Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 11-15-2018, 1:50 PM

The photo's not the greatest (I take lousy pics) but this is what I received at my PO Box today. From top to bottom:

Microtech Halo V
Benchmade Morpho 51
Kershaw Rogue 2001
Spyderco Jani-song
Benchmade Pardue 3550

The Halo V, Jani-song and Rogue were rare finds.

I was lucky to run across them online and are just a few of the reasons why I've spent so much $ on knives that Amex actually cut me off (for a day or 2) recently for spending so much outside my normal buying pattern.

Had to use my Visa card to buy some other knives instead. LOL!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AutosRcvd111518.jpg (91.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 11-15-2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixorz View Post
Yup the Gen 6 has bearings and its pretty nice, i traded my gen 6 for the olamic wayferer 247. might end up getting another gen 6 later down the line but going to try a medford micro praetorian first.
LOL! How long did you own the Gen 6 X-18 - a little over a month?

Didn't even know what an Olamic Wayfarer 247 or what a Medfor Mini Praetorian was. Had to look them up. They're all expensive and look entirely different to me. Don't see how you can go "wrong" w/any of them but, if I was collecting at that level, I'd buy them all. Thankfully, I'm NOT at that level yet and hopefully will never get there.

Post a pic of which variation of the Olamic you bought.

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-15-2018 at 3:03 PM..
Old 11-15-2018, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt1372 View Post
The photo's not the greatest (I take lousy pics) but this is what I received at my PO Box today. From top to bottom:

Microtech Halo V
Benchmade Morpho 51
Kershaw Rogue 2001
Spyderco Jani-song
Benchmade Pardue 3550

The Halo V, Jani-song and Rogue were rare finds.
Nice group. Thanks for posting a real picture! How do you like that Halo? Looks like a beast.
Old 11-15-2018, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
LOL!

Thankfully, I'm NOT at that level yet and hopefully will never get there.
Oh YEAH, those HALO's and Spyderco autos are sooooo cheap. Low-rent.

What does that Benchmade Pardue weigh? Just curious how much more than the featherweight 530... that thing feels like it is about 2 ounces. Actually 1.88 - crazy.
Old 11-15-2018, 4:02 PM

Just bought two Kershaw 1050’s off eBay to replace the ONE I lost! Haha
If you have never seen a 1050 google search imo the best knife ever made
Old 11-15-2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Oh YEAH, those HALO's and Spyderco autos are sooooo cheap. Low-rent.
Still haven't spent over $400 on any knife.

I have over 140 knives in my collection now; most bought in the last 2 months which illustrates the extent of the buying binge I've been on. The Halo is the most expensive at $375 but it was something that I just couldn't resist. Only 2 others cost over $300.

Quote:
]What does that Benchmade Pardue weigh? Just curious how much more than the featherweight 530... that thing feels like it is about 2 ounces. Actually 1.88 - crazy.
The Pardue is listed at 2.8 ozs. The Microtech UTX-85 S/E that I also have is listed at 3.10 oz. They both feel the same to me in terms of weight but the UTX is much smaller and seems lighter (even though it's not) as a result.
Old 11-15-2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Nice group. Thanks for posting a real picture! How do you like that Halo? Looks like a beast.
The Halo V is f*cking AMAZING!

4.5" blade shoots out of the housing with authority. I think it would scare the sh*t out of anyone who didn't expect you to deploy it. A definite "fight" stopper.

There's a Tek-lok sheath that came w/later models of the Halo V but I didn't get one (not that I can carry the thing anyway). However, it will fit in your pocket, if you'd got a deep one, but there's no safety on it and the button is exposed and a "accidental" deployment could be seriously damaging.

The Halo VI (which doesn't come w/a sheath) is supposed to have an improved safety but the comments I've read about it indicate that the safety is problematic. So, I'm glad I "found" and got a good deal on this Halo V instead.
Old 11-15-2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody805 View Post
Just bought two Kershaw 1050’s off eBay to replace the ONE I lost! Haha
If you have never seen a 1050 google search imo the best knife ever made
I've seen it. Nice looking knife.

However, I've already bought a variety of other outdoor (hunting/camping) knives (most of which are quite inexpensive) that I like very much, including in no particular order:

Kershaw Foresight (Onion)
Kershaw Scrambler (Martin)
Ruger Hollowpoint +P (Onion)
Benchmade Crooked River
CRKT C/F Folder (Casper)
Buck 110 Hunter Folder
Ontario RAT1
KaBar Mark 98 Folder
Cold Steel Code 4

The best of the bunch IMO in terms of price (less than $20), size (the largest) and usefulness (can do anything/everything) is the C/F Folder. I could use and abuse that knife on camping/hunting trips doing all kinds of tasks and not worry a bit about "ruining" it because it costs so little. It's a GREAT knife!

Last edited by sgt1372; 11-16-2018 at 2:33 PM..
Old 11-15-2018, 6:09 PM
CGSSA Associate

Bret Dowell fixed blade, she's beaut!

Before that a Doug Ritter Mini-RSK Mk1 (added Wilkins BMG mini RL grips).

Old 11-15-2018, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The Halo VI (which doesn't come w/a sheath) is supposed to have an improved safety but the comments I've read about it indicate that the safety is problematic. So, I'm glad I "found" and got a good deal on this Halo V instead.
Nice. Glad you love it. That's definitely the tactical Microtech to get...

I'd get a D/A Utratech tanto myself... but probably wouldn't spring for $265 or so for a fidget spinner basically. I might not always be in CA though.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Microt...-TE-OTF--51738

Last edited by crufflers; 11-15-2018 at 7:05 PM..
Old 11-15-2018, 6:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Still haven't spent over $400 on any knife.
I don't think I spent $300 on a folder. I recall some ZT's over $200... but something like a 0452CF was stretching it for me. Eventually had no problem dropping $400 on a Busse, but at least those go fast and easy on EBAY covering all costs if I decide to liquidate. Actually folders go pretty fast too, but you usually lose money. Maybe more of a comment on Busse's marketing and production strategy than anything... not folder vs fixed. Cool story bro.
Old 11-16-2018, 9:58 AM

Quote:
I don't think I spent $300 on a folder. I recall some ZT's over $200... but something like a 0452CF was stretching it for me. Eventually had no problem dropping $400 on a Busse, but at least those go fast and easy on EBAY covering all costs if I decide to liquidate. Actually folders go pretty fast too, but you usually lose money. Maybe more of a comment on Busse's marketing and production strategy than anything... not folder vs fixed. Cool story bro.
Although I own and have bought a few fixed knives, my current focus is on folders with a sub-interest in automatics, balisongs, fighting knives and knives made by Ken Onion, Kershaw/ZT, CRKT, Benchmade, Spyderco and Microtech. There are SO MANY knives you can buy, that you have to have some focus and these currently are mine.

We all have our own interests and "passions" and I certainly have not collected anything w/for the purpose of "making $" on them.

While my artwork has risen significantly in value over the past 30 years, the value of my firearms or LP collections has not risen as dramatically but, even if it did, in order to "cash out" on those things, I'd have to sell them and that's not even a consideration for a true "collector."

As I've already mentioned, I almost NEVER sell anything I buy. I still have things that I acquired as a teenager (over 50 years ago). One of those things is the Buck 110 that I still own. NEVER going to sell it, even though it's well used and worn. The same applies to all of the knives that I've bought in just the past 2 months, from the cheapest to the most expensive. Not even the clones.

What's the point? I don't need the $. If I did, I would never have spent the $ in the 1st place. All I see is the collection growing further over time until I lose interest and find something else to pay attention to.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
My mental limit right now is $400. Only a few weeks ago, it was $200 but I found that was impractical. However, I'm going to hold tight at $400 because it corresponds to the value of a gun and I do NOT think that it is worth spending that much $ on a knife when I could buy a gun (or an AR upper or an extra G17 slide or another SW M41 barrel) for the same amount. It also helps that the most expensive knives that I'm interested in are below that limit. So, I'm going to stick to that . . . at least for now.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 AM

Not Idaho made...

This is the Sebenza 21 knock-off selling on Gunbroker by for $28 plus shipping from China...No, the scales are not titanium and I strongly doubt the steel is 440C, both noted in the description. It's stiff as heck too...

Yes. I knew what I was buying, I still wanted to see it.

MM
Old 11-16-2018, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Cancelling out bad juju above

Old 11-16-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
Cancelling out bad juju above
Ha! You’re going to be real busy around here if your shtick is removing bad juju from reviews of knife knock-offs
Old 11-16-2018, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

You could go to BIG5 and get a mediocre knife that isn't even stiff or made with bad heat treat... for $10-$15.

It'll be missing the impressive logo of a major maker that it is so obviously not really one of. I dunno why you guys just don't buy a decent budget china made blade like Honey Badger, Kizer, Tuyaknife, etc... and give us a reiview of something others might want to buy. Not many want a Reeve or ZT that's not real... just like we don't want a fake Rolex from TJ. I mean, I had one in HS and a cheap D/A OTF from TJ too, but now we are grown up and on CALGUNS On the internet you can be anything you want. Why do you want to be a connoisseur of knock-off's?

Be what ya like though! 'Murica.
Old 11-16-2018, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

https://www.amazon.com/TUYAKNIFE-Cer...tuyaknife&th=1

Someone out there is bored and wants a new knife under $50... buy one and review it here.
Old 11-16-2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
You could go to BIG5 and get a mediocre knife that isn't even stiff or made with bad heat treat... for $10-$15.

It'll be missing the impressive logo of a major maker that it is so obviously not really one of. I dunno why you guys just don't buy a decent budget china made blade like Honey Badger, Kizer, Tuyaknife, etc... and give us a reiview of something others might want to buy. Not many want a Reeve or ZT that's not real... just like we don't want a fake Rolex from TJ. I mean, I had one in HS and a cheap D/A OTF from TJ too, but now we are grown up and on CALGUNS On the internet you can be anything you want. Why do you want to be a connoisseur of knock-off's?

Hey Chief, I’d never tell you how to spend your money unless you asked nor would I attempt portray you as something you’re obviously not, I’ve posted one picture on CalGuns of a clone knife, I’m hardly a “connoisseur of knock-offs” so get bent, and get off your high horse. You don’t speak for the forum, quit acting like you do.
Old 11-16-2018, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Hey Chief, I’d never tell you how to spend your money unless you asked nor would I attempt portray you as something you’re obviously not, I’ve posted one picture on CalGuns of a clone knife, I’m hardly a “connoisseur of knock-offs” so get bent, and get off your high horse. You don’t speak for the forum, quit acting like you do.
I'm speaking for myself. That's my opinion!!!!!!!!!!! 'Murica!

If you do not wish to be labeled a connoisseur, I can respect that.

If you knock-off guys buy one, please post a really detailed review so we know what we are missing if we don't drop $30 or $100 on one.
Old 11-17-2018, 9:03 AM

BM Grizzly Creek from their Hunt series, picked it up at The Shaver Shop on Telegraph in Oakland, good guys Mike and Max, Mike's old man is still doing the sharpening there.

New to me Tops BOB knife, made an offer on eBay and got a great deal

Idaho Made Reeve/Harsey Pacific, also new to me...

Last edited by MeatyMac; 11-17-2018 at 9:12 AM..
Old 11-17-2018, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
BM Grizzly Creek

Nice. I dig that handle material and tip gimping.
Old 11-17-2018, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zio707 View Post
Bret Dowell fixed blade, she's beaut!
That guy makes some GORGEOUS slipoints. Let's see it!
Old 11-17-2018, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Idaho Made Reeve/Harsey Pacific, also new to me...
Great blade shape. SPEC-OPS sheath or something else?
Old 11-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
SPEC-OPS sheath or something else?
CRK marked, I don't know who makes it for them?

Old 11-17-2018, 2:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Chris Reeves works about a half a mile from my work. I go by there on a daily basis and STILL can't afford anything there. Ugh, dreams though.