Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 07-11-2017, 3:25 PM

Default Have CA CCW, question about NV non-res CCW

I have my CA CCW (unbelievable but true). I don't go to a lot of states, but I find myself in NV at least a few times a year, and AZ about the same. I also go to TX occasionally

CA works in AZ and TX, but not NV. So if I get my NV non-res CCW, it will work in NV and many other states. Is there a better non-res CCW permit from another state that will work in NV and even more states?

Do I need to go to NV for any part of the process? I understand NV requires training. Can I get NV non-res CCW training in SoCal?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2017, 3:49 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

AZ CCW works for NV, and you can get it by mail since you have a CA CCW.

You must go to NV for a permit if you want one. You can not train in CA for NV permit.

Because of federal gun free school zone laws, I always suggest you get a CCW in any state you plan to spend time, regardless of the fact that any of your other CCW may be recognized there.

You are only exempt from gun free school zone laws if you have a CCW issued by the state you are currently in when within 1000 feet of the boundary line of any school, while having a loaded gun on you.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 07-11-2017, 5:35 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech
Do I need to go to NV for any part of the process? I understand NV requires training. Can I get NV non-res CCW training in SoCal?
You need to do all of it in NV.
NV CCW training must be done in NV.

The county in which you do your NV CCW training in, also determines which NV Sheriff Department you apply to.
^Each Sheriff Department has their own list of approved CCW trainers. Not all CCW trainers are accepted by every NV issuing agency.

After completing the NV CCW class, you need to submit your application in person.
^During which you will be live-scanned and photographed.

The NV issuing agency has up to 120 days to approve or deny your NV CCW permit application.
^If approved, they will mail it to the address listed on your application.

I have had a NV non-resident CFP since 2004.
I retained it, because NV had a habit of dropping other States' permits they honor. (NV laws required a yearly review, during which some States were dropped)
However, about 2 years ago, NV changed their laws to make it easier for other States to be honored. So, them adding and then dropping States, should not be happening anymore. (but, nothing is certain)

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 07-11-2017 at 5:59 PM..
Old 07-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
AZ CCW works for NV, and you can get it by mail since you have a CA CCW.
I did not realize AZ is good in NV. I was looking at a map that showed it wasn't. However, I have verified that AZ is good in NV.

So next question is training....I got my CA CCW through my county sheriff, which is also where I did my training. Does the training I got qualify for AZ?

I also have my CA hunter safety course certificate from 30 years ago.

NEVERMIND. I found my answer. The following is the exemption to training I would fall under. THANKS!
6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

Last edited by beachtech; 07-12-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Old 07-12-2017, 6:17 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
I did not realize AZ is good in NV. I was looking at a map that showed it wasn't. However, I have verified that AZ is good in NV.
Since you are going the AZ CCW route to be covered in NV, post any questions you may have on NV laws.

NV laws pertaining to carrying are different those for CA and AZ.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-12-2017, 6:26 PM
Banned

Texas has non-Resident LTC. Here's the map.

Mine works in NV. Of course you need to take your LTC training in TX though. There's tons of classes everywhere though.

Old 07-12-2017, 8:29 PM

I found FL to be the best choice...
Old 08-09-2017, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
You need to do all of it in NV.
NV CCW training must be done in NV.

The county in which you do your NV CCW training in, also determines which NV Sheriff Department you apply to.
^Each Sheriff Department has their own list of approved CCW trainers. Not all CCW trainers are accepted by every NV issuing agency.

After completing the NV CCW class, you need to submit your application in person.
^During which you will be live-scanned and photographed.

The NV issuing agency has up to 120 days to approve or deny your NV CCW permit application.
^If approved, they will mail it to the address listed on your application.

I have had a NV non-resident CFP since 2004.
I retained it, because NV had a habit of dropping other States' permits they honor. (NV laws required a yearly review, during which some States were dropped)
However, about 2 years ago, NV changed their laws to make it easier for other States to be honored. So, them adding and then dropping States, should not be happening anymore. (but, nothing is certain)
This is great info thank you Quiet!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM

I have CA, NV, OR, UT, WA and will have an enhanced ID once I get my picture taken on Aug. 22. Neither WA or ID get me any extra states but as others have stated, reciprocity changes as states change their laws and rules. There is also the federal 1000 ft school zone rule to consider.