Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-15-2013, 5:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Default California HSC

I went and got my California HSC today.

I got my Type-03 C&R about a couple of months ago.

All I got left, is to get my Certificate of Eligibility, (COE).

Then, I plan on heading on up to WA and collecting a couple of pistols I inherited from my Father. (Colt Vest Pocket 1908)

I believe, when I get back, I get some number of days to do the self-registration thing.

Anyhow... this thread is about the HSC. I took it, and the only question I got wrong is that one needs to be 21 years of age to purchase a handgun, not 18. I guess, I got confused because I read the California code and saw that one needed to be 18 to transfer... I got that confused with purchase.... anyhow, getting just one question wrong is not too bad I suppose.

On to the question... When I was doing this test, I was amazed as to the questions being asked. Even though, I have been away from firearms for 25+ years or so ... all the safety questions were like ... I thought everyone knows this!!!

So here is the question ... Does anyone fail the HSC test???

Last edited by krwada; 10-17-2013 at 10:29 PM..
Old 10-15-2013, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes
Old 10-15-2013, 5:36 PM

My wife is still giving me crap about this.

She got 100% and I missed 5 questions, but I passed.
(I think I just read it too fast)

"A free society asks not why people want or need their freedom. It asks why government would restrict it."
Old 10-15-2013, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Be surprised !!

Same as tricky dmv questions
Old 10-15-2013, 5:39 PM

You can miss up to 7 and still pass that test. Frankly, I would hesitate to sell a handgun to someone who actually failed that test.

I've being working around guns since 1997 and administered countless BFSC and HSC tests. Have not got anyone who actually failed that test myself. Few close calls and heard a few funny stories.
NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer. Any question, please feel free to sent e-mail to ontargetrange@sbcglobal.net or visit our forum on Calguns under vendor section!
Old 10-15-2013, 5:40 PM

I missed one question, have a feeling I will allways get that question wrong. Some about the age of a new gun owner.....

1911Tuner (That one's my own. I'm a rescuer. It's What I do.)
Old 10-15-2013, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
You can miss up to 7 and still pass that test. Frankly, I would hesitate to sell a handgun to someone who actually failed that test.

I've being working around guns since 1997 and administered countless BFSC and HSC tests. Have not got anyone who actually failed that test myself. Few close calls and heard a few funny stories.
What if you're in another state that doesn't require the HSC, won't you sell your gun?
Old 10-15-2013, 5:43 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy1911 View Post
I missed one question, have a feeling I will allways get that question wrong. Some about the age of a new gun owner.....
That is the one question I got wrong too. I got mixed up between TRANSFER and PURCHASE ... almost the same ... but not quite.
Old 10-15-2013, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone with common sense can failed HSC test.
Old 10-15-2013, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

I did mine at Reeds Indoor Range and it was rather amusing, I got all of them correct of the person conducting the test for me asked me to show him my hands.

I was thinking wtf for but did it anyway. He told me it is normal to get 3 answers wrong but since I got them all correct he wanted to check and see if I cheated and wrote notes in my hands.

We laughed about it, rented a Beretta Px4 Storm that day and bought it later too on the spot.

There are a few tricky questions you have to read CAREFULLY or you'll get nailed. For example, one of the question asked was can you shoot an trespasser. Many people would go like "yeah! He kicked in my door, now he'll bleed on my floor!" and answered "yes". That would be a wrong answer.

See, the tick is the word "trespasser", you CANNOT shoot someone just because he/she is in your property. Because many people in California lives in Condo, they assume that "trespasser" == "violent home invader".
Old 10-15-2013, 6:48 PM
Veteran Member

I didn't find it tricky or difficult at all. Aside from specifics like legal age for purchase, everything else was pretty much common sense. No sense in rushing either. Just like shooting, if you rush you'll screw it up.

FS: various Glock accessories
Old 10-15-2013, 7:01 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I took my wife handgun shopping, and she took it cold - 100% right.

Of course, she has had to listen to me mutter for a few years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-15-2013, 7:05 PM

Yep, all the common sense questions are idiotic. I haven't taken that test in 12 years and I still remember how stupid the questions are.
Old 10-15-2013, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

I only missed the 1 the very first time I got my HSC. The one about felons and guns. Like how long til they are able to have them. I put 7 years. I was getting bankrupsy mixed up which it's stays on your credit for 7 years haha. And second, I'm not a felon and don't really study laws on it hahaha.

Whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepDog78 View Post
I set up a GoFundMe page to try to raise some money to help purchase a handgun for home defense.
Old 10-15-2013, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Don't ask why, but I was SUPER nervous when I took it. Not that it was hard or anything, I guess it was just that I was the only one and had just finished watching a silly video on the HSC. Or, maybe I was scared I would fail miserably on such an easy test.

I missed one.

I was like "HUH???" I was kind of shocked. Being OCD as I am, I went and went over all of the questions again before I turned it in. I thought I got them all right. So, in my arrogance, I got the smack-down! LOL!

He asked if I wanted to know which one I got wrong. I said, nah...It don't matter no how.

Afterwards, I got my Springfield 1911 Loaded! Then, I kind of panicked since I didn't quite have my 2nd proof of residency yet (I just moved). Good thing the gal at City Arms East-Pleasant Hill was kind enough to give me the suggestion of going to AAA for my change of address on my car registration.

That's my story...The stuff of legend...or maybe not.

Happy shooting and be safe!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-15-2013, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

You don't have a "Class" 03 C&R FFL.

It's a "Type" 03 C&R FFL.

Yes there is a difference between "Class" and "Type" when talking about FFL's.
Old 10-15-2013, 7:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Turners in Oxnard made me take it at the register not the gun counter. That's a weird feeling, having everyone stand over you and watch what you're doing. Got 100%
Old 10-15-2013, 7:56 PM

Last pistol I bought from LGS - I was filling out papers - two guys taking HSC test - both failed - I was thinking holy sheet, I don't want these guys to have guns....

But then I thought - what they really need is for one of us old timers to take them to the range and teach them

Gun store employee did a nice job of going over test with them - suggested another read thru on the manual -

They were gone by the time I was done - I hope they find a mentor

Steve
Old 10-15-2013, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

100%

I read technical manuals for work so retaining information is pretty easy for me.

NRA Benefactor Member
NRA Golden Eagle
SAF Life Member
CGN Contributor
Old 10-15-2013, 8:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobek View Post
Last pistol I bought from LGS - I was filling out papers - two guys taking HSC test - both failed - I was thinking holy sheet, I don't want these guys to have guns....

But then I thought - what they really need is for one of us old timers to take them to the range and teach them

Gun store employee did a nice job of going over test with them - suggested another read thru on the manual -

They were gone by the time I was done - I hope they find a mentor

Steve
That's a pretty cool thought. Teach them the right way from the beginning.
Old 10-15-2013, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

When I took the ASVAB at MEPS, I was in the room with a guy that couldn't get past the sample questions in order to take the actual test. I would imagine he would have a difficult time with the HSC.
Old 10-15-2013, 9:12 PM

Who needs a HSC when u have LTC.
Old 10-15-2013, 9:21 PM

I got all my answers wrong. The lady looked at me like I was retarded. Turned out she aligned the answer sheet wrong and I got all of them right...I returned the look she gave me.
Old 10-15-2013, 9:32 PM

Having never read any CA laws, never visited a forum like this, nor had any conversation about gun laws...and I walked in on a whim to buy a handgun. The shopowner said I needed an HSC and handed me the test...I took it and passed, missing only 1 question (interfamilial transfers)

The vast majority of the questions are "what is a safe direction? A. pointed at another person B. Downrange C' Up..." sort of questions that a brain dead monkey could answer. They throw a couple of technical questions in, like interfamilal transfer (I assume brother<->sister was fine). But you can get those wrong.

The CA HSC stands to a firearm's license/permit to purchase in other states (North East especially) like a captcha stands to an SAT (hence why others, including the NRA, often report wrongly about it, e.g. over 683, they know much more draconian versions).

The fear, of course, is that in the future they could make the text harder and harder
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM

IMHO this test needs to be ...... a lot ...... harder than it actually is.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned

I was doing a PPT last year and there was a guy who failed the test. I over heard the LGS salesman say he missed 9 and he couldn't get the HSC. The guy taking the test didn't speak a lick of English and didn't know what was going on.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X View Post
I was doing a PPT last year and there was a guy who failed the test. I over heard the LGS salesman say he missed 9 and he couldn't get the HSC. The guy taking the test didn't speak a lick of English and didn't know what was going on.
Wow. That's sad. Can you imagine how many people that can't understand the test and actually passed???

Happy shooting and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Knowing that "you must be 21 to purchase a handgun" has NOTHING to do with "Handgun Safety".

The law questions are tossed in there to see if you know the law, just like the DMV tests. It is a way to make people read the booklet.

The important questions are "What are the 6 rules of handgun safety?" (they added two to the original 4) and "which end does the bullet come out of?"

Missing stuff that is law related has nothing to do with whether or not you understand how to safely handle a firearm.

The DMV test has things like "What percentage of people under 18 are involved in car accidents" like WTF? Who cares, just don't be one of them.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Wow. That's sad. Can you imagine how many people that can't understand the test and actually passed???

Happy shooting and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Well, there are MILLIONS of people who don't read or speak a lick of English and know how to handle firearms safely.

Also, it's multiple choice isn't it? So in theory a baby can pass the test with enough luck and a crayon.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 10-16-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido-sig View Post
I got all my answers wrong. The lady looked at me like I was retarded. Turned out she aligned the answer sheet wrong and I got all of them right...I returned the look she gave me.
lol!

All Gave Some, Some Gave All...
Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

lol i never studied anything and took the HSC test with a 100% score. Most of it is common sense.
Old 10-16-2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
When I took the ASVAB at MEPS, I was in the room with a guy that couldn't get past the sample questions in order to take the actual test. I would imagine he would have a difficult time with the HSC.
Yep, he's probably a colonel in the Army by now.

NRA Patron-Life Member
Old 10-16-2013, 2:33 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

me no by gunn cause no pas test me keap going studie
Old 10-16-2013, 9:10 PM

I got mine today! Missed one
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 AM

How often do you have to renew the HSC?
Old 10-17-2013, 1:33 AM

Congrats, from my understanding per SB683, you actually need this to purchase long guns now. I am ok with that.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
You can miss up to 7 and still pass that test.
I missed one question. While taking the test I kept thinking: " this is too simple, there must be a trick" Anyhow, the question I missed was case of over thinking it, assuming it was like a DMV trick question. Boy, I hope I never have to shoot next to someone who missed 7!
Old 10-17-2013, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy View Post
How often do you have to renew the HSC?
6 yrs
Old 10-17-2013, 1:22 PM

That's exactly the question I needed help, I thought it was 10 years. But my LGS helped me in that one if their 1st questions when buying a gun is "have you ever been convicted of a felony?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
I only missed the 1 the very first time I got my HSC. The one about felons and guns. Like how long til they are able to have them. I put 7 years. I was getting bankrupsy mixed up which it's stays on your credit for 7 years haha. And second, I'm not a felon and don't really study laws on it hahaha.

Whoops
Old 10-17-2013, 1:23 PM
Veteran Member

My son took it on his 18th birthday about a month ago and got 100%.