Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-21-2013, 8:44 PM

crosseyed, that's a lot of dry firing! this is actually old news. it does happen. since you are a student, the cheapest route would be to contact glock and you would simply send the complete upper. nothing really to it.

Bruce Lee
Old 01-21-2013, 8:57 PM

I didn't believe this at first but after a google search of "glock gen 3 breach face" this was the first result

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92986

when you dry fire do you let the slide run forward under the power of the recoil spring or do you ease it forward?

I ask because of the circular crack seams curious
Old 01-21-2013, 9:04 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M27 View Post
when you dry fire do you let the slide run forward under the power of the recoil spring or do you ease it forward?
You only have to cycle the slide about 1/4" to reset the trigger during dry fire sessions. No reason you need to fully rack the slide every time.
Old 01-21-2013, 9:10 PM

Quote:

While breech faces can crack from dropping the slide on an empty chamber -- 1911's especially! -- it doesn't seem like that's what happened here. They break in a circle like that because the rest of the breech face is supported by the barrel and cannot move forwards. The part that covers the chamber isn't supported by anything. Whether it's the striker slamming into the back of it and cracking it along the line where the support ends, or the breech face cracking due to its own inertia when the slide slams into battery w/out a round going into the chamber and acting like a buffer then acting as breech face support itself when it headspaces, the crack from either cause will look similar for the same reason (supported area vs. unsupported).

My YouTube Channel
Old 01-21-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
Yep ^

I find it hilarious that some people think that Glocks are somehow indestructible. They are firearms just like every other firearm. Eventually things break, especially with improper use.
Glock marketing perhaps? I seem to recall Glock claiming that dry firing was okay. But that was 20 yrs ago and my memory may be failing.
Glock 33 357SIG - Sig Sauer P250SC .40/357SIG
Glock 23 - Glock 27 .40
Glock 20 - Glock 29SF 10mm
Desert Eagle MkVII .44
Sig Sauer P220 - Sig Sauer P227R - Sig Sauer 1911R - Glock 30SF - S.A. 1911 Mil Spec .45
Old 01-21-2013, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed View Post

Sorry to hear about your problem, but this was a great response!

Good luck with GLOCK.

WTB used AK MFER.
Old 01-21-2013, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

This seems more reasonable than the firing pin. But clearly something happened, and Glock knows it happens, and will take care of it.

Glock knew there was a problem with the Gen4s as well.

Anyways, If it is firing pin related, the snap caps with the little rubber piece to catch the firing pin are probably too soft, and I would imagine the pin still hits the back of the breach-face like that, though, slightly cushioned.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumas1012 View Post
Sorry to be off topic, but why is your grammar almost perfect on all your posts, but the note you wrote looked like it was written by a 2nd grader?

That's how doctors write!!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM

It won't break?? In my 23 years of 100ks of rounds shot, 9 years of FFL and handled 100s of guns, Glock was the only one broke/blewup/brass-in-face on me. But this one is news to me... and it seems to be a common problem too. I wonder how my Gen2 G19 from 1989 with 100ks dry firing is holding up.

You don't have to pull the slide all the way back and slam it to dry fire. about 1/2" rear ward would cock it. the circular breakage seems to be 'peening' effect from the barrel hood with empty chamber. Actual firing ping strike shouldn't cause that. I believe the pin would break off before taking out a chunk that big. Anyway, I've lost faith in Glock long ago... after i understood faith requires no empirical proof.

Last edited by huckberry668; 01-21-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosseyed View Post
17, 9mm. Approx 800 rounds through it, purchased NIB.

Def. going to see if Glock will give me a replacement slide. It was just a baby!
Wow, only 800, that's nuthin'! A Gen 3 9mm in a 17 should be the most trouble free Glock platform.
Thanks for letting us know of a possible problem. I'd like to hear Glock's take on this defect when you talk to them.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
While breech faces can crack from dropping the slide on an empty chamber -- 1911's especially! -- it doesn't seem like that's what happened here. They break in a circle like that because the rest of the breech face is supported by the barrel and cannot move forwards. The part that covers the chamber isn't supported by anything. Whether it's the striker slamming into the back of it and cracking it along the line where the support ends, or the breech face cracking due to its own inertia when the slide slams into battery w/out a round going into the chamber and acting like a buffer then acting as breech face support itself when it headspaces, the crack from either cause will look similar for the same reason (supported area vs. unsupported).
all makes since, thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynvolt View Post
Physically impossible for the striker to blow through the billet of steel like that. If the striker could do that, I'd hate to see what a live round would do since it surely is pulsing the shell backwards as hard as it is propelling the projectile forward, which is under far more pressure than a little spring powered striker.

Good story though, I've seen it posted elsewhere, with a similar photo attached.
Not true about the rearward "pulse" against the breech face. The brass case expands upon firing and stiction keeps the brass in the chamber, not the breech face.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Doesn't make sense. Glocks are designed to be dry fired prior to removing the slide.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member

Dry firing would not cause this issue. It is a slide defect.

Notice the fracture on the breach face is suspiciously the same diameter of the bullet casing? The casing is going to provide more force on the breach face then the firing pin ever will. The action of the pistol firing would create that fracture but given geometry of the slide would not allow it to travel rearward, only forward. Hence why the firing pin would be the determining force to push the breach forward.

DRY FIRING IS NOT THE ISSUE. DRY FIRING A GLOCK PISTOL WILL NOT CAUSE DAMAGE.

This is a factory defect plain and simple, contact Glock and they will resolve the issue.

Kevin
Old 01-22-2013, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
Doesn't make sense. Glocks are designed to be dry fired prior to removing the slide.
This is why your not supposed to clean Glocks.

OP 800 rounds its a QC issue no doubt.
Old 01-22-2013, 1:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Dry fire away. This is a 1-in-100000 occurrence. If it happens, contact Glock and they'll replace the slide.
That estimate is still relatively high in occurrence. I bet you the rate of failure is 10 to 100 times lower.

My Glock 19 is about 14 years old and hasn't cracked through more dry fires than I care to imagine.

By contrast, my M&P firing pin broke with dryfire within weeks of owning it.

I am certain this type of failure on a Glock can happen, but it is likely very very rare.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 01-22-2013, 7:29 AM

Default From a Mechanical Engineer's Perspective...

My engineering coworkers and I took a look at this and we have a question for you. Have you allowed the slide to slam against the chamber w/o a snap cap repeatedly? If there was a manufacturing defect, such as improper hardening, repeatedly allowing the slide to slam against the chamber face would fatigue the metal and cause the crack to appear.

IMHO the striker did not cause the original crack, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Contact Glock and they should give you a new slide under warranty.

But, do answer if you have repeatedly allowed the slide to return unhindered (i.e. letting it slam shut instead of controlling it with your hand). It will help us all in determining how the crack happened.

Last edited by madsend81; 01-22-2013 at 7:31 AM.. Reason: Added Title to Post
Old 01-22-2013, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Dry fire away. This is a 1-in-100000 occurrence. If it happens, contact Glock and they'll replace the slide.

Exactly!
Old 01-22-2013, 7:58 AM
Dates Hi-Profile Chicks
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsend81 View Post
My engineering coworkers and I took a look at this and we have a question for you. Have you allowed the slide to slam against the chamber w/o a snap cap repeatedly? If there was a manufacturing defect, such as improper hardening, repeatedly allowing the slide to slam against the chamber face would fatigue the metal and cause the crack to appear.

IMHO the striker did not cause the original crack, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Contact Glock and they should give you a new slide under warranty.

But, do answer if you have repeatedly allowed the slide to return unhindered (i.e. letting it slam shut instead of controlling it with your hand). It will help us all in determining how the crack happened.
That actually sounds like a plausible reason. Remember, you don't need to pull the slide all the way back on a Glock to reset the trigger. I probably only go back about 3/4 of an inch.
Old 01-22-2013, 8:01 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry to be off topic, but why is your grammar almost perfect on all your posts, but the note you wrote looked like it was written by a 2nd grader?
His mom helps.

Why dry fire a zillion times without a snap cap anyway?
Old 01-22-2013, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
His mom helps.

Why dry fire a zillion times without a snap cap anyway?
Just doesn't make any damn sense does it? This thread is just weird.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM

The striker is propelled by a ~5.5# spring. The surface of the striker that makes contact to the back side of the breech face is ~1/8", the channel is slightly larger, maybe 5/32". The breech face thickness where the striker hits is ~1/16" thick. The striker could not possibly blow through the breech face. If it did manage such a feat, the crack or hole would not match the case diameter of a 9mm. It would be closer to the size of the striker channel.

I appreciate the OP posting a photo, which legitimized the damage but I still stand by what I said. Their was obviously damage to the slide from something else, not from dry firing.

The rounds absolutely create more force to the breech than the firing pin, doesn't matter if the cartridge is flush to the breech face. The striker isn't heavy enough, being propelled by a 5.5# spring 1/4" to create sufficient pinging to create that damage.

I'm not some glock fanboi, I'm just dispelling a common glock myth that dry firing a glock will blow out the breech face.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Old news. My theory is that the breach face weakens in a circular fashion (casing) as seen in the picture by the explosions of chambered rounds. Then constant dry firing continues to put stress on this circular weakpoint until it eventually cracks. The slide may have been improperly heat treated/hardened? No idea as to why it happens to some and not others.. At any rate, I will not hesitate to continue dry firing my glock. I look forward to the day it breaks
Old 01-22-2013, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

FUD.....glocks cant break from dry firing becuz all the glockbois says so. They also say tires on ur trucks dont wear down faster if u drive drive with a heavy foot and perform drift maneuvers on tight turns.

Hence I use snapcaps on all my guns.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM

It's not dryfiring that cause this issue...it's termites! LOL

OP, sorry if I missed this, but how old is this Glock again? Age wise, not round count, please.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM

Man, this board really hates on Glocks I notice. Sucks about your G-ride dude, let us know what happens.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:27 PM

I have had to contact Glock myself a few times. They will repair or replace new or even used guns(industry trade ins,ect.) if you ware them out as long as they are stock so if you have to send it back be sure you remove all non factory parts.
Contact Glock and follow the directions they give you. Be prepared, it cost me $85. to ship to them via FedEx. Check UPS for a price. Same day overnight only. Give them a chance,they stand by their product.
Good luck!
" A Free People Ought Not Only Be Armed And Disciplined But Should Have Sufficient Arms And Ammunition To Maintain A Status Of Independence From Any Who Might Attempt To Abuse Them, Which Also Includes Their Own Government."
~George Washington~
Old 01-23-2013, 8:30 PM

It happened to my budies gun a few years ago. On his the whole breechface fell out.

Call Glock
Old 01-23-2013, 8:34 PM

Nothing wrong with dry firing. Been doing it for over 20 years.
Old 01-23-2013, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Hopefully Glock picks up the tab and gets you back to shooting!!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
thats a silly personal attack and it should be beneath you to say that to a fellow Calgunner. My writing is kind of sloppy as well... Ever had to write in a back of a turbulent vehicle going lights and sirens? not everyone writes prissy and straight. Its like watching the gait of a sailor on land. You can always tell a man that has spent his life on the water. He has a rolling type of walk. My writing is like that I guess. As long as I can read it then its fine. Maybe I am over reacting but this comment just set me off.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterSpool View Post
Man, this board really hates on Glocks I notice.
Ineffective shooters bashing a solid platform. Not suprising with this group.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wow never seen that before. Hopefully Glock takes care of it for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks for sharing an interesting failure, tagging to watch the outcome.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterSpool View Post
Man, this board really hates on Glocks I notice. Sucks about your G-ride dude, let us know what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Ineffective shooters bashing a solid platform. Not suprising with this group.
I've noticed that too. Seems like a lot of posters on here fit the profile of somebody with money to spend who just wants to buy something "cool" and not really get into the martial art that is firearms manipulation. In every Glock thread ever in the history of Calguns people show up out of nowhere to post stupid one-liners and photographs of broken Glocks in the hopes that the rest of the internet will suddenly start to respect them knowledgeable gun gurus.

Funny how those of us who train with and carry handguns as a regular part of our lives tend to agree on certain things... "All guns should be Glocks, all Glocks should be 9mm, and all Glock 9mms should be 19s"
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Resident Pork Rind Expert

Can we turn the discussion to something that may be more generally helpful than the like or dislike of Glocks?

Based on the information in this thread so far, the general consensus seems to be that this is a defect that is unlikely to be very common (Gryff suggested that it's a 1-in-100000 occurrence, and IPSICK suggested that this is an overestimation which may be off by a factor of 10 or 100.)

So, my question is: When I purchase a new Glock (or ANY handgun for that matter), how many rounds should I put through it in order to satisfy myself that my new Glock (or other handgun) is not defective? Is there a minimum number?

In other words, what's the best way to ensure that this type of defect doesn't present itself when your life is on the line?

It seems to me that this question is a valid question, regardless of whether we're talking about Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Ruger, or whatever.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:49 PM

Shoot no more than 500 rounds, then replace your gun(s). Problem solved.

Maybe that's just me but it is fun to buy more guns...

Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

It goes without question that glocks are excellent firearms. but some of you worship james yeager way too much.. cough* tuna
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born To Glock View Post
Can we turn the discussion to something that may be more generally helpful than the like or dislike of Glocks?

Based on the information in this thread so far, the general consensus seems to be that this is a defect that is unlikely to be very common (Gryff suggested that it's a 1-in-100000 occurrence, and IPSICK suggested that this is an overestimation which may be off by a factor of 10 or 100.)

So, my question is: When I purchase a new Glock (or ANY handgun for that matter), how many rounds should I put through it in order to satisfy myself that my new Glock (or other handgun) is not defective? Is there a minimum number?

In other words, what's the best way to ensure that this type of defect doesn't present itself when your life is on the line?

It seems to me that this question is a valid question, regardless of whether we're talking about Glocks, Sigs, S&W, Ruger, or whatever.
two thousand three hundred and seventy two rounds. the magic #
Old 01-24-2013, 1:03 PM
Cantankerous old coot

I am not surprised. After all, we learned in this thread:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ighlight=glock

that GLOCKs only last 4 years...

Interesting failure. I am going to inspect my GLOCKs and see if any of them have any cracking.