Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Default I only seek the impossible in life...

So, finally I am deploying later this year, after three years of begging and special requests...it's been a battle but better late than never.

In keeping with the title, I know that what I am about to ask is indeed next to impossible but not completly unheard of and I am seeking advice on how to go about the task. That task, carrying my grandfather's great uncle's 1911. He carried in WWI, my grandfater in WWII and Korea and my fater in Vietnam, I would like to continue this "trend".

Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated.

Cheers-
Old 06-01-2011, 12:54 PM

from what I've read through a short google search it would appear that you will be able to get it over there but you stand less than a snowball's chance in hell at getting it back stateside.
Old 06-01-2011, 1:27 PM

nope, can't do it, sorry.
Old 06-01-2011, 2:43 PM

1. Thank you for your service.

2. Be careful with what you wish for.

3. Rules have changed, you can't legally take your weapon there and back as far as I know. I have heard it can go, but it can't come home with you. At least that was what they told us in the briefs I got. The KBR guys were saying the same thing.

Last edited by Lost; 06-01-2011 at 3:02 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 2:59 PM

Has anyone tried registering a weapon with (I think) either customs or the ATF as you are leaving the country ? I believe they have a form/system specifically for weapons leaving the country with you that states that you intend to return to the country with it.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 06-01-2011, 3:42 PM

Ah dont risk it! That is something not worth risking. Your already doing a great service and your family will be extremely proud, even if the pistol doesnt make it. Keep the tradition alive by keeping the hadngun in your family. not worth the risk. My personal opinion.

On another note BE SAFE!
Old 06-01-2011, 3:54 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Maybe take the grips only and place on a 1911 there that you can leave behind, whilst returning stateside with the grips.

It's not the same to be sure, but your ancestors karma will be on those grips and you will think of them every time you handle it.

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 06-01-2011, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

The only way to do it is a pain.

You have to get the weapon registered to your Armory. As long as it's on the count you can take it over and bring it back. Your best bet to do this is to talk to the NCOIC of your Armory. It's not going to be the same paperwork as checking your weapon into the Armory. So make sure it's the right paperwork you sign. The later will get your weapon in a no go status on the trip back.

However be warned. That in a fire fight should the need arise to trade a magazine with someone you will be screwing yourself or the man next to you.

I will say that nothing stops a threat like a .45

Keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel.

If you get a funny feeling in your gut, trust it!
Old 06-01-2011, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese Falcon View Post
Maybe take the grips only and place on a 1911 there that you can leave behind, whilst returning stateside with the grips.

It's not the same to be sure, but your ancestors karma will be on those grips and you will think of them every time you handle it.

1911's aren't issued anymore. They use M9s...
Old 06-01-2011, 5:39 PM

I will say no unless you fit most of these criteria. I assume that you wont fit the criteria i would be looking for but this is the internet so who knows.

1. Are you in a SF unit, Ranger Unit or a unit with very little supervision?

2. Are you and E-8 and above, 0-4 and above or a W-3 and above?

3.Will your unit be going through customs?

Like many people have said before. The chances aren't very good and the risk is not worth it. Start a new tradition with a knife. I knew a guy who wore a Flag in his body armor and kept track of the missions he ran and at the end of the Deployment he framed the Flag and made a plaque with the amount of missions ran and the amount of days he was deployed. He also kept a journal for future Generations.
Old 06-01-2011, 6:44 PM

about the only way you could get away with it is if you're on a military flight the whole way and somebody on the crew likes you enough to hide your gun until customs leaves. A buddy of mine brought a ton of rum back from Puerto Rico by slapping a mission equipment sticker on some large pelican cases. It worked especially well since nobody at customs was allowed to see into a crate that may or may not have also contained classified stuff. My neighbor also brought back some nice statues from greece tax free because he flew on the jet and left them on the jet until the next day when customs wasn't there. It also helps that customs also wasn't allowed to see the inside of that jet due to the mission of said jet, so they couldn't sneak a peek to see if anybody was trying to avoid the paying them money.
Old 06-01-2011, 9:38 PM

You can bring it there, your not going to get it back. in 06, one of our guys dad was a cop and sent him a glock, he kept it on the DL for a while, then got caught and go in trouble. bye bye glock.
If it has that much importance to you as a family heirloom then leave it here.

That being said, if you know a medic you can unscrew the tops to the oxygen tanks, wrap it in bubble wrap and seal it up on the tank on the way back. I know of an LT that owns a few AK's from doing that.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM

There are ways but its REALLY risky, just carry your M9 and bring OEM or Mec-Gar mags.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hump0311 View Post

You have to get the weapon registered to your Armory. As long as it's on the count you can take it over and bring it back. Your best bet to do this is to talk to the NCOIC of your Armory. It's not going to be the same paperwork as checking your weapon into the Armory. So make sure it's the right paperwork you sign. The later will get your weapon in a no go status on the trip back.

However be warned. That in a fire fight should the need arise to trade a magazine with someone you will be screwing yourself or the man next to you.

Doesn't quite work that way. Dont put your Personal Weapon in your Armory. The armorers will play with it and it will be a pain just to be able to take it out to the range. Trust me its a pain I told all new guys not to put it in the armory.

To be American is to disobey.
Old 06-02-2011, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroFox79 View Post
Doesn't quite work that way. Dont put your Personal Weapon in your Armory. The armorers will play with it and it will be a pain just to be able to take it out to the range. Trust me its a pain I told all new guys not to put it in the armory.
+1 on that, don't trust those armorers with your weapons, if you can, move off base.
Old 06-02-2011, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroFox79 View Post
Depends on how well you know and trust your armorers. Ours is probably one of the most trustworthy guys in the unit- I wouldn't hesitate to leave a weapon of mine in his care.
"... You feel the anger thinking of the loved ones you will never see again, and losing your life infuriates your soul. You rage to get to your feet and grab for a weapon, any weapon. Regardless of your race, culture, or religion, you want to die standing, fighting like a warrior, an American, so others won't have to. For those looking for a definition, this is the price of freedom.”

------
SGT Thomas Macpherson KIA 12 OCT 2012
SFC Ryan Savard KIA 13 OCT 2012
"Sine Pari"
Old 06-03-2011, 6:41 PM

Dont do it. I lost a brandnew Tippman A5 to the arms room
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Whose idea was it to not allow personal sidearms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
That being said, if you know a medic you can unscrew the tops to the oxygen tanks, wrap it in bubble wrap and seal it up on the tank on the way back. I know of an LT that owns a few AK's from doing that.
American ingenuity at it's finest.

Last edited by FNH5-7; 06-08-2011 at 12:04 AM..
Old 06-08-2011, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
Depends on how well you know and trust your armorers. Ours is probably one of the most trustworthy guys in the unit- I wouldn't hesitate to leave a weapon of mine in his care.
I never messed with guys weapons who decided to leave them in the armory, only if they wanted me to work on them. But, at least in the Marine Corps, It is a pain to get your weapon out to go shooting at the range over the wekend. From what I remember, one has to get written permission from the Battalion CO to be able to check out the weapon over the weekend. Now this isn't a problem if you are one of his admin sluts, but if you are a regular guy in one of the companies, or batteries if you are artillery, then its a pain in the ***. Basically it more hassle than it is worth to leave it in the armory. I would find an NCO or another friend who lives out in town to leave it with, in the case that you live in the barracks.

Old 06-08-2011, 8:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
You can bring it there, your not going to get it back. in 06, one of our guys dad was a cop and sent him a glock, he kept it on the DL for a while, then got caught and go in trouble. bye bye glock.
If it has that much importance to you as a family heirloom then leave it here.

We made a false floor in a quad con so we could get a few weapons we found over there back, including a M1 Garand that my Staff Sgt. still has.

Old 06-08-2011, 5:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Loco View Post
Has anyone tried registering a weapon with (I think) either customs or the ATF as you are leaving the country ? I believe they have a form/system specifically for weapons leaving the country with you that states that you intend to return to the country with it.
Is that how the big game hunters that go hunting in Africa do it?

I know it's the military but it could be somewhat similar to how hunters do it when they go on international hunting trips. I'm sure they must sign some papers before they leave the states and customs checks them out.

Who's the one giving service members trouble? is it customs or the military branches themselves? Who's rule is it?

Last edited by FNH5-7; 06-08-2011 at 6:29 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 6:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hump0311 View Post

Not sure how it works for you guys but for us, it would have to be "donated" to the unit and you most likley would never get it back, if you were able to carry it at all. We have a MTOE that says who carries what, if it aint on the MTOE, it doesnt get issued.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:11 PM

gentlemen-

I know belated, but thank you for all the replies. I did go to AFG and I did return and did not end up pressing the issue witht the Chain of Command.

As suggested, I did not take the weapon, as amazing as it would have been to carry on the family tradition, I did not make the attempt to take the weapon into theather with me. It would have added an interesting twist to an already amazing weapon, WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam and OEF. That would be cool...but as a Staff Sargeant, I do not hold the rank of a Colonel or General and am not in Special Forces so my options are limitied to the issued Beretta M9 (which I do love).

Thanks again gentlemen, I truly appreciate the input.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Bring back the Lions.
CGN Contributor

Thank you for your service.

Damn shame about not being allowed to continue the tradition.
Old 01-31-2013, 9:23 AM

How will you get ammo?

They will not allow you to do that. If you had to fight 3 years to get on a deployment then you aren't in a unit that would allow you to use personal weapons, much less a personal weapon that we don't even have ammo for.
Old 01-31-2013, 3:14 PM

Part it out store it in your gear
Return the same way
Old 02-06-2013, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd2968 View Post
Part it out store it in your gear
Return the same way
Everything gets x rayed now days coming back. However no one really gave a crap when it came to our weapons coming back. Someone had a Sig in our main body coming back , some CPT . All they said was throw your rifles and pistols on the x ray machine belt and step through the metal detector.
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 02-06-2013, 8:04 PM

Marines are returning in small numbers back to Uncle John's kick *** 1911. Not sure about the other branches, aside for Spec Op types. That would be on option should you be a Jarhead
Old 02-10-2013, 7:21 AM

I hope to God that the Air Force would buy that fine piece of war fighting equipment for us Security Forces folks. But realistically I know they won't because its the Air Force
Old 02-12-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Any advice on how to go about this would be much appreciated.
Don't do it.

Technically carrying personal weapons is not against regulations, at least Army regs, nor is it against the Geneva convention... you'll hear both and it's not true (unless they've changed the regs in the past few years).

What it does violate is the theater commander's orders. All theaters have standing orders that troops will not deploy into theater with personal weapons. You'll see it on your unit mob order.

There may be additional orders preventing it as well. At best you'll lose the weapon. At worst you'll lose some stripes or even your freedom.
Old 02-12-2013, 3:36 AM

dltd

Last edited by gc61132l; 06-13-2013 at 2:22 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 2:39 PM

Keep this in mind.

You will get njpd if they find out, possibly a court marshall.

You won't be able to carry it, at all. We got yelled at for the wrong people seeing pictures that were taken of us, outside the wire. This was like rolled sleeves, unbloused boots, things of that nature if someone saw a non issued weapon on someone's hip they would be out for blood. Bring the holster or keep the firing pin on you. If you can't carry the gun what's the difference between it sitting buried in a footlocker at home as opposed to in country.
Old 02-14-2013, 5:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post

I know it's the military but it could be somewhat similar to how hunters do it when they go on international hunting trips. I'm sure they must sign some papers before they leave the states and customs checks them out.

Who's the one giving service members trouble? is it customs or the military branches themselves? Who's rule is it?
Taking a hunting gun out of the country and bringing it back is done on a Customs Form 4457.

http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf

You fill it out and bring the form and the gun to a US Customs office (most big airports have one)and get them to sign and authorize it.

The Military used to send service members to the US Custom's inspector course to clear military units themselves when they return to CONUS. I was a Military Custom's Inspector for two diifferent submarines back in the 1980's. They do the searches and certify that everything brought back into the country is legal, collect duty on excess purchases made overseas, size contraband, etc.

I don't know if they still do it that way but that's what we did in the 70's and 80's.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-14-2013, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Taking a hunting gun out of the country and bringing it back is done on a Customs Form 4457.

You fill it out and bring the form and the gun to a US Customs office (most big airports have one)and get them to sign and authorize it.

The Military used to send service members to the US Custom's inspector course to clear military units themselves when they return to CONUS. I was a Military Custom's Inspector for two diifferent submarines back in the 1980's. They do the searches and certify that everything brought back into the country is legal, collect duty on excess purchases made overseas, sieze contraband, etc.

I don't know if they still do it that way but that's what we did in the 70's and 80's.

Old 02-14-2013, 5:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

The Military used to send service members to the US Custom's inspector course to clear military units themselves when they return to CONUS. I was a Military Custom's Inspector for two diifferent submarines back in the 1980's. They do the searches and certify that everything brought back into the country is legal, collect duty on excess purchases made overseas, sieze contraband, etc.

Old 02-14-2013, 5:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
Not sure how it works for you guys but for us, it would have to be "donated" to the unit and you most likley would never get it back, if you were able to carry it at all. We have a MTOE that says who carries what, if it aint on the MTOE, it doesnt get issued.
pretty much this. dude leave it at home it will be there when you get back.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.