Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 06-07-2018, 9:37 PM

Default Powder measure on a redding T-7

Anyone running this type of setup?

I see on midway that they sell a RCBS case actuated linkage for rcbs powder measure but what else is needed to set this up?

I assume this can be done when flaring cases, what are the dies called that allow you to do this?

Thanks in advance gents.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Well, that is one way to do it.

But I don't. I prime and I dispense powder off the press. Might be an old guy 1970s thing. To each is own.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:54 PM

I did it. Used the measure and case activated powder drop linkage setup from my RCBS Pro 2000 Auto Progressive Press, it screws right into the T-7 turret and once adjusted for the cartridge makes powder charging quick. Saves a lot of bench space.

Also will work with a Hornady LnL Powder Measure (which is the same as the RCBS made under license) https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...nd-accessories and the very same linkage kit, also the same as the RCBS, https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...accessories#!/ Just down this page are the Powder Through Expanders, which are self explanatory, and the Quick Change Powder Die to mount the Case Activated Powder Drop and measure.

Last edited by Wrangler John; 06-10-2018 at 10:57 PM..
Old 06-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

I use a Lee Auto Drum on my progressive. You could do the same thing on a turret. For pistol I use the Lee Powder through dies which flares the mouth and activates the powder dropper. For rifle you use a rifle charging die, that only activates the dropper.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCastle View Post
Anyone running this type of setup?

I see on midway that they sell a RCBS case actuated linkage for rcbs powder measure but what else is needed to set this up?

I assume this can be done when flaring cases, what are the dies called that allow you to do this?

Thanks in advance gents.
I recently did this on a RCBS Quick change powder measure to mount on my Pro-2000. The RCBS case actuated link system will work any RCBS Powder measure that has the UPM body and will mount on any press that has the standard 7/8-14 thread. If you buy the kit (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/80...ed-linkage-kit) it will not flare flare the cases though. To flare the cases (I'm assuming your loading pistol?), you'll need the RCBS case activated Powder Expander (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...xpander-45-acp. I linked 45 ACP just for an example.

One thing to keep in mind, RCBS used to offer two different drum sizes for UPM's. A large (for medium and large rifle) and a small drum (for small rifle and pistol). To load pistol rounds you'll want to make sure you have the small powder drum because the larger drum will have large powder fluctuations on small charges. If you need a smaller drum let me know. I have a spare I can sell.

Hope this all helps!

Last edited by Paseclipse; 06-11-2018 at 11:53 PM..
Old 06-13-2018, 4:33 PM

I use a Dillon powder measure for pistol calibers on a Lyman turret press. It works great!
Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

For me the advantage of a single stage press like the T 7 is precision loading. I measure powder separately when using my T 7. I use a Lee Auto powder measure for my Progressive press.