM 9R, but never the 22 TCMR.

Glock 17 conversion kit
I forgot the 9.

But they are not interchangeable. They are different calibres. And if you look at their website they only show the TCM9R round for the Glocks.

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/con...ck-conversion/
https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/con...r-glock-19-23/

Here is the 22-TCM

Here is the 22-TCM9R

The 22-TCM has a longer case and will not fit in a chamber for the 22-TCM9R.

In fact Armscor said this cartridge was designed specifically for their 9mm conversion kits.

http://news.armscor.com/blog/armscor...t-compatibilit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 10-05-2018, 9:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I forgot the 9.

But they are not interchangeable. They are different calibres. And if you look at their website they only show the TCM9R round for the Glocks.

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/con...ck-conversion/
https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/con...r-glock-19-23/

Here is the 22-TCM

Here is the 22-TCM9R

The 22-TCM has a longer case and will not fit in a chamber for the 22-TCM9R.

In fact Armscor said this cartridge was designed specifically for their 9mm conversion kits.

http://news.armscor.com/blog/armscor...t-compatibilit
Read their own website. Throughout the website they use the 2 interchangeably. Same with the promo literature. Same with articles and press releases. Same with when you call them. Same with when you visit them in Nevada. I know that for a fact. I was there and spoke to them at length about the cartridge. 22 TCM is the class of cartridge. To say the conversion kit is for the 22 TCM is factually correct.

From the link I provided from their website (bold is my own emphasis):

Quote:
Glock® 17 fans can now experience the power of the flamethrowing 22TCM9R cartridge by simply swapping out the complete top-end with the 22TCM9R conversion kit. Revel in the penetrating power of 2000 fps while enjoying the easily-managed light recoil famous in the 22TCM design.

Last edited by k1dude; 10-05-2018 at 9:45 AM..
Old 10-05-2018, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Read their own website. Throughout the website they use the 2 interchangeably.
The casing and chamber are the same, the 'problem' is the COAL of the original is too long for the Glock 17/19 magazine to swallow. Sure would be cool if they had a conversion barrel for the 20/21 though.

A different COAL spec does technically make it a different cartridge I guess. Hair splitting in 3, 2, 1 ....
Old 10-05-2018, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Does she handle full size 9mm pistols well?

If so, maybe a fullsize polymer double stack, so the grip width isn't so wide?

My short gf (5'3 / 5'4) can handle all of my full size pistols, even the larger pistols with relative ease. She owns a full size Beretta 92FS. Her hands are small but seems to have no problem picking up and shooting everything she gets her hands on.

At least for her, she prefers the longer sight radius of the fullsize rather than a smaller, more compact gun.

On a different note: a locked breech pistol will be softer shooting in my opinion than a smaller blowback. I find most 9mm pistols to be easier shooting than say, a makarov, or a 380 blowback pistol. Plus small pistols are definitely not as easy to shoot accurately than a fullsize 9mm, YMMV of course.

Maybe take her out to rent a few full size, but single stack pistols.

Walther P1 or P38
SIG P225 (compact single stack)
SIG P220 9mm
Springfield EMP 9mm
Springfield / Kimber full size 1911 9mm

Polymer double stacks
M&P
Glock 17/19
USP compact / P2000
Beretta PX4

Ladies can normally handle way more than we give them credit for...
Old 10-05-2018, 10:03 AM

A 357 revolver shooting 38 spl is the classic 'ladies gun'; softer recoil and the grip can be small as needed.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Kahr CW9, P9 or K9, if going 9mm.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If this is not about self defense, or if it is about learning the fundamentals before tackling the distracting recoil, then there are a lot of good full size .22lr guns out there. Not so much with the other calibers.

I think this is because the .22lr was viewed as both a training round and a small critter hunting round. While the others where viewed as pocket pistol defensive rounds...even if they kinda sucked at that role.

I am more of a defensive shooter, so all the guns I've purchased myself are 9mm or higher. However, I was given a GSG 1911 in .22lr that I really enjoy. Don't know if the 1911 is the best choice for a new shooter. But this thing is great. Shoots great, works like any other 1911, and is extremely affordable.

Here is a picture of mine. I changed out the mainspring housing and grips to match the style of my .45 1911 so it feel more like it, and thus be a good "trainer" for me. The lighter recoil does let you focus on the fundamentals. That said, if you want to be effective with a defensive round, you eventually have to embrace the recoil and learn to love it. No rush though. Nothing wrong with getting the fundamentals down first. Big school of thought embracing that concept.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 10-05-2018 at 10:53 AM..
Old 10-05-2018, 12:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I like the GSG 1911-22 because it is full size 1911 compatible with many parts so it’s overall form and function are great. The reliability of function depends on ammo choice, pick one that runs and stick to it and zero issues. Fed Auto Match and CCI Minimag are flawless in mine.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old 10-05-2018, 3:28 PM

My wife love her P238 (.380). there are two models available to California. The all stainless steel model is heavier more expensive. The two tone model is lighter but the grips are ugly. She chose the lighter model since she carries every day at work. We changed the grips now the gun is "pretty". My wife also shot my sons P938 (not on the roster 9mm) and loved it, but i have also heard a lot of women don't like it, because of the recoil. I have a Springfield EMP which my wife also likes but the gun prints too much on her. She is also small. If you go with a 9mm have her shoot 147g rounds they hit harder and produce less recoil than lighter rounds. My wife says either of these two choices are excellent. She also didn't like the glock or shield which i also have.

Last edited by Drakulya; 10-05-2018 at 3:57 PM..
Old 10-05-2018, 7:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559BearDown View Post
Maybe a .22 magnum Ruger LCR?

This ^^^^^^^

I bought one for my wife and I like shooting it too..

Great little gun with a lot more punch than a 22LR
Old 10-05-2018, 8:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakulya View Post
My wife love her P238 (.380). there are two models available to California. The all stainless steel model is heavier more expensive. The two tone model is lighter but the grips are ugly. She chose the lighter model since she carries every day at work. We changed the grips now the gun is "pretty". My wife also shot my sons P938 (not on the roster 9mm) and loved it, but i have also heard a lot of women don't like it, because of the recoil. I have a Springfield EMP which my wife also likes but the gun prints too much on her. She is also small. If you go with a 9mm have her shoot 147g rounds they hit harder and produce less recoil than lighter rounds. My wife says either of these two choices are excellent. She also didn't like the glock or shield which i also have.
I realy like the P238 as a concealed carry option. But since he said he didn't want a pocket pistol I didn't mention it. Tiny pistols tend to be hard to shoot as far as controlling them and handling recoil. At least compared to a big full size gun chambered in a tiny caliber. But they are very practical for carry. And this is a great carry option.
Old 10-06-2018, 5:33 PM

I would strongly suggest taking a look at the m&p 380 Ez. A little bit larger which will mitigate recoil and more power than a .22lr. I've not shot one but they seem decent.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2018, 9:38 AM

A lot of suggestions here. Unfortunately, a lot of them are not available in kommifornia.
Generally, as you go down in power, as in 9mm to .380acp, the pistols themselves get smaller and lighter. And are mostly blow back operated, not fixed breach ( which helps to mitigate recoil). Some kick quite a lot. So a good solution is to get a bigger/heavier locked breach gun in a smaller caliber.
The best solution I have found is a Star mdl ss. A all steel mini 1911, 380.
They are not readily available here, but they do crop up periodically, or are readily available out of state, on online auctions. Llama also made a similar
gun.
I bought 2 about a year ago. First one wasn't reliable, so I bought another one (both here is Ca.) to get a more reliable gun. It wasn't 100% reliable either. BUT, with a little work, they are now very reliable and fun to shoot.
So, if you can tinker a bit, these are a excellent choice.
PS If you have a off roster connection, a Browning 380 1911 might be a good choice.

Last edited by Pofoo; 10-07-2018 at 3:24 PM..
Old 10-07-2018, 2:02 PM

Every one seems to think a female need to shoot the smallest round they can find??
First time my wife shot a center-fire handgun was a Ruger p95 using 115gr. ammo............................and she out shot me! (not that I am that good of a shot?)

Rent a few guns and see what she can handle and like best.
Old 10-07-2018, 3:19 PM

Ruger single six in 22 and a matching Henry 22 lever gun.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:40 PM

+1 for heavier gun to reduce recoil. For revolver a 4-6 inch Smith and Wesson .38 special, almost no recoil. For semi auto, a steel frame 5 inch 9mm like a 1911 or something. No need to go with a .22 or .25. Even a 380 can be really snappy because of the small frames most have.
Old 10-08-2018, 7:41 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

The new M&P Shield in .380 has gotten some good write-ups (note that this is NOT the M&P Bodyguard 380...the 380 Shield is a larger gun). Of course it isn't on the roster, but it seems like an interesting choice for smaller people or those with hand-strength issues.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...80-shield-ez-0
Old 10-19-2018, 7:26 AM

I have a Ruger LC380 for sale, pretty much exactly what you are looking for. Best part is it shoots both .380 ACP and 9mm because I bought the LC9 conversion slide from Ruger, you can switch back and forth easily as you please.
Old 10-19-2018, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

not to be repetitive...but get her one of these...38 special, smallish but not a snub. EZ recoil and deadly accurate.

Last edited by beerman; 11-24-2018 at 8:56 AM..
Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

In a free state you could buy her one of those M&P 2.0 in .380.

Damn California anyway.

- Giacomo Leopardi
Old 10-19-2018, 2:34 PM
Veteran Member

A Buckmark or a Ruger autoloader in 22 LR.
Old 10-19-2018, 4:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but an FN 5.7 is another excellent choice, albeit expensive.

Its also on the roster.

Old 10-19-2018, 5:09 PM

We just got back from a gun store today wasn't able to go last weekend. Although we didn't buy anything yet she was pretty sure she wanted the bersa 380. I got 2 more store I wanna take her that might have more of a selection.
Old 10-19-2018, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

I have a Bersa Thunder 380 that I use for concealed carry in the summertime, it's actually no fun for me to shoot, however my wife has no problem with it. She pretty much as taking it over at the range. It's not a terribly small gun, but with the size of my hand it doesn't fit me well. So I have to work at keeping my group small. She is a smaller gal with small hands, she's damn near a natural at it. The Bersa Thunder is no longer on the roster, but I believe the Firestorm is basically the same pistol
Old 10-19-2018, 5:46 PM

Sorry for the newb question but what is blow back? Recoil?
Old 10-19-2018, 5:55 PM

Ruger .38 LCR....