Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 72 8.14%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 598 67.57%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 19 2.15%
I paid too much for my Membership! 40 4.52%
They will go out of business this year! 22 2.49%
Don't want anything to do with them! 134 15.14%
Voters: 885. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
The above post now has me interested in FS, I have been gifted two 4 day coupons.

Is there RV parking?

Are there RV sites?

Has anyone stayed there in the RV? If so how noisy is it for my wife and dogs?

When I last checked, the RV park hasnít been built yet. But, you can dry camp in front of the entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 6:58 AM

- Free RV parking right outside the front gate. No hookups or support.
- Several RV Parks in Pahrump, ~20 miles away.
Old 11-12-2018, 7:54 AM
Calguns Addict

OK, I've been off their e-mail list for a few years now (not that I would read them anyway LOL) Does a Presidential membership give you private training? Is it a given number of certificates per year, or certain number of classes a year (does it rollover to the next if unused?) In other words, how does FS ration the amount of classes a President level member can take in a given year?

Are there different levels of President membership?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 11-12-2018, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
OK, I've been off their e-mail list for a few years now (not that I would read them anyway LOL) Does a Presidential membership give you private training? Is it a given number of certificates per year, or certain number of classes a year (does it rollover to the next if unused?) In other words, how does FS ration the amount of classes a President level member can take in a given year?

Are there different levels of President membership?
To my knowledge, President private training is unlimited; however, not guaranteed. It cannot be scheduled more than six months in advance. I find it is limited when demand exceeds supply - basically, first come first served. Not sure about different President levels.
Old 11-12-2018, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
To my knowledge, President private training is unlimited; however, not guaranteed. It cannot be scheduled more than six months in advance. I find it is limited when demand exceeds supply - basically, first come first served. Not sure about different President levels.
Totally agree. First come, first served. you can only scheduled a couple of days in a row. There is no limit to the number of times you can go per year as long as you can get a calendar spot. The level of President is based on the number of people you can take with you to private training. The original option was member plus either 4 or 5 (I don't remember). Then it was offered for a different cost and different options on how many you can take. I have President 3. Meaning, I can take me and two others for private training.

I believe that the private training certs are only for the person holding them, meaning just you.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2018, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
Totally agree. First come, first served. you can only scheduled a couple of days in a row. There is no limit to the number of times you can go per year as long as you can get a calendar spot. The level of President is based on the number of people you can take with you to private training. The original option was member plus either 4 or 5 (I don't remember). Then it was offered for a different cost and different options on how many you can take. I have President 3. Meaning, I can take me and two others for private training.

I believe that the private training certs are only for the person holding them, meaning just you.

Hope that helps.
Ah, so that's why my membership is called 1 President as I can't bring anyone. Thanks for clarifying that.
Old 11-12-2018, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, but what if you are short of the number of people that are allotted to go? For instance if I planned to go with five friends and one decides to drop out?

What if you are president level III and only one guy decides to go with you?

Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM
CGN Contributor

The President # level is just the max guests you can have. I can bring a few, but I go alone.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nszzya View Post
Almost sounds like government provided healthcare. Basically rationed as demand exceeds supply.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but what if you are short of the number of people that are allotted to go? For instance if I planned to go with five friends and one decides to drop out?

What if you are president level III and only one guy decides to go with you?
you can go with less than your max but not more. The last time I booked it was just me and another friend. The real value is to be able to instruction on anything that FS offers. My last time was two days in a row. The first day was the stuff taught during day two of Adv Tac Handgun. The second day was day one of HCMP.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2018, 3:06 PM

any veterans in the group?

If so, first off thank you for your service.

secondly: https://www.frontsight.com/VeteranTh...ieKl1q7yVy-iSE
Old 11-12-2018, 3:07 PM

Old 11-12-2018, 3:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
The President # level is just the max guests you can have. I can bring a few, but I go alone.
Quote:
you can go with less than your max but not more. The last time I booked it was just me and another friend. The real value is to be able to instruction on anything that FS offers. My last time was two days in a row. The first day was the stuff taught during day two of Adv Tac Handgun. The second day was day one of HCMP.

Hope that helps.
Much appreciated the answers, gentlemen.

Old 11-12-2018, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post

Just did it for my wife and I, $1000 Iggy Bucks each!

Front Sight President / Heritage Member
Old 11-13-2018, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
The above post now has me interested in FS, I have been gifted two 4 day coupons.

Is there RV parking?

Are there RV sites?

Has anyone stayed there in the RV? If so how noisy is it for my wife and dogs?
We camp outside the gate with no issues. It's all dry camping and primitive, but lots of space and level areas to setup.

Our pups stay in the RV at the camping area and we go have lunch with them at noon each day. It's not loud enough to scare or stress dogs out there, but some do camp even further away if that's a concern. It's all just public BLM land.

Last edited by DesertClimber; 11-13-2018 at 6:13 AM..
Old 11-13-2018, 7:01 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Just took the 4DHG class with some Calguns members (or didn't know they were until we found out they were from Cali) and had a great time.

My girlfriend DG'd for the first time and was the only girl to DG in our class and she's over the moon. So proud of her. She also made it to the Semi final on the man on man but was only beat on time. We shoot pretty much every week if not twice a week at home and her improvement (although shes already a great shooter) really show as well as her confidence. So now its Tactical Handgun time.

Purchase any 2 kits and get 20% off your full order.
Purchase any 3 kits and get 25% off your full order.
Purchase any 4 or more kits and get 30% off your full order.

http://armaglock.com

Note: Limited time only

.308 KINGPINS IN PRODUCTION

Kingpin and Hyperswitch FAQ and troubleshoot

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1428078
Old 11-14-2018, 7:53 AM

Quote:
...what if you are short of the number of people that are allotted to go?
I saw you already got the answer to your question, but you can also combine president training groups. For instance I'm a regular president and I got my wife president 3. FS Admin explained if we wanted to bring the max guests for each of us, it's not a problem to all be on the same range. Private range party! So if you and a buddy have a P3, you can bring up to six guests, plus you two, all in the same private range.

So far the max people in a private for me has been 5, for three days. It would be fun to do a private group of about 8 or 9 if we bring guests on my wife's account, too!

Last edited by DesertClimber; 11-14-2018 at 7:56 AM..
Old 11-14-2018, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Just signed up for a 4 day marksmanship class. Not right after TactHG and ATHG, though. This body probably can't take 8 days of FS. Does anyone know the difference between the 4 Day Rifle Marksmanship class and the 4 Day Practical Rifle? I can't really tell from the course description. I remember 4DPR no longer shoot from 400 yards, like in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertClimber View Post
I saw you already got the answer to your question, but you can also combine president training groups. For instance I'm a regular president and I got my wife president 3. FS Admin explained if we wanted to bring the max guests for each of us, it's not a problem to all be on the same range. Private range party! So if you and a buddy have a P3, you can bring up to six guests, plus you two, all in the same private range.

So far the max people in a private for me has been 5, for three days. It would be fun to do a private group of about 8 or 9 if we bring guests on my wife's account, too!

Fun!

Can you sign up for a private course by yourself? Does it have to be along the lines of a class already offered by FS? For instance, you want a carbine-only version of Advanced Long Gun (just like the old Advanced Rifle)

Old 11-14-2018, 2:56 PM
Veteran Member

4dpr shoots from 100 and in. Round count is 500. Not much is taught regarding marksmanship other than hold overs for inside of 50 yards for head shots. 4dpr is geared towards the AR platform.

The marksmanship is centered around just that. Doping, understanding come ups, positional shooting and other marksmanship related things that practical just doesnít address.
Old 11-15-2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Fun!

Can you sign up for a private course by yourself? Does it have to be along the lines of a class already offered by FS? For instance, you want a carbine-only version of Advanced Long Gun (just like the old Advanced Rifle)
Yes, with a president membership the member can just go alone if so desired. I didn't want to lay around in the dirt alone during a private precision rifle class in 2016, so DRM6000 joined that time. (My only trip shooting with a CalGuns member) I almost always invite someone. Sometimes it's more fun with a friend, sometimes the focus is better alone. I will say several of the folks that have attended privately with me now have their own president memberships. They get hooked!

You can kind of do whatever you want in a private class (in the basic spirit of the courses offered) as long as you get an instructor that is not totally scripted.

We've done a private long gun tactical where we just put the shotguns back in their cases and ran carbines and pistols the entire time. When the instructor saw we weren't complete dopes he had my Wife and I running two-person tactics for entering rooms and working/moving/shooting together. That was super fun & we learned a lot!

I really do think it depends on the instructor and course level you're trying to work on. Probably moreso the instructor when it comes down to it.

Last edited by DesertClimber; 11-15-2018 at 6:12 AM..
Old 11-15-2018, 3:14 PM

definitely depends on the Instructor, their experience but also the students and their individual skill sets.
if the Instructor feels you're safe and proficient, they're more inclined to go 'off script' and tailor the course around you.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi54 View Post
definitely depends on the Instructor, their experience but also the students and their individual skill sets.
if the Instructor feels you're safe and proficient, they're more inclined to go 'off script' and tailor the course around you.
True true, I'm sure the instructor wouldn't want to try and get a student in over their head. Although some instructors are very scripted, no matter what. *shrug*

Jeng (sp?) comes to mind- we had a private day of shotgun with him.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
True true, I'm sure the instructor wouldn't want to try and get a student in over their head. Although some instructors are very scripted, no matter what. *shrug*

Matt Jeng? Is he one who sticks to the scripts, or is he one of the more flexible instructor?

Old 11-16-2018, 2:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I had an instructor (I can't remember his name now) that kept referring to his curriculum notes for the next drill in private long gun tactics. I even asked if there were other drills we could do and no dice. It made for kind of a boring class as I was the only student. Unfortunately, I didn't learn anything new. I was hoping for at least some nuggets of wisdom, but I don't think the instructor had a .mil or LE background (we had a lot of time to chat and I learned about his background.)
Old 11-16-2018, 2:52 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes, with a president membership the member can just go alone if so desired. I didn't want to lay around in the dirt alone during a private precision rifle class in 2016, so DRM6000 joined that time. (My only trip shooting with a CalGuns member) I almost always invite someone. Sometimes it's more fun with a friend, sometimes the focus is better alone. I will say several of the folks that have attended privately with me now have their own president memberships. They get hooked!

You can kind of do whatever you want in a private class (in the basic spirit of the courses offered) as long as you get an instructor that is not totally scripted.

We've done a private long gun tactical where we just put the shotguns back in their cases and ran carbines and pistols the entire time. When the instructor saw we weren't complete dopes he had my Wife and I running two-person tactics for entering rooms and working/moving/shooting together. That was super fun & we learned a lot!

I really do think it depends on the instructor and course level you're trying to work on. Probably moreso the instructor when it comes down to it.
Yup, you got me hooked and I upgraded to President.

IMO, Ken is a cool guy to talk to so a PR class alone with him would not have been a bad time at all.
Old 11-16-2018, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I had an instructor (I can't remember his name now) that kept referring to his curriculum notes for the next drill in private long gun tactics. I even asked if there were other drills we could do and no dice. It made for kind of a boring class as I was the only student. Unfortunately, I didn't learn anything new. I was hoping for at least some nuggets of wisdom, but I don't think the instructor had a .mil or LE background (we had a lot of time to chat and I learned about his background.)
Does one have a choice of instructors for private training?

Old 11-16-2018, 7:13 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Does one have a choice of instructors for private training?
Nope. I think they just schedule whoever they can when they can. I did a half-day empty hand with half-day edged weapons last Dec. The instructor was dressed to work outdoors and had to go remove his thermals for our indoor class. He got his assignment that morning.
Old 11-17-2018, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Matt Jeng? Is he one who sticks to the scripts, or is he one of the more flexible instructor?
That's him. A good instructor, but he tends to be more scripted and the private day we had wasn't as relaxed or as fun as with other instructors. During our day of shotgun with him we only took a single skills test at noon, so he did run us through some advanced handgun stuff afterwards, however. Still a great guy and shooter/instructor, though!

Quote:
... It made for kind of a boring class as I was the only student. Unfortunately, I didn't learn anything new. I was hoping for at least some nuggets of wisdom, but I don't think the instructor had a .mil or LE background...
That's what I miss about Will Wills no longer being there. He was always on point, very knowledgeable and super flexible. He would communicate the obviously needed info, then it was from the hip during private stuff. If you were keeping up and he saw you could handle more, he would push you to think and really learn new stuff. He just made everything really fun.
Old 11-17-2018, 1:28 PM

Jeng is awesome in large classes, I've had him quite a few times.
He doesn't RM / Instruct much these days as he mainly works behind the scenes in Admin now.
I think one too many injuries finally took their toll.