Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-12-2013, 8:40 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Competetiors, how fast are you?

A couple of years ago at a Las Vegas GSSF match the factory GLOCK Armorer had a little contest that challenged competitors to field strip a GLOCK in 5 seconds or less, and the winners received a prize.

Anyone else here field strip there pistol in sub five seconds?

Old 08-12-2013, 8:50 AM

Not really a useful skill. My M&P is just as easy to field strip, as is my Beretta.
Old 08-12-2013, 8:58 AM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
Not really a useful skill. My M&P is just as easy to field strip, as is my Beretta.
Definitely, probably not that practical, but it was a fun little competition at a match while I was waiting to shoot, and trying to stay out of the rain. I am not familiar enough with the M&P to say otherwise, but my I don't think I could do it in 5 seconds with my 90-Two. Heck it takes me 5 seconds just to separate the internal recoil buffer from the bbl. But I guess not all Berettas have that....
Old 08-12-2013, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed Jon View Post
M&P easy to field strip??? you must have tiny tiny fingers, I could never reach that lever without a darn screwdriver.

I would give them a run for their money with my XD though. In fact I might make a video when I get home.
Old 08-12-2013, 9:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Was it already clean? Because it takes me more than 5 seconds to get that filthy plunger out.
Old 08-12-2013, 9:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Oh field strip. Haha, 5 seconds? Might have to try that at home with the par timer.
Old 08-12-2013, 9:43 AM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin Dallas View Post
Was it already clean? Because it takes me more than 5 seconds to get that filthy plunger out.
LOL, yea the handgun in the video was already clean.
Old 08-12-2013, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Location: Roseville area, or wherever they pay my confiscatory rates for things only I know how to do (lol)

So, maybe there is a lull in the fight and you want to clean your Glock so it will be perfect if the fight starts up again ...

I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE
Old 08-12-2013, 9:45 AM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTactics View Post
So, maybe there is a lull in the fight and you want to clean your Glock so it will be perfect if the fight starts up again ...
I hadn't thought about it like that. Since the IDPA rules are currently under review, maybe we could add a Tactical Speed Clean to the rule book.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM

I tried this with my XD. After 7 attempts, I'm down to 3.3sec. That with me hitting the start and stop on an iphone app.

I'll bet someone can get sub 3sec times.
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

I've never understood the self-confessors....
Old 08-12-2013, 1:01 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
I hadn't thought about it like that. Since the IDPA rules are currently under review, maybe we could add a Tactical Speed Clean to the rule book.

You would probably STILL get a procedural!

Scott
Old 08-12-2013, 1:27 PM
CGSSA Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
I tried this with my XD. After 7 attempts, I'm down to 3.3sec. That with me hitting the start and stop on an iphone app.

I'll bet someone can get sub 3sec times.
Ooooh...Very nice. Are you starting with the slide locked to the rear and the pistol tabled? Any video, not that I don't believe you, I just don't know what it takes to breakdown an XD.

I have heard of people getting sub 4, but I am not sure about sub 3, at least with a GLOCK anyway. When they did the competition at the match, you had to hit the start and stop timer as well and all the pieces had to remain on the cleaning mat they provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post

You would probably STILL get a procedural!

Scott
Probably....
Old 08-12-2013, 1:38 PM

I think that there should be a stage that begins with your gun broken down in pieces on a table. You have to put it together and holster, clock stops, make ready, clock begins at again at beep. To me, speeding up putting together a gun under pressure might be a more realistic and usable scenario. The same way loading up a magazine with rounds is.
Old 08-12-2013, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4v0s View Post
M&P easy to field strip??? you must have tiny tiny fingers, I could never reach that lever without a darn screwdriver.
When you don't have the magazine disconnect it is easy. Just hit the take down lever, drop slide, pull the trigger, and the whole thing comes apart.
Old 08-15-2013, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
Ooooh...Very nice. Are you starting with the slide locked to the rear and the pistol tabled? Any video, not that I don't believe you, I just don't know what it takes to breakdown an XD.

I have heard of people getting sub 4, but I am not sure about sub 3, at least with a GLOCK anyway. When they did the competition at the match, you had to hit the start and stop timer as well and all the pieces had to remain on the cleaning mat they provided.

Probably....
Starting same as in the video. Slide locked on the table, which is an advantage on an XD, since that is the starting point for field stripping.

If the slide was forward it would add another second at least.
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

I've never understood the self-confessors....