Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 7:11 AM

Default Open carrying in the CA backcountry

So now with the recent court ruling in the 9th Circuit, can I take my G20 and a chest holster and go backpacking in the Sierras? I have a CCW but the G20 is not on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
So now with the recent court ruling in the 9th Circuit, can I take my G20 and a chest holster and go backpacking in the Sierras? I have a CCW but the G20 is not on it.

The law hasn't changed despite the ruling. I'm sure it will get appealed and go through more of the legal process. If you have room to add a firearm to your CCW you might as well add your G20. So that way if you are carrying in the mountains it will be on your CCW which wouldn't hurt.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by jwfire25; 08-18-2018 at 7:39 AM..
Old 08-18-2018, 7:38 AM

If you are in the national Forest, you can legally open carry.
Old 08-18-2018, 8:02 AM

This might help:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=186457
Old 08-18-2018, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title1guy View Post

Thanks, very helpful

Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Check your CCW license. If it only permits carrying concealed and you are asking about open carry . . . .
It should be :
Quote:
A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
Carry in a chest holster is not concealed.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Sure you can as long as no one sees you. Run up against a SF metrosexual on a mountain bike and you may get pushback (I have in the middle of no where).
Old 08-18-2018, 11:05 AM

Years ago I was hiking up Whitney wearing a Vietnam era M14 bayonet on a web belt. I got a couple incredulous comments by snowflakes on the trail. And that's just a knife....
Old 08-18-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Sure you can as long as no one sees you. Run up against a SF metrosexual on a mountain bike and you may get pushback (I have in the middle of no where).

Exactly. I was hiking in Marin just a few weeks ago and was carrying on my belt. I can just imagine hiking on those trails down into Stinson beach with a chest holster.

Which is why I was asking about that recent 9th Circuit ruling. Not that I would try it there but it would be nice to know you were covered legally.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:02 PM

The CCW is meaningless if you are open carry and/or carry a firearm not on the permit.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
The CCW is meaningless if you are open carry and/or carry a firearm not on the permit.
Correct. But wouldn't hurt to have it on there if you have room on your CCW

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Even if Young v Hawaii becomes final the law of California remains to be challenged. Young challenged the law of Hawaii because its statutory scheme prevented him from getting either a license to carry openly or concealed. Peruta en banc held that only issuance of a concealed carry license had been challenged; not the entire statutory scheme. (I know it is a fiction but that is how they ruled and SCOTUS denied an appeal.) California's law needs to be challenged on the ground that it violates the 2A because a regular law abiding person is barred from carrying in public in any manner; openly or concealed.

Last edited by Chewy65; 08-18-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Old 08-18-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
California's law needs to be challenged on the ground that it violates the 2A because a regular law abiding person is barred from carrying in public in any manner; openly or concealed.

Chewy nailed it again! This

Old 08-18-2018, 10:44 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Even if Young v Hawaii becomes final the law of California remains to be challenged. Young challenged the law of Hawaii because its statutory scheme prevented him from getting either a license to carry openly or concealed. Peruta en banc held that only issuance of a concealed carry license had been challenged; not the entire statutory scheme. (I know it is a fiction but that is how they ruled and SCOTUS denied an appeal.) California's law needs to be challenged on the ground that it violates the 2A because a regular law abiding person is barred from carrying in public in any manner; openly or concealed.
CA allows for the open carry of unloaded antique firearms. [PC 16520(d)(5)&(6)]

AFAIK...
The initial lower court ruling in Peruta found CA may issue CCW system was legal because unloaded open carry is an "acceptable" alternative for carrying a firearm in public for protection. This was appealed to the Ninth Circuit when CA banned unloaded open carry. But, the Ninth Circuit En Banc killed that challenge, because open carry of unloaded antique firearms was not banned. So, it's apparent that the Ninth Circuit finds that (open carry of unloaded antique firearm) as an acceptable method for carrying for self protection in public.

Penal Code 16520
(a) As used in this part, “firearm” means a device, designed to be used as a weapon, from which is expelled through a barrel, a projectile by the force of an explosion or other form of combustion.
(d) As used in the following provisions, “firearm” does not include an unloaded antique firearm:
(5) Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 26350) of Division 5 of Title 4.
(6) Chapter 7 (commencing with Section 26400) of Division 5 of Title 4.

Penal Code 26350
(a)(1) A person is guilty of openly carrying an unloaded handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an exposed and unloaded handgun outside a vehicle while in or on any of the following:
(A) A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county.
(B) A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county.
(C) A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.
(2) A person is guilty of openly carrying an unloaded handgun when that person carries an exposed and unloaded handgun inside or on a vehicle, whether or not on his or her person, while in or on any of the following:
(A) A public place or public street in an incorporated city or city and county.
(B) A public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county or city and county.
(C) A public place in a prohibited area of a county or city and county.

Penal Code 26400
(a) A person is guilty of carrying an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun when that person carries upon his or her person an unloaded firearm that is not a handgun outside a vehicle while in any of the following areas:
(1) An incorporated city or city and county.
(2) A public place or a public street in a prohibited area of an unincorporated area of a county.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 08-19-2018, 5:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
California's law needs to be challenged on the ground that it violates the 2A because a regular law abiding person is barred from carrying in public in any manner; openly or concealed.
Exactly. And if such a case gets to a new and improved U.S. Supreme Court, California will become “shall issue” in every county.

Old 08-19-2018, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Exactly. And if such a case gets to a new and improved U.S. Supreme Court, California will become “shall issue” in every county.

I doubt Los Angeleez will ever comply, or they'll just make additional laws around it.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
CA allows for the open carry of unloaded antique firearms. [PC 16520(d)(5)&(6)]

AFAIK...
The initial lower court ruling in Peruta found CA may issue CCW system was legal because unloaded open carry is an "acceptable" alternative for carrying a firearm in public for protection. This was appealed to the Ninth Circuit when CA banned unloaded open carry. But, the Ninth Circuit En Banc killed that challenge, because open carry of unloaded antique firearms was not banned. So, it's apparent that the Ninth Circuit finds that (open carry of unloaded antique firearm) as an acceptable method for carrying for self protection in public.

. . .

I must have missed a lot, but I didn't think that the en banc majority even ruled as to the constitutionality of California's open carry law at the time of the lower court ruling or after unloaded open carry was arguably banned. It refused to do so as open carry law had not been challenged and it was illogical to determine the constitutionality of it by applying the 2nd to concealed carry when the 2nd had already been held not to protect concealed carry. I must have been asleep at the switch, but I don't even recall it discussing the open carry of antiques.