Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 05-31-2018, 7:48 PM

Default PSE Nighthawk 35lb?

How's this bow? I'm thinking of using sights and a riser later on.

Any other good bows to consider in the $150-200 price range? I can go up as high as $300 since I'm a beginner and not quite sure what my preferences are just yet.
Old 06-01-2018, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

What are you going to use it for? The Samick Sage is a wildly popular bow for beginners. Start with a 25-30 lb limb to get a feel for how a recurve shoots. You can swap to heavier limbs later as your strength builds.

Not sure what you mean by adding a "riser" later on. Every recurve bow has a riser, limbs, and string.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sami...curve-bow.html
Old 06-01-2018, 4:00 PM

I had never seen a PSE Nighthawk so I looked it up. It looks identical to a Samick Sage. Interesting. Anyway, I agree that the Sage is a fine entry level bow (and probably so is the Nighthawk) and I also am confused about the "riser" comment.

Another option would be an ILF bow. ILF stands for international limb fittings. You can easily buy an ILF riser and limbs and stay within your budget. This gives you the advantage of a HUGE selection of limbs and other accessories later on.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sale...ser&Trigger=ac

Since there are so many options with ILF bows, you probably would want to call Lancaster or stop by your local archery shop and talk to someone who can help you out.

Tim
Old 06-01-2018, 10:07 PM

Sorry guys, the proper term I was thinking of is shelf.

The store employee recommended AAE Champion II Rest and Master Plunger.

I'll take a look at the Sagewick too.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2018, 2:27 PM

Nighthawk is fine. Sage is fine. Just don't put sights & gizmos on it unless you're strictly thinking about form/target archery. It's a flexible platform that is a jack of all trades & master of none. You can press it into service as a target bow by adding sights, stabilizers, clickers, slings, etc. but it doesn't excell there. As a hunting bow, it's probably better. There are better hunting bows but it will work just fine. Shoot off the shelf. Learn your gaps or shoot instinctive. Learn how to shoot from all angles & positions. Limit your range to 20 yards or less.

These production recurves are a lot like Glocks -- functional, accurate enough, blocky & kinda heavy for what they are. But they'll get the job done if you do your part.

At 35#, you could be hunting small game. If your draw is 28" or over, you could hunt deer with it, although another 5-10# of draw weight would be better. 35# isn't ideal for big game but if it's all I had, I'd just keep my shots within 15 yards & wait for the perfect shot opportunity. I shoot with 50# limbs for hunting.

If you're just starting out with traditional archery, opt for lighter weight limbs. 35# may be a little heavy depending on your experience. I started out with 30# limbs and still use them for form work. They were on the heavy side for me when I got back into things a few years ago and I'm no slouch in the fitness dept. Over about a year, I worked up to 45# and then went up to 50# the following year. The Samick or PSE platforms are good, modular setups that let you move up and down depending on what you want to do.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
Nighthawk is fine. Sage is fine. Just don't put sights & gizmos on it unless you're strictly thinking about form/target archery. It's a flexible platform that is a jack of all trades & master of none. You can press it into service as a target bow by adding sights, stabilizers, clickers, slings, etc. but it doesn't excell there. As a hunting bow, it's probably better. There are better hunting bows but it will work just fine. Shoot off the shelf. Learn your gaps or shoot instinctive. Learn how to shoot from all angles & positions. Limit your range to 20 yards or less.

These production recurves are a lot like Glocks -- functional, accurate enough, blocky & kinda heavy for what they are. But they'll get the job done if you do your part.

At 35#, you could be hunting small game. If your draw is 28" or over, you could hunt deer with it, although another 5-10# of draw weight would be better. 35# isn't ideal for big game but if it's all I had, I'd just keep my shots within 15 yards & wait for the perfect shot opportunity. I shoot with 50# limbs for hunting.

If you're just starting out with traditional archery, opt for lighter weight limbs. 35# may be a little heavy depending on your experience. I started out with 30# limbs and still use them for form work. They were on the heavy side for me when I got back into things a few years ago and I'm no slouch in the fitness dept. Over about a year, I worked up to 45# and then went up to 50# the following year. The Samick or PSE platforms are good, modular setups that let you move up and down depending on what you want to do.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback, I ended up going with the 30# as you suggested. Will take her out for a test drive this week.

As far as instinctive/gap technique goes, what online resource would you recommend?
Old 06-11-2018, 3:10 AM
Veteran Member

Curious if you went with a Samick Sage or PSE? I bought a Sage a couple years ago and its a great begginer bow.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Hank 15: for gaps, look at Jimmy Blackmon. For overall technique, Jimmy Blackmon, Clay Hayes, Arne... plenty of options.

For me, gaps were easier to start with. Sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control, follow through just changes to sight picture, sight alignment, release, follow through. After a while, I've developed an instinctive aim within 20 yards. Some people advocate starting with instinctive & letting your mind develop the proper aim. But that was too hard for me. I preferred to use gaps to help work on all the other variables of the shot. In other words, if I'm holding at the same spot and the arrow is hitting different spots, then it wasn't my aim that was off. But I've settled into a more instinctive style within 20 yards. At 20 and beyond, I still use gaps. But that's just for fun anyway. Serious work for hunting is always within 20.

Good luck!